Youth hockey

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

testuser2
Brandt

Youth hockey

Post by testuser2 »

Over the past few years there has been a huge increase in local hockey. I've been able to hold out until this week.

Both boys are now registered for Hockey 1 - Learn to Skate. I showed up with two kids(5/9), bike helmets, winter gloves and a credit card. I left with $170 less virtual dollars, 2 hockey helmets and some bruised kids. It was the first time the 5 year old was on the ice. The 9 year old had been there for some birthday parties, but he used one of those walked things on the ice. It was tough at the beginning. The youngest couldn't even stand. He just laid on the ice and cried quietly in humiliation. The oldest clung to the wall like a teenager trying to get his girlfriends shirt off. His hands just pawed at the glass trying to get a grip.

In the middle of practice I did call my wife and told her the bike helmets were not good enough. They needed complete head protection. I nearly pulled them off the ice in the middle and upgraded their equipment. The issue was that it was going so poorly that I thought if I allowed them to escape the ice I'd never get them back on it. I fully expected to take one of them off the ice with a bloody nose and a big red spot on the ice.

From there it got better. By the end they could both stand for a few seconds and the oldest could actually move a little. They came off the ice with huge grins. They both loved it. They even found the open skate schedule and wanted to come over before the next practice. I know nothing about hockey. I never played when I was growing up and I didn't meet anyone that played until I went to college. I had skated a few times. My grandmother took me. Her parents owned an ice house when she was a kid and spent all of her free time skating.

So what do I need to know? I'm 30 minutes into their hockey careers. Should I get them on the ice as much as possible or just go slow the first few months? There seems to be a lot of gear required. Where can I get it? Online or should I find a store? What do they really need? I'm hesitant to ask the staff at the arena. They told me to have the kids wear bike helmets and that nearly resulted in death. You guys are the most knowledgeable hockey people I know.
rass
The Dude

Re: Youth hockey

Post by rass »

I would think you could get them skating well before diving into all of the equipment? Or maybe it's better to learn skating and basic hockey skills at the same time? I really don't know.

Our girls took skating lessons last winter (45 minutes once a week), and in six weeks the youngest (5 at the time) went from not being able to stand to her instructor suggesting that I look into hockey lessons because she was pretty good and clearly fearless. My wife wasn't 100% sure if she wanted her playing hockey (though I think she might be coming around), so we never pulled the trigger. They're in the middle of lessons again right now, and still having a great time. I'd love to dump gymnastics and get her on the ice more. Keep us posted on your progress and what works for you, thanks.

On a personal note, and I think I've whined about this here before, I'm so jealous of people who can skate well. I can stay up, and move forward with a bit of speed, but stopping cleanly and just in general looking cool is still beyond me. I would give about anything to be able to pull off a decent hockey stop, or heart be still, turn and skate backwards while already moving.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

For young kids, I would look for used equipment. It is so expensive, and they will grow out of it really fast. There must be a huge market for used kids equipment, because who wants to keep that stuff around when it is outgrown, and you can get a decent return on it. Maybe even post on Craigslist or local boards asking if anyone has used equipment. eBay used to be loaded with hockey equipment, and I can't see that would have changed. Good luck, hockey parenting sounds like a tough gig with the scarcity of ice time, but it is s great sport. The best to play, for sure, and I only played roller, not ice.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:For young kids, I would look for used equipment. It is so expensive, and they will grow out of it really fast. There must be a huge market for used kids equipment, because who wants to keep that stuff around when it is outgrown, and you can get a decent return on it. Maybe even post on Craigslist or local boards asking if anyone has used equipment. eBay used to be loaded with hockey equipment, and I can't see that would have changed. Good luck, hockey parenting sounds like a tough gig with the scarcity of ice time, but it is s great sport. The best to play, for sure, and I only played roller, not ice.
I think even asking around the rink would be of some help. You could even ask if they have (or could post) a board for parents looking to buy/sell used equipment. Almost every other parent bringing a kid there is in the same boat on this.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Or maybe even swipe some from a kid sprawled on the ice who clearly isn't going to ever be able to skate. Just take it off him while no one is looking.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote:Or maybe even swipe some from a kid sprawled on the ice who clearly isn't going to ever be able to skate. Just take it off him while no one is looking.

Hey little man...can I help you out of those pads?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

We've got a store with a few locations around Indy called "Play It Again Sports" that always has a ton of hockey equipment for kids. I'd see if you can find something similar in your area.

Good on you for getting them into it. Our minor league team lets a youth player skate around the ice with a flag at the start of every home game and we always try to make it a point to cheer as loud as we can for them and make them feel like it's something special.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. You can rent each peace of gear for $10/year at the rink. That's definitely the first choice. They didn't offer sticks though. All the little guys had one. If they stick with it that is looking like the first item.

I also had a phone call a few minutes ago. The 8 year old discovered NHL hockey for the PS4 from his friends at school. He called to ask if he could use his christmas money to get it. Should arrive in a few days...
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

testuser2 wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions. You can rent each peace of gear for $10/year at the rink. That's definitely the first choice. They didn't offer sticks though. All the little guys had one. If they stick with it that is looking like the first item.

I also had a phone call a few minutes ago. The 8 year old discovered NHL hockey for the PS4 from his friends at school. He called to ask if he could use his christmas money to get it. Should arrive in a few days...
You should make him work his way up. Find an emulator and take him through the years and appreciate modern hockey
Blades of Steel
Nintendo hockey (fat guys and skinny guys)
Classic EA Sports NHL 92-96
and then to modern
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Fundamentals, man.

Boxing lessons. Gordy didn't need them and he went far. But kids these days ...

You can learn to skate and do all those stick thingies later.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote:We've got a store with a few locations around Indy called "Play It Again Sports" that always has a ton of hockey equipment for kids. I'd see if you can find something similar in your area.

Good on you for getting them into it. Our minor league team lets a youth player skate around the ice with a flag at the start of every home game and we always try to make it a point to cheer as loud as we can for them and make them feel like it's something special.
I was going to suggest that. I noticed there wasn't really any of those out east, but there's gotta be something similar considering how expensive that shit is and how fast kids outgrow it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
dem3pigs
Jackie Treehorn

Post by dem3pigs »

All my kids played and I was a relative newcomer to the game (a fan but only played with brooms and sticks on the gym floor). By the end of it all I wound up coaching the high school team (a lot of coaching kids is the same for every sport). Hockey players sweat a lot. The gear will smell awful. Take it out of the bag and let it at least air dry or put a fan on it. Wash it in the dishwasher every once in a while. We usually bought our stuff at Play It Again as suggested until they were through growing in high school. For me it worked as I have three boys, two years apart, so the gear got used and reused.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I have nothing of value to add to this thread, but I wanted to post because a) it's a testuser thread, so I wanted to show in-state solidarity, and b) I wanted to post in the same thread as dem3pigs and pretend that it was 2007 and I was still young and ridiculously handsome.

Various thoughts on points already mentioned in this thread:

‡ Craigslist would probably be a great resource. When I was looking for some hockey-related stuff a couple of years ago, there were a digital tonne of listings for size 3 skates, etc. Granted, there are a lot more hockey kids in Pittsburgh than there are in your part of the state, but you probably won't have any trouble finding used gear.

‡ I miss Play It Again Sports. There used to be a handful of those stores around here, but they closed years ago. I think the closest one is in Greensburg now, and that's 90 minutes away. I don't have much need to buy used sports equipment now anyway.

‡ I am insanely jealous of your kids, test. I wish that I had had this opportunity when I was a kid.
rass wrote:On a personal note, and I think I've whined about this here before, I'm so jealous of people who can skate well. I can stay up, and move forward with a bit of speed, but stopping cleanly and just in general looking cool is still beyond me. I would give about anything to be able to pull off a decent hockey stop, or heart be still, turn and skate backwards while already moving.

All of this. When I started skating a couple of years ago, it quickly became apparent that I was never going to be really good at it unless I was able to devote a lot of time to it, which I just couldn't do. So now I just go to OHL games and watch 18-year-olds effortlessly glide around in circles in warm-ups and feel a sense of loss for something that was never there to begin with. It hurts! I want to be able to do that!

‡ Good luck with all of this, test. Skate, skate, skate. Everything else will fall into place after that. Keep us updated.

Oh, and if you're going to buy sticks, buy the cheapest (wooden) sticks that you can find. The composite sticks break so easily, and little kids who are just learning don't need the very best equipment, especially if they're just going to break it in 20 minutes.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

The kids have been begging me to skate in between their classes. I've been hesitant since they are only getting started and have a hard time staying on their feet. However, I made a deal with them about doing some work around the house in exchange for going to the open skate on saturday night. It was late... 8-10pm. So I didn't think it would be crowded. I was very wrong. We waited in line 20 min to get skates. Then the ice was so crowded that we couldn't even skate next to each other.

Halfway through they ran the zamboni's through to clean up the ice. We had just made it on and were at the opposite side from the door when they announced to clear the ice. The oldest started making his way over. I was helping the youngest, but he only made it 20 feet or so before he would fall. He was moving really slowly and fell whenever he tried to speed up. It didn't seem to be a big deal to me since there was a line to get off anyway. By the time we made it over there was still a line, but we were definitely last. This was the first set of tears from the youngest.

Afterwards I discovered that my wife had a run-in with a parent in the stands. Apparently, during the announcement to clean the ice this other mom in the stands started yelling and eventually pounding on the glass that we needed to get off the ice, we were moving too slowly, and ruining it for everyone. I think it was pretty obvious that we were moving as fast as possible. The youngest fell around a half dozen times before he made it across. He was also in full tears. I'm not sure if he heard the lady yelling or not.

I was pretty pissed off by the time we left. The youngest got run over twice by some assholes. They were cutting in between people and couldn't even see him because he was so short. After an hour he was crying and seemed miserable. He said his whole body hurt, but he didn't want to leave.

So free skate is off the list for a while. Maybe I can find a less crowded session.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ahhh, youth hockey. Some of my most and least favorite childhood memories...

* Get them skating lessons. Regardless if they are going to stick with hockey, they are young enough that if they are taught the fundamentals, the investment is worth it. When I played (6-12 yo) I had lessons every year until I was 10 or 11. The provide your kids the foundation, at first, then they will get into refining. At a certain point, you can move them out of lessons and more into "training" but most rinks where hockey is played have classes focused on hockey skating.

* The fact that they are falling a lot, but still want to get back out there is HUGE. Obvious point, but the same applies here as it does with skiing/snowboarding... The second it changes from fun --> chore, it's over.

* Buy them both sticks. Even if they give up the ice version of the sport, street hockey is still awesome and if a pocket of their friends or just kids in the 'hood get into it... Burned countless hours on the tennis courts around Ann Arbor playing street hockey back in the day.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I just dropped $200 @ hockeymonkey.com. Gloves, shinguards and sticks. There wasn't anything used that was local. Also got a Pens and PSU jersey on order. I almost bought two left handed sticks by accident. If they stick with it I'll get them some more equipment over the summer.

This hockey parent thing is complicated. I'm watching a video right now on how to tape a stick. I've already watched a few on buying gear.

FYI... The kids have discovered mullets. They both want one so they can see their hair under the helmet. Wife says no.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

testuser2 wrote:
FYI... The kids have discovered mullets. They both want one so they can see their hair under the helmet. Wife says no.
This is the best thing I have read all year and there isn't even a close second.

Soon...

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

BSF21 wrote:
This is the best thing I have read all year and there isn't even a close second.

Soon...
Unfortunately they are completely serious. Mullets are all the rage right now in their elementary school. The kindergartner wants one because he likes short hair and this will only be long in the back.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

You have to explain to Mrs. User that it is just hair. It is not like they are getting the batman logo shaved in or lightning bolts.

As for the kids, tell them they it is bad form to have "style" on the ice until they can back it up. Nothing worse than a pretty boy or such who can't back it up.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/hockey ... .ht3bvB3J9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

We are at month three. The kids are begging me to take them to the rink for extra sticktime in between their weekly lessons. Last week they got to do it on the varsity ice under the lights and the giant PSU logo. I was very jealous. There were only 5 kids total. The boys are loving it and I'm slowly collecting equipment. First pair of skates came over the weekend. Luckily someone told me that they need to be sharpened first. So there goes my lunch plans.