The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by GoodKarma »

Went to go see yacht rock band Yachtly Crew last night at a small theatre of about 500-600 people. Think what you will of the genre but it was a fun show to stand and sing along. Would recommend.

In a smart marketing move there was another band called Yachty Got Back standing outside the theatre as you walked out handing out flyers for their upcoming show in December.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Saw that tweet the other day and almost put it in the "things that make you feel old" thread.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I needed a "mother of god" instead of "good god"
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Lady Gaga got on stage with U2 at the Sphere for I still Haven't Found and All I Need is You transitioning to Shallow. She should have sang I'm on The Edge.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watching the Rock and Roll HoF event tonight.
1. Man a ton of folks died this year.
2. You can play the Weight with a u combination of folks to make an interesting tribute.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’m down in FL and saw Zac Brown Band at the iThink amphitheater in West Palm last night. Great show!

Last edited by bfj on Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:57 pm I’m down in FL and saw Zac Brown Band at the iThink amphitheater in West Palm last night. Great show!
Well was it an amphitheater or not??

(Toes gets heavy play when we’re at the beach)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yup we enjoy us some Zac Brown on occasion.

I have four shows planned from 11/15-30. Vandoliers twice, American Aquarium, and Hiss Golden Messenger/Adeem the Artist.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:59 am I have four shows planned from 11/15-30. Vandoliers twice, American Aquarium, and Hiss Golden Messenger/Adeem the Artist.
Those all sound great.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:40 am
Giff wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:59 am I have four shows planned from 11/15-30. Vandoliers twice, American Aquarium, and Hiss Golden Messenger/Adeem the Artist.
Those all sound great.
Two of those are back to back nights with one in Austin, then a day off before the Louisiana trip. I’m going to be pooped.

One of the Vandoliers show is their annual Friendsgiving show in Dallas with Joshua Ray Walker. Taking the girls again but they won’t know until we get to the hotel and tell them to change into their Vandoliers shirts.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

They’ll be very excited!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Well we'll know at 5:00CT today if my first trip to Canada ever will be to see Taylor Swift next December in Vancouver.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

And we're going to Vancouver.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Awesome! That should be amazing.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Family Trip to Canada (Giff’s Version)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Say hi to Sara Civian for me.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

She’s a good follow on Twitter, but I gather she’s no longer the Hurricane’s beat writer.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:50 pm She’s a good follow on Twitter, but I gather she’s no longer the Hurricane’s beat writer.
Yep. Just started with EP Rinkside, where Ryan Lambert and Dimitri Filipovic are too.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just saw Canadian darlings, The Beaches in a tiny ass room in Copenhagen. Max capacity is 200, and we were crammed in there. So much damn fun and got to enjoy with my two oldest boys.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Looking forward to a jaunt over to Austin later today to see Adeem the Artist! Their record may top my list this year.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Not a concert but I went to go see Geddy Lee on his book tour yesterday. He's been having surprise guest hosts at each stop...it was Matt Stone last night. I was figuring it would be him but Jason Segel has been photographed at several spots around Denver last weekend so I thought maybe he was doing it.

I found interesting...even knowing a lot about the history of Rush he still told some stories and snippets of things I didn't know. He seemed pretty open and honest about the end of the band, Neil Peart's death, and the possibility of him and Alex Liefson making more music. He read a few stories from the book and did a pre-submitted Q&A. All in all it was an entertaining 2.5 hours...I enjoy story telling and listening to people talk shop so him with Matt Stone was a good combo.
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:42 pm Not a concert but I went to go see Geddy Lee on his book tour yesterday. He's been having surprise guest hosts at each stop...it was Matt Stone last night. I was figuring it would be him but Jason Segel has been photographed at several spots around Denver last weekend so I thought maybe he was doing it.

I found interesting...even knowing a lot about the history of Rush he still told some stories and snippets of things I didn't know. He seemed pretty open and honest about the end of the band, Neil Peart's death, and the possibility of him and Alex Liefson making more music. He read a few stories from the book and did a pre-submitted Q&A. All in all it was an entertaining 2.5 hours...I enjoy story telling and listening to people talk shop so him with Matt Stone was a good combo.
That’s great. I have the book on hold awaiting my pickup at the library.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

fantastic. I've been getting shamed by my fam for not having gone to see him ... the tix were a little out of my range but just this week i checked for next Thursday's Toronto "show" at Massey Hall and I could get one for $50. Not sure i want to make the there/back drive solo on a weekday but damn you for making this a more-difficult decision :P
GoodKarma wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:42 pm Not a concert but I went to go see Geddy Lee on his book tour yesterday. He's been having surprise guest hosts at each stop...it was Matt Stone last night. I was figuring it would be him but Jason Segel has been photographed at several spots around Denver last weekend so I thought maybe he was doing it.

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:45 pm fantastic. I've been getting shamed by my fam for not having gone to see him ... the tix were a little out of my range but just this week i checked for next Thursday's Toronto "show" at Massey Hall and I could get one for $50. Not sure i want to make the there/back drive solo on a weekday but damn you for making this a more-difficult decision :P

You can YouTube clips from his previous stops and gauge whether or not you think it's worth it. He seems to do a good job of talking about different stuff at each stop...the conversations seem pretty organic. He's not just repeating the exact same script.
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This place has a capacity of like 250. I would have shit so much shit.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:32 am This place has a capacity of like 250. I would have shit so much shit.

Beach House and Vile at a small venue is definitely pants shitting worthy. I'm heading to The Mountain Goats tonight at an old movie theater that's been a music hall for at least 30 years now.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I saw The Charlatans and Ride on a split bill in Atlanta last night at The Eastern. Holy crap what a great show. If you're into Ride - Andy Bell and Mark Gardener were a tour de force on guitars.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think I need to start at the beginning of this thread and make a Spotify list.

I just had someone send me an emo highlight clip of MI football and all its futility over the years with a Rilo Kiley song (a better son/daughter) playing and now I'm crying.

There's a lot of music I just haven't experienced and I need to fix it, to the extent I'm able.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Hosted a "living room" show (at my office conference room) for my favorite artist of all time, Eric Bachmann, on Saturday. Go ahead and meet your heroes, if they happen to be Eric, because he's such a good dude.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How does that come about?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There's a company called Undertow that advertises that an artist is looking to do a tour in a particular area and they list the dates and locations and ask if anyone wants to host. You send them details of your location and if they make a choice of all of the suggestions from that town. They handle all the ticketing, I just provide the place and check tickets at the door. There really wasn't any need to check tickets though because if you made your way to my office for the show, you only had the address via Undertow sending it to you after buying tickets.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

What’s the capacity of your office conference room? What fun!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My actual office suite conference room is small. This was the building's conference room that's maybe 20 feet by 30 feet? We had about 50 people in the room, most on the ground on blankets, some in chairs. Here's my video of him playing the old Archers of Loaf hit, "Harnessed in Slums".

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Very cool gc. I stumbled across that when I got an in-app notification from IG that you were streaming live but I couldn't tell what was going on.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:33 pm Very cool gc. I stumbled across that when I got an in-app notification from IG that you were streaming live but I couldn't tell what was going on.
I streamed live on IG for a minute or two, but that seemed like a lot of work. I think my kid got way more video than I did and I'll try and post if he did. Also, the two people you can barely see in that clip are pretty prominent in the video that I live streamed and they (and their other friend) were a bit of a drunken mess throughout the night.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's really awesome, chedda!

Quick minimalistreview of The Ryman...it was unreal. You really feel the history and honestly, I was on the verge of or in tears most of the night (and not because Texans lost). I wish we had more time to explore but by the time we got there after Texans game and waited in line for merch, the show had started. I could've listened to two more hours of Murder By Death. They are just so unique and really a revelation live. American Aquarium was awesome per usual.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nice. Bonnie and I went to a Grand Ole Opry show at The Ryman years ago. Because of its history, I felt like I was in a church - but fun!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm so jealous of y'all's Nashville trip, and would have tried to make it if I hadn't been hosting Bachmann. I suppose avoiding ice and snow and Typhoid Aary was probably best anyway.