Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Giff »

So much today. Smashing the unfollow/snooze like crazy.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

People forget that even if you dress Mr. Fluffles in baby costumes or roll Ms. Meowington around in a stroller, cats are still God's perfect predator.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:25 am So much today. Smashing the unfollow/snooze like crazy.
Griner stuff or just random?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Griner. I get some of the hesitation around it, for sure. But some of it is so fucking hateful. I almost went off on a co-worker, then made the smart decision to snooze.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Here's something you can use, Giff

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Done. Thank you!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:19 am Our cat, Kasey, was a fucking Bad Ass. I have no idea if he was out there fighting, but he was a predator. We would routinely find birds, chipmunks, squirrels(!!!) and even baby bunnies in our yard.

It's weird seeing chipmunks in our yard these days, because for about a decade, our cat wasn't having any of that.

If you've never seen a cat attack in person... It's really fucking crazy. One of my mom's cats got spooked by a dog and for some reason reacted by attacking her. I don't even know how to describe it... It was lightning quick and there was no way she could effectively ward the cat off. Luckily it went after my mom's arm. Lots of stitches, but if she'd gone after her face it would've been scarring for sure.
http://sportsfrog.net/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 36#p288436
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:27 am People forget that even if you dress Mr. Fluffles in baby costumes or roll Ms. Meowington around in a stroller, cats are still God's perfect predator.
Exactly. I’m terrified of encountering a big cat in the wild. If domesticated pet cats are such violent killing machines, imagine what a bigger version who hunts to live can do?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, my old cat used to attack all my friends. It was hilarious to me that the cat didn't seem to want any other people around me. My wife says that the reason I married her is that I was the only woman the cat ever approved of. It was weird, the cat loved her right from the start.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

⚠️ Rant ⚠️
I don’t like Trump. Not one bit.
This is ridiculous. Let’s look in the past people….JFK, Clinton.
Any need to go on?
DUMB.
Focus on the REAL.
Like when parents send their kids to school….thinking they are safe…only to have seen them alive for the last time.
Yeah. Terrible things like that.
Hey Government…Get it together.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Not Facebook, but I just got a NextDoor email with the subject line of "Coyote in tree?" The post was complete with a video of an animal (pretty clearly a cat) in a tree.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:32 pm Not Facebook, but I just got a NextDoor email with the subject line of "Coyote in tree?" The post was complete with a video of an animal (pretty clearly a cat) in a tree.
Sometimes I feel like I’m missing out by not being on Nextdoor
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:51 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:32 pm Not Facebook, but I just got a NextDoor email with the subject line of "Coyote in tree?" The post was complete with a video of an animal (pretty clearly a cat) in a tree.
Sometimes I feel like I’m missing out by not being on Nextdoor
Missing out on a lot of nonsense, and anger and pearl-clutching over minor things.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah, I guess YMMV, but NextDoor (in my experience) was good if you want to know what that helicopter was doing flying by your neighborhood. Or what crisis those sirens were headed towards.

Life's too short to get all angst'd up like that.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

NextDoor is ridiculous. What seemed like a good idea for a 'community watch' turns into horseshit like this:

(My buddy, who has been kicked off NextDoor for trolling in the past, shared this in our group chat.)

Edit: His response to this was:

"It's probably because they don't like you."

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:45 pm NextDoor is ridiculous. What seemed like a good idea for a 'community watch' turns into horseshit like this:

(My buddy, who has been kicked off NextDoor for trolling in the past, shared this in our group chat.)

Dude has a strong opinion of what a Sunday morning breakfast should be, but he insists that McDonalds make it for him? Dafuk?
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

NextDoor is pretty hilarious. 60% of the posts are complaints about loud/rude kids/cars/dogs/employees/etc. Most of the rest are "Is this a copperhead?"

But "Is that a coyote in the tree?" just cracked me up.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:05 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:45 pm NextDoor is ridiculous. What seemed like a good idea for a 'community watch' turns into horseshit like this:

Dude has a strong opinion of what a Sunday morning breakfast should be, but he insists that McDonalds make it for him? Dafuk?
I'm stunned by the amount of people that do not cook AT ALL. Its microwaved or it's eating out. Maybe a sandwich. But breakfast? No chance.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:18 am
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:05 pm

I'm stunned by the amount of people that do not cook AT ALL. Its microwaved or it's eating out. Maybe a sandwich. But breakfast? No chance.
Breakfast is something that a ten year old should be able to whip up.
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nextdoor is just a listserv on a slightly better platform. IOW, as many have said, it's a lot of NIMBY and complaining about noise and/or people driving too fast and GET OFF MY LAWN.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Driving too fast should be complained about. The others don't bother me.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My wife monitors the 'hood listserv and curates the stupidest stuff for me. I agree about the speeding and I love that some of these folks get to the point of following the car to an address and REALLY outing those folks... Bc, yeah, slow the fuck down asshole.

There's a lot of dog-shaming due to not picking up poop. (Really owner-shaming).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:18 am Nextdoor is just a listserv on a slightly better platform. IOW, as many have said, it's a lot of NIMBY and complaining about noise and/or people driving too fast and GET OFF MY LAWN.
Our town has a very active FaceBook forum filled with all of this crap (right, misterd?), so I wonder if anyone even uses NextDoor. The forum logo is even a helicopter because we used to have constant helicopters flying over town (power company checking lines, police and news when there are accidents on the highway, medivac for the hospital and not too infrequently accidents on the highway, and we were on Trump's Marine One flight Path from the airport to Bedminster). People freak the fuck out every time there is a helicopter overhead. Lots of bear and coyote sightings, but never a coyote in a tree! And my favorite, people freaking out over fox mating calls. Although I get the panic there, freaked me out the first time I heard it, but my neighbor told me what it was. Sounds like a screaming woman being stabbed repeatedly. For hours on end. I almost called the police the first time, and apparently lots of people do. If a woman ever gets stabbed in the woods in my town, the police will blow off the 911 calls saying it's a fox.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Got a knock on the door last week, and because the mostly deaf dog happened to notice and because I was upstairs at the time (rather than in the basement at my workstation) I went ahead and opened it to see what was up. It was a guy who looked to be a little older than me, though he was so sun-baked it was hard to tell, and in what sounded to me like an Irish brogue explained that they would be doing work in the neighborhood and could give me a good deal on re/placing/paving our asphalt driveway. I said I wasn't interested, he asked if I wanted to hear the price first, I said no, he said you sure, I said yes, he walked away.

We left for a college tour at 6:30AM on Saturday and didn't get back until 4:30PM. Driving down our street I noticed 6 driveways with yellow caution tape stretched across the entrance to what appeared to be fresh pads of asphalt. I guess he was for real.

The curbs in our neighborhood are Belgian bricks and extend into the border of the driveways. Looks pretty nice but a pain in the ass to keep weed-free and to navigate the couple of times I've blacktopped the driveway. Walking the dog since Saturday, I noticed that some of the new driveways look pretty sloppy because of the bricks, especially places where the bricks have sunk to ground-level or lower. And some of the houses still had large piles of old asphalt at the curb.

OK, so Facebook. Yesterday I notice a post in a local forum asking if anyone had any info about a group of "large Caucasian men with British accents" who redo driveways, most recently in {rass' neighborhood}, because they didn't do everything they promised they would do and no one will pick up at the phone # provided on their business card. The replies were full of people asking the OP if they could have been Irish, stories of similar incidents with varying levels of satisfaction with the work, and then warnings about "Irish Travelers" and "gypsies" and their scams! I searched in the forum and found multiple other threads over the years with the same story and types of responses.

So maybe Gypsies seem to be one minority you can still get away with making sorta racist generalizations about on a local (private) FB forum where everyone sorta knows each other.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:47 am Got a knock on the door last week, and because the mostly deaf dog happened to notice and because I was upstairs at the time (rather than in the basement at my workstation) I went ahead and opened it to see what was up. It was a guy who looked to be a little older than me, though he was so sun-baked it was hard to tell, and in what sounded to me like an Irish brogue explained that they would be doing work in the neighborhood and could give me a good deal on re/placing/paving our asphalt driveway. I said I wasn't interested, he asked if I wanted to hear the price first, I said no, he said you sure, I said yes, he walked away.

We left for a college tour at 6:30AM on Saturday and didn't get back until 4:30PM. Driving down our street I noticed 6 driveways with yellow caution tape stretched across the entrance to what appeared to be fresh pads of asphalt. I guess he was for real.

The curbs in our neighborhood are Belgian bricks and extend into the border of the driveways. Looks pretty nice but a pain in the ass to keep weed-free and to navigate the couple of times I've blacktopped the driveway. Walking the dog since Saturday, I noticed that some of the new driveways look pretty sloppy because of the bricks, especially places where the bricks have sunk to ground-level or lower. And some of the houses still had large piles of old asphalt at the curb.

OK, so Facebook. Yesterday I notice a post in a local forum asking if anyone had any info about a group of "large Caucasian men with British accents" who redo driveways, most recently in {rass' neighborhood}, because they didn't do everything they promised they would do and no one will pick up at the phone # provided on their business card. The replies were full of people asking the OP if they could have been Irish, stories of similar incidents with varying levels of satisfaction with the work, and then warnings about "Irish Travelers" and "gypsies" and their scams! I searched in the forum and found multiple other threads over the years with the same story and types of responses.

So maybe Gypsies seem to be one minority you can still get away with making sorta racist generalizations about on a local (private) FB forum where everyone sorta knows each other.
I wonder if this is the same guy that came to my old 'hood every summer. Big guy, reddish hair. Looked a bit like Tormund the red bearded guy from Game of Thrones, but sun-baked and a 5 o'clock shadow. Definitely Irish accent. He'd send a kid to the door with a sales pitch, I'd guess the kid was around 8 the first year. Kid drove a hard pitch and didn't back down, while the (I'm assuming) father stared menacingly at me from the truck. The father stopped me in my driveway last year, insulting my driveway (I desperately need to repave) and mocking me for turning down his incredible offer since he has left over materials from doing my neighbor's driveway and can do mine for practically nothing. Never seen him land a job, but the sentiment on FB was that he comes to the US every summer for a couple of months, does a really shitty job, and disappears.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, waaaaaay back when we lived in Herndon, we had a guy knock on the door and my wife answered and he quoted her a price to build a little fence in the backyard of our town house. Price seemed good, he asked for a deposit (ruh-roh) so he could buy the materials (zoinks) and she cut him a check and of course we never saw the guy again.

My wife is very smart, but not all that street savvy (at the time... we were pretty young). But that was a REALLY good lesson for both of us. Since then, we've dealt with about a dozen various contractors and it's always coming with trusted recommendations and a search of the BBB before engaging.

My across the way buddy has been swindled at least 5 times and I'm always like... "Stop trying to cut a sweet deal and go with a reputable person/company!" He's smart and has plenty of dough. Just mind boggling to me.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yep, Irish Travelers doing concrete and/or paving work is a well-known scam.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Bobby Sandsblasting
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Banshees of Irvington
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Those are both pretty good. I appreciate the local touch Giff.

Took the dog out last night and there was a group of neighborhood dudes hanging out, commiserating with one of the owners of a new driveway. He was one of the lucky ones left with a pile of asphalt. They told him they'd come back for the detritus after they finished all of the jobs and scooted without it. Seems they only removed the old driveway where it met the street and otherwise just laid a layer of new asphalt down on top of what was already there. He's convinced it's going to fall apart the first time he drives on it (he drives a giant pickup for work that he brings home) and kept muttering "they got me good". I really wanted to ask how much they got him for but couldn't bring myself to do it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:19 am I really wanted to ask how much they got him for but couldn't bring myself to do it.
Damn, I wanted to know. Got some estimates for my driveway, and not happy with the cost. I asked them to just do the blacktop and not a full repaving, and both guys refused, said it would start cracking in the same places in about 5 years. I told them I didn't care, as I plan to move in 4 or 5 years. Both said they won't do a half-assed job. I should have asked for a recommendation for a company lacking integrity.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I guess no one in your neighborhood remembers the FX show, "The Riches" from 2007 with Suzy Izzard and Minnie Driver.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

I just got three estimates for my driveway. I'm getting a repaving for the front part, but also need to widen (so the wife and I don't have to play musical cars every day) and extend along the side of the house for when we have a new driver in ... checks calendar ... ugh, a little more than four years.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hey FB advertiser, maybe just for today pull your ad for the "Hans Gruber falls from Nakotomi Plaza" advent calendar? I mean I stopped and looked, which I guess is a win, but...?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not FB but related …

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A title on next door in my e-mail: I hate it that rent in Lexington has sky rock it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:31 am A title on next door in my e-mail: I hate it that rent in Lexington has sky rock it.
Hopefully that person was using some kind of speech-to-text app.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

in flight? afternoon delight?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:53 am in flight? afternoon delight?
dammit. It was GRINDR not Nextdoor. Got me.

NTTAWWT
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:53 am in flight? afternoon delight?
Giff is on fire.