Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:It's a tragic story, and I am grateful to the approximately 100 of my friends who felt the need to inform the world that Debbie Reynolds passed away.
Right? Why the fuck is my feed full of Debbie Reynolds? If she died before Carrie Fisher, would anyone have cared?
"Cared" or "Facebook cared?"

Guy I used to work with jut got around to posting a picture of a ticket stub from a George Michael show he went to 15 years ago. I hold my tongue, but this whole spectacle of public grieving is repellant to me.
Yeah, I don't mind it so much if it's someone you really, really loved but I doubt most people have given George Michael a passing thought for years. Doesn't mean his death isn't sad, but don't be wearing a black armband for a month or anything unless you've been listening to WHAM records every day for the last 30 years.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I find that there's a real sense of one-upsmanship as well. One person will post "RIP ____" The next person will post "I can't believe that ____ is gone!"

Next comes a reminiscence that seems to be an inflation of the role that ___ played in the poster's life. Next post has a list of the many recently deceased celebrities, and finally comes "2016! Enough already!!" or variation on the theme.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

IRONICALLY, the only time we ever really thought of George Michael was at Christmas because a few years back, after having listened to the song for decades, my father-in-law remarked that it was one of his favorites because "she's got a really nice voice". Not in the homophobic way, he'd just always thought it was a woman singing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Some of you guys must have some really hot ex's or cousins or something, because otherwise why bother?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:Some of you guys must have some really hot ex's or cousins or something, because otherwise why bother?
A lot of the people I am in contact from through work are women between 30-60.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:It's a tragic story, and I am grateful to the approximately 100 of my friends who felt the need to inform the world that Debbie Reynolds passed away.
Right? Why the fuck is my feed full of Debbie Reynolds? If she died before Carrie Fisher, would anyone have cared?
"Cared" or "Facebook cared?"

Guy I used to work with jut got around to posting a picture of a ticket stub from a George Michael show he went to 15 years ago. I hold my tongue, but this whole spectacle of public grieving is repellant to me.
Yeah, I don't mind it so much if it's someone you really, really loved but I doubt most people have given George Michael a passing thought for years. Doesn't mean his death isn't sad, but don't be wearing a black armband for a month or anything unless you've been listening to WHAM records every day for the last 30 years.
Yeah, I save my grief posts for ones that absolutely knock me back a bit. So, even with the well chronicled list in 2016, I think I've only put something up a handful of times. (Goes and spends a ton of time in Lake Me.) Here's the list:

My Cat (Kasey)
Johan Cruyff
Prince
Carrie Fisher

I'll stand by that list.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sooo ... a thread for a HoF type vote (5 max?) for worst deaths of 2016 might kill some time?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:Sooo ... a thread for a HoF type vote (5 max?) for worst deaths of 2016 might kill some time?
Go ahead and start the thread. If you don't do it, I might do it. FWIW, Will Leitch did the Jambaroo this week for Magary and included his top 41 in it, in order of cultural import.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote:
mister d wrote:Sooo ... a thread for a HoF type vote (5 max?) for worst deaths of 2016 might kill some time?
Go ahead and start the thread. If you don't do it, I might do it. FWIW, Will Leitch did the Jambaroo this week for Magary and included his top 41 in it, in order of cultural import.
And here's a list of 112 to choose from.

It should be 113 though. Because...

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Yeah, I save my grief posts for ones that absolutely knock me back a bit. So, even with the well chronicled list in 2016, I think I've only put something up a handful of times. (Goes and spends a ton of time in Lake Me.) Here's the list:

My Cat (Kasey)
Johan Cruyff
Prince
Carrie Fisher

I'll stand by that list.
I looked at mine, and it was similarly short.

Georgie (my dog)
Ali
King Buster
Sharon Jones

Other than the Greatest, I figure why join the chorus of mourners? Why not bring to people's attention those that may not be thread worthy, but who definitely should be remembered.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I personally think it's pretty arrogant to assume that people are not being genuine when they are upset when someone dies. I haven't listened to George Michael in years, but loved him and Wham growing up. We played his music Sunday night after hearing the news and it got us both emotional. So fuck you if you didn't like my post about it.

And of course people are posting about Debbie Reynolds dying when her icon of a daughter died the very day before.

Sounds like some of you need a safe space from people caring about the deaths of celebrities that didn't affect you.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Go get 'em Giff.

So do these Harambe memes use real pictures of Harambe, or is it somehow part of the joke when they don't?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

What percentage of people posting about Debbie Reynolds could have told you who she was before she died?
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:What percentage of people posting about Debbie Reynolds could have told you who she was before she died?
This is my point. So many of my friends were posting about how much they loved Debbie Reynolds, and how her death is a tragic loss to humanity. I wasn't criticizing people posting about how sad/fucked up that she died the day after her daughter, I get that. But people coming out of the woodwork as Debbie Reynolds acolytes. I'm just saying, if Carrie Fisher didn't die, none of these people would have been posting their undying love and admiration for Debbie Reynolds. Except for a gay friend, who posted a good story about seeing her in some Broadway show, and she pointed him out in the audience and made fun of him for being 30 years too young to be there.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can take or leave celebrity death show mourning, but American tragedies drive me insane. The "one time I drove on 84 past Sandy Hook and now I can't stop thinking about that drive" shit.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Everybody my age or older is familiar with Debbie Reynolds. She was a big star. But she hasn't been relevant in 50 years.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:Everybody my age or older is familiar with Debbie Reynolds. She was a big star. But she hasn't been relevant in 50 years.

I knew who she was because of her daughter.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote:Everybody my age or older is familiar with Debbie Reynolds. She was a big star. But she hasn't been relevant in 50 years.
I'm 46 years old and I recognize her name, but couldn't tell you anything else about her. I only vaguely remembered she was Carrie Fisher's mom after she died (and it was explicitly stated that she was Carrie's mom).
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

First pic I thought it was the mom from Ray Romano's show.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:First pic I thought it was the mom from Ray Romano's show.
She died in 2016 also, right?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Most of the people on my timeline were either old enough to remember her or they were saying it was tragic because it was the day after her daughter.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote:I personally think it's pretty arrogant to assume that people are not being genuine when they are upset when someone dies. I haven't listened to George Michael in years, but loved him and Wham growing up. We played his music Sunday night after hearing the news and it got us both emotional. So fuck you if you didn't like my post about it.

And of course people are posting about Debbie Reynolds dying when her icon of a daughter died the very day before.

Sounds like some of you need a safe space from people caring about the deaths of celebrities that didn't affect you.

You are were ahead of your time. I know for a fact that multiple guys on my Facebook feed that were mourning and praising GM were very quick to call people faggots back in high school.

That's what I'm reacting to. (Or was, as this is a little dated by now.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Giff wrote:I personally think it's pretty arrogant to assume that people are not being genuine when they are upset when someone dies. I haven't listened to George Michael in years, but loved him and Wham growing up. We played his music Sunday night after hearing the news and it got us both emotional. So fuck you if you didn't like my post about it.

You are were ahead of your time. I know for a fact that multiple guys on my Facebook feed that were mourning and praising GM were very quick to call people faggots back in high school.

I was just reacting to the number of Debbie Reynolds superfans. I get being emotionally touched when hearing about a big name celebrity from your youth dying. George Michael was huge for a few years, and most of my FB friends are the right age for GM's fame to fit into the window of time where the music stars of the day mean something. I will always remember the strange feeling I'd get watching Cindy Crawford in a tub in the Freedom video, and figuring out how to act on that feeling while watching Too Funky.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:

I was just reacting to the number of Debbie Reynolds superfans. I get being emotionally touched when hearing about a big name celebrity from your youth dying. George Michael was huge for a few years, and most of my FB friends are the right age for GM's fame to fit into the window of time where the music stars of the day mean something. I will always remember the strange feeling I'd get watching Cindy Crawford in a tub in the Freedom video, and figuring out how to act on that feeling while watching Too Funky.
With a little bit of self reflection, Giff is probably more right than anything to the counter.

Sometimes you just gotta let people "mourn" and not try to gauge or judge it. To what end?

This is just a continuation of the the conversation, not a direct response to you.

/judging
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I swear to Jebus that I must have seen that stupid "Dear Entertainers..." cut and paste job about 100 times in my newsfeed over the last day. Can't believe that conservatives are so upset about Streep's Golden Globes speech that they don't see the irony in railing against Entertainers doing politics when they just voted for an Entertainer to be President.

It makes me want to say to them "Keep your outrage saved up, because there are going to be lots more times over the next 4 years where Trump is called out by someone famous for something offensive/stupid that he does".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:I swear to Jebus that I must have seen that stupid "Dear Entertainers..." cut and paste job about 100 times in my newsfeed over the last day. Can't believe that conservatives are so upset about Streep's Golden Globes speech that they don't see the irony in railing against Entertainers doing politics when they just voted for an Entertainer to be President.

It makes me want to say to them "Keep your outrage saved up, because there are going to be lots more times over the next 4 years where Trump is called out by someone famous for something offensive/stupid that he does".
The funny thing about it, is she wasn't "telling us what to believe," but was addressing the media to hold Trump accountable and not back down out of fear of him going after his detractors. How can anyone be bothered by that? Meanwhile, all of the lies and hate spread against Obama, that's cool. Just don't dare criticize the next President for things he actually says! Or ask the media to report what he actually does!
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

gotta believe what's in his heart, Syb
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Taking the semester off from teaching, but last night was the screening of the TV pilot projects that last year's students made.

One student sent her regrets via facebook:
AHH! I wish I could have came tonight <3
Shaking my head. Glad I taught her writing.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Good luck with this one:

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Worst Chinese clickbait ever?
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Why is it that most of "recipe" videos that show up in my feed look absolutely disgusting?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

some idiot wanted me to explain why Milo was racist -- cause he's not! -- so I went to to the dude's FB page and found a post of his attempting to "call out" Justin Trudeau for Canada's immigration policies in the hours after the mosque tragedy.

I asked him if he still thought it was necessary to question the immigration policy because it was a Canadian native who allegedly did the attack
A terrorist act inspired by a radical religion. But thank you for further proving my point. And they coincidentally let the Arab immigrant arrested along with him go. But I'm sure there was nothing political there. Save me your liberal bullshit. Go and enlist and give back to the country that allows you to spew your crap.
so yes, islam "inspired" an attack by a white nationalist. that's where we are these days, apparently
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Brontoburglar wrote:some idiot wanted me to explain why Milo was racist -- cause he's not! -- so I went to to the dude's FB page and found a post of his attempting to "call out" Justin Trudeau for Canada's immigration policies in the hours after the mosque tragedy.

I asked him if he still thought it was necessary to question the immigration policy because it was a Canadian native who allegedly did the attack
A terrorist act inspired by a radical religion. But thank you for further proving my point. And they coincidentally let the Arab immigrant arrested along with him go. But I'm sure there was nothing political there. Save me your liberal bullshit. Go and enlist and give back to the country that allows you to spew your crap.
so yes, islam "inspired" an attack by a white nationalist. that's where we are these days, apparently
Ahh...the old "I wouldn't have hit her if she hadn't provoked me" defense. Always a classic...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Logged in for the first time tonight in a long time to Masshole myself about the win.

I started scrolling and there's a buddy of mine just getting all triggered by Lady Gaga's halftime show. Apparently she was being all subliminal and he just couldn't handle it!

And you know he led off with the "I wish celebrities would keep their opinions to themselves" hypocrisy.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

like... what opinion did she give?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:like... what opinion did she give?
He.

Also, within those 53 comment are a couple 24+ subcomment back and forths.

I really, really wanna troll because he's a huge Pats hater too, but nah. Can't.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah, singing god bless america is horrible
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote:yeah, singing god bless america is horrible
Also, I doubt Mike Pence knows what "Born This Way" is about.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:yeah, singing god bless america is horrible
Also, I doubt Mike Pence knows what "Born This Way" is about.
as much as I want him to, I am afraid that this may be the correct answer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:like... what opinion did she give?
The lyrics to all of her hits over the years.

My wife and I were commenting on all of the diversity related commercials, and I was saying social media would light up about companies pushing the Liberal agenda. Because respecting everyone is heinous. I was thinking these commercials were a reaction to Trump, but my wife disagrees. She works in PR/marketing/communications, and she said these ads were likely planned and made before the election. As for Gaga, I think her lyrics just take on a new meaning in light of current politics. But WTF else was she going to sing? Those are her hits, not political statements.
-Pruitt