Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Just got tickets to see Bob Dylan, Wilco and My Morning Jacket on their Americana tour this summer at the local amphitheater. God, I hope Dylan is better than he was when I saw him at B.U. Just ask Sybian how bad it was.
I have a friend who is leaning hard on me to join him at that show when they come to Shoreline Amphitheater out here. But, as you noted, I've heard from others that Dylan is just mailing it in for a check at this point, so I may pass...
It's worth it for the rest. Plus, I think Ryan Bingham will be at the one out there. Hate that they're coming nowhere close to Texas.
I'd pay the $100 just to see Wilco. They're amazing live. I figure Dylan will play last, if he sucks, I get to beat the traffic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
govmentchedda wrote: It's worth it for the rest. Plus, I think Ryan Bingham will be at the one out there. Hate that they're coming nowhere close to Texas.
I'd pay the $100 just to see Wilco. They're amazing live. I figure Dylan will play last, if he sucks, I get to beat the traffic.
I might do it. I've seen Wilco several times in the past, but those were all earlier incarnations of the band, when they sounded different. I think the only original Wilco guys left in the band are Jeff Tweedy and John Stirrat. It'd be good to catch up again.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Gonna go get my Norwegian metal on tonight. Kvelertak.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Frightened Rabbit last night. Those guys are just really really good. It was interesting....I listened to the song "Backward Walk" about a zillion times when I was going through the shit with The One Who Broke My Heart....Twice, and it just really spoke to me. Can't really listen to it anymore. Anyways, when they played it last night, I was pretty psyched because they punched up the arrangement and made it more of an up-tempo/"fuck you" kind of song.

The funny thing that happened last though....I was standing at the bar before FR came on, and this couple came up to me and the guy started to ask me to take a picture of them....and I swear that his Scottish accent was so freaking thick that it was like he was from another planet. I knew he was speaking English, but I was only catching about every 5th word or so. Nice folks...ended up hanging out with them for a while, but I never really understood anything he said.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I should really go see this this weekend, but I'm kinda busy so I won't but he's a motherfucking genius and I'd love to see him before he's gone pretty soon.

I will defend to the death the fact that Jerry Lewis is probably the most underrated entertainer of all-time. And that's before you factor in the fact that he's probably one of the great humanitarians of the 20th century.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I agree. If you include his middle name. Lee.

(Just fucking with you, b. You soon to be jeopardy master.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote:I should really go see this this weekend, but I'm kinda busy so I won't but he's a motherfucking genius and I'd love to see him before he's gone pretty soon.

I will defend to the death the fact that Jerry Lewis is probably the most underrated entertainer of all-time. And that's before you factor in the fact that he's probably one of the great humanitarians of the 20th century.

Today I learned: Brian is from France.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

AussieDave wrote:Saw Frightened Rabbit last night. Those guys are just really really good. It was interesting....I listened to the song "Backward Walk" about a zillion times when I was going through the shit with The One Who Broke My Heart....Twice, and it just really spoke to me. Can't really listen to it anymore. Anyways, when they played it last night, I was pretty psyched because they punched up the arrangement and made it more of an up-tempo/"fuck you" kind of song.

The funny thing that happened last though....I was standing at the bar before FR came on, and this couple came up to me and the guy started to ask me to take a picture of them....and I swear that his Scottish accent was so freaking thick that it was like he was from another planet. I knew he was speaking English, but I was only catching about every 5th word or so. Nice folks...ended up hanging out with them for a while, but I never really understood anything he said.
The Woodpile is an awesome awesome awesome song.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Denis wrote:The Woodpile is an awesome awesome awesome song.
CUIDADO Piso Mojado

Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Saw The Black Angels last Friday in Boulder, pretty damn good.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Live webcast of a Robert Earl Keen show tonight. 6 Central time.

http://www.robertearlkeen.com/theonline ... rends.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:Live webcast of a Robert Earl Keen show tonight. 6 Central time.

http://www.robertearlkeen.com/theonline ... rends.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would love to watch, but I'll be at my 27th DMB show! I'm happy they have finally come to their senses and stopped scheduling Houston in August.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Live webcast of a Robert Earl Keen show tonight. 6 Central time.

Would love to watch, but I'll be at my 27th DMB show! I'm happy they have finally come to their senses and stopped scheduling Houston in August.
Ha. I was just coming to this thread to post this!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Hangout Music Festival is live streaming today too. Ryan Bingham later, AB. Can't find a link I can access at work.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote:Hangout Music Festival is live streaming today too. Ryan Bingham later, AB. Can't find a link I can access at work.

Hey Giff, an old classmate of mine plays in two different bands in the Houston bar scene. Ever heard of Zwee or Sky Blue 72?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote:
Giff wrote:Hangout Music Festival is live streaming today too. Ryan Bingham later, AB. Can't find a link I can access at work.

Hey Giff, an old classmate of mine plays in two different bands in the Houston bar scene. Ever heard of Zwee or Sky Blue 72?
Yes! At least Sky Blue 72.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote:
bfj wrote:

Yes! At least Sky Blue 72.
Cool. The chick drummer (Jessica) and the short bald bass guitarist (Frank) are brother and sister. Both grew up in B-more and we all went to the same school.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Cool. The chick drummer (Jessica) and the short bald bass guitarist (Frank) are brother and sister. Both grew up in B-more and we all went to the same school.
No shit! IIRC, she's pretty hot.
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Party like it's early 90s all over again !! Last week I saw the Breeders, tonight, just back from My Bloody Valentine (with apparently both eardrums fucked). Good sets but let's just say that total minutes of interaction with the audience don't go over 5 minutes for both bands combined. And luckily today was Saint Kevin's day in France, otherwise MBV would probably have set a new record for fewest words spoken.

Now I'm wondering if Snap! are also doing a reunion tour...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Saw the Stranglers the other night - hadn't seen them since 1984, and am happy to report that I have aged better than they have. They were always one of the ugliest bands around, and thirty years does not do nice things to ugly guys. Great show however.

Crowd full of 50-60 year old former punks - at one point a group of old men tried to do some slam dancing. The effort lasted for less than a minute, you could practically hear the muscles straining and the hamstrings pulling.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That French Guy wrote:Party like it's early 90s all over again !! Last week I saw the Breeders, tonight, just back from My Bloody Valentine (with apparently both eardrums fucked). Good sets but let's just say that total minutes of interaction with the audience don't go over 5 minutes for both bands combined. And luckily today was Saint Kevin's day in France, otherwise MBV would probably have set a new record for fewest words spoken.

Now I'm wondering if Snap! are also doing a reunion tour...
MBV is tied with Sugar for the loudest show I've ever attended.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw Lord Huron last night (and only $5 to boot) and they were really, really good live. That's an album that I still keep listening to even though it's been out for awhile.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Have you guys seen the lineup for Riot Fest in Chicago in September? Tons of bands that were huge (to me anyway) 15 years ago.

The Replacements
Pixies
Violent Femmes
Guided by Voices
Dinosaur Jr.
Pennywise
Quicksand
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Had my choice of free tickets last night for two concerts featuring bands with bearded, eccentric frontmen and pretty sure I chose the right one (Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes). . Great, great show. (The other band was The Flaming Lips).

Also, this could go in the brushes thread, but I was standing next to Sarah Hyland (the oldest Dunphy daughter on Modern Family) for about half the show.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Got free tickets to Rush here in Denver tonight. Very nice show, though I really wish that when they say they are gonna play things from way back it means the 70s and not the 80s. Only song they played tonight from the 70s was excerpts of 2112. Everything else was sythn -city 80s or the new album.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah!

Though I'm worried that having to drive myself home might on some level affect my ability to properly enjoy this experience, which might in turn suggest that attending would have been better left in the conceptual stage.

Nah.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks rush!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Playlist and various notations:

Orleans played the part of house band in addition to performing their own set. Highlights were Baby Come Back by Player and Love Is Alive by Gary Wright. It's perhaps no coincidence that those three guys still look the part of a rock star up on stage rather than just middle aged (to be generous) guys with guitars. Fun times.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

From the strange locations
1.) Last night a buddy of mine saw Hall and Oates at Marymoor park in Redmond (this is basically a rec field center--lots of fields that has a velodrome, dog park, place for rc airplanes, and dog park)
2.) Rusted Root was at Secrets in Ocean City, MD...no cover
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Seacrets

You really can't win at this spelling thing.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote:From the strange locations
1.) Last night a buddy of mine saw Hall and Oates at Marymoor park in Redmond (this is basically a rec field center--lots of fields that has a velodrome, dog park, place for rc airplanes, and dog park)
I saw the Decemberists there a couple of summers ago, in a driving rain storm. Good show, but Colin Meloy's witty banter really loses something when its about 55 degrees and you are soaking wet. Shut the fuck up and play your damn songs.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This past weekend was Bumbershoot....the annual 3 day arts and music festival here in Seattle. Was only able to go for one day, yesterday. Saw the following:

-Hot Bodies in Motion. Local band, doing the "Blue Eyed Soul" thing. Pretty good.
-BelleMaine. Band out of Anacortes, WA. Produced by one of the guys from Death Cab For Cutie. Pretty good. Husband and wife singers, with good vocals.
-Alt J. Fantastic. Really cool sound...heard it called "folk-tronica".
-MGMT. Meh....didn't do anything for me. After 4 songs my GF and I left to get some food.

Then we took a break from the music and saw comedian Doug Benson doing "Doug Loves Movies", with guests Scott Aukermann, Patton Oswalt, Horatio Saenz, and another comedian from Portland. Pretty damn funny.

-Sol. Local Hip Hop artist. Pretty good.
-Superchunk. Fantastic. Super upbeat and high energy. Loved it.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

This year's the first time I've gotten a wristband for Musicfest NW, so I'll be hitting a bunch of shows, culminating with Neko Case on Sunday.

Last night I saw Deerhunter. They had a solid bunch of 3-4 songs in their finale that I dug, but other than that, it ranged from generic indie-rock to pretentious dreck. Their encore consisted of 15+ minutes of noise while their weirdo lead singer tweaked out on stage. Half the place, including myself, left during it. Hope they got the hint.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote:This year's the first time I've gotten a wristband for Musicfest NW, so I'll be hitting a bunch of shows, culminating with Neko Case on Sunday.

Last night I saw Deerhunter. They had a solid bunch of 3-4 songs in their finale that I dug, but other than that, it ranged from generic indie-rock to pretentious dreck. Their encore consisted of 15+ minutes of noise while their weirdo lead singer tweaked out on stage. Half the place, including myself, left during it. Hope they got the hint.
My favorite artist of all time is playing in Neko Case's touring band these days. Give Eric Bachmann a hug for me, won't you?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

govmentchedda wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:This year's the first time I've gotten a wristband for Musicfest NW, so I'll be hitting a bunch of shows, culminating with Neko Case on Sunday.

My favorite artist of all time is playing in Neko Case's touring band these days. Give Eric Bachmann a hug for me, won't you?
Archers of Loaf guy, eh? Had no idea. Thanks for the heads up.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yep. Apparently he just joined her touring band. That guy is my fucking hero.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just bought tickets to see Slayer so I can scratch a live Slayer concert off my bucket list. Getting stabbed at a Slayer concert is a pretty bad-ass way to go out all things considered.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

First night of Mumford and Sons' Gentlemen of the Road festival in St. Augustine is over. Willy Mason, Thao and the get down stay down, the Walkmen, and Edward Sharpe and the magnetic zeros. I think I liked the Walkmen best. All bands were very good. Cannot wait to see Justin Townes Earle and Mumford and Sons tomorrow night.