Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by HaulCitgo »

For real. Was going to ask about national merit but I'd bet that's enough. Congrats to kid and im sure we'll earned. Bit uncouth with the numbers but definitely allowed as proud dad.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:30 am For real. Was going to ask about national merit but I'd bet that's enough. Congrats to kid and im sure we'll earned. Bit uncouth with the numbers but definitely allowed as proud dad.
Fully uncouth...Last night as I was cooking, I asked my son. Hey did you get your score and his response was, "Yeah, I did alright. Still need to knock time off my 2k." (2K is the standard measure for for rowing).

The whole National Merit thing is strange. It is done by state. So the top n percent in each state earn that accolade. The scholarship money you compete for is tiny. Last year a 1480 or 1490 was on the outside for VA.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just got a text from my daughter's HS coach that she is getting an award for being named to the County all-star team. Probably just a conference award, but looking at past years, very few freshmen even get honorable mention. Of course the banquet is the one day both my wife and I are travelling for work, she is returning that night, I fly out in the afternoon. Trying to figure out if this is something we need to change work travel to attend.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So we get a note from the crew club secretary today. Due to unforseen issues, practice is cancelled. So So of wlu_lax6 sends a text. Going to teammates house to do today's workout. I go to the gym and get home just after he gets out of the shower. We sit down for dinner and he starts talking about his day. AP capstone this and Spanish was boring. My wife says, why was practice cancelled. "Oh during study hall one of the new kids on the team had a seizure. He is okay." The goes on to say he is picking up a sophomore to make sure he gets to weight room tomorrow.

About 3 minutes later my wife gets a text from a classmate/teammate's mom asking if Andrew was alright (her son was pretty shaken). considering he was a hero.

My wife asks him for the full story. So he the says, the new kid started shaking and fell.out of chair, turned purple and had blood coming out of his mouth. So my son jumps up gets something under his head and gets ready for chest compressions. Tells the room monitor to call 911 and sends 3 kids to meet the ambulance. Sends another set of kids to see if the school nurse is there and a few more to make sure he has space on the floor. Monitors the kid as he starts to come back and keeps everyone calm. Basically took control of the situation when the adult and other kids froze.

So my email is now blowing up from his coaches and other parents saying what a great kid my boy is and he would not have said anything if not dragged out of him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Holy shit, dude. That’s amazing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, that’s incredible. Nice work crew_lax.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That’s awesome, Wlu!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice work, young Wlu!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's amazing!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nice job, Wlu the younger! Did he have some kind of advanced first-aid training?

Drove back from SoCal the last couple of days with the older daughter. She had an amazing experience doing the "Naturalists at Large" camps over the last 4 months. Got to see most of the sights in California, including Catalina, Yosemite, Sequoia, Pinnacles, and Joshua Tree. Today she started a seasonal job at a bougie jewelry store that goes until end of January. Should keep her busy while she tries to figure out what's next.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:57 pm Nice job, Wlu the younger! Did he have some kind of advanced first-aid training?
They teach basic stuff in 10th grade as part of the PE/Health/Driver's Ed course.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nice job lil lax. CPR training seems like a worthwhile family activity
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I got chills from that, wlu. Amazing job and thanks for sharing
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

good lord wlu, you did good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

His son did. He just sat around eating dinner and checking emails.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

fixed
mister d wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:38 pm His sun did. He just sat around eating diner and checking emales.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The 9 year old started a season of Retro Goal on his phone and chose Blackpool as his squad because it was the only team he knew. Your move, young wlu.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just heard my 8 year old respond to "what time is it" with "time for you to get a watch, son". I've succeeded.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:26 pm Just heard my 8 year old respond to "what time is it" with "time for you to get a watch, son". I've succeeded.
Especially in an age where few people wear watches. Might want to update the watch to a phone. Love that Mr D is ensuring the next generation of wise ass.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:29 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:26 pm Just heard my 8 year old respond to "what time is it" with "time for you to get a watch, son". I've succeeded.
Especially in an age where few people wear watches. Might want to update the watch to a phone. Love that Mr D is ensuring the next generation of wise ass.
I bet more wear a wrist watch/device now than 15 years ago.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:32 pm
I’d take that bet. The first iPhone was only 16 years ago.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm Team AB here. 15 years ago people were wearing watches as statements more than for function ... a lot of those same people probably exist today + all the Apple watches.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:32 pm
Good point, I'm 5 years too late with this comment. Forgot about Apple Watches and similar products.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Scores release from the SATs that were taken 2 weeks ago.....the boy won't have to take the SATs again because he can't score any higher. My wife comes running down the stair screaming from the text he sent. Of course since the summer we have been saying, "you should take a prep test, study a bit." His response, "yup I am on it" and "took some time today to do some test prep." At the bottom of the text "I have a confession to make... I didn't study at all." Proud but the kid is a punk.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I'd probably let his sense of misdirection go, but I understand parenting styles vary.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:45 am I'd probably let his sense of misdirection go, but I understand parenting styles vary.
See, I think the appropriate punishment is not letting him go to college. That'll learn him not lie!

Congrats to Lil' WLU, although he will probably have an Ivy-inspired name.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:51 am Congrats to Lil' WLU, although he will probably have an Ivy-inspired name.
Kid's login ties to his enjoyment of D&D. Which has been funny because he connects "Donjohn" to Dungeon

and not a fairly well known DC Company
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

great job
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice work!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's awesome!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Damn man that's impressive. I'm sure you get much better perks in terms of access for those scores but that's a ticket to standardized test tutoring side hustles til he too rich to need it
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That's damn impressive.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Indeed. Great work wlulax jr!

I've spent the last three evenings helping my son finish off applications to three grad schools - Cornell, Penn, and Colorado. He'd never have finished this if I hadn't flown up to help. Fortunately though, he's trying to get his PhD in Ancient History, so he'll make so much money it'll all be worth it.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:49 amKid's login ties to his enjoyment of D&D. Which has been funny because he connects "Donjohn" to Dungeon

and not a fairly well known DC Company
I would go with the movie for Scarlett Johansson reasons.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hey all you guys with kids! When they move out, if they aren't used to having to scrape a car window because they've always parked in a garage, be sure to tell them they need to get up 15 minutes early so they aren't late on the 4th day of their new job.

Pro tip!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:15 am Hey all you guys with kids! When they move out, if they aren't used to having to scrape a car window because they've always parked in a garage, be sure to tell them they need to get up 15 minutes early so they aren't late on the 4th day of their new job.

Pro tip!
15 minutes? Were they scraping with a q-tip? Turn the car on with the defrosters while you scrape, 5 minutes, tops. Just saw a life hack where someone filled a large ziplock with warm water and slid it down the windows. Not sure if it really works, but it was an interesting idea.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:22 am
A_B wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:15 am Hey all you guys with kids! When they move out, if they aren't used to having to scrape a car window because they've always parked in a garage, be sure to tell them they need to get up 15 minutes early so they aren't late on the 4th day of their new job.

Pro tip!
15 minutes? Were they scraping with a q-tip? Turn the car on with the defrosters while you scrape, 5 minutes, tops. Just saw a life hack where someone filled a large ziplock with warm water and slid it down the windows. Not sure if it really works, but it was an interesting idea.
Well, the 15 would be for ten minutes of defrosting, then scrape anything else off in that last five minutes. The bigger point is there are things you never think to teach or tell a kid because they seem so obvious. But why would he know? So it's a two way street.

21 degrees this AM with snow and a a bit of ice. That's more than 5 minutes!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

There is also defrosting spray bottles that are money. You still need to warm up the car/window or the frost will keep coming back, but it's a lot better than scraping.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/seo/Presto ... 8e4b37.png
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:26 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:22 am

Pro tip!
Well, the 15 would be for ten minutes of defrosting, then scrape anything else off in that last five minutes. The bigger point is there are things you never think to teach or tell a kid because they seem so obvious. But why would he know? So it's a two way street.

21 degrees this AM with snow and a a bit of ice. That's more than 5 minutes!
I've had a lot of moments where my son does something (or fails to do something) really obvious and my initial reaction to call him out for it, but catch myself and realize he has never been in that situation and it's my job to teach him life shit.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Tin foil in the microwave was a near-miss here that fits.