OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:52 pm we got a peloton last week and ... I see why people get addicted
Uh, yup.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I’m laughing way too hard at that. According to the comments, she freaked out at a user name Pedalphilia and kicked him out of the class.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:16 am EGD on Tuesday - all good - no more signs of Barrett’s esophagus (had signs of it several years ago and this was the re-check). Even better my glucose was at 85 before the procedure- normal is apparently 70-120 so…fucking win for controlling the diabetes.

And, finally, just did my week or so check in on weight and hit 200.8 this AM. Officially just “overweight” now and below obese. Fuck off bmi chart.

Also, because my 38 inch jeans have been feeling baggy (they were actually hella tight didn’t really fit into them in the summer) stopped at an Old Navy to see if I am down to a 36 inch jean, and I was not. Actually, motherfucking 34 inch jeans. So I purchased two.

Next goals - below 200 and get to 185 and see how that feels.

38 pounds lost since late august - and 49 from my horrific 2022 summer high.

Best I’ve felt at Christmas/year’s end physically in decades.
201.6 today - so up .8 from last week (despite a TON of walking) but I feel okay about it given Christmas week and a ton of food/sugar that was out of the ordinary so only being up .8 feels like a win. Should get back to more normal eating in the upcoming week. Also, was probably due a week or two where the weight loss slows down a tad - big picture - happy with the progress and working hard not to feel tripped up.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Either the 52 mile week (that's about how much I walked/hiked between Dec. 23 and Dec. 31) had a delayed effect or getting back to more normal non-holiday eating was the trick (or, you know, there will be hold weeks as it isn't reasonable to lose every week) - but checked in this AM and am down to 196.4. So a little over five pounds since new years. Means I can check off my next goal reached of getting below 200. 42 pounds overall since late August.

I guess next mini-goal will be getting below 190. 188 will be 50 overall lost if I can get there and as a red-blooded american, I do like round numbers.

I think maybe 175 is my aim overall, dunno. 168 to get within alleged normal weight per BMI chart. Will see how it goes and if I am able to keep losing steadily.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's awesome, TB. Keep it up (until it becomes unhealthy!)!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:31 am That's awesome, TB. Keep it up (until it becomes unhealthy!)!
I don’t think this is going all Karen Carpenter but if somehow it did that would have been the last thing anyone would ever have guessed for how I will go out.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Damn that's a lot of miles. Awesome job.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Great job TB!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's really awesome, TB!

I've had a really hard time being motivated lately. My wife gets up at the same time every weekday and walks three miles. I used to join her all the time, but probably haven't in a month. I told her today to make sure I wake up with her every single day and to not let me stay in bed. Of course, it was pouring when we woke up this morning, so I stayed in bed.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've accepted that getting up before I have to get up is simply not something I'm built for. Lunch walk is good, afterwork walk is good, but I can't give up those however many minutes of peace before my first actual task.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:35 am I've accepted that getting up before I have to get up is simply not something I'm built for. Lunch walk is good, afterwork walk is good, but I can't give up those however many minutes of peace before my first actual task.
I can do it because we don't go immediately. It's typically an hour after we wake up, so I get some coffee and either scroll through Twitter or clean-up some e-mails. Then we get the youngest on the bus and start the walk from there. I have to do it this way because we have about half the year when any walk after 10:00am is brutal.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I wake up and two labs with very cute death stares inevitably is the motivation I need to get moving. They've made a legit walk around 6 am and an evening walk after dinner 100% non-negotiable. Telling them yard time is just as good is an argument I have given up on winning. On an up note, that guarantees me at about 3 miles a day walking during the work week until I can get to my longer weekend hikes...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good job, TB!

I’ll know my old dog has had it when she no longer wants her two walks per day.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:51 am I wake up and two labs with very cute death stares inevitably is the motivation I need to get moving. They've made a legit walk around 6 am and an evening walk after dinner 100% non-negotiable. Telling them yard time is just as good is an argument I have given up on winning. On an up note, that guarantees me at about 3 miles a day walking during the work week until I can get to my longer weekend hikes...
It is a rare day when I get under three miles for this reason, most days are around four, if not higher.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:10 am
I think maybe 175 is my aim overall, dunno. 168 to get within alleged normal weight per BMI chart. Will see how it goes and if I am able to keep losing steadily.
Your progress is awesome -- and if you're already in 34s, I don't know if you need to sweat the BMI chart too much. go for whatever goal you feel you'll be the most comfortable at, but don't chase the chart unless you really, really want to!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:37 pm our bike crapped out so we needed a replacement. she has been wanting one for a few years -- basically since we bought this house -- so this was the time to do it with the black friday deal

I haven't tried any of the classes yet but will be doing that soon as I'm running out of scenic rides. I've enjoyed the 30 min rides through Oregon/Hawaii/London/etc that are good interval training. the app hooks up to my apple watch automatically and connects to the heart rate sensor, etc. it's still been great running weather here, but it'll be especially great when it gets cold and I don't want to go running in sub-freezing temps

the $44 per month for the all-access is a bit steep, but cheaper than what I was paying for just my gym membership before we built the home gym and it's shareable
ok, I get the appeal now

It's been a little less than a month since we got the bike and I think I'm using it 5-6 times a week and that will go up to daily now that it's frigid and there's snow on the ground. the classes are pretty good -- I've been instructor surfing and learned that classes are much easier to follow in English than they are in German

the self-worth, overcoming obstacles talk during classes can be a little over the top, but that's a very minor quibble. I like how "woke" it is (not using that term perjoratively, just that everyone seems extremely accepting and the openness is clear and can see how someone closed-minded would hate it).

the types of classes have also been great to address weaker areas of my training. I've got the lifting and the "go out and run 4 miles in a half hour" thing down pat. what I haven't focused a lot on lately has been interval and speed training. climb portions during classes are much easier for me than speed portions at the moment.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

194.6 - so two pounds in the last two weeks.

On a down note, with money tight, I've fucked myself on my suits. As in, I can't wear any of them. Or the shirts. And they can't be taken in. I have a place I get suits from and they have my history and I am down 9 inches in the belly from last measurement which was summer 2022. That's...a lot, I guess. He laughed when I asked about taking them in/altering them so they could continue to be used. Other measurements down too -waist seven inches, chest three inches, etc. etc.

So...two new suits four shirts and four ties ordered. I didn't want to spend the money but if I have to go to court, I kinda don't really have anything to wear at the moment.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:49 am 194.6 - so two pounds in the last two weeks.

On a down note, with money tight, I've fucked myself on my suits. As in, I can't wear any of them. Or the shirts. And they can't be taken in. I have a place I get suits from and they have my history and I am down 9 inches in the belly from last measurement which was summer 2022. That's...a lot, I guess. He laughed when I asked about taking them in/altering them so they could continue to be used. Other measurements down too -waist seven inches, chest three inches, etc. etc.

So...two new suits four shirts and four ties ordered. I didn't want to spend the money but if I have to go to court, I kinda don't really have anything to wear at the moment.
That's great, other than the expense... I had the benefit of waiting until after COVID to have my suits taken in, and by that time, I gained so much of the weight back, the suits are passable.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"I've lost so much weight my ties don't fit!"

Great work, TB. As Bronto can attest, I'm hoping to join this thread in earnest when the Peloton arrives on Thursday assuming (1) it fits in the basement and (2) I use it.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:11 pm "I've lost so much weight my ties don't fit!"

Great work, TB. As Bronto can attest, I'm hoping to join this thread in earnest when the Peloton arrives on Thursday assuming (1) it fits in the basement and (2) I use it.
It’s definitely first world complaints - I get that - but it’s $2000 I don’t really have so it went on a card and that part sorta blows.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Unfortunately, I’ve gone the wrong way. With all the surgeries, only one good eye and one good shoulder, I have become less motivated to exercise, and sit around the house more, which leads to snacking.

But, reading about the good work by some of you other guys has inspired me a bit. I start physical therapy on the shoulder this Friday, and I hope I can parlay that into better habits.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:23 pmIt’s definitely first world complaints - I get that - but it’s $2000 I don’t really have so it went on a card and that part sorta blows.
For some reason it being "only" $1,450 (free shipping and assembly) made it low enough for us to jump. Plus an extra $100 in free accessories so the mat + the cleats for the cheaper non-Peloton shoes means I can pretend its not all that bad.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

word of warning -- do not do a metal music ride anytime soon (lots of the standard 30-min classes are themed, there's a millennial instructor who does a lot of 90s/2000s indie/alt rock who consistently has good playlists, there are hip-hop rides, etc). I hadn't done one before and wanted a good 30 minute ride yesterday. got 5 min in and she says "this is the hardest class I teach" and ... yeah. deadlift day was fun today.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Is it shitty nü metal or metallica-heavy?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the latter. Korn, Metallica and a couple other songs I had recognized but couldn't tell you the band off the top of my head
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:12 pm Is it shitty nü metal or metallica-heavy?
Yeah, a lot of people’s definitions go pretty wild. In 1989 Jethro Tull won a Grammy in the Metal category (which greatly confused everyone, including the members of Jethro Tull.)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I did three proper pushups on Thursday. May try for three more next Thursday. I genuinely hate pushups.

Also, I have decided when people ask how much I've lost to respond as if I am zumba or tom1860 - gonna hit them with "3 stone! thanks for asking!"
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:26 am I did three proper pushups on Thursday. May try for three more next Thursday. I genuinely hate pushups.

Also, I have decided when people ask how much I've lost to respond as if I am zumba or tom1860 - gonna hit them with "3 stone! thanks for asking!"
Billiant.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:49 am 194.6 - so two pounds in the last two weeks.
192.6 - so 3.8 pounds since Jan. 8 - so a little over a pound a week on average - makes sense that the slowdown is arriving but steady loss still which is good. Next goal still is to get into the 180s. Hopefully just a few weeks away.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Great job, TennBen!

I completely unintentionally did Dry January. I never got around to getting wine, and the couple times I went out I was driving.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You must not be an alcoholic lawyer. Not sure that would ever happen here unintentionally. Still contemplating whether I could do it intentionally
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:55 am You must not be an alcoholic lawyer. Not sure that would ever happen here unintentionally. Still contemplating whether I could do it intentionally
The Ozempic has been an absolute gamechanger.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Food or liquor
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

First off, contrats bengal!

Secondly, we have done a much better (but not perfect) job of cutting out drinking Mon-Wed. Just that adjustment has been a pretty big improvement. The last few Sundays have been football-related "fundays" and, man... I'm too old for that shit. Waste of space the next day.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:32 pm Food or liquor
Everything? Both? Just not hungry and don't crave anything. Still tastes the same (food and alcohol), but don't really want either very much anymore, any given day.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

My man speaks truth. They're recruiting in Baltimore and in three other us studies

https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT060 ... ide&rank=4
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Boom mofos - 187.2 - goal of getting into the 180s achieved. Gotta say, reaching that goal felt pretty goddamn great. Not sure why, but something about that was important to me for some reason. 51 pounds since late August now.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:14 am Boom mofos - 187.2 - goal of getting into the 180s achieved. Gotta say, reaching that goal felt pretty goddamn great. Not sure why, but something about that was important to me for some reason. 51 pounds since late August now.
You need to move to Buffalo so you can change your Swamp handle to buffbengal.

Well done!
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Damn. That's circa 1980 cruiserweight. Great job!
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's great man
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.