The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by howard »

Charlie Musslewhite is still around, wow. First blues concert I ever attended, a long ass time ago. He's only 70yo though.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

At Boston mother fucking Calling. Neutral Milk Hotel and The National tonight, boys. Pretty excited about it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:At Boston mother fucking Calling. Neutral Milk Hotel and The National tonight, boys. Pretty excited about it.
NMH was here a month or so ago. Played a tiny place and of course sold out in about 15 seconds.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Don't swallow the Cap
I should live in Salt
Ada w/ Chicago horns sufjan
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Sea of Love
Hard to find
I'm Afraid of everyone
Squalor Victoria
I need my Girl
This is the Last Time
Available
Slow show
Pink rabbits
England
Graceless
Fake empire
November
Terrible love
Vanderlyle crybaby geeks
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So, that was amazing. If you follow me on twitter, you've read that the night started off rocky. Neutral Milk Hotel ended up being really good, but they're just not a band that's well suited for a festival. There were way too many Massholes just talking during the show. In Boston's defense though, I did hear stereotypical, Good Will Huntingesque accents discussing The National intelligently.

Ada w/ Chicago horns sufjan means that during the horns interlude at the end of Ada, they broke into the horns section from Chicago by Sufjan Stevens. That's when we realized that Sufjan was playing horns and singing backup. You could really hear his voice quite a bit later on during one of the songs when he was singing backup. Matt did his crowd walk during Terrible Love, not Mr. November. Squalor Victoria went up a bit in my National songs ranking when I realized that the beginning is stretched out live to give a spotlight to Bryan's drumming.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I will never understand why they repeatedly close the 1st encore w/ Terrible Love.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

They went right into Vanderlyle last night. Curfew, you know.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Delta Spirit tonight! Always put on a great show and this one is in a pretty small venue, where I will also see Chris Robinson Brotherhood next week.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote:They went right into Vanderlyle last night. Curfew, you know.
"Ok, everyone who isn't familiar with us run out really fast, we only have 4 minutes left."

I wonder if its because he drinks non-stop during shows and its just easier to run the same setlist with a few middle set changes every night.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Going to the Fillmore on Thursday to see Robert Earl Keen again. Then on the weekend, the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival comes again. I generally don't go because it is such a mob scene zoo (free concerts at Golden Gate Park - you do the math.) But, I'm tempted... Such an outstanding lineup, as usual. Some favorites include - Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams, Robert Earl Keen, Steve Earle, John Prine, Joe Ely, Reckless Kelly, Jeff Tweedy, Jason Isbell, Emmylou Harris, Social Distortion, etc. etc. etc. Checkitout: http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2014/schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sun Kil Moon could be interesting because Kozalik has really upped the dickhead factor recently (while still making good music).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Sun Kil Moon could be interesting because Kozalik has really upped the dickhead factor recently (while still making good music).
What's his story? He was quite the asshole about The War on Drugs a few weeks ago.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ryan Bingham/Old 97s were phenomenal. One of the best shows I've ever had the pleasure of attending.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote:
mister d wrote:Sun Kil Moon could be interesting because Kozalik has really upped the dickhead factor recently (while still making good music).
What's his story? He was quite the asshole about The War on Drugs a few weeks ago.
I don't know if its depression + dickhead or straight up dickhead. His apology to them was great too: "Sorry about that, when I talked shit about your sound it was because I'd never actually heard of you ..."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

They were amazing tonight. Musicianship. If they can imagine it, they can play it.

Thile is well-known as a virtuoso. And he was again tonight. Meyer was a revelation to me. He played the bass like a cello. Great intonation no matter what he was doing. And he was doing everything you can legally do to a bass using his hands and a bow.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:Going to the Fillmore on Thursday to see Robert Earl Keen again. Then on the weekend, the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival comes again. I generally don't go because it is such a mob scene zoo (free concerts at Golden Gate Park - you do the math.) But, I'm tempted... Such an outstanding lineup, as usual. Some favorites include - Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams, Robert Earl Keen, Steve Earle, John Prine, Joe Ely, Reckless Kelly, Jeff Tweedy, Jason Isbell, Emmylou Harris, Social Distortion, etc. etc. etc. Checkitout: http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2014/schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite a festival list. Your review?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Saw Spoon and Ha Ha Tonka last weekend. Both were outstanding.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Going to the Fillmore on Thursday to see Robert Earl Keen again. Then on the weekend, the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival comes again. I generally don't go because it is such a mob scene zoo (free concerts at Golden Gate Park - you do the math.) But, I'm tempted... Such an outstanding lineup, as usual. Some favorites include - Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams, Robert Earl Keen, Steve Earle, John Prine, Joe Ely, Reckless Kelly, Jeff Tweedy, Jason Isbell, Emmylou Harris, Social Distortion, etc. etc. etc. Checkitout: http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2014/schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite a festival list. Your review?
I didn't make it to the festival. Too many family obligations. But I did see REK the Thursday prior, and as always, he was a lot of fun. His band just kicks ass.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I suppose you can be sure that they'll have an equally impressive VC-fueled roster next year.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Saw the supposed second to last Allman Brothers Band show ever last night (got a ticket through a friend). As old (and frail) as Gregg looks, I think Jaimoe looks older. Gregg sat behind keyboards all night, but at least he made it through the entire show (he apparently played guitar at least once over the weekend, but also sat out the second set on Saturday). His voice was pretty good. To my non-super fan ear, the show was light on their biggest hits, and I would be interested to see what actual super fans thought. Highlight for me was probably Dreams into Whipping Post towards the end of the second set. The intro to the latter was pretty bad-ass. Haines and D. Trucks really are great together. They played for a little over three hours, including one intermission. One song encore, No One to Run With.

The guy in front of me kept taking pictures of the stage, and I think he cut off the old dude on the left behind the keyboards each time. Dumbass.

It was my first time at the Beacon Theatre, too. It was beautiful, and we had a great view, Loge level.

ETA: I don't think I can function on four hours of sleep anymore. Also, I think I miss being high, you guys.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I went to the Life is Beautiful Festival in Las Vegas last week and I was going to do a longer recap,but I'm still a little bit too beat to do that, but there were some definitely highlights.

Friday I saw Holy Ghost, Phantogram, Jenny Lewis, Neon Trees, Switchfoot and The Head and The Heart. Jenny Lewis and H&TH were definitely the highlights, but especially Jenny Lewis since she was born in Las Vegas and spent her first few years here. I guess it was the first time she had played here either solo or with Rilo Kiley, so she really brought it. Unfortunately she only had 45 minutes to play, but I was impressed. Was too beat after several hours in the heat to check out Kayne's headlining set but doesn't sound like I missed anything (that will be a trend as you'll see).

Saturday I saw Bear Hands, Asgeir, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Tycho, TV On The Radio, Lionel Richie, Matt & Kim and The Flaming Lips. This was definitely my favorite day. Bear Hands was awesome and Asgeir was a revelation. If you haven't check out his stuff, please do so ASAP. J Roddy and TVOTR I've seen before a couple times and they were both as excellent as always. Lionel Richie was awesome. Dude is 65 years old and he still is a consummate showman. I would probably pay to see him again. Matt & Kim -- I liked their albums OK, but had never seen live before and was blown away. They're fucking crazy. (Will share a story related to that later.) And the Flaming Lips are the Flaming Lips. Some of you will curse me, but I missed Outkast's likely second to last concert ever to see them. (I'm just not a huge Outkast fan.) I'd rather pretend to have taken some acid and wash in the Flaming Lips.

Sunday I was pretty much destroyed and didn't see much. I saw the Las Vegas Philharmonic Orchestra performing the Beatles with Cirque du Soleil Love performers, which was pretty badass, in the afternoon and then took a nap and watched some football at the hotel and then went back and gutted it out and saw Broken Bells and the Foo Fighters. Left their set about a half hour before it was done. I love the Foo Fighters and this isn't fair to Dave Grohl or them, but whenever I see them live I just get sad about what could have been with Nirvana. Considering how genius their three albums were and how good the Foo Fighters turned out, it's so easy to see a path that could have led to them being one of, if not the greatest rock band of all-time if Kurt had cornered his demons. Anyway, they really brought it though. Was a great show.

Unlike a lot of music festivals, this one is interesting because they also have a serious culinary and artistic component as well. They had dozens of art installations setup around downtown Las Vegas (where the festival was) and food setups from some of the biggest chefs in America. One of the highlights of my weekend was finally getting to try Mike Minor's Mexican/barbecue fusion food. Got a pulled pork burrito with ancho coleslaw, duck fat fries and habanero honey BBQ sauce. I ate two of those over the weekend and probably could have eaten five more.

One of the most interesting experiences was racing from Lionel Richie's show at one end of the festival grounds to the other to see Matt & Kim and ended up walking next to most of the guys from TV On The Radio (who themselves had just raced from the end of their set over to see Lionel). I told them I loved their set and all their new songs they played and Tunde thanked me and asked me where I was heading. "Over to see Matt & Kim." They said they were too, but the exact quote was. "We love those crazy motherfuckers. We actually share rehearsal space in Brooklyn. Those guys are nuts." And sure enough, they blew my mind.

Met actor Thomas Wilson (best known as Biff from the Back To The Future movies) eating some Thai food at a restaurant just outside the festival grounds. Nice guy. Big music fan. Still looks the same as he did 30 years ago.

It was a lot of fun, but I don't know if it was the post-surgical issue of being a little out of shape or getting too old or what, but it sapped me pretty bad. Will probably try to go again next year at closer to 100 percent and see if there's a difference.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(I guess that ended up pretty damn long as it stands.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:Charlie Musslewhite is still around, wow. First blues concert I ever attended, a long ass time ago. He's only 70yo though.
I saw him about 12 years ago with Dr. John and Robert Lockwood. Really good show.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That sounds awesome. I would have loved that festival. On a side note, I found out a few weeks ago that a friend of mine grew up with Jaleel from TVotR in Louisville. Wikipedia says that Jaleel doesn't tour with the band.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Saw Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell play the Ryman on sunday. Both men put on a great show. Isbell is a total pro.

Simpson's guitar player though? Holy hell. One of the best I've ever seen. Some Estonian guy who can make his tele sound like a pedal steel, a lap steel, a fiddle, whatever. He also played some of the fastest tightest bakersfield style solos I have ever heard. Just wow. Check out Sturgill if you get a chance.

Oh yeah, and Isbell played Outfit, Decoration Day, Goddamn Lonely Love, and Danko/Manuel in addition to his newer solo stuff. I was surprised to hear that many Truckers songs.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Weatherfrog wrote:Saw Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell play the Ryman on sunday. Both men put on a great show. Isbell is a total pro.

Simpson's guitar player though? Holy hell. One of the best I've ever seen. Some Estonian guy who can make his tele sound like a pedal steel, a lap steel, a fiddle, whatever. He also played some of the fastest tightest bakersfield style solos I have ever heard. Just wow. Check out Sturgill if you get a chance.

Oh yeah, and Isbell played Outfit, Decoration Day, Goddamn Lonely Love, and Danko/Manuel in addition to his newer solo stuff. I was surprised to hear that many Truckers songs.
He's always played his Truckers stuff. Those four are almost always in his sets.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

brian wrote:
Weatherfrog wrote:Saw Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell play the Ryman on sunday. Both men put on a great show. Isbell is a total pro.

He's always played his Truckers stuff. Those four are almost always in his sets.
I hadn't seen him play since he left the truckers, so I was surprised by that. Still, great show.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Weatherfrog wrote:
brian wrote:

I hadn't seen him play since he left the truckers, so I was surprised by that. Still, great show.
Oh yeah, he's awesome. No question about it. Super nice guy too if you ever get a chance to meet him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sturgill will be here on 11/16 and I'm pretty sure I'm going.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Had the amazing good fortune to see Stevie Wonder last night. He's touring a few cities, and playing his "Songs in the Key Of Life" album, with some other stuff mixed in.

To call the show "fantastic" doesn't go far enough....it was beyond great....it was GREATNESS.

I've been lucky to see some pretty stellar concerts, by some pretty big names, but seeing Stevie Wonder playing Sir Duke->I Wish? Chills....big time....

And then at the end, he did a kind of medley of other stuff....just little things like "mi cherie amour", "I just called to say I love you", "Master Blaster". He finished the show with a super powerful version of "Living for the City" (making some pointed comments about Ferguson and yesterday's non-indictment in New York) and then closed with a raucous "Superstitious"

Oh....and his "special guest star" who came out for a few songs? India.Arie....
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Really fucking bummed I didn't go see Ryan Adams last night, especially after being shut out of Sturgill since he actually sold out the show here. I just can't handle mid-week shows any more.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Friday was Eric Church... and holy shit it was incredible. Played for 2.5 hours and the only bad thing about it was prevalence of country bros in plaid shirts in attendance.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

NHM tix going on presale in 16 minutes. Saw Mangum alone about a year ago, and the whole band in Boston in September, and they've dubbed this tour as their last for the foreseeable future. Fingers crossed for good seats.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Neutral Hotel of Milk.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Third row, MFers.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Milk Fuckers
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's pretty awesome. Seems like the perfect sort of show to get the close seats for too.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Close enough to join the band for the encore.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A Facebook friend posted this today. Back in the day (40 years ago or so) High schools would book local bands for concerts. I saw a couple - bands only a Torontonian would remember - but missed this one.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."