Cord cutting?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:12 pm Got an huge new TV and am now paying YouTube and yet no NBA finals in 4k. Uhh... Why do I have this wall sized tv?
The live technology for game action just doesn't seem to be there yet. The closeups and bumper shots in and out of commercials look amazing, but not actual gameplay.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Got an email from YouTube TV today saying they're raising their base rate from $65/mo to $73/mo. This, after announcing late last month they can no longer carry MLB Network.

I guess this means I'll be pausing YT TV after March Madness. At that point I'll be either sans live TV, or maybe I'll bump up my Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ bundle to include Hulu Live.

I mean, outside of sports, YT TV is basically earmarking classic movies to build out a watchable library. Otherwise it's all garbage.
Noli Timere Messorem
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Yep got the same email, think I'll be kicking YTTV to the curb next month.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Baloney wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:03 am Yep got the same email, think I'll be kicking YTTV to the curb next month.
Same here. I watch far less TV during spring and summer, so dropping this won’t be a big deal in the Sabo household.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We have HBO at $15.99... With The Last of Us wound down, gonna put that one on ice for the time being.

How would you guys watch March Madness without YTTV?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:23 am We have HBO at $15.99... With The Last of Us wound down, gonna put that one on ice for the time being.
Barry season 4 comes in April...they release series to keep you hooked.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:23 am How would you guys watch March Madness without YTTV?
I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't really care about college basketball unless my alma mater is involved.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Paramount is streaming the games I think. Sure there’s a cost but it’s less than yttv.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:32 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:23 am We have HBO at $15.99... With The Last of Us wound down, gonna put that one on ice for the time being.
Barry season 4 comes in April...they release series to keep you hooked.
While I love that show, I can pretty easily put it on the shelf to save that kind of money.

ETA - And Barry isn't the kind of show that gets spoiler'd all the time.

The only way that strategy by streamers works on me, potentially, is if the sunsetted shows not long after airing. That would blow.

As it is, I can sit on HBO for a year and have a few more shows stack up.

We've done that with Showtime and it works really well.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My YT TV renews April 5, two days after the NCAA championship game. I’ll cancel it on the 4th, and make a decision on bumping up Hulu to live or not in the meantime.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah that’s a decision for us to consider, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I like the YTTV....the interface is simple, the picture quality is good, it has the Premier League. But thinking of dropping it after the end of the season for FUBO so I can watch Mariners games this summer.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

I also cut my internet cord with Spectrum this moth as they increased the price to $85/month, now have T-Mobile home internet for $40.

Fuck it's great to get Spectrum out of my life.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

At a bar like a real man?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:39 am

At a bar like a real man?
Last of Us and March Madness are two bar watching staples for me. The Buffalo Wild Wings hated seeing me come in at 8:45 on Sundays.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Mine had watch parties!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:30 am My YT TV renews April 5, two days after the NCAA championship game. I’ll cancel it on the 4th, and make a decision on bumping up Hulu to live or not in the meantime.
Hulu Live is more per month than YTTV
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:54 am
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:30 am My YT TV renews April 5, two days after the NCAA championship game. I’ll cancel it on the 4th, and make a decision on bumping up Hulu to live or not in the meantime.
Hulu Live is more per month than YTTV
Right, but we’re already paying $21.19/mo for Hulu+ESPN+Disney. By adding another $62/mo, and subtracting YouTube’s $68/mo, we actually save $6/mo.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

duh. forgot that part.

though wouldn't the same thought process apply to Hulu Live as it did to YTTV above? that outside of sports it's mostly garbage? you're basically getting the same channels at a nominal price difference

I totally get unsubscribing/changing stuff over viewing habits, especially when there are no contracts involved. I guess I don't (outside of the case of explicit financial need, and in that case, I totally get it) totally understand changing or eliminating something because of a slight price increase. $20 a month or so? absolutely. that changes it

and again, I also totally understand that I'm not the typical consumer given what I have to have at home and what I've become accustomed to. so my mindset may be in the minority.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I should say that my wife has to be onboard with the decision, though the one added value Hulu Live has over YT TV is The History Channel.

I guess I forgot to mention that pretty much the only show I watch that isn’t sports-related would be American Pickers.

My guess is we’ll move over to Hulu Live, and I’ll look for reasons to cancel it (stability was one of the reasons we left Hulu Live the past couple times we’ve tried it).
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

$10 a month isn't enough for my wife to have to learn a new interface.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:28 pm $10 a month isn't enough for my wife to have to learn a new interface.
Actually, my wife mentioned she really likes the YT interface. Like, she just said that the other day.

Looks like I need a montage of my wife learning the Hulu TV listing interface.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So this YouTube TV split screen (four) is pretty freakin sweet.

Damn bastards.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:19 pm So this YouTube TV split screen (four) is pretty freakin sweet.

Damn bastards.
And in 365 days you can use it again!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DirecTV used to have that. Maybe they’re getting ready for Sunday ticket
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah, when I pause YT TV after MM, I'll be firing it up again for the NFL season. I was really hoping Apple was going to win that bid.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

How about the season 2 of the 100 foot wave?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:34 am

How about the season 2 of the 100 foot wave?
I liked S1 just fine, but it's not enough to keep my hooked at the current price point.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Bailed on Netflix so I could get MLS season pass. (One-in / one-out media policy, applies to books and records as well.) Will be a good test to see if I can get by on free* streaming services only for regular 'tainment.

*have Prime but only because I need it for work
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Today is the day
Free MLB.tv for t-mobile/sprint folks.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:59 am Today is the day
Free MLB.tv for t-mobile/sprint folks.
IN.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

[+] spoiler
So I'm able to get around the MLB blackout restrictions on MLB.TV by use of a NordVPN subscription and an Amazon FireStick.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:48 pm
[+] spoiler
So I'm able to get around the MLB blackout restrictions on MLB.TV by use of a NordVPN subscription and an Amazon FireStick.
What worked last night does not work tonight. So this is going to be a game of cat and mouse / whack-a-mole.
[+] spoiler
Fuck this nonsense.
Noli Timere Messorem
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

[+] spoiler
would love to know if you ever find a solution - seems like last year MLB really made an effort into cracking down on VPNs. For 2 years I used something called yonder.tv which was just a VPN for MLB and NHL (which worked perfectly and was easy/great for a time...then it failed and i think they went under).

How is it that the Guardians and Pirates are blacked out in western new york when even if I had cable they're not televised on any network here? makes zero sense. e.g. Mets and Yankees I understand, even if the policy is ass.

(not sure why this is spoiler but i'll keep it going plus i've never used it - i like secrets too)

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:06 pm
[+] spoiler
What worked last night does not work tonight. So this is going to be a game of cat and mouse / whack-a-mole.
[+] spoiler
Fuck this nonsense.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:58 am
[+] spoiler
would love to know if you ever find a solution - seems like last year MLB really made an effort into cracking down on VPNs. For 2 years I used something called yonder.tv which was just a VPN for MLB and NHL (which worked perfectly and was easy/great for a time...then it failed and i think they went under).

How is it that the Guardians and Pirates are blacked out in western new york when even if I had cable they're not televised on any network here? makes zero sense. e.g. Mets and Yankees I understand, even if the policy is ass.

(not sure why this is spoiler but i'll keep it going plus i've never used it - i like secrets too)

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:06 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Fuck this nonsense.
I wound up retrying different Canadian servers and it eventually worked. Whack-a-mole, indeed!

Oh, and we’re going to see Wilco in a couple weeks down in Asheville. Turns out, the zip code we’re staying in will have MLB.TV blackouts for the Braves and the Reds. 😂
Noli Timere Messorem
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ahhh ok so it's a matter of resetting where the VPN "accesses" MLB from (sorry if my terminology is off but you know what i mean :P) - i was thinking you would have to try different VPNs entirely. That's good news I guess!

I can be sorta technical when/if I want but honestly i hate to be (lol) so.... on a simplicity level how would you rate NordVPN?

(and yeah Asheville NC seems completely absurd wrt the Reds especially)
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:37 am
I wound up retrying different Canadian servers and it eventually worked. Whack-a-mole, indeed!

Oh, and we’re going to see Wilco in a couple weeks down in Asheville. Turns out, the zip code we’re staying in will have MLB.TV blackouts for the Braves and the Reds. 😂
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:40 am ahhh ok so it's a matter of resetting where the VPN "accesses" MLB from (sorry if my terminology is off but you know what i mean :P) - i was thinking you would have to try different VPNs entirely. That's good news I guess!

I can be sorta technical when/if I want but honestly i hate to be (lol) so.... on a simplicity level how would you rate NordVPN?

(and yeah Asheville NC seems completely absurd wrt the Reds especially)
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:37 am

It seems pretty simple enough. There's a lot of documentation / videos to help with the under-the-hood stuff, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Does wi-fi cutting apply to this thread?

My Xfinity introductory rate ended and so far they're bending me over for their cheapest option -- I'm telling them I'm cancelling but haven't had a price lowered. My options are:
1. Let Xfinity have its way with me and pay about $75 for just internet
2. Switch to RCN or Astound, enjoy $25/month for a year and then deal with their price increase (with possibly worse internet service and the headache of switching).
3. Have no internet and upgrade my Mint Mobile account to unlimited data -- I'd have to figure out how to connect my tv and laptop to my 5G and I don't know if security is worse for banking and that type of stuff with 5G compared to home wi-fi. Has anyone tried something like this?

I just need to stream tv shows, Swamp, and pay bills with my internet. Rass, please let me know if someone already answered these questions earlier.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

I dumped Spectrum internet and got T-Mobile home internet for half the price. Works for me.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Looks like Prime has ads on everything now? And you have to get another subscription on top of the normal subscription for them to go away? Membership up in May, think I'm out.