More Backroom Deals Than Tammany Hall - A Youth Soccer Tale

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: More Backroom Deals Than Tammany Hall - A Youth Soccer Tale

Post by Rush2112 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:22 pm Why not keep them going? If your kid is one of the best he can carry them.
There are only 8 kids on the team (there's a couple that come in for a game or two here or there and the coach's kid is aging out. From what I hear most of the coaches suck (ours played at WI-WW.)

We have him signed up for rec as well if he doesn't get through tryouts or hates it, he'll just have to make new friends!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Smells like opportunity. Wlulax and nonlinear got u.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

had a chat w the soccer coach.
understands track is priority - kid has missed practices and even a game because of it in teh last two weeks. will continue to prioritize track thru the next month - no more soccer training the same day of a meet - no leaving early.
kid will go to boston w the soccer team on mem weekend sort of a last hurrah.
seems several others are moving on as well, either other clubs or out of club or to other sports - coach had lots of interest at tryouts so he'll likely have mostly new squad next year.
kid is happier, coach isn't yelling so much and i'm at peace.

and i'm finally out of the board. no fanfare, although tye did buy me two drinks at the bar.
still coaching u19s.. 24 kids on the roster and only about 11 show up to game. sent them and their parents a note today.. if they can't have the decency to show up, i won't either. its their money and i aint' getting paid. so maybe we get two more games in.

in other news, i attempted a bicycle kick at my league game this past sunday. needed more air, did make contact and didn't get hurt. and of course i missed. but i looked good (in my mind, fortunately there's no video) Signing off (unless i come back to coaching or the board later when the 7mo old is old enough)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:56 pm ...unless i come back to coaching or the board later when the 7mo old is old enough...
Haa. Sucker, see you in 4 or 5 years.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:29 am
elflaco2 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:56 pm ...unless i come back to coaching or the board later when the 7mo old is old enough...
Haa. Sucker, see you in 4 or 5 years.
Like it’s even a question. When Flaco sees the wreckage the club degrades into… he’ll be back.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

its been a week - still receiving emails and haven't been dropped from the text group -- they're having a spat about how to get kids to the mem day parade.. fun, fun.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Spring season has turned into a disaster. We officially have 16 rostered, which is a good number (club ideally wants 18). One girls has been out since October, just found out she was in-patient being treated for anorexia. One girl quit when she found out she was being demoted to a lower team in the club. She was told she was getting moved down for next year before tryouts even started, which I thought was harsh, but OTOH, it gave her a chance to sign up for other tryouts. Now we have a girl with a broken arm and another with a fractured foot. Last Saturday it was 95 degrees, and we started the game with no subs. Game was on turf, so the heat on the field was absolutely brutal. At halftime one girl didn't go back in, so we played a man down for about 5 minutes, when another girl started throwing up on the field and came off. Went 11 v 9 until my daughter had an asthma attack two minutes before the mid-half water break, but the puking girl went back in, so we kept 11 v 9. During the water break the coach told the girl not to be heroes and asked if they could continue. We ended up forfeiting. We also have to forfeit our final game. We didn't play our first game until 6 weeks into the season, and have 3 games the final weekend. Coach decided not to play the last game, as he thinks it's too much with no subs, and 3+ hours away.

Heading to a huge tournament this weekend (FC Delco). 58 teams just in the U13 Girls division, not sure how many total. We are playing with no subs for 2 games tomorrow, 1 sub on Sunday, and if we make the finals Monday, playing with 10. Assuming no injuries. This is going to fucking suck. We all had such high hopes going into the season and went undefeated winning the pre-season tournament (suck it, PDA!). The girls all thought they'd be playing in the Regionals this June and the coach got them fired up potentially playing Nationals in Florida. Parents were annoyed they plan on carrying 18 on the roster next year, I think this will sharply reduce the complaints of a high roster.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kids acclimatize a bit to soccer in heat so hopefully better. Bring Pedialyte. Tournament last weekend was way better healthwise than the one two weekends ago. Still too deep into may. Two water breaks per half for the final. Wasn't the most compelling watch in game 4 but I found an empty ref canopy and they won! Comp was a step down but medals and smiles.

Tryouts this week. All clubs in area do same three days for some reason. Crickets til today from coach. New e64 league at club so hopeful that take some pressure off rosters.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Daughters former club is joining E64 along with ECRL (they bought out a club and gave them the ECNL slot for my daughters age). Parents trying to figure out if it’s better to play E64 or ECRL. This shit is complicated enough, now they need to create new leagues.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Lots of black and brown faces in San Diego and Dallas for MLS next and ECNL finals. The best teams around these parts are highly multicultural... Thousands in pay to play be damned.

Kid made the team again and practice started Tuesday. Not even July.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:59 pm Lots of black and brown faces in San Diego and Dallas for MLS next and ECNL finals. The best teams around these parts are highly multicultural... Thousands in pay to play be damned.

Kid made the team again and practice started Tuesday. Not even July.
Congrats on making the team, which league is he playing in? Lots of friends playing in ECNL girl's Nationals in Seattle this week. Very few black and brown faces on the elite teams in NJ, which is a real shame and a major systemic failure. Cost aside, there just aren't ECNL or GA teams close to minority populations. Hell, I can't a club within 30 minutes (without traffic), and I'm pretty deep into lily white territory. Your season is starting? We still have 3 weeks of practices and another tournament before the 3 week summer break. Shit never ends...
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Don't get me wrong. All the biggest/best clubs are suburban north which is pretty much the white side of Atlanta with the exception of Gwinnett (GSA) which is probably the most multicultural area of Atlanta. Still the brothers are finding their way out there. NASA branches are almost uniformly not in multicultural areas but their U15s just played in the final and you can judge for yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/NASATopHatSocc ... 17/?type=3

https://m.facebook.com/NASATopHatSoccer/?__tn__=%2Cg

Kid not starting tournaments til early August but started scrimmages this week and they're up and running with voluntary practice. Told him to get a break but hes been itching to play. Found a great hs pickup last weekend. All Latino kids in the middle of Buckhead. Wish he could find that game again. Kid is on thirds and they play top level of the local league that took over usys. It's good for him. They only cut/added 3 but was some worries cause he is still struggling with his birthday. Seeing kids tower over their mothers kills me while the kid still has 5 inches to catch up with her and a foot before me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:52 pm Don't get me wrong. All the biggest/best clubs are suburban north which is pretty much the white side of Atlanta with the exception of Gwinnett (GSA) which is probably the most multicultural area of Atlanta. Still the brothers are finding their way out there. NASA branches are almost uniformly not in multicultural areas but their U15s just played in the final and you can judge for yourself.

Kid not starting tournaments til early August but started scrimmages this week and they're up and running with voluntary practice. Told him to get a break but hes been itching to play. Found a great hs pickup last weekend. All Latino kids in the middle of Buckhead. Wish he could find that game again. Kid is on thirds and they play top level of the local league that took over usys. It's good for him. They only cut/added 3 but was some worries cause he is still struggling with his birthday. Seeing kids tower over their mothers kills me while the kid still has 5 inches to catch up with her and a foot before me.
Wow, my nephews play at NASA and from the pictures I've seen, it's a mostly white team. She lives in Marietta, not sure where they play, but she told me NASA is buying up clubs all over the area. I know they were pre-ECNL but were bumped down as kids from the newly acquired clubs took spots. They are U14, going on U15 next season. What age is your son?
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:52 pm Don't get me wrong. All the biggest/best clubs are suburban north which is pretty much the white side of Atlanta with the exception of Gwinnett (GSA) which is probably the most multicultural area of Atlanta. Still the brothers are finding their way out there. NASA branches are almost uniformly not in multicultural areas but their U15s just played in the final and you can judge for yourself.

I was curious, so I looked at the roster for NASA teams in different age groups. Almost no black kids, maybe 2 or 3 Latinos, and 2 or 3 Indian kids. My sister just told me the U15 is an anomaly because the coach is Jamaican and recruits Jamaican kids. She said most of the kids on that team live in Alabama and don't go to practices, they just show up for games.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Probably true. Wouldn't know. If that's what he's doing he's doing it well. But another NASA team photo on Facebook is almost all Latino kids. And my kid trains with another black coach at NASA. Big clubs definitely still disproportionately white especially when compared to football but Atlanta has a large black middle class so I'd say 10-15% are black and another 10% latino. My kids team is in an overwhelmingly white area but 3 black kids, 5 Latino kids, 9 white kids and a south Asian kid. Not the usual but not really abnormal outside of the number of Latino kids. Tend to see more mostly Latino teams than mixed.

Cant come up with a good link to photos but the Atlanta united academy roster gives a sense of players out there. Instagram would indicate about 1/3 and you don't really get to that level without time at a big club.

https://instagram.com/academyatlutd?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Eta found one

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTCylZBMQYK ... MyMTA2M2Y=

White kids very definitely in the minority. I'd say 1/3 if that. More like 1/4
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

It's uniform purchasing time! I understand the clubs have to agree to deals with Nike (or other brands) to buy new uniforms every 2 years, and I switched clubs in the middle, so I need to buy new uniforms 2 years in a row. I'm fine with that. What is really pissing me off, is the website also requires buying a new warmup jacket and pants, a rain coat, a new backpack, 2 pairs each of practice shorts and socks even though she already has three pairs of socks and 2 pairs of shorts that fit. This is in addition to the 3 new jerseys they have this year and they changed the color of the practice shirts, so I need two of those. Oh, they are even making us buy new pinnies in two colors. The fucking website doesn't let you check out if any of the required items are missing from the order. My daughter is never going to wear the raincoat, and I just bought new pants because she tore a hole in the knee of the first pair.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

$409. A backpack for the pile, team jacket and pants (should be compression top and bottom), three sock colors and huge jerseys that are destined to be too small despite dads efforts to make them last two seasons. In other words, a jacket that will get stolen, one pair of school pants, two sets of pajamas and a perfect uniform that they call a training top and bottom. However, I workedbat Eurosport (now soccer.com) in college so I was able to get a shipping delay and no exchanges.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:34 pm $409. A backpack for the pile, team jacket and pants (should be compression top and bottom), three sock colors and huge jerseys that are destined to be too small despite dads efforts to make them last two seasons. In other words, a jacket that will get stolen, one pair of school pants, two sets of pajamas and a perfect uniform that they call a training top and bottom. However, I workedbat Eurosport (now soccer.com) in college so I was able to get a shipping delay and no exchanges.
You worked at the "Fabled Soccer Traders"....As I was looking at new soccer cleats (the pair I have worn for multiple years are now causing massive pain) I was looking for deals and wondered what happened to all of my go-tos during my club soccer days

* Eurosport
* There was a great comic book soccer catalog (whose name I can't remember) that was always fun to get in the mail.
* Keith Van Aaron's Pro Soccer Shop (this was shop started by Keith who was a superstar MISL Baltimore Blast Goalie). He also was the Madden of indoor soccer DOS games.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Got an email from the kids old team about their practices and they're leaving usys and joining the breakaway league too. Not much left of GA soccer. BUT... Their fees are still $400. Shirts are $0. Guys didn't even ask me for cash when kid guested and played spring league games. At some point one must examine the value proposition. Facilities are better but $2k better? Coaching maybe 1/2 step down but more than made up with an extra practice day and legit interest in the kids. For my kid the level is higher but some are gonna pay $2k to play them. Price tag got several big club guest players to sign up official cause somehow clubs have the balls to play half a season but only knock $100 off u15 fees. Powers that be might want to be careful with that. Great thing for the kids though.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Caught a break with the weather. Couldve been really bad. Anyone else on the sidelines this weekend? Still playing so all smiles here.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

We are in the final week of our 3 week break between seasons. Lots of changes in our league. All the other NJ teams moved to a different region, so it looks like I’m spending my weekends on Long Island and Connecticut. Thankfully the team from Albany is in a different league, so I don’t need to make the 5 hour round trip. First game is in Manhattan. I love playing at Randall’s island. Over 100 fields and playing at the base of a bridge was so cool. There are three large bridges and some bike/pedestrian bridges to Manhattan and Brooklyn.

-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

2 kids from our club are playing in the u-20 women's world cup (Us and Canada)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

USA 0-3 not good. Pics are good but give me low clouds and evening lights. Magic
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kids team starting to make some noise. Said other team came out with 5 in the back this am. Second straight weekend in a final!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My son was a ref for a U9 and U10 tournament this weekend. The kids playing were unreal. These kids were playing Tiki-taka and high pressure 7 v 7. It was very skillful and fun to watch. Parents were surprisingly good on the sidelines and the coaches were good to the refs, but crazy yelling at their teams.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Paging Mr. Rush. Paging rush. 1005. One Zeeeeerrrrrro Zeeeerrrrrro Five.

Foul on the youth soccer post with no update here. Explanation of why you aren't coaching and have time for a draft, sir.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

To bring this back to the right thread. Kids team got a new striker and winger. The striker is legit. Big fast skilled. Brotherman. And the right age in the head. But he doesnt play sundays so thats why hes not with #1s. In any case, team is transformed. Lost in PK in two tournaments. Played extra time for first time ever. Also got a new big fast work hard mean streak winger coming off knee. Plus the too old kids and a lot of guys with specific strengths if not all boxes checked. Should at least compete to stay up and theyll get back into more tournament A brackets. Middle school in the spring if he makes it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:00 am To bring this back to the right thread. Kids team got a new striker and winger. The striker is legit. Big fast skilled. Brotherman. And the right age in the head. But he doesnt play sundays so thats why hes not with #1s. In any case, team is transformed. Lost in PK in two tournaments. Played extra time for first time ever. Also got a new big fast work hard mean streak winger coming off knee. Plus the too old kids and a lot of guys with specific strengths if not all boxes checked. Should at least compete to stay up and theyll get back into more tournament A brackets. Middle school in the spring if he makes it.
Did William Faulkner write this?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hooters has much lower standards in England. If those are the waitresses they post on their Instagram, can’t imagine what the rest look like.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Food is bad. And the staff attitudes. Beer list. Patrons. Channel selections. Not much redeeming at all. And yet I've been probably 5-10 times in the last 5 years. Fast casual is dead.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:01 am Food is bad. And the staff attitudes. Beer list. Patrons. Channel selections. Not much redeeming at all. And yet I've been probably 5-10 times in the last 5 years. Fast casual is dead.
Hooters is not fast casual (Chipotle, Blaze Pizza, etc.). Their whole schtick is to be friendly so you stay longer and run up your check, i.e. the waitress sits down at your table for a couple minutes to chat and fills your half-empty beer from your pitcher, then asks if you want another pitcher because the food they make in their deep fryers is taking forever for some reason.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Now I know. Thought that was the Applebee's Fridays type places. Those are dead.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:23 pm Now I know. Thought that was the Applebee's Fridays type places. Those are dead.
Yeah, I thought fast casual was Friday's, Applebees, etc, while Chipotle is fast food, but cooked fresh instead of frozen and microwaved like McDonalds.

And upon a Google search, I was wrong. Fast casual implies no waiter/waitress, and they listed Panera, Five Guys, Smashburger... Fridays is casual dining.

ETA: I think the last time I went to a Hooters was in college. Embarrassing to order wings at Hooters in Buffalo, but they were showing some sports game we wanted to watch and it wasn't on anywhere else.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Whatever you do don’t Google hooters waitress wings vagina.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Btw so easy to drop $15 at a fast casual place. Can do way way better with $15. Ok just still bitching about a $12 five guys burger in a Northern va mall. $50 bucks? Really?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:32 pm Whatever you do don’t Google hooters waitress wings vagina.
I haven't been this scared of the internet in a long time, starting with "who thinks of Googling that specific phrase?"
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:52 pm
Giff wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:32 pm Whatever you do don’t Google hooters waitress wings vagina.
I haven't been this scared of the internet in a long time, starting with "who thinks of Googling that specific phrase?"
I heard about this story on a podcast... maybe Jeselnik's. I've never had a vagina, but I can't imagine I'd ever consider sticking a chicken wing in it if I did have one.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:38 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:52 pm
I heard about this story on a podcast... maybe Jeselnik's. I've never had a vagina, but I can't imagine I'd ever consider sticking a chicken wing in it if I did have one.
What a misogynist!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

What a douche!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto