Why? The Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Why? The Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Why in soccer is the home team listed first and visitor second, but in all other sports the home team is listed 2nd? I would understand if this was just a Euro v. American thing, but if that was the case, why would American media follow the Euro approach for just soccer. As a result when you look at ESPN.com you get some inconsistency on who is the home team when sports are combined in a display.
The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Why? The Thread

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Why in soccer is the home team listed first and visitor second, but in all other sports the home team is listed 2nd? I would understand if this was just a Euro v. American thing, but if that was the case, why would American media follow the Euro approach for just soccer. As a result when you look at ESPN.com you get some inconsistency on who is the home team when sports are combined in a display.
Why change the way the EPL is listed for American consumption? The schedule and scoreboard are written that way, so why reverse it? Do the Euros do the same for all sports?

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Why in soccer is the home team listed first and visitor second, but in all other sports the home team is listed 2nd? I would understand if this was just a Euro v. American thing, but if that was the case, why would American media follow the Euro approach for just soccer. As a result when you look at ESPN.com you get some inconsistency on who is the home team when sports are combined in a display.
Why change the way the EPL is listed for American consumption? The schedule and scoreboard are written that way, so why reverse it? Do the Euros do the same for all sports?

But they do it for the MLS. The reason this popped in my head was because of how the DC United-Orlando game was listed next to the Orioles game and Caps game in my customized side bar of the new espn.com. And this is about presenting information to the audience. A u.s. audience would anticipate a u.s. display right? If this was a Euro thing I would have no problem with them switching the order of nba teams in the guardian.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: But they do it for the MLS. The reason this popped in my head was because of how the DC United-Orlando game was listed next to the Orioles game and Caps game in my customized side bar of the new espn.com. And this is about presenting information to the audience. A u.s. audience would anticipate a u.s. display right?
That is a better question. MLS started of trying to Americanize the game, and it didn't work. Maybe they swung all the way to keeping the Euro ways?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

American version is probably based on the baseball scoreboard, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.