OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by testy boxcar »

wait... how are you in the air force? 175 should be your max! do other forces not have weight standards? is this why every other branch is fatter than shit?!? DID I JOIN THE WRONG BRANCH?!?!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Did you join the wrong branch? Totes, bro. Totes.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

But seriously, does the Air Force consider you overweight? I had to stay under 190 when I was in and I'm three inches taller than you. We had overweight guys but they weren't allowed to re-enlist.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote:I'm 5'7". If I weighed 160, I'd look emaciated. 175 is the lowest weight I can even view myself being.
Those BMI things are wacked anyway. I'm supposed to weigh 180 (at the high range of BMI) for my height, I weighed that in high school when I was a stick. I know I'm a bit overweight, but not not 60 lbs overwieght.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I'm 5'7". If I weighed 160, I'd look emaciated. 175 is the lowest weight I can even view myself being.
Those BMI things are wacked anyway. I'm supposed to weigh 180 (at the high range of BMI) for my height, I weighed that in high school when I was a stick. I know I'm a bit overweight, but not not 60 lbs overwieght.
6-1, 240? If you don't work out... yeah, you're close to 60 lbs overweight.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I'm a week's worth of food deprivation from 175 at 6-1 and there's no way in hell I'd be considered skinny at that #
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I'm 5'9" and can't get or keep my weight over 165. Since Jan when I started with the gym, I've been eating more, a lot more. Still, my weight is always between 155 & 165. Some body building site told me my goal should be 175, and outside of tying weights to my balls, I have no idea how that's gonna happen.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

ZMan wrote:
I'm 5'9" and can't get or keep my weight over 165. Since Jan when I started with the gym, I've been eating more, a lot more. Still, my weight is always between 155 & 165. Some body building site told me my goal should be 175, and outside of tying weights to my balls, I have no idea how that's gonna happen.
Protein, protein, protein.

But the newbie effect is something that will never, ever be replicated. (unless you go 'roidal) so enjoy it while you've got it.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

How much protein?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DC47 wrote:How much protein?
You're gonna have to ask him for at least 2 sessions.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rule of thumb is one gram of protein per lb of body weight. Back in the day, I couldn't put on weight either and I consumed mad protein and got stronger but still didn't get noticeably bigger.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Newbie effect? I'm 44 and this has been my entire life to date. Eat what I want, when I want, never gain weight.

Suck it bitches.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I am getting kinda proud of myself, wrt the last two months. I've finally put together a serious, comprehensive push towards changing my habits and getting fit. Eating right + regular exercise--at the same time!

Weight Curve, Sept. 2010-June 2013

(yeah, I lost a year in there. Nearly recovered the prior nadir, though. Those long breaks I could not bear to weigh myself, or to record the numbers. No doubt, some ugly peaks in there)

Gym Attendence, May-June 2013

Purple days, I went to the gym. Another five days in May, prior to when I started keeping track with this particular web page ( http://dontbreakthechain.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Would've been more, but a brief injury caused me to skip a week.

Yeah, finally getting my shit together. Has something to do with a new job, completely outside of practicing medicine, with a reasonable promise and hope for exiting medicine completely. This has made me happier than I thought possible.

Of course, my best progress is when there is no swamp fatbet challenge. Hood is probably fattening up too.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

We could run ze FatBet again?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

well done! where are you working out at? The YHMA by your place?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Brontoburglar wrote:well done! where are you working out at? The YHMA by your place?
Naw. I went with the fru-fru fancy gym. Unlimited towels.

But, there is a real trainer, who has outfitted the boxing room like a real gym. An oasis of fitness within the larger poseur-fest. Johnny's dad is this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Rodz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Denis wrote:We could run ze FatBet again?
Ja, ve could

http://www.fatbet.net/joinbetreg.aspx?J ... Dpc0KcWD+w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I'm in. Only because I want Bronto to stop picking on me.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I haven't been able to get to the gym at all over the past couple weeks. I feel gross. Between spending time with friends and family and transitioning over here to Germany, I can feel myself getting big...and not in a good way.

What sucks is that the CrossFit gym at Landstuhl only has class twice a day and it's the only real CrossFit gym around. Unsure of how my work schedule is going to be (already found out I won't be at the unit I thought I was coming to and that I'll be temp working in another until October where I'll be at my actual unit) and unsure of when I can fully settle in (I move into the house I'm going to rent on 1 Aug), I'll have to make due with what they have at the main gym.

We'll see how this goes.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

This. 100 times over, Johnnie, is why I can't stand the craze

Oh, and the peeing video. That's fucking horrible.
Crossfit is good, clean fun that makes your skin crawl. All the Crossfit teams looked like Abercrombie & Fitch retail staffers on their days off. Crossfit is the office bowling league of a generation far too good for bowling leagues. Crossfitters tend to have the bright smiles, boundless energy, and barely concealed smugness often associated with adherents of slightly denigrated religions, like Mormons or Heaven's Gate UFO doomsday preppers. Sometimes they don't do a great job concealing the smugness. One girl sported a T-shirt reading, "Crossfit is like a fine art. Critiqued by many. But understood by few."

Haha, yes, well. How special.

Crossfitters are impeccably fit, generally affluent and attractive, and, I think, worthy of scorn, because that they revel in overthrowing the yin-and-yang that allows society to tolerate fit people. Bodybuilders look great, but their lifestyle is freakish; weightlifters are strong, but often look like dumpsters; athletic people in general may be able to beat you up, but you can take private satisfaction in the knowledge that they're dumb. It's a matter of hydraulics. Every benefit must come with an equivalent fault, or the social fabric will rupture. Crossfit, though, aims to take educated, attractive, popular, upwardly mobile, fashion-forward people, and also make them super-fit, so that there is no area in which the average person may measure up. (I do not recommend working out in a group, and I certainly don't recommend working out in a group of super-fit type-A overachievers. Bad for one's self-esteem.) Indeed, Crossfitters would doubtless be poised to take over the world if not for their collective sense of persecution and tendency to trumpet their hobby to the world by draping themselves in branded apparel, up to and including the T-shirt I saw on one guy in Toronto that had been painstakingly folded so that only the "WODKilla" slogan showed and then wrapped into a bandanna that matched a pair of neon yellow sneakers.

Doing burpees does not constitute an identity. Take up jazz, or something.

In fairness, the need to declare affinity for the fitness lifestyle via T-shirt is hardly limited to Crossfit. It was a common theme of the entire weekend. You might think that, since we were at a fitness convention—where just about everyone was, by definition, involved in the fitness lifestyle one way or another—no one would need to publicize personal participation in that lifestyle. Not so. The T-shirts among the thousands of assembled faithful at the SuperShow were not just clothing; they were, overwhelmingly, Lifestyle Slogan Billboards.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:This. 100 times over, Johnnie, is why I can't stand the craze

What peeing video? Was it in the link? Did I miss it?

Yes, CrossFit is overwhelmingly white. Yes, it is also overwhelmingly smug. And, yes, everyone wears a shirt to represent their gym (box) or their attitude. But, as you read in the piece, there is something of a drawback with every fitness discipline. I'm not wearing paint and taking roids. That's crazy talk. And while I'm sure CrossFitters are taking stuff (I mean, Progenex? Really? That's all you take? Yea, ok.), I won't. Honestly, I can't. Random piss tests.

But, I've met some of the best people I could meet doing it. And I got a 6-pack for the first time in my life. I was part of a gym (box) on a military base, so the whole machismo and full-of-oneself aspect just wasn't there. (Yes, usually the opposite is true -- but that seemed to be the case in the 'globo gym' section of the base gym.) Everyone helped everyone. We all rooted each other on. We hung out on weekends and spent lots of time together. And it got me off my ass and actually made me want to keep doing it.

I started CrossFit because running 5 miles at a time 4-5 times a week on a treadmill was boring. I was in Balad, Iraq and just wanted to do something else with more variance. Nautilus machines were absurd to me. Plus, I didn't know much about much. So I walked into the CrossFit section. It was awesome. I was completely intimidated, but ready to learn.

So while I can completely understand why one doesn't want to do it, I can take from experience why one exactly wants too. I disparage neither. It doesn't work for you and I certainly will never try to make it so.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:This. 100 times over, Johnnie, is why I can't stand the craze

What peeing video? Was it in the link? Did I miss it?
No the peeing video is here. The more I think about it, the more it infuriates me. We're fucking glorifying a serious fucking issue here. YOU SHOULD NOT BE PISSING YOURSELF IN A GODDAMN WORKOUT. It's not that fucking complicated. Ooohhh, but look how hard she worked, she pissed herself! No... she's got some shit that needs to be sorted out.
Yes, CrossFit is overwhelmingly white. Yes, it is also overwhelmingly smug. And, yes, everyone wears a shirt to represent their gym (box) or their attitude. But, as you read in the piece, there is something of a drawback with every fitness discipline. I'm not wearing paint and taking roids. That's crazy talk. And while I'm sure CrossFitters are taking stuff (I mean, Progenex? Really? That's all you take? Yea, ok.), I won't. Honestly, I can't. Random piss tests.

But, I've met some of the best people I could meet doing it. And I got a 6-pack for the first time in my life. I was part of a gym (box) on a military base, so the whole machismo and full-of-oneself aspect just wasn't there. (Yes, usually the opposite is true -- but that seemed to be the case in the 'globo gym' section of the base gym.) Everyone helped everyone. We all rooted each other on. We hung out on weekends and spent lots of time together. And it got me off my ass and actually made me want to keep doing it.

I started CrossFit because running 5 miles at a time 4-5 times a week on a treadmill was boring. I was in Balad, Iraq and just wanted to do something else with more variance. Nautilus machines were absurd to me. Plus, I didn't know much about much. So I walked into the CrossFit section. It was awesome. I was completely intimidated, but ready to learn.

So while I can completely understand why one doesn't want to do it, I can take from experience why one exactly wants too. I disparage neither. It doesn't work for you and I certainly will never try to make it so.
There are redeeming qualities -- and there are redeeming qualities from each and every discipline listed. I'm certainly not going to say that powerlifting is teh bestz. (And while I love Hamilton's fitness stuff and that he's taking it to the "mainstream," there's sometimes something to be desired) But for crossfit and the craze, they try and succeed so damn well at being unlikeable.

The best approach takes something from all of the disciplines -- and fits your goals, ultimately. Lifting relatively heavy shit diversely with a purpose will take you a long, long, way.

More when I have more of a brain. The holiday is throwing me off and my body thinks I should be asleep.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I pulled my hamstring two weeks ago. I didn't think it was a bad one. But I still feel it when I walk.

How long do these things need to be rested? Anything I can do to speed the process?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:No the peeing video is here. The more I think about it, the more it infuriates me. We're fucking glorifying a serious fucking issue here. YOU SHOULD NOT BE PISSING YOURSELF IN A GODDAMN WORKOUT. It's not that fucking complicated. Ooohhh, but look how hard she worked, she pissed herself! No... she's got some shit that needs to be sorted out.
Totally agree. I've never peed and seeing that some girls pee because of double unders seems completely out of the norm. And Miranda Oldroyd is one of the faces of CrossFit too.
Brontoburglar wrote:There are redeeming qualities -- and there are redeeming qualities from each and every discipline listed. I'm certainly not going to say that powerlifting is teh bestz. (And while I love Hamilton's fitness stuff and that he's taking it to the "mainstream," there's sometimes something to be desired) But for crossfit and the craze, they try and succeed so damn well at being unlikeable.

The best approach takes something from all of the disciplines -- and fits your goals, ultimately. Lifting relatively heavy shit diversely with a purpose will take you a long, long, way.

More when I have more of a brain. The holiday is throwing me off and my body thinks I should be asleep.
Yea, whenever you get the chance. Honestly, I do heavy lifting along with the WODs. I look at the WODs as more of a cardio thing and lifting as, duh, a lifting thing. If I get around to really putting as much as I can into it, I'll splurge on The Outlaw Way or Gym Jones to supplement whatever's programmed. My problem is and will forever be my diet. I don't think it'll ever be right. (And Christ, living here in Germany now. I so fucking screwed. The food. The beer. The everything. It's just so damn good.)

Once I get fully established into a house with amazing internet, we should do a Swampcast. I'm 7 hours ahead of you.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DC47 wrote:I pulled my hamstring two weeks ago. I didn't think it was a bad one. But I still feel it when I walk.

How long do these things need to be rested? Anything I can do to speed the process?
I wish I could give you some doctorly advice, but I can't. I would think that a greater emphasis on stretching properly and, surprise!, squatting properly will help.

I would say get a foam roller, a lacrosse ball, and a band and do some light stretching is best, but I'm definitely no physical therapist. There are probably really awesome specific stretches you can do, but I'm not privvy to them.

But Kelly Starrett is pretty well respected his YouTube channel and his website, http://www.mobilitywod.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, ought to give you some pointers.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Johnnie wrote:Yes, CrossFit is overwhelmingly white. Yes, it is also overwhelmingly smug. And, yes, everyone wears a shirt to represent their gym (box) or their attitude. But, as you read in the piece, there is something of a drawback with every fitness discipline. I'm not wearing paint and taking roids. That's crazy talk. And while I'm sure CrossFitters are taking stuff (I mean, Progenex? Really? That's all you take? Yea, ok.), I won't. Honestly, I can't. Random piss tests.

This is a great defense of CrossFit.

I'm an old guy so I've seen 'em come and seen 'em go. Every fitness trend has its absurd excesses that are easy to lampoon. But every one also meets the genuine needs of large numbers of people and helps them become more fit. This is as true for CrossFit as it is for gyms that focus on free-weight lifting.

The smart person finds what suits them at a particular time in their life. This includes location, hours, cost, atmosphere, and demographics as well as training approach.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The only part of Crossfit I don't get is how the fuck you can compete at it. (And even stranger why anyone would want to watch that shit on TV.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote:The only part of Crossfit I don't get is how the fuck you can compete at it. (And even stranger why anyone would want to watch that shit on TV.)
Either who can perform the workout the fastest or who can put up the most weight with the metrics given. Pretty simple.

I can understand your 2nd point though. But I guess when it comes to any sort of competition, anyone would watch. (running, cooking, poker, Fear Factor..etc) I just want to see what's it's like when experts perform the workout. It's pretty amazing to me. I can barely do half the work these people can.

ETA

clarity.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:But for crossfit and the craze, they try and succeed so damn well at being unlikeable.
Here's a beautiful case-in-point to back your claim: http://crabcakesncrossfit.wordpress.com ... n-asshole/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This link was actually shared on Facebook by the CrossFit HQ page. Not sure why they'd do that since it's expletive laden and poorly written, but they did. And a coach that goes that far to be that emotional? Yikes. I just could never be like him. You want to shed the perception. Not reinforce it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Both because funny and relevant:

http://www.thugkitchen.com
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:Both because funny and relevant:

Awesome.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I just learned for the first time today that my form for cleans have been wrong the entire time.

And yes, this leaves me open for a few "I told you so..." comments. It just kind of makes me wonder what weight I could be lifting had I been doing it right the entire time.

ETA

Outstanding. I wish I could have posted the 4th of July pic on 'MURICA.

Yo, BFJ! You like their Facebook page. How come you never posted it?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That strawberry smoothie sounds good.

btw - still working out hard and regularly. Doing those squats, Bronto. I feel more fit than I have in 15 years, but I'm still not losing weight. Probably because I'm still eating way too much. Not going to get the desired results unless I eliminate the tummy. Need to lower the intake. I have a physical scheduled for Friday and I'm doing the related bloodwork tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how is all measures out.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote:I just learned for the first time today that my form for cleans have been wrong the entire time.

And yes, this leaves me open for a few "I told you so..." comments. It just kind of makes me wonder what weight I could be lifting had I been doing it right the entire time.

ETA

Outstanding. I wish I could have posted the 4th of July pic on 'MURICA.

Yo, BFJ! You like their Facebook page. How come you never posted it?
What'd they tell you? I'm guessing it has something to do with hip extension? PM me if you want.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote:

btw - still working out hard and regularly. Doing those squats, Bronto. I feel more fit than I have in 15 years, but I'm still not losing weight. Probably because I'm still eating way too much. Not going to get the desired results unless I eliminate the tummy. Need to lower the intake. I have a physical scheduled for Friday and I'm doing the related bloodwork tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how is all measures out.
They do a body good! I've been doing front squats for the past who-knows-how-long and did back squats today. That bar is not subtle about announcing its presence back on your shoulders.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:
sancarlos wrote:

They do a body good! I've been doing front squats for the past who-knows-how-long and did back squats today. That bar is not subtle about announcing its presence back on your shoulders.
I'm not sure about the distinctions among types of squats. I did a session with a trainer and he has me holding onto TRX straps (mainly for balance) and doing single-leg dips/squats 3x10x each leg. That's just one of the exercises, but its the main thing I do every day for my bum.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:What'd they tell you? I'm guessing it has something to do with hip extension? PM me if you want.
Not really hip extension. It deals more with driving from the heels. I always have a tendency to go up on my toes which forces the bar forward and, by extension, me to go forward to catch the bar.

Now the bar travels much for vertically, but I worry I won't have the ability to get power behind it. Doing cleans with a bar without weight is simple and helps the mechanics, but we'll see how it goes when I do 135 or something.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:Not really hip extension. It deals more with driving from the heels. I always have a tendency to go up on my toes which forces the bar forward and, by extension, me to go forward to catch the bar.

Now the bar travels much for vertically, but I worry I won't have the ability to get power behind it. Doing cleans with a bar without weight is simple and helps the mechanics, but we'll see how it goes when I do 135 or something.
The gym I go to at lunch is a hole-in-the-wall, cheap place with lots of old free weights and it's full of competitive power lifters. I've heard them several times talking with each other about lifting from the heels instead of toes. Most of them even have special weight-lifting shoes (with flat soles). Hearing them, I have tried to use my heels instead of toes, but it's tough. Apparently, you actually get more power when you do it correctly from your heels (although that's not really a concern for me with the weight I'm lifting).
Totally Kafkaesque