Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Not my kid, but the one I've been trying to advise as best I can through his recruiting process. He's the son of my former friend/best man at my wedding. The first time he texted me after things blew up between the adults, he didn't deny it when I told him I figured his dad told him never to contact me again. But, he has stayed in contact and checked in today to talk about his situation about an hour before he tweeted this:

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:20 pm Not my kid, but the one I've been trying to advise as best I can through his recruiting process. He's the son of my former friend/best man at my wedding. The first time he texted me after things blew up between the adults, he didn't deny it when I told him I figured his dad told him never to contact me again. But, he has stayed in contact and checked in today to talk about his situation about an hour before he tweeted this:

That’s awesome. Sorry I couldn’t connect but that’s a great program.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's great, DSafe.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That’s great Dsafe. Can I ask what happened between the parents? Was that a story I missed? Of course, it’s none of my business.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:20 pm Not my kid, but the one I've been trying to advise as best I can through his recruiting process. He's the son of my former friend/best man at my wedding. The first time he texted me after things blew up between the adults, he didn't deny it when I told him I figured his dad told him never to contact me again. But, he has stayed in contact and checked in today to talk about his situation about an hour before he tweeted this:

And the ingrate didn’t even thank you.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

bfj wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:30 pm That’s great Dsafe. Can I ask what happened between the parents? Was that a story I missed? Of course, it’s none of my business.
It was a blow-up between his dad and me, briefly mentioned here, then I have a follow-up post a little farther down with some details.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 pmThat’s awesome. Sorry I couldn’t connect but that’s a great program.
No worries, I appreciate your efforts all the same. His high school coach had some connection to Kentucky's program and nothing materialized on that end, either.
The Sybian wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:01 amAnd the ingrate didn’t even thank you.
He thinks I want to come watch him play at Rutgers or Penn State in the future, but I'm really coming down to meet him in the parking lot afterward to extract payback for this oversight.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:42 am
The Sybian wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:01 amAnd the ingrate didn’t even thank you.
He thinks I want to come watch him play at Rutgers or Penn State in the future, but I'm really coming down to meet him in the parking lot afterward to extract payback for this oversight.
The one position you hope you never get to see play when you make the trip.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:52 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:42 am
The one position you hope you never get to see play when you make the trip.
While he both kicks and punts, their plan is for him to redshirt next season, then take over as their kicker. In nine games, he made 7 field goals of at least 45 yards, including a 57-yarder.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hey Pruitt, what kind of watch is this?

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:53 am Hey Pruitt, what kind of watch is this?

I'll ask the expert and get back to you...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:53 am Hey Pruitt, what kind of watch is this?
My son says that there he can't make out any distinguishing marks - or a name - that would let him identify it.

Sorry.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

May have to send someone through media training to make sure she stops burying her family. Mom might have to, also.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:19 am May have to send someone through media training to make sure she stops burying her family. Mom might have to, also.
Your daughter’s quote at the end is probably the only accurate quote they included.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:19 am May have to send someone through media training to make sure she stops burying her family. Mom might have to, also.
I also would relieved if I were her...a little DSafe goes a long way, I am sure.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Reporter clearly had an agenda and coaxed out a quote to fit their narrative. Fake news!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The boy ran his first HS track meet (indoor track but ram outdoors).

Coach put him in the second heat for the 1600. He took the lead 100m in. Never looked back. W 200 to go he had a 100m lead. At the last 100 he kicked and I heard parents gasp and say no way.. 15y.o.. ran a 5:07. Two hours later he was at soccer training.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Oldest just had her first high school musical appearance tonight. They did great performing Newsies. Music muffled by masks, but very proud of her and all of the kids.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:30 pm The boy ran his first HS track meet (indoor track but ram outdoors).

Coach put him in the second heat for the 1600. He took the lead 100m in. Never looked back. W 200 to go he had a 100m lead. At the last 100 he kicked and I heard parents gasp and say no way.. 15y.o.. ran a 5:07. Two hours later he was at soccer training.
Maybe you should engage in ridiculously troublesome multiple simultaneous real estate transactions more often.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:30 pm The boy ran his first HS track meet (indoor track but ram outdoors).

That's awesome man, and great that you were able to see it.

Oldest had her first couple of HS meets at the county championships the last couple of weekends at the Toms River bubble. She got boxed in at the start of the 1600 and never fought her way out and ended with a time that qualified her for the finals next month but was easily 15 seconds worse than what she runs at practice and probably farther off what she should hit in actual competition. In the 800 last weekend she busted ass at the start to make sure she didn't get caught up and got away free and clear but didn't throttle down at all and ended up way out in front of everyone else. The main pack included a top 10 HS girl in the state and they slowly reeled her in and she got passed by a bunch of them on the last lap. She qualified for the finals again though, and though she was mortified by how the race played out her time was almost exactly where she would have wanted to be going in. We had to watch it online.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

his heat included the other top freshmen.. guys he has grown up with and play soccer with -- they're both usually neck and neck with him and tend to trade off who wins in practice but neither one could catch him yesterday. it was pretty awesome to see.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

My 9yo found out last week that Flora & Ulysses was a book first, so instead of watching it for movie night last week, she asked us to buy the book so she could read it and make it our movie this week instead. She read the 230-page book during any free time she had this week and we just finished the movie, which she liked, but said she like the book so much more and proceeded to tell me all the things the movie left out.

Maybe this seems small scale, but it's not something I did as a kid, probably not even until my early 20s, so yeah, I'm pretty proud that she's more like her mother in this regard than she is like me.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is very impressive.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's a great time for a first 1600. And man, I bet he loved winning his heat like that. There's no feeling quite like winning a race.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Daughter whose survey most of you filled out (many thanks again) just found out she got a 35 out of 36 on the ACT. She's 4th in class of 700+ with a 4.0 (4.8 weighted however that works) GPA so I'm assuming she can call her college shot.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rams Fanny wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:26 pm Daughter whose survey most of you filled out (many thanks again) just found out she got a 35 out of 36 on the ACT. She's 4th in class of 700+ with a 4.0 (4.8 weighted however that works) GPA so I'm assuming she can call her college shot.
Sounds expensive...that is awesome by the way.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's great!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rams Fanny wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:26 pm Daughter whose survey most of you filled out (many thanks again) just found out she got a 35 out of 36 on the ACT. She's 4th in class of 700+ with a 4.0 (4.8 weighted however that works) GPA so I'm assuming she can call her college shot.
Holy fuck. That's great.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Congrats, super impressive.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Badass!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rams Fanny wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:26 pm ...so I'm assuming she can call her college shot.
That's great, Rams Fanny. But, I warn you. My daughter also got a 35 on the ACT, also kicked ass in GPA and the SAT. And, I was shocked at how many rejection letters she received from colleges. It was more disappointing to me than her, thankfully, but I'm still a bit sore about it. In retrospect, I think it was at least partially because she wasn't regularly visiting college/university websites and showing particular interest in their schools. I think they want to believe your kid REALLY loves their school before they accept you. Also, they can't be modest in their personal statements in the application. Gotta pound the table on how great they are. And, also, my daughter was usually applying into hard, impacted majors. That makes a difference, too. Probably would have helped if I had some connections, but no dice there, too.
Last edited by sancarlos on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

just came home from the boy's second meet.. ran the first heat.. even with the top boy in his HS -- until the third lap.. took off with 300 and kicked it at 200 and again at 100. 800 split at 2:28. Finished at 4:52 - by ten seconds. Said in the car, he will beat the HS freshman record (4:38) this spring and has sights on the the overall HS (local) record (4:16) set by friend of ours some 30yrs ago.

Soccer practice in 2.5hrs.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That is flying!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:08 pm just came home from the boy's second meet.. ran the first heat.. even with the top boy in his HS -- until the third lap.. took off with 300 and kicked it at 200 and again at 100. 800 split at 2:28. Finished at 4:52 - by ten seconds. Said in the car, he will beat the HS freshman record (4:38) this spring and has sights on the the overall HS (local) record (4:16) set by friend of ours some 30yrs ago.

He takes after his old man.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yeah...
no.
he surpassed me in soccer long ago...in HS i ran 6:15
i did run xc in college.. but my best time for the mile was 5:45
he does have my looks though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:42 pm yeah...
no.
he surpassed me in soccer long ago...in HS i ran 6:15
i did run xc in college.. but my best time for the mile was 5:45
he does have my looks though.
Poor kid.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

ja!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

How is his hot sauce recipe?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

i win there.
he has no interest in cooking - although he did make lobster ravioli from scratch for mother's day last year.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:08 pm just came home from the boy's second meet.. ran the first heat.. even with the top boy in his HS -- until the third lap.. took off with 300 and kicked it at 200 and again at 100. 800 split at 2:28. Finished at 4:52 - by ten seconds. Said in the car, he will beat the HS freshman record (4:38) this spring and has sights on the the overall HS (local) record (4:16) set by friend of ours some 30yrs ago.

Damn. That's super impressive. That's possible D1 college track impressive if he can keep building on those times.
Totally Kafkaesque