OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by Giff »

Good luck blundercrush and way to go TB!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Spent the last two weekends avoiding watching the Patriots by running races. Did a 10 miler up and down a mountain in Vermont --scenic fun race but I felt like my calf or Achilles was about to blow up near the top, which thankfully went away ,and that running fast down a mountain for a long time was messing up my foot, which I'm still feeling a little bit. Then yesterday I PR'ed a half marathon in perfect running weather (although the winner who beat me by 50 minutes complained that it was very cold). Thinking about doing another marathon in May, but I also need to do more cross training because I feel like I'm in good running shape but not good overall shape if that makes sense.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Damn, Ed! That's moving! Congratulations.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Great job!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Dang!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That's fantastic. Also, if I ran 13 miles in that particular time I would be salty if that only burned 1588 calories.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah that calorie counter is wayyyy off! Good job, Romero.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's tremendous.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Me: sprints up 10,000 feet.

Calorie counter: 2000 calories burned

Me: WTF
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

The calorie counter is bullshit. Always ignore it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:34 pm The calorie counter is bullshit. Always ignore it.
Jenny Craig in her rant against weight watcher.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Down 10 lbs or as I like to call it, the "stop eating like an asshole" bump. I have to give up my precious diet monsters.

edit: Damn Ed I get tired just looking at that circle.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good work, Blundercrush. Keep it up!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

211.4. Down another three plus pounds. 31 from my summer worst, 27 from late august. Still technically "obese" from the BMI charts, but...closer to making it back to "overweight" (need to get below 203 for that).That's the next goal.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

while i've taken the odd long dogwalk and hike over the last few years I hadn't actually run in ... 4? 5 years? so naturally i ran the local 8k Turkey Trot and in full hockey sweater/helmet/stick (because dressing up for it is a thing).

well, I made it....but have been walking like frankenstein since noon yesterday and have a monstrous blood blister on my foot.

WORTH IT
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Way to go, Max! That sounds awesome. The hotel we stayed at in Dallas was right at the finish line for their annual Turkey Trot and I got a kick out of some of the costumes.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m impressed Max. No way I’d be brave enough to do that.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice max
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

haha thanks guys :D you would be laughing your asses off watching me walk today and you'd be right to do so.

between miles 3 and 4 yesterday was a dark ~10+ minutes for me ha. soul-searching. ...well, really just oxygen-searching. the 4 fully geared firefighters blocking one of the streets downtown who started going nuts seeing me hobbling and screaming "YEAH VANCOUVER HOCKEY GUYYYY" and jumped out to high-five me were definitely the impetus to finish :D
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:29 pm haha thanks guys :D you would be laughing your asses off watching me walk today and you'd be right to do so.

between miles 3 and 4 yesterday was a dark ~10+ minutes for me ha. soul-searching. ...well, really just oxygen-searching. the 4 fully geared firefighters blocking one of the streets downtown who started going nuts seeing me hobbling and screaming "YEAH VANCOUVER HOCKEY GUYYYY" and jumped out to high-five me were definitely the impetus to finish :D

*edit: was wearing a Vancouver Millionaires jersey, hence the Vancouver comment
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ok, I went back and looked - the worst it got was a documented 249.5 in June of 2022 at my annual physical dealie (covid depression really did a number on me as I ballooned to 246 about a year into Covid and then my body was like, 'aight, if that's how you want to play it...) - the diagnosis of pre-diabetes slipping into diabetes arrived at the June of 2022 appointment.

A year later better numbers for cholesterol and BP but still was 238.2 in August of 2023 and AIC was still 7.3.

Now, in today's check (I am checking weekly) I am at 206.6. So down about 43 from my documented worst (in June of '22) and 31.6 since late August of this year.

In short, the Ozempic has made a huge fucking difference and I really do feel better physically. Walking about 20-25 miles a week for main part of my exercise routine (walking dogs morning and night and three times on weekends and have added a long hike now on Saturdays).

Next personal milestone is to get below 203 so I move into simple "overweight" category on BMI. Then below 200 is next goal. Then will see if I can comfortably get to about 180. A1C at interim check about a month ago was down to 6.3 ( I think I mentioned that a few pages back) and doc was ecstatic at that, so, progress there as well.

Sorry to be too personal, but I really don't have anyone else to tell about this and I was pretty pumped at the weight check this AM.
Last edited by tennbengal on Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's great news, TB.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

!! down 43 man tb that is an amazing feat.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Great work, TB!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Last time I lost 43 pounds I woke up in a trash can in Trafalgar square.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nice job bengal!

I had kind of ballooned up to 220 coming out of Covid (I really should be closer to 190).

I'm down to 205, give or take a bad/good week. Really want to get it down below 200 but I'd need to make some (more) changes in diet and exercise to do that.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hell yeah, TB. Looks like you've learned to ignore your "Hungry Heart" and now you're seeing "Better Days"!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Great job, TB. No apologies for posting good results! Or bad for that matter, posting personal stuff here as been more helpful to me than I can articulate, and always love hearing good news from the rest of you.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good on you, Bengal.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

You are going to be hitting the town at your prime weight. Watch out ladies of Baltimore.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jada Pinkett Smith Bengal.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That's some great stuff there TB, I especially love that sub 7 A1C. That's the number that really matters when you are a Type 2 diabetic and it shows that you are making real change. My worst was an A1C over over 12 and at last check, I was a 5.6.
I seem to be plateaued at 80-85 lbs. down. Not complaining at all, but I really want to get to 100 and I'm pissed my fat ass can't won't get up and exercise.

All of a sudden, over the last 6 weeks, I find myself waking up at 4:30 am and not being able to go back to sleep. I really should just get up and go downstairs and walk on the treadmill instead of scrolling on my phone until the 6 am alarm goes off. But fat guy habits are hard to break.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Lost almost 20 lbs. so far. Fell off the wagon for lunch today, but as it turns out (heavy /s here) 1) eating like a complete asshole is bad for you. 2) Sugar is in...a lot of things (lets not talk about salt either but that's a separate problem) 3) vegetables have fewer calories than say...french fries.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EGD on Tuesday - all good - no more signs of Barrett’s esophagus (had signs of it several years ago and this was the re-check). Even better my glucose was at 85 before the procedure- normal is apparently 70-120 so…fucking win for controlling the diabetes.

And, finally, just did my week or so check in on weight and hit 200.8 this AM. Officially just “overweight” now and below obese. Fuck off bmi chart.

Also, because my 38 inch jeans have been feeling baggy (they were actually hella tight didn’t really fit into them in the summer) stopped at an Old Navy to see if I am down to a 36 inch jean, and I was not. Actually, motherfucking 34 inch jeans. So I purchased two.

Next goals - below 200 and get to 185 and see how that feels.

38 pounds lost since late august - and 49 from my horrific 2022 summer high.

Best I’ve felt at Christmas/year’s end physically in decades.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

blundercrush wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:19 pm Lost almost 20 lbs. so far. Fell off the wagon for lunch today, but as it turns out (heavy /s here) 1) eating like a complete asshole is bad for you. 2) Sugar is in...a lot of things (lets not talk about salt either but that's a separate problem) 3) vegetables have fewer calories than say...french fries.
Don’t let a bad day derail you. Also, sometimes need to eat stuff like fries so you don’t feel denied…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's fucking badass, TB!!!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nice work!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

we got a peloton last week and ... I see why people get addicted
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:52 pm we got a peloton last week and ... I see why people get addicted
My firm has a relationship with Peloton and we have a discount program through them. Been tempted to look into it. Our Seattle office even has a dedicated Peloton room. I can't imagine working out in the middle of a law firm (it's an office in the middle of the hallway.), But at least it doesn't have glass walls like the rest of the offices.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

our bike crapped out so we needed a replacement. she has been wanting one for a few years -- basically since we bought this house -- so this was the time to do it with the black friday deal

I haven't tried any of the classes yet but will be doing that soon as I'm running out of scenic rides. I've enjoyed the 30 min rides through Oregon/Hawaii/London/etc that are good interval training. the app hooks up to my apple watch automatically and connects to the heart rate sensor, etc. it's still been great running weather here, but it'll be especially great when it gets cold and I don't want to go running in sub-freezing temps

the $44 per month for the all-access is a bit steep, but cheaper than what I was paying for just my gym membership before we built the home gym and it's shareable
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer