B.B. King

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

B.B. King

Post by A_B »

Yup.

Great sound, guitar-landscape-changing methods.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Re: B.B. King

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I love his playing, and his great attitude and work ethic probably made him the Blues' greatest ambassador.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Seemed like a real gentleman and as said above, a great ambassador for the blues.

Kind of sad and unseemly at the end where his family and managers were fighting over his estate as he was dying. It will only get worse, now.

My t-shirt from BB King's blues bar in Memphis was a regular part of my wardrobe for about ten years.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was there too!!!!!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Will Clark died?!?!

Oh wait, I was just answering my own imaginary thread title.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Love watching him play and just letting the music flow from his whole body. RIP
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Was lucky enough to see B.B. many, many times over the years, starting way back in the summer of '82. Guy was a fantastic musician, and a great performer. Was trying to tell my kids about him this morning, and the fact that he always wore a suit and tie, and that he never played and sang at the same time.

One funny story...some mates and I were going to see him in Santa Fe...probably '85 or so, and my one friend didn't have a ticket. Standing outside the gates was a guy with an extra. This guy had a pretty down look on his face, and he explained that he was selling a ticket because his girlfriend had dumped him earlier that day. Later, during B.B's set, we look across the crowd, and we see the dumped ticket-seller guy, with a huge grin on his face, happily singing along with "Caldonia". That's the power of the blues....
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My introduction to the blues came via "Live at Cook County Jail" - and that album still holds up.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote:My introduction to the blues came via "Live at Cook County Jail" - and that album still holds up.
Completely holds up...as does "Live at the Regal"...

One of the super fun things about seeing B.B. live, was his trumpet player...big, heavy dude, rocking the "Rick James" jeri curl, who would dance back and forth during the entire show. And the guy was a hell of a player...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Was lucky enough to see B.B. many, many times over the years, starting way back in the summer of '82. Guy was a fantastic musician, and a great performer. Was trying to tell my kids about him this morning, and the fact that he always wore a suit and tie, and that he never played and sang at the same time.
I saw him around the same time, but all I really remember from the show is being annoyed about how much time he spent on stage talking about himself.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I saw him in the late 70s, before he had become a big-time draw. He played in a tent at a rural California fairgrounds before a modest crowd. I'm sure he was touring incessantly, and this was far from a big time gig. It was humid and hot as hell.

But he put on a classic show, sweating from beginning to end. Everyone in the crowd knew he was playing just for them. He was a master showman.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

B.B. King spent his latter years as a kind of go to reference for non blues-fans. Sort of amiable and Vegas-like as a showman. Duets with pop stars, TV commercials...

And nothing wrong with that, as the man sang - he really paid his dues.

But there was a time when the guy just smoked.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."