OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by Giff »

I haven't had a day without at least a 50-minute walk since February 20th and super stoked to camp this weekend so I can go on some long hikes. So, of course I wake up this morning with my first gout attack of '21. Fuck!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 am I haven't had a day without at least a 50-minute walk since February 20th and super stoked to camp this weekend so I can go on some long hikes. So, of course I wake up this morning with my first gout attack of '21. Fuck!
Sorry to hear that. Gout is a MF'er.

I think my 'eat right' bit may be seriously challenged this summer....my daughter got a part time job scooping ice cream at Baskin-Robbins.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:30 pm
Giff wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 am I haven't had a day without at least a 50-minute walk since February 20th and super stoked to camp this weekend so I can go on some long hikes. So, of course I wake up this morning with my first gout attack of '21. Fuck!
Sorry to hear that. Gout is a MF'er.

I think my 'eat right' bit may be seriously challenged this summer....my daughter got a part time job scooping ice cream at Baskin-Robbins.
First job I ever had. I was less bf back then, but way more j.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I've lost more than 10 pounds since I quit my job. Amazing what stress does to a body. (To be fair, I've been exercising a lot and have drastically cut back on my alcohol intake too, so it isn't just stress.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:26 am I've lost more than 10 pounds since I quit my job. Amazing what stress does to a body. (To be fair, I've been exercising a lot and have drastically cut back on my alcohol intake too, so it isn't just stress.
Congrats buddy!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:24 am
Sabo wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:26 am I've lost more than 10 pounds since I quit my job. Amazing what stress does to a body. (To be fair, I've been exercising a lot and have drastically cut back on my alcohol intake too, so it isn't just stress.
Congrats buddy!
Danke!
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's awesome, Sabo!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Good work!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:56 am
Shirley wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:43 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:32 am i've done a variation of that principle and have been debating going back to it after I get sick of 5/3/1 in a few months. it's enjoyable. and leads to some fun soreness
I don't want to do too much of the 5-3-1 type stuff because - again, usually no spotter, and I also don't want to risk fucking up my back on a deadlift or squat.
my usual lack of a spotter is exactly why I like 5-3-1. the formula makes the weights low enough that you're not one-rep maxing for a loooong time and you're advised to shut it off before you ride the strugglebus on a rep. I'd much rather get 3-5 good reps in later as singles or doubles than by trying to get 7 instead of 6 reps on my last set because I pushed it too far
I'm thinking about trying the 5/3/1 thing next. What variant do you do? I want one with a good mix of complimentary exercises.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

45 pound bar: Shirley you are lookin Good!

25 lb Dumbbell: you don’t need me! Go for the 45s!

Squat rack: dat ass, doe.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:14 pm 45 pound bar: Shirley you are lookin Good!

25 lb Dumbbell: you don’t need me! Go for the 45s!

Squat rack: dat ass, doe.
Ha! Took me a minute to realize what you were talking about.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:02 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:56 am
Shirley wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:43 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:32 am i've done a variation of that principle and have been debating going back to it after I get sick of 5/3/1 in a few months. it's enjoyable. and leads to some fun soreness
I don't want to do too much of the 5-3-1 type stuff because - again, usually no spotter, and I also don't want to risk fucking up my back on a deadlift or squat.
my usual lack of a spotter is exactly why I like 5-3-1. the formula makes the weights low enough that you're not one-rep maxing for a loooong time and you're advised to shut it off before you ride the strugglebus on a rep. I'd much rather get 3-5 good reps in later as singles or doubles than by trying to get 7 instead of 6 reps on my last set because I pushed it too far
I'm thinking about trying the 5/3/1 thing next. What variant do you do? I want one with a good mix of complimentary exercises.
I did the boring but big variation for two cycles and now added more variation. the key is to get some sort of squat/deadlift/press in on the accessory work even if it's for a couple of sets just to grease the movement pattern groove. I've found that I do better on strength exercises if I do that movement pattern at least twice a week

boring but big kicks your ass more than you think, but it's also ... boring because you're doing the same 4 exercises the entire time unless you throw in some direct arm work or direct hamstring/glute work at the end

so now it's looking something like this

Day 1: Squat 5/3/1, Single leg squats, Deadlift variation 3-4x12
Day 2: Bench 5/3/1, Dips, Incline Bench 3-4x12 (plus pullups and inverted rows and some direct arm work)
Day 4: Deadlift 5/3/1, Single leg squats, squat variation 3-4x12
Day 5: Incline 5/3/1, Dips, Bench 3-4x12 (same)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I'd like to have some variation. I'm fine with the one main exercise of the day, but I feel like it's good to get some complEmentary stuff in there as well.

Do you really do bench one day and incline another? I thought the fourth main exercise was usually shoulder press?
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it is -- I forgot to add in that post that my basement ceiling isn't tall enough for a shoulder press + I don't want to landmine press for low reps

and I also do it for my shoulder health too. I throw in a fair amount of posterior work on off days because I'm at a computer so much
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I don't know how you southerners run in this heat and humidity. Anyway, my running group has a beer!

elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

officially old.
intermittent knee pain the last few months, affecting lifting and soccer/running. have a ragnar upcoming in october, time to really put in trail miles in.. knees were waking me up..
saw the doc today (well, the PA.. and i wish a had pic!) who after x-rays and handling of my legs said looks like onset of arthritis.. then gave me a cortisone shot i didn't even feel when she slipped it in. back to see her in three weeks for a follow up.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

elflaco2 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:56 am officially old.
intermittent knee pain the last few months, affecting lifting and soccer/running. have a ragnar upcoming in october, time to really put in trail miles in.. knees were waking me up..
saw the doc today (well, the PA.. and i wish a had pic!) who after x-rays and handling of my legs said looks like onset of arthritis.. then gave me a cortisone shot i didn't even feel when she slipped it in. back to see her in three weeks for a follow up.
The cortisone shot has done wonders for my shoulder
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

i had four of those in my back in 07 - supposed to last a few months. never went back..that and likely the 25lbs i dropped helped with those herniated disks.
she did say i could likely look fwd to knee replacement in 20-25 yrs.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I haven't had to do an official PT test for the AF since April 2019, due to COVID. I've basically fallen off the fitness wagon completely and when I go to take my next and final one, it'll be an entire new and easier standard with options:

Air Force releases cardio and strength fitness assessment alternatives, new online capabilities

Fox News was actually crying about it the other day.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:39 pm I haven't had to do an official PT test for the AF since April 2019, due to COVID. I've basically fallen off the fitness wagon completely and when I go to take my next and final one, it'll be an entire new and easier standard with options:

Air Force releases cardio and strength fitness assessment alternatives, new online capabilities

Fox News was actually crying about it the other day.

Did you see this video of Tom Cotton and Chuck Grassley doing 'pushups' the other day?

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

"0, 0, 0, 0...."

Jeezus.

Now, I don't expect Grassley to do push ups with perfect form and look strong doing it because he's very much not young, but for 44 year old Army Ranger, No Quarter Cotton, bold move to call those push ups.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Looks ok to me
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Signed up for a 4 mile race this morning at the last minute. Ran it in 27:36 (chip time), a 6:54/mile pace.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

rass wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:05 am Signed up for a 4 mile race this morning at the last minute. Ran it in 27:36 (chip time), a 6:54/mile pace.
Wow, that's fast. I haven't gotten under 7 minutes for one of my miles yet.

Signed up for my first half marathon, August 1st. Also noticing knee pain not when I run but when I kneel on it, so I'm just not kneeling and hoping for the best.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Hot damn! That's flying. Nice work!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I run a good 2 minutes per mile slower than that on my daily runs, and was expecting to average out around 8 really pushing myself. Was pleasantly surprised.

Hope the knee behaves itself. If you pickup some of those TB12 products/habits you’ll be able to tie your shoes without bending your knees at all.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:42 amSigned up for my first half marathon, August 1st. Also noticing knee pain not when I run but when I kneel on it, so I'm just not kneeling and hoping for the best.
God that’s going to be awkward for you if there’s a 30 second kneel-in for equality before the race.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:23 am
EdRomero wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:42 amSigned up for my first half marathon, August 1st. Also noticing knee pain not when I run but when I kneel on it, so I'm just not kneeling and hoping for the best.
God that’s going to be awkward for you if there’s a 30 second kneel-in for equality before the race.
He could just put down the other knee.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:04 pm
That means you’re gay.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:32 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:04 pm
That means you’re gay.
June really is over.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The old lady and I are making a conscious effort to eat better meals, cooke more from home, etc. This mornings breakfast is a cherry and beet almondmilk smoothie. This may bee the first beet I have ever had in my life. Very earthy. Not terrible, just earthy.

apparently good for the liver as well. been trying to drink way less, so my liver is probably confused as hell.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Pickled Beets are the way to go.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Don't freak out when you piss or shit maroon.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I figure that's coming. As the ice int he smoothie melted it became less earthy. I could definitely see that becoming a regular breakfast option. And finally get to use the $130 ninja mixer my oldest just HAD TO HAVE but now won't even bother to take to Boston.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I've been back to the gym for the last 2 weeks and started this yesterday.

http://www.hockeyeasternontario.ca/docs ... rogram.pdf

Fuck. This. Shit.

It is very difficult and I'm trying to modify some of it. I'm sure it'll get easier as I haven't lifted weights in 16 months, but I am in a world of ouch today.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's been years since I've lifted weights, but would like to start. Waiting on my friend to get his garage gym back from fixing his house from busted pipes in February so we can start.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:43 am It's been years since I've lifted weights, but would like to start. Waiting on my friend to get his garage gym back from fixing his house from busted pipes in February so we can start.
Just do way less than you think you should the first day.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 am
Giff wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:43 am It's been years since I've lifted weights, but would like to start. Waiting on my friend to get his garage gym back from fixing his house from busted pipes in February so we can start.
Like 65% as much and then bump it up about 5% or so each workout over the next two weeks until you get where you think you *should* have been on that first day

especially when it comes to squats and deadlifts
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:53 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 am
Like 65% as much and then bump it up about 5% or so each workout over the next two weeks until you get where you think you *should* have been on that first day

especially when it comes to squats and deadlifts
Counterpoint: Squats suck.

ETA: Of course they are a great exercise, but I've never had a day after squats where I was like..."Totally worth it!" I don't need to move boulders anymore. I'll just do some standing squats with dumbbells and call it a day and still be able to walk normal tomorrow. Too old for that shit!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Should I have said decades?