The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by Giff »

Most likely making a road trip to Atlanta in May for the Shaky Knees festival. About a perfect lineup from my perspsective.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Violent Femmes
I can't believe that they are still playing. 34 years since Violent Femmes was released. They've probably got 10 other albums and no one knows anything but maybe 3 songs off the first one.
Only 31 years since the release, but what's the difference? I saw them in 1999 in some festival in DC on the 4th of July. I wonder if they still have it, 15 years on?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Violent Femmes
I can't believe that they are still playing. 34 years since Violent Femmes was released. They've probably got 10 other albums and no one knows anything but maybe 3 songs off the first one.
Only 31 years since the release, but what's the difference? I saw them in 1999 in some festival in DC on the 4th of July. I wonder if they still have it, 15 years on?
Going from memory, thought it came out in 1979/1980. Last time I saw them was in 1991. They did have it then, was quite pleased they only samg one overly Christian song.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Going to see El Ten Eleven tonight. Pretty excited as their music (electronic post-rock) translates really well live. One of those bands where you can get "lost" in your head for an hour and a half.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:Going to see El Ten Eleven tonight. Pretty excited as their music (electronic post-rock) translates really well live. One of those bands where you can get "lost" in your head for an hour and a half.
I saw them a few years back. They put on a good show.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings a couple of nights ago. Absolutely fantastic show. Can't recommend them highly enough. Good, old-school funk/soul. Think early Tina Turner/Aretha, with some James Brown mixed in. Fun fun fun.

And....she needs to become the "Survive Cancer" poster child. Just finished up her chemo this past NYE for stage 2 pancreatic cancer. And she looked and sounded great. Lots of energy on stage, and her voice sounded great.

If she's coming to your town, you owe it to yourself to see her. Bring your best dance moves...
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I listened to three of their CDs last night. They really know their soul and funk. But I don't think there was a single cover on those discs. That's unusual in my experience for bands working that turf. They seem to be committed to making it on their own strength as musicians who happen to be playing in the soul and funk sandbox, rather than appealing to people who are nostalgic for the Great Music Of Their Youth by doing close covers of the soul/funk canon.

I love the old tunes, but don't need to hear inferior knock offs in the same style. Change the style and I'm all over it. For example, jazz organist Patricia Barber's take on some 60s pop tunes.

So too with pianist Brad Mehldau. and pianist John Medeski and just about whomever he plays with. I recently heard him play with a jazz group from Boston led by drummer Matt Wilson. They did a song called "If I Were A Boy." What a great melody! I couldn't place it. A broadway classic I had somehow missed? My daughter told me this was actually a Beyonce song from a few years ago. She showed me the Youtube clip. Ghastly. But the way the jazz guys approached it made it a whole different song to my ears.

I'd say Sharon Jones et al. are like soul and funk bands from the 60s and 70s that never made it big. Kind of like listening to a Carla Thomas album. Good, not great. But I like what they're trying to do.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Coachella was again a bad ass experience. Saturday was just far too stacked. There were legitimately three stages you could have spent all day at and got your money's worth.

Between the food (Kogi food truck!), the atmosphere, the lineup, and seeing my friends I haven't seen in 4 years, I was elated. Completely worth the money and totally worth the value. It's doubtful I'll be going again next year because April is right in the middle of me outprocessing to my next assignment, but we are all probably going to Bonaroo in June that year.

And here's a pro-tip: If you ever go to Coachella and live within driving distance, rent a mini van. Not only is it worth it for car camping purposes, but at the very end when the polo grounds look like District 9, people leave lots of stuff that is brand new just sitting there to be thrown out. My cousin and I acquired multiple brand new tents, tarps, sleeping mats, EZ UPs, coolers, folding chairs, a table, sleeping bags, and even a damn patio table umbrella. It is approximately a $500-$600 haul. And that was just stuff within walking distance of our camping area. Who knows what else we could have snagged elsewhere.

Another pro-tip: make friends with a local. They get free VIP passes and a "resident" wristband to allow them all over the backstage area to meet celebs and acts. According to this dude my cousin and his gf met Sunday night, they put in requests for VIP passes and get whatever they want. Even though I say that it's doubtful that I go again next year, if I can get free VIP passes, I'll fly in for a weekend just because.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DC47 wrote:I listened to three of their CDs last night. They really know their soul and funk. But I don't think there was a single cover on those discs. That's unusual in my experience for bands working that turf. They seem to be committed to making it on their own strength as musicians who happen to be playing in the soul and funk sandbox, rather than appealing to people who are nostalgic for the Great Music Of Their Youth by doing close covers of the soul/funk canon.
They (Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings) did play a old classic when I saw them live...I want to say it was a Diana Ross & The Supremes number, but I can't remember for certain.

And the first song I ever heard by them (played on KEXP years ago) was a killer cover version of Janet Jackson's "What have you done for me lately". Its on their first album and its great...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I believe that the Dap Kings only play through / record on analog equipment as well.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: They (Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings) did play a old classic when I saw them live...I want to say it was a Diana Ross & The Supremes number, but I can't remember for certain.
I was wrong...it was a cover of "Heard it through the grapevine"...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Aaron Lewis is awesome. Mid-song he eviscerates some dudes groping a teenage girl...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My parents were kept awake last night by OutKast's set at the Firefly music festival. They're not fans.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw a guy named Allen Stone a week or so ago. Young (27)....kind of a funkster, blue eyed soul, hippie. Sounded a lot like a young Stevie Wonder. Well, as much as a white kid from a small town north of Spokane can sound like Stevie Wonder!

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Saw The National's first show of three last week at Prospect Park. Crowd ranged from apathetic to "why did you pay $50 to talk here when you could have just gone to a bar". Setlist was solid but Wednesday's was a knockout.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Saw The National's first show of three last week at Prospect Park. Crowd ranged from apathetic to "why did you pay $50 to talk here when you could have just gone to a bar". Setlist was solid but Wednesday's was a knockout.
Can't wait to see them in September. Both my wife and I comment that it feels like we were intoxicated the last time we saw them (we were not). Our memory of the night is a blur.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was not this time either which I think made the talkers all the more annoying to me.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:
mister d wrote:Saw The National's first show of three last week at Prospect Park. Crowd ranged from apathetic to "why did you pay $50 to talk here when you could have just gone to a bar". Setlist was solid but Wednesday's was a knockout.
Can't wait to see them in September. Both my wife and I comment that it feels like we were intoxicated the last time we saw them (we were not). Our memory of the night is a blur.
Maybe it's because all of the songs sound the same.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
Maybe it's because all of the songs sound the same.
You shut your bitch mouth!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Got free tickets to see Spoon tonight, but more excited to see our outpost of Brooklyn Bowl which just opened a couple months ago. It's supposed to be awesome.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:Got free tickets to see Spoon tonight, but more excited to see our outpost of Brooklyn Bowl which just opened a couple months ago. It's supposed to be awesome.
Jealous on both accounts. CHVRCHES are there when we're going to be in town, but hoping for someone else to be announced.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
brian wrote:Got free tickets to see Spoon tonight, but more excited to see our outpost of Brooklyn Bowl which just opened a couple months ago. It's supposed to be awesome.
Jealous on both accounts. CHVRCHES are there when we're going to be in town, but hoping for someone else to be announced.
I saw that -- they just announced that show a week or two ago. They'd be OK to see. With shows like that, I usually just try to wait and see if I can get free tix though. I'd guess CHVRCHES would be 50/50. If I can and you're interested in going, I'll give 'em to you and your wife.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Very cool. Oiler and I are headed out to Vegas for a bachelor party on Labor Day weekend, and the Avett Bros are there for three nights. I'm pretty sure we're going to one of those nights. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the venue.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Very excited heading to Red Rocks for the first time this year to see me some Panic.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:
Very cool. Oiler and I are headed out to Vegas for a bachelor party on Labor Day weekend, and the Avett Bros are there for three nights. I'm pretty sure we're going to one of those nights. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the venue.
For sure. I've heard nothing but awesome things -- great food, sightlines, craft beer selection, etc. -- so my expectations are high.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Jurassic 5 a couple of nights ago. Holy Shit....seriously...in the conversation for best show ever. Absolutely amazing...such energy and flow and interplay between the 4 MC's. Just absolutely electric.

Next week....the Hold Steady!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Nickel Creek tonight. Hoping to hear my favorite song from the past decade or so.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Saw Jurassic 5 a couple of nights ago. Holy Shit....seriously...in the conversation for best show ever. Absolutely amazing...such energy and flow and interplay between the 4 MC's. Just absolutely electric.

Next week....the Hold Steady!
One of my co-workers is going to be at that show (she lives in Seattle). If you hear some loud annoying chick talking in a Valley Girl type accent punch her and say that's from Brian.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I should probably just pm this to Giff, but anyway Yahoo is streaming a DMB concert on July 15th. This tour, they've been doing an acoustic set follow by their usual set.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Saw Seun Kuti and Africa 80 last night and it was one of the best shows that I have ever seen.

The tightest, funkiest band imaginable.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EdRomero wrote:I should probably just pm this to Giff, but anyway Yahoo is streaming a DMB concert on July 15th. This tour, they've been doing an acoustic set follow by their usual set.
Yep, looking forward to it. I hope this is how they do all tours going forward.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Beck last night at Ryman. It was amazing. That guy puts on a show.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Parquet Courts. Really good....certainly have that Strokes/Lou Reed NYC vibe to them, even though they grew up in Denton, Tx.

The GF wasn't as in to them though. Was just a bit too "edgy/punky" for her tastes.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Lucero is doing a special "tour" in November in only four cities for three nights each where they're going to play a 3 1/2 hour set. A one hour acoustic set followed by their "usual" 2.5 hour set. Got tickets for one of the LA shows, which is the day after I'll be in Phoenix for a Lions/Cardinals game. Should be an awesome weekend. (Other cities are NYC, Boston and San Francisco).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:Lucero is doing a special "tour" in November in only four cities for three nights each where they're going to play a 3 1/2 hour set. A one hour acoustic set followed by their "usual" 2.5 hour set. Got tickets for one of the LA shows, which is the day after I'll be in Phoenix for a Lions/Cardinals game. Should be an awesome weekend. (Other cities are NYC, Boston and San Francisco).
Jealous!

Spoon is playing an aftershow this year at ACL, so I'm going to get that instead of actually going to the festival this year. In the next two months, I have the following:

Delta Spirit
Chris Robinson Brotherhood
Blitzen Trapper
Tom Petty (hopefully)
Ryan Bingham/Old 97s
Ha Ha Tonka
Spoon (hopefully)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Interpol tonight at the Cosmo pool. Should be unusually nice weather for August too. About 80 at showtime.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Anyone seen Blue Sky Black Death or Bonobo live? Both are coming (BSBD this Sat.), and although I can dig on downtempo, not sure I want to stand around for entire shows.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Built to Spill at our newly renovated downtown music venue tonight. Should be quite the scene. Anything you guys want to say to Nic Cage, let me know in the next few hours.
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

Not so much a 'live' music recommendation but I had to name drop The Griswold's somewhere. Look up their album "Be Impressive" on Spotify or something and let it run. At least the first eight songs are really fantastic. They have a sort of MGMT sound but a lot less canned. Singer sounds (lyrically) like the guy from Scissor Sisters.

Anyway, hope you like it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Went to Bumbershoot, the local 3 day music festival, yesterday. Here's who we saw:

We are Scientists -- generic alt-rock
Sandrider --local metal group. Pretty good, but we only lasted about 3 songs
Charlie Musselwhite -- blues harmonica legend.
Kishi Bashi -- crazy Japanese pop...with lots of vocal looping, violin playing, and a guy beat boxing on the banjo. Nutty, but good.
Craft Spells -- meh
Lucious Jackson -- Good...great to see them back out and performing
Replacements -- Awesome. So good to see them...well Tommy and Paul...back together. Really fun.
Pickwick -- very good
Dismemberment Plan -- Awesome. Would love to see them again sometime
Bootsy Collins -- So much fun.
Los Lobos -- caught their last two songs...both covers..."Bertha" (Grateful Dead) and "Cinnamon Girl"

So 11 bands...just 2 short of my all time record.