Swamp Pet Peeves

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Swamp Pet Peeves

Post by Jerloma »

1. When people publicly post that they are "in" in Swampcrash.

2. The rampant hipsterism in the "Spins" thread.

3. When people don't acknowledge and affirm my righteous indignation.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Swamp Pet Peeves

Post by sancarlos »

Gosh darn it, Jerloma. I'd just like to take the opportunity here to acknowledge the righteousness of the indignation you just expressed.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

4. When SC patronizes me.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is 2 the actual approach or the disbelief that people could like bands you don't know while honestly disliking Billy Joel?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

When turd used a new name in nuswamp 3.7 and made me look like an idiot.

I'm an idiot. I just like to prove it on my own terms.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

1. Is it the method (just the word "in") or the action itself? At this point, there have been enough instances of answers not getting through to the game runner that the mention in thread seems warranted.

2. I think you (and especially SL) are way too sensitive on this subject. Way more positivity ("hey, you guys should check this out") than negativity around here, and I at least think the latter is more indicative of "hipsterism".

3. sorry?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I have read the original post.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote:I have read the original post.
Wow. Getting dusty in here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:Is 2 the actual approach or the disbelief that people could like bands you don't know while honestly disliking Billy Joel?
It just seems odd that a no time is anybody ever feeling some Quiet Riot or something.
1. Is it the method (just the word "in") or the action itself? At this point, there have been enough instances of answers not getting through to the game runner that the mention in thread seems warranted.
I think it's the mistrust of technology whereas in other areas you wouldn't be remotely concerned. Like, if you email someone a PowerPoint deck at work, do you then run down to their office to make sure that they got it?
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

while honestly disliking Billy Joel
I honestly love Billy Joel, which should help you forgive at least part of my rampant hipsterism.

My biggest Swamp complaint is the simple lack of new (non-wlulax) threads. Everything gets buried in catch-all threads. I just started a thread about Jameis Winston. I know that folks have talked about him here in game-day threads among 20 other conversations, but he's big enough to stand on his own.

I've probably missed conversations that I wanted to take part in because they were in the Florida/Ohio thread, or whatever.

I feel like I'm becoming the new Hood, only popping in here to start my own threads and ignoring everything else.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jerloma wrote:3. When people don't acknowledge and affirm my righteous indignation.
Dude, this is a given. Even when I am arguing against your indignation, affirmation should be evident. Maybe like most husbands telling their wife 'I love you', we could say it more often, but this is a hard and fast fact. Don't get indignant we don't overtly acknowledge your indignancity more often.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:
Ryan wrote:I have read the original post.
Wow. Getting dusty in here.
This.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good points, Bapo. You've inspired me to occasionally start more new threads, so as to not clutter the catch-alls as much.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote:
mister d wrote:Is 2 the actual approach or the disbelief that people could like bands you don't know while honestly disliking Billy Joel?
It just seems odd that a no time is anybody ever feeling some Quiet Riot or something.
I think a lot of this stems from a seeming disbelief that certain people really do constantly listen to new music versus their old library. Maybe some day (once Missus D is back at work) we can both chart our music habits for one exciting, excitement filled week and we can analyze.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

sancarlos wrote:You've inspired me
I've inspired you! (Whoa, and I see that you just started a 'Better Call Saul' thread. It's about damn time! I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but I'll check in eventually.)

Some big threads, like the beer or music threads, are fine as is. (Billy Joel would say, 'I love them just the way they are.') But I sometimes feel dirty whenever I post in the hockey thread. I feel like I'm hurting conversation by putting things in there. On the other hand, I know what it's like when your threads sink down the page after one or two responses. Which is why the Swamp has so far been spared from my Lena Dunham/Girls appreciation thread.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

bapo! wrote: I know what it's like when your threads sink down the page after one or two responses.
Only the good die young.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pet Peeve 2 is located within my Avatar.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I never claimed to start it. I popularized it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote:I never claimed to start it. I popularized it.
Read the avatar. It can't be refuted.

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I imagine many of us have more complex musical tastes than is immediately apparent.

I am deeply embedded in the past. Deeply. Witness the Old Timey thread. Very little since 1975 has gotten past my troglodytic critical filter.

On the other hand, there are 20 or so CDs next to my desk that were produced in 2014 or 2015. I routinely request new stuff from the library, so I can see what's happening out there in the pop-rock genres. I listen to perhaps 1 in 20 more than once; I often end up tuning out or skipping to the end of tracks that clearly aren't happening for me.

Yesterday was a high hit-rate kind of day. I discovered the Madden Brothers. I had no idea they existed; must have missed the hipster alert posts on these guys. And there's some good stuff there. Definite pop-rock hits, with some nice arrangements and sounds that go beyond the usual cliches. I'll listen to whatever these guys have done previously, and in the future.

I'm not as sold on Foxygen (sp?), whatever that is. But yesterday I listened twice to a 2 CD album, and they grew on me when I paid more attention. I'm getting the prior album from the library.

Right now I'm listening to Chuck Berry in London from 1972. That's inspired by SanCarlos posting in the the Old Timey thread. Next up is Ben Howard (no idea), then the latest from my neighbor, jazz pianist Waleed Howrani. Followed by what might be Goat or Goat Commune (can't tell from the CD case), and Susan Boyle. Then the 2-disk complete version of Aretha Franklin's legendary 1972 gospel concerts.

I have low expectations about the new stuff. But as yesterday showed me, you never can tell (quoting Chuck here). Ironically, you can always tell about Chuck.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Ryan wrote:
bapo! wrote: I know what it's like when your threads sink down the page after one or two responses.
Only the good die young.
I've never been big on Swamp memes, but I do like the recent trend of Billy Joel lyrics popping up here and there. More of this, please.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DC47 wrote:I'm not as sold on Foxygen (sp?), whatever that is. But yesterday I listened twice to a 2 CD album, and they grew on me when I paid more attention. I'm getting the prior album from the library.
Ha.

In the context of this thread, at least.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DC47 wrote:I discovered the Madden Brothers. I had no idea they existed; must have missed the hipster alert posts on these guys.
See, this response will annoy J-Lo ... my guess is both actual hipsters and the self-identifying hipsters would be in agreement that the Good Charlotte boys aren't hipster music.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Oh god, THOSE Madden Brothers?

Hipster!

Last edited by Ryan on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hipster.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I've been told that there's no such thing as a self-identifying hipster.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Correct. There are people who are hipsters who would genuinely loathe the term and people who either call themselves hipsters or are called hipsters by their friends because they own a plaid shirt but are definitively not hipsters. Its a label you cannot consciously and intentionally wear because hipsters hate "hipsters".

(I should have used the sarcasm quotes in my initial post. I see the confusion now.)
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

rass wrote:
DC47 wrote:I'm not as sold on Foxygen (sp?), whatever that is. But yesterday I listened twice to a 2 CD album, and they grew on me when I paid more attention. I'm getting the prior album from the library.
Ha.

Are Foxygen big in the hipster world?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Jerloma wrote:I've been told that there's no such thing as a self-identifying hipster.
That's an extremely hipster thing to say.
mister d wrote:Correct. There are people who are hipsters who would genuinely loathe the term and people who either call themselves hipsters or are called hipsters by their friends because they own a plaid shirt but are definitively not hipsters. Its a label you cannot consciously and intentionally wear because hipsters hate "hipsters".
So, in other words, hipsters are hipsters about being hipsters.
Last edited by Johnny Carwash on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In the "hipster" world, sure. The real hipster world is small club stuff none of us know about.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is it a good parallel to compare modern "hipsters" to people who follow Buffet around while talking about their "hippie" days?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DC47 wrote:
rass wrote:
Ha.

Are Foxygen big in the hipster world?
Fuck if I know. There was a link there, in case you missed it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote:Correct. There are people who are hipsters who would genuinely loathe the term and people who either call themselves hipsters or are called hipsters by their friends because they own a plaid shirt but are definitively not hipsters. Its a label you cannot consciously and intentionally wear because hipsters hate "hipsters".
I'm wearing a plaid shirt right now!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

When some old author dies and you guys act like you're personally affected by it because you read one of his books 15 years ago.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

HEY!

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
I'm wearing a plaid shirt right now!
Six different people in my office have plaid shirts on today.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Ah, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu's Brooklyn office must be rocking today. Special Thursday afternoon craft brew party curated by Torst, with the Dap Kings performing in the courtyard.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think that perfectly encompasses pretend hipsters. Corporate job, popular band, probably the biggest beer bar in Brooklyn. Well done.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

rass wrote: 2. I think you (and especially SL) are way too sensitive on this subject. Way more positivity ("hey, you guys should check this out") than negativity around here, and I at least think the latter is more indicative of "hipsterism".

Not a chance. There's negativity and it's annoying as hell. Some of the most godawful shit is listened to in here but I don't point it out when it's posted. Rush for example is so awful (the band, not the poster) but I don't note that when they are brought up.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Mr. D had to preemptively get in on it because he knows he's the worst offender
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse