Better Call Saul thread (Spoilers)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Better Call Saul thread (Spoilers)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's a good point, in terms of my memory and not having retroactive recall of those guys. I feel like it's almost impossible that the actor that plays Howard wasn't a smarmy lawyer/business guy in stuff I've seen in the past.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I first remember seeing Giancarlo Esposito in the Spike Lee films School Daze and Do the Right Thing, a hundred years ago.

But your point is well taken. I hope these guys all get more work.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you haven’t seen any Breaking Bad eps for awhile and you want a good mind fuck, go to Netflix and watch S2E8 (“Better Call Saul”). The cold open is so reminiscent of Better Call Saul that when the Breaking Bad theme comes on you’re like “What?”

The whole episode is basically so much like a pilot for Better Call Saul that you’re amazed that it’s not.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In that episode when Walt and Jesse kidnap Saul he’s worried it’s Lalo coming to kill him so we’ve got to be pretty close to the time that fateful meeting between Walt and Saul happens.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So he just thinks Mike is lying?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:16 pm So he just thinks Mike is lying?
Fool me once…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Great point.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:03 pm If you haven’t seen any Breaking Bad eps for awhile and you want a good mind fuck, go to Netflix and watch S2E8 (“Better Call Saul”). The cold open is so reminiscent of Better Call Saul that when the Breaking Bad theme comes on you’re like “What?”

The whole episode is basically so much like a pilot for Better Call Saul that you’re amazed that it’s not.
"Cause it's your dog"

You are totally right. I loved how they showed Bob's face for the first time.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

“I’m not Vito Corleone.”

“No shit. Right now, you’re Fredo!”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

what a fucking heater, this show.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Such a good show. Brilliant writing. The time jump from Kim leaving to BB-era Saul was amazing. All the hand wringing over what happens to Kim was taken care of like ripping off a Band Aid. “She left, let’s move on.” I hope we see her again.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:51 am Such a good show. Brilliant writing. The time jump from Kim leaving to BB-era Saul was amazing. All the hand wringing over what happens to Kim was taken care of like ripping off a Band Aid. “She left, let’s move on.” I hope we see her again.
I think we'll see her again.

That quick Jimmy-to-Saul was jarring.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I still want to know what part Carol Burnett is going to play? I was betting on her being Kim’s mother.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just reading an interview with Seehorn and didn't realize: Her Emmy nomination is for the first half of the season finale... JFC... That scene where she breaks up with Jimmy is one of the most intense things I've ever watched, and she's not even nominated on those merits.

I said this about Lalo and Howard, but obviously... I really want this woman showing up in a ton of good shit in the years to come. She's incredible.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I audibly cried out “No!” when Kim told the judge she left the practice of law.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've been wondering how they were going to deal with Kim being completely out of Saul's life by the end of the show. And do that in a way that fit both of their characters and the storyline. I always assumed she would be killed or something, but then how could Saul have stayed in contact with Gus and co? I think the way they did it was perfect. I didn't see it coming, but yet it makes total sense. It also did a great job of explaining his full switch into Saul, a character he had only dabbled in before.

Man, I love great writing.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I was discussing with a friend what might happen in the final BCS episodes. We figure we have to learn the resolution of “Gene” in Omaha, who you’ll recall got ID’d by a guy, last we saw him.

Also, my friend remembered this scene where one of the last things Saul/Jimmy told Francesca before he vanished was to be ready for a phone call from him at a future specific date and time. Could that have been foreshadowing something we’ll see in one of these last episodes?

Here’s that great scene:
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Thanks!!! I am re-watching Breaking bad to see the Jimmy eps again l but won’t get to the last season in time
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thoughts on last night's episode? I have to watch the next three live because I'll be so pissed if anything gets spoiled.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Loved it. Worked as a palate cleanser without feeling like wasted time.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I wanted to see that Jimmy one more time. Felt like season 1.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That's Gene Parmesan.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"Gene" had to resolve the issue of that guy who had ID'd him. Now, that guy can't say a thing. Classic Saul.

Edited to add:
I think Jeffy could get caught selling stolen goods and then give up Gene in a heartbeat in exchange for a better deal. I also think Jeffy’s mom is much more savvy than Jeffy and maybe going to realize something’s going on and could complicate matters.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Felt like the most recent episode was designed to remind us of the Slippin' Jimmy we met in Cicero as was noted by someone (apropos of nothing, I am currently in Cicero, IL), as well as set up Jimmy/Saul/Gene's final fall(?) in the last few episodes.

Feel like there's some definite surprises in store. There were some interesting writing decisions designed to make sure we were very aware that it is the fall/winter of 2010 (Nebraska is still in the Big 12 and Taylor Martinez is the freshman Nebraska QB and it is apparently very snowy in Omaha). I think that was partly to show the emotional intelligence that Jimmy/Saul has to make sure to be able to interact with the mall security guard but also to show that Walt is still in his winter NH exile (remember it is still winter or at least early, early spring when he finally leaves NH to set in motion the final events of Breaking Bad. It is impiled (or said outright?) in BB that Walt was gone/wanted for about six months. It seems possible to me that the final events of BCS might somehow have some kind of interaction with the final events of BB?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, i also noticed the references to Taylor Martinez/Bo Pelini/Big 12, to remind us of the time frame. I think we’ve mostly resolved Saul and we’ll focus a lot on Gene, now. Looking forward to seeing Walter and Jesse, and maybe more of Carol Burnett, and another scene with Kim???
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:09 pm Yeah, i also noticed the references to Taylor Martinez/Bo Pelini/Big 12, to remind us of the time frame. I think we’ve mostly resolved Saul and we’ll focus a lot on Gene, now. Looking forward to seeing Walter and Jesse, and maybe more of Carol Burnett, and another scene with Kim???
There's a lot of ways it could go. I think BCS could likely finish off the Saul timeline by running it up to the day Jesse and Walt first decided to use Saul's services to get Badger released (and not whacked) but I still think it's possible that event is somehow "bookended" with the ultimate fate of Gene.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I refuse to believe the last scene we see with Jimmy and Kim is her revealing she knew Lalo was alive. It seems like such an unceremonious endings to an all-time great TV relationship (the acting/story, not the actual relationship itself).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:05 pm I refuse to believe the last scene we see with Jimmy and Kim is her revealing she knew Lalo was alive. It seems like such an unceremonious endings to an all-time great TV relationship (the acting/story, not the actual relationship itself).
The obvious possibility that's been discussed for many seasons is that Omaha is where Kim is from and it's not a coincidence that Saul/Gene is there.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Decent episode. At first I was kinda meh on it, but thinking about it more it's just in Jimmy's nature to be this hustler.

Also, brace yourselves, the next episode is titled "Breaking Bad."

(Breaking Bad had an episode titled "Better Call Saul," so I like the symmetry.)

Edit:

Oh, and I'm not sure if I said this before, but the Cottonwood Mall is actually in Albuquerque. So that's a silly little quirk of the show to me. IT'S LIKE JIMMY NEVER LEFT.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:04 pm Oh, and I'm not sure if I said this before, but the Cottonwood Mall is actually in Albuquerque. So that's a silly little quirk of the show to me. IT'S LIKE JIMMY NEVER LEFT.
Cottonwood mall is about a 5 minute drive from my parents’ place in Rio Rancho!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm just catching up on Season 5 on Netflix...and its good...but here's what my main issue with this show is: I don't understand the who Kim/Jimmy relationship. Are they a couple? They have zero passion/chemistry for each other, it seems to me. Why are they living together? Are they attracted to each other? You never see them kiss or be affectionate to each other.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:52 am I'm just catching up on Season 5 on Netflix...and its good...but here's what my main issue with this show is: I don't understand the who Kim/Jimmy relationship. Are they a couple? They have zero passion/chemistry for each other, it seems to me. Why are they living together? Are they attracted to each other? You never see them kiss or be affectionate to each other.
Without giving too much away... There is a weirdness to their relationship that is rooted in the fact that it's unclear at times, especially when it comes to Kim, as to what is really behind their connection and what keeps them tethered to each other.

Others could round that out without spoilers, but you're not exactly off with that observation at the point you are in the storyline.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Need to set a reminder to start watching about 8:15 tonight. I can't risk any spoilers at this point.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

1) The whole episode was really well done and agreed that it was very cool seeing Slippin' Jimmy back in action. I like the little touches of him wearing the ring (didn't take it off in that last scene in the department store, I noticed) and even his body posture and demeanor changed (more shoulders back, eyes more alive than usual.)

2) Very much a "me" thing, but I've been going back and rewatching Parks & Rec during times where I'm doing dishes or folding or whatever... It was awesome seeing "Jerry" in those scenes. And really enjoyed his performance. That seen where Jeffy slips and Gene has to keep him engaged was INTENSE... the show is sooo good at that.

3) I have no idea where this is going, but really hoping we get another few scenes to wrap up or round out the Kim storyline. Feels very unfinished to me.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:06 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:52 am I'm just catching up on Season 5 on Netflix...and its good...but here's what my main issue with this show is: I don't understand the who Kim/Jimmy relationship. Are they a couple? They have zero passion/chemistry for each other, it seems to me. Why are they living together? Are they attracted to each other? You never see them kiss or be affectionate to each other.
Without giving too much away... There is a weirdness to their relationship that is rooted in the fact that it's unclear at times, especially when it comes to Kim, as to what is really behind their connection and what keeps them tethered to each other.

Others could round that out without spoilers, but you're not exactly off with that observation at the point you are in the storyline.
You're both right of course and it's worth noting that I think there is a definite intellectual connection between the two that is palpable and has been shown time and time again over the run of the show. Jimmy/Saul is absolutely attracted to Kim's brass/brains ("World's 2nd Best Lawyer" mug that he is so attached to) and Kim, especially with her white lower class background, is attracted to the same features in Jimmy.

Given that the fact that the show doesn't show them mashing in bed or whatever is largely irrelevant.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Building off that...
[+] spoiler
They do seem to show them being more affecionate in S6, which I chalk up to that being more an evolution or extension of their first spark which is what you point out - attraction to the hustle and how they're both expert at it. That's what bound them mostly at first and the physical attraction seemed to follow from that.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He should have listened to Mike.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

"Hey, are you gonna try that again or are they gonna find us soon buried in a sandstorm a thousand years from now?"

Nice Ozymandias reference.

Edit:

https://www.oakley4defenselaw.com/
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Little help!
[+] spoiler
Ok, so that scene with Walter and Jesse seemed pointless and shoehorned into the episode. What did I miss?