Cultural Blind Spots

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Cultural Blind Spots

Post by A_B »

EDIT: FUCKING NEWPAGE'D.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

AB has it right.

I knew I should've linked this in my post:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mocking-spongebob
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:27 am AB has it right.

I knew I should've linked this in my post:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mocking-spongebob
Oh I think Rass knew.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

See, you learn something every day.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

With the recent Joss Whedon headlines, I looked up his IMDB page. I've heard the name forever, and I knew he did SciFy/fantasy type stuff, but I get his work and JJ Abrams confused. Looking at his Whedon's page, the only thing I've seen is the Dr. Horrible web series during the writers' strike. Unless you count that he was a writer on Roseanne, which I don't think he is really know for. Looking at Abram's page, I didn't do much better. I watched a season or two of Lost back when Netflix was a mailing DVD service before giving up and I watched the first few episodes of Alias. Beyond that, nothing. I really wanted to see 11.22.63 after reading the book, I should look for that. I've got nothing against SciFy, but in retrospect I guess I really don't seek it out, either.

ETA: Extra note of embarrassment, I get Joss Whedon and Wil Wheaton confused.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

nerd cred = 0
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

SyFy can take a flying leap for canceling the Expanse.

h/t Amazon for picking production and streaming the series.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:54 pm With the recent Joss Whedon headlines, I looked up his IMDB page. I've heard the name forever, and I knew he did SciFy/fantasy type stuff, but I get his work and JJ Abrams confused. Looking at his Whedon's page, the only thing I've seen is the Dr. Horrible web series during the writers' strike. Unless you count that he was a writer on Roseanne, which I don't think he is really know for. Looking at Abram's page, I didn't do much better. I watched a season or two of Lost back when Netflix was a mailing DVD service before giving up and I watched the first few episodes of Alias. Beyond that, nothing. I really wanted to see 11.22.63 after reading the book, I should look for that. I've got nothing against SciFy, but in retrospect I guess I really don't seek it out, either.

Yeah... me too.

I think Wil Wheaton was on "Big Bang Theory" once or twice. Otherwise, I have no idea.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:32 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:54 pm With the recent Joss Whedon headlines, I looked up his IMDB page. I've heard the name forever, and I knew he did SciFy/fantasy type stuff, but I get his work and JJ Abrams confused. Looking at his Whedon's page, the only thing I've seen is the Dr. Horrible web series during the writers' strike. Unless you count that he was a writer on Roseanne, which I don't think he is really know for. Looking at Abram's page, I didn't do much better. I watched a season or two of Lost back when Netflix was a mailing DVD service before giving up and I watched the first few episodes of Alias. Beyond that, nothing. I really wanted to see 11.22.63 after reading the book, I should look for that. I've got nothing against SciFy, but in retrospect I guess I really don't seek it out, either.

Yeah... me too.

I think Wil Wheaton was on "Big Bang Theory" once or twice. Otherwise, I have no idea.
Try 17 times! I know its been said before, but I will never understand how anyone can watch that show. I've tried a couple times and it is just horrendously unfunny. I do love whoever posted clips with the laugh track removed, that I could watch. While I'm shitting on popular things, I don't think Kaley Cuoco is pretty. She is the general outline of what is supposed to be hot, but I don't find her attractive.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:44 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:32 pm

Yeah... me too.

Try 17 times! I know its been said before, but I will never understand how anyone can watch that show. I've tried a couple times and it is just horrendously unfunny. I do love whoever posted clips with the laugh track removed, that I could watch. While I'm shitting on popular things, I don't think Kaley Cuoco is pretty. She is the general outline of what is supposed to be hot, but I don't find her attractive.
She's Saturday morning, walking around in her sweats in the co-ed dorm hot.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Wil Wheaton is the reason I play board games.

Before that I kinda knew him as being that young guy on that one iteration of Star Trek. And for the Family Guy "Hwil Hwheaton" joke.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Before Star Trek, Wil Wheaton was one of the boys in the film Stand By Me. He used to be a decent follow on Twitter too, but I haven’t seen anything from him lately.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:50 pm Before Star Trek, Wil Wheaton was one of the boys in the film Stand By Me. He used to be a decent follow on Twitter too, but I haven’t seen anything from him lately.
Wil Hweaton was also an extra in the underrated 80s time-capsule, The Last Starfighter.
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:50 pm Before Star Trek, Wil Wheaton was one of the boys in the film Stand By Me. He used to be a decent follow on Twitter too, but I haven’t seen anything from him lately.
Family Feud host
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:13 pm
Family Feud host
Not my best category. As you saw last night.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

He was a good follow but he was canceled - I think it was for tentatively defending a friend who was accused of being abusive. Or maybe just not denouncing him.

His wife is still a good follow.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, he defended Chris Hardwick.

He and his wife are far more active on Instagram. It has much less vitriol and fewer crazy assholes compared to Twitter.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm SyFy can take a flying leap for canceling the Expanse.

We've watched the first couple of episodes of this. Can't quite decide on it yet.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I suppose this should go I. Confessions but I watched goodfellas over the weekend and I’m pretty sure I’d never seen it even though I thought I had.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:32 pm Yea, he defended Chris Hardwick.

He and his wife are far more active on Instagram. It has much less vitriol and fewer crazy assholes compared to Twitter.
It's ridiculous because the Hardwick story was from a lone accusation of a pretty clearly was an unstable person with a serious ax to grind. So to cancel Wheaton over that is nonsense.

Wheaton is also kind of active on Facebook.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:54 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm SyFy can take a flying leap for canceling the Expanse.

We've watched the first couple of episodes of this. Can't quite decide on it yet.
I'm not done with the show yet, but it gets *a lot better* in S2. S1 is a lot of world-building.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:18 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:54 pm

I'm not done with the show yet, but it gets *a lot better* in S2. S1 is a lot of world-building.
Keep at it. Halfway through S1 should be enough.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:14 pm

It's ridiculous because the Hardwick story was from a lone accusation of a pretty clearly was an unstable person with a serious ax to grind. So to cancel Wheaton over that is nonsense.

Yup, don't say that too loud though or a thousand white knights and anti-men activists will come after you.

And don't dare defend your friend either. The internet is always right.

https://www.nealdavislaw.com/blog/sex-c ... ns-dropped
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:51 pm

Yup, don't say that too loud though or a thousand white knights and anti-men activists will come after you.

I was drafting a more strident defense of both, but ran out of steam.

What the cancel culture folks don't seem to understand* is that when you say "believe all women" you put a huge dent in the credibility of another wise worthy movement.

* I suspect many in the groups you mention understand, they just don't care because they get off on the cancelation.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:11 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:51 pm

I was drafting a more strident defense of both, but ran out of steam.

What the cancel culture folks don't seem to understand* is that when you say "believe all women" you put a huge dent in the credibility of another wise worthy movement.

* I suspect many in the groups you mention understand, they just don't care because they get off on the cancelation.
canceling
cancelling
cancelation
cancellation

None of these give the squiggly lines of shame.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'm a one 'l' guy.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:11 pmI was drafting a more strident defense of both, but ran out of steam.

There are publically disclosed accusations and many, many more that never become public. We need to enable a culture of understanding and resolve to root out and reject toxic individuals that put fear into accusers who wan't to come forward but fear reprisal. They need to be protected.

There are also people who make false accusations for the clout and opportunity to feel better about themselves. These people need to be shunned and be given advise to sell help.

It kinda says a lot when the first place you go to is a blog post instead of the authorities. Not saying you can't, but that screams "petty revenge" more than "correcting a wrong and helping to prevent future wrongs." And really, go to Ronan Farrow before you go to Jezebel or a site like it.

The only way this works is you have a strict adherence to "innocent until proven guilty" and let the proper authorities investigate. Take the accusations seriously, but make sure they're legitimate.

Unfortunately, the Twitter Mob will clamp to sides, and everyone gets drug through the mud in the process -- except the keyboard warriors inciting it all.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

He's also beer nerd that collaborated (collaborates with) Stone on a pretty good stout. He was pouring beer at the bar you and I went to in the Tenderloin when my wife and I first there (it was during SF Beer Week.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 pmThe only way this works is you have a strict adherence to "innocent until proven guilty" and let the proper authorities investigate. Take the accusations seriously, but make sure they're legitimate.
I know its not what you're getting at, but so many predators rely on the knowledge it'll be nearly impossible to "prove" what they did. That can't be the standard for believing an accuser.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

RE: Wheaton --

Most of what you guys hit was on the nose. I don't believe he was "canceled" for anything related to Hardwick, though they're close friends. About the time the Hardwick news broke, WW was going through a fairly open conversation about getting sober, and removed himself from Twitter (probably the best thing for him with the Trump administration).

The Joss stuff is disappointing because he's been involved with so much stuff I love. Firefly is probably my favorite show of all time. Loved Buffy growing up. I don't want to let it diminish the products but it really sucks that it's apparently been pretty perverse. Also would be nice to hear from him. Maybe acknowledge that he was shitty and he's made amends and realized what he did wasn't OK when he was younger. Joss has worked on TONS of stuff that's been pretty universally successful (Marvel, etc) since the 90s when most of these things were alleged to have happened.

I don't know anymore man. It's not OK to be shitty. It's also on some people to stand up to people for being shitty in the moment. Calling someone "fat" when you're pregnant and a movie star does not make you a predator. Yelling at people you work with does not make you abusive. It makes you an asshole and you should be called out for it. Bystander syndrome is real.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:49 am
He's also beer nerd that collaborated (collaborates with) Stone on a pretty good stout. He was pouring beer at the bar you and I went to in the Tenderloin when my wife and I first there (it was during SF Beer Week.)
That was a really good stout. I just saw it on a shelf a few weeks ago and got excited they brought it back, but no, it was a 5 year old bottle that resurfaced.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 amBystander syndrome is real.
I don't think bystander syndrome factors in power dynamics.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:15 am
BSF21 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 amBystander syndrome is real.
I don't think bystander syndrome factors in power dynamics.
I mean yes and no. There's only power dynamics in a limited person setting and there's always more power in numbers. Can't fire them all so to speak. If someone is being an asshole its incumbent on others to speak up and support the wronged party. Bullies are only bullies until they get popped in the mouth. I'd like to think that if director says something to person A and persons B C D and E all stop and go "woah, out of line" there's not a lot to the power dynamic there. Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but this doesn't seem to be a locked in a room and S my D to get this part or I'll drub you out of Hollywood type stuff. I have admittedly not read a ton of it, I have very little bandwidth for actor/hollywood drama in general.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The similar dynamic I have personal experience with is politics, and I can tell you it gets very fucked up from a dynamics sense. I don't care how many letters in an alphabet, if an MoC is acting like an asshole it takes a pretty serious incident for someone to speak up. Who are they going to tell, frankly? I could go into more specifics, but the bottom line is that you don't want to lose a pretty plum position AND if you try to leave an office and your bosses* think you're going to spread shit around about the Rep, they will torpedo that shit toot-sweet.

* - It's not just the Member who can fuck with you. Depending upon your position, you can have a Chief of Staff, an Administrative Assistant (misleading as fuck title), or Legislative Director that are all capable of fucking with you in Washington. And depending on how long they've been around, it extends off the Hill.

It's different on the Senate side, just because there are ton more staffers around and it's generally just a more chilled out and professional atmosphere over there. But, as we all know, there are still examples of a'holes roaming the halls of Hart, Russell and Dirksen.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:39 am The similar dynamic I have personal experience with is politics, and I can tell you it gets very fucked up from a dynamics sense. I don't care how many letters in an alphabet, if an MoC is acting like an asshole it takes a pretty serious incident for someone to speak up. Who are they going to tell, frankly? I could go into more specifics, but the bottom line is that you don't want to lose a pretty plum position AND if you try to leave an office and your bosses* think you're going to spread shit around about the Rep, they will torpedo that shit toot-sweet.

* - It's not just the Member who can fuck with you. Depending upon your position, you can have a Chief of Staff, an Administrative Assistant (misleading as fuck title), or Legislative Director that are all capable of fucking with you in Washington. And depending on how long they've been around, it extends off the Hill.

It's different on the Senate side, just because there are ton more staffers around and it's generally just a more chilled out and professional atmosphere over there. But, as we all know, there are still examples of a'holes roaming the halls of Hart, Russell and Dirksen.
And if you work for a guy like Joe Scarborough, you wind up dead. [I don't believe Scarborough was involved]
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:11 pmI was drafting a more strident defense of both, but ran out of steam.

There are publically disclosed accusations and many, many more that never become public. We need to enable a culture of understanding and resolve to root out and reject toxic individuals that put fear into accusers who wan't to come forward but fear reprisal. They need to be protected.

There are also people who make false accusations for the clout and opportunity to feel better about themselves. These people need to be shunned and be given advise to sell help.

It kinda says a lot when the first place you go to is a blog post instead of the authorities. Not saying you can't, but that screams "petty revenge" more than "correcting a wrong and helping to prevent future wrongs." And really, go to Ronan Farrow before you go to Jezebel or a site like it.

The only way this works is you have a strict adherence to "innocent until proven guilty" and let the proper authorities investigate. Take the accusations seriously, but make sure they're legitimate.

Unfortunately, the Twitter Mob will clamp to sides, and everyone gets drug through the mud in the process -- except the keyboard warriors inciting it all.
Apologies for getting Clintonian, but I don't think it's supposed to be "believe all women," but "believe women." In other words, don't start from the premise that a claim is made up. Take the allegations seriously but also apply a critical eye.

I don't think it says anything if the accuser goes to a blog post instead of the authorities. Most of the time there's nothing the authorities can do, since most forms of sexual harassment are not crimes. And even when you're talking about an actual crimes, the authorities are not exactly known for being welcoming to accusers, especially if there's no corroborating evidence.

I don't think "innocent until proven guilty" works here either. That is a criminal standard - and it doesn't even really apply across the board in criminal law, which is why pretrial detention is such a huge thing. I think that once there's a not-immediately-suspect accusation, we can no longer assume that the accused is innocent, i.e., that the accuser is lying.

Put another way, if "innocent until proven guilty" is the standard, then shouldn't we assume that the accuser is innocent of making a false claim until the accuser is proven guilty of making the false claim?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Daft Punk
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

They helped popularize and make techno music go mainstream in the mid 90s. Over time their music evolved and they stayed at the forefront of the electronic scene.

Edit:

That's not to say the electronic scene didn't exist before then. It did, they just brought more attention to it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Techno music. Electronic scene.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They were named after an LCD Soundsystem song.