The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by brian »

Karen O is wearing a “Fat Elvis” style jumpsuit and it’s part of her genius that I have literally no idea if it’s a Vegas nod or something she’d normally wear for a show.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nas just told me he loved me at a pool party.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

No way.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

To be fair, he said it to me and 2000 of my new best friends.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nas's bars from Phone Tap were his best 30 seconds. Method Man is jacked. ODB's kid, Young Dirty Bastard was just an ok replacement for Big Baby Jesus.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:44 pm Nas's bars from Phone Tap were his best 30 seconds. Method Man is jacked. ODB's kid, Young Dirty Bastard was just an ok replacement for Big Baby Jesus.
Are you having a stroke?
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Right? The guest verse on “Eye For an Eye”? The second verse of “If I Ruled the World”?? “Verbal Intercourse”??? Did this motherfucker miss out on the entirety of Illmatic???????
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:53 pm Right? The guest verse on “Eye For an Eye”? The second verse of “If I Ruled the World”?? “Verbal Intercourse”??? Did this motherfucker miss out on the entirety of Illmatic???????
IIRTW was pretty great, but that Phone Tap beat is untouchable.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:19 pm To be fair, he said it to me and 2000 of my new best friends.
But he was totally directing that at you.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:17 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:19 pm To be fair, he said it to me and 2000 of my new best friends.
But he was totally directing that at you.
I took it personally.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

OK, history time for you young 'uns, even though I am probably just writing this up for myself. Way back in the 1980s, there was a music genre for a time called cowpunk. The best known bands therein included Jason and the Scorchers, X, The Blasters, The Long Ryders, Rank and File, and my personal favorite, The Beat Farmers. I saw the Beat Farmers at least a dozen times in the 80s and early 90s, until they abruptly broke up because, in true rocknroll style, their legendary drummer, occasional singer, focal point and general wild man, Country Dick Montana died of a heart attack on stage, during a gig's encore in Whistler, BC Canada. They were always wild, crazy shows back in the day, mostly because of Dick.

Anyway, after 30 years of nothing, the remaining three guys got back together with a new drummer and are playing a few shows on the west coast (they are from San Diego). I went and saw them last night. I was curious to see how it would go, since they are all old now, and missing The Man. The guitarists were always great, and the vocals and songs tight (well, not counting the Country Dick songs), and they didn't disappoint last night as far as the musicianship. The vocals were a bit ragged, but it was a really fun show (but very different than the olden days). It was like a fun family reunion before the show, with the old fans wearing their rude t-shirts and reminiscing among each other over crazy old Beat Farmer shows. I chatted with a bunch of folks I didn't know and will probably never see again. I really enjoyed the entire evening.

This short clip from after they finished playing the David Letterman show gives an indication of how they behaved in the old days:

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That’s cool, sancarlos! Will check ‘em out.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

X opened for Squeeze at a concert here a couple of years ago. I had never heard of them before that. They did a great opening set.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Boygenius at MSG tonight and I'm watching the resell prices move in the wrong direction.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:45 am Boygenius at MSG tonight and I'm watching the resell prices move in the wrong direction.
Looking to sell or buy?

The Beths, Death Cab for Cute, and Postal Service show in ATX last weekend was great. The location of the venue was very cool (just behind the large tower at the Circuit of the Americas F1 (and other auto racing) track) was good. The seating was meh at best (way too flat and a deep pit area) that had our row T seats at least 100 feet from the stage. Modern amphitheaters in general are shit for sound quality and this one was no different. It was better when the sound was turned up for each successive band, but it would've been better indoors.

The Beths were fantastic as usual to open the show. They played all 3 title tracks, Knees Deep, Out of Sight, Not Running, and Silence is Golden. Decent setlist if you're only given enough time to play 7 songs.

Death Cab came out in all black and played Transatlanticism front to back. Ben had his normal frantic stage presence including a lot of moving around the stage. On a few of the songs two of the band members traded instruments in the middle of a song.

Postal Service followed dressed in all white and played Give Up from front to back. The band for Postal Service was mostly Ben, Jimmy Tamborello, Jenny Lewis, and one of the guys from Death Cab. Ben played drums on a few tracks, and a couple of the guys from DCFC came out for individual songs here and there.

Jenny Lewis is a badass goddess. Couldn't take my eyes off of her the whole set.
[+] spoiler
The band ends with their "cover" of Iron and Wine's cover of "Such Great Heights". It's meh, but ending with a cover of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" is fantastic.
I wouldn't call myself a superfan of either of Ben Gibbard's bands, but it was really great getting to see these two albums live.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:23 pm
[+] spoiler
The band ends with their "cover" of Iron and Wine's cover of "Such Great Heights". It's meh, but ending with a cover of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" is fantastic.
[+] spoiler
Yeah. Seems weird to say, but the original band had no chance at matching the cover of their own song. Its just too perfect in Beam's voice.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:29 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Yeah. Seems weird to say, but the original band had no chance at matching the cover of their own song. Its just too perfect in Beam's voice.
[+] spoiler
I'm on record as not being a Sam Bean fan, but this wasn't even really a cover of that cover. It sounded more like Ben playing a campfire acoustic version of his own song. 2/10 at best. It also greatly underutilized Lewis.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:21 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
I'm on record as not being a Sam Bean fan, but this wasn't even really a cover of that cover. It sounded more like Ben playing a campfire acoustic version of his own song. 2/10 at best. It also greatly underutilized Lewis.
[+] spoiler
How is any of that very spoiler-y?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:02 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
I know!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:04 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:02 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
I know!
[+] spoiler
Honestly I don't know either, esp since I'd already written about it a few weeks ago. But I respected Ched's decision and followed suit.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Didn't want to give away the encore songs if someone wanted to go in fresh. Certainly can't be counted on to remember whether anyone knew they were doing the same songs every night for the encore too. I don't have Rass-level recall!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Who does?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:00 am First set of tix go on sale this week for U2 residency at MSG Sphere in Vegas.

Most expensive ($2.4 billion) and technologically advanced (entire interior and exterior is comprised of an LED light sphere) music venue ever built should be a pretty good canvas for U2’s catalog.
The first videos and reviews seems that it's an incredible experience and I should have went. Still very strange without Mullen, Jr and their new song is terrible.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Seth Avetts looks like Tyrion Lannister.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Peter Gabriel last night. Fantastic show!
  • His band is amazing
  • The songs from his new album "I/O" are really good!
  • The acoustics at the new Climate Pledge Arena are great.
  • Whoever runs the video stuff for him does a great job...the images on video screen were crystal clear
  • He made a point about talking about the artist who did the stuff that accompanied each song
  • Like seeing the Stones play "Satisfaction", or Paul McCarthy play "Hey Jude", seeing Gabriel playing some of his classics was incredible.
    "SledgeHammer" went HARD, as did "Digging In The Dirt"
  • His voice is still in good shape, although he struggled in a few spots on "Solsbury Hill"
Pretty much echo all of these sentiments, from a few weeks ago on The Defector: Shut Up And Play The New Stuff
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I need to do a Peter Gabriel deep dive. The aforementioned DMB cover of Sledgehammer always slaps.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

16 Golden Greats, Us, and So are all fantastic. 16GG has a lot of So and the biggest of his earlier tracks.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:50 pm 16 Golden Greats, Us, and So are all fantastic. 16GG has a lot of So and the biggest of his earlier tracks.
"Passion"...the soundtrack he did for "Last Temptation of Christ"...is fantastic.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:07 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:50 pm 16 Golden Greats, Us, and So are all fantastic. 16GG has a lot of So and the biggest of his earlier tracks.
"Passion"...the soundtrack he did for "Last Temptation of Christ"...is fantastic.
Yes it is.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:55 pm Saw Peter Gabriel last night. Fantastic show!
  • His band is amazing
  • Whoever runs the video stuff for him does a great job...the images on video screen were crystal clear
  • He made a point about talking about the artist who did the stuff that accompanied each song
  • Like seeing the Stones play "Satisfaction", or Paul McCarthy play "Hey Jude", seeing Gabriel playing some of his classics was incredible.
  • His voice is still in good shape, although he struggled in a few spots on "Solsbury Hill"
Pretty much echo all of these sentiments, from a few weeks ago on The Defector: Shut Up And Play The New Stuff
Did you ever get a chance to see his stuff in the late 70s, when he was in the Rael (Imperial Aerosol Kid) persona?

I've always felt I was born too late (first concert 1983), but it's not that I could go see Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin at their artistic heights. It's so that I could see Peter Gabriel's tours in the late 70s. Well that and early 70s Roxy Music.
Noli Timere Messorem
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I’m going to see him on Monday here in Denver…definitely looking forward to it.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I've never wanted to be a part of something that I do not want to be a part of more than this goddamn Sphere.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:07 am I've never wanted to be a part of something that I do not want to be a part of more than this goddamn Sphere.
It’s pretty amazing.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:55 pm Saw Peter Gabriel last night. Fantastic show!
  • His band is amazing
Denver performance was last night...amazing show especially considering his age and the altitude. Visually one of the best shows I've seen when it comes to lighting & video work. He did two new songs between Big Time and Live and Let Live that he said had never been performed before (I don't recall the names).
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:07 am I've never wanted to be a part of something that I do not want to be a part of more than this goddamn Sphere.
What's the funniest possible concert we could all have to see there?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:01 am
  • His band is amazing
Denver performance was last night...amazing show especially considering his age and the altitude. Visually one of the best shows I've seen when it comes to lighting & video work. He did two new songs between Big Time and Live and Let Live that he said had never been performed before (I don't recall the names).
Weird that Setlist.fm doesn't show it. Guess whoever posted the setlist didn't catch the song titles. I've got serious FOMO on seeing him on this tour.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:50 am
John Tesh playing Roundball Rock while the outside turns into a basketball?
What am I, 12?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:26 am
mister d wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:50 am
John Tesh playing Roundball Rock while the outside turns into a basketball?
Hells yeah!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:57 am
GoodKarma wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:01 am
  • His band is amazing
Weird that Setlist.fm doesn't show it. Guess whoever posted the setlist didn't catch the song titles. I've got serious FOMO on seeing him on this tour.
It’s been updated now…songs were So Much and What Lies Ahead.
What am I, 12?