Cord cutting?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by govmentchedda »

Peacock sucks ass
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

And no DVR on Peacock, right?
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I may be in the minority in that I stream mostly though a browser, but yeah, Peacock was godawful while I had it. Have to constantly fiddle with emptying caches and restarts and switching between browsers just to get a stream going.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:55 pm And no DVR on Peacock, right?
Nope, or FF or REW. It's an awful UI.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Sounds like I’ll skip Peacock Premium and just put the $10 towards a scramble and a pint at the pub
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I have to have peacock for work purposes and second/third/fourth all the UI issues. it's just horrible. what I don't understand is that you have to go digging for live events like IndyCar stuff. if you're going to promote the crap out of something being on peacock, don't make me go to the sports tab and then scroll to find what I'm looking for. it should be on the homepage if I'm tuning in as it's live.

they have no problem doing that for the EPL and Notre Dame, however. so it's clearly a priorities thing.

the paramount plus UI is better, but not by much. and I haven't had great experiences with their video quality. Instead of watching PSG-City in its entirety today I just stuck with cable and the golazo show.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm cut the cord starting Saturday, and haven't looked at this thread before today. Is there a quick fuck jeeves summary? I need to buy an antenna for local channels (any recommendations?). I might try nothing but Amazon Prime at first, but will probably eventually get the Hulu/Disney/ESPN package. I think I can also get a 4 month free trial of youtube tv through google pay.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:41 am I'm cut the cord starting Saturday, and haven't looked at this thread before today. Is there a quick fuck jeeves summary? I need to buy an antenna for local channels (any recommendations?). I might try nothing but Amazon Prime at first, but will probably eventually get the Hulu/Disney/ESPN package. I think I can also get a 4 month free trial of youtube tv through google pay.
YouTube TV includes your local channels, so no need for an antenna. I think that's true of Hulu too?
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:44 am
EdRomero wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:41 am I'm cut the cord starting Saturday, and haven't looked at this thread before today. Is there a quick fuck jeeves summary? I need to buy an antenna for local channels (any recommendations?). I might try nothing but Amazon Prime at first, but will probably eventually get the Hulu/Disney/ESPN package. I think I can also get a 4 month free trial of youtube tv through google pay.
YouTube TV includes your local channels, so no need for an antenna. I think that's true of Hulu too?
Yeah, I'd skip the antenna myself and start with the Hulu/Disney/ESPN package. What's that, $15/mo? Maybe more for live TV?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I cut the cord at the beginning of September. Paying youtubetv half of what I paid Directv. For nearly the same channels. I will miss nhl network, tho.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Going past even cord cutting, I've started swapping services every month, and it has saved me anywhere from 100-200$ per month (paying full freight I would easily have Hulu/espn/Youtubetv/Disney/Twitch/HBO/Netflix/Prime). As a practical matter I much prefer watching seasons once they are over, I am also trying to cut down on some TV watching and starting the month strong, watching all of the stuff I missed and is actually good, and then I generally get bored of the service anyway, so it just runs out. The main trick to this is is signing up and then cancelling so you only have the month. If something truly amazing comes out like GoT then yeah, I'll stay subscribed, but otherwise? no thanks.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is the antenna I have and right now it's $17. It's typically $27. That's if you actually need one.

Otherwise, definitely go with the Hulu/Disney/ESPN package. Other than that, Amazon Prime and Netflix seem like all I need on top of that.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Free 30 days at Shudder.com with code "euphomet"
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I don’t know if anyone else has YTTV with the 4K package (and I don’t recommend it unless you get a deal), but right now they are showing batting practice from Fenway. No commentary or camera cuts or anything other than dudes taking BP while the organist plays tunes and the crowd fills in. That’s what television can be!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I remember back in elementary school, probably 5th or 6th grade, was at my friends house for the weekend and it was also the NBA All-Star game. They had satellite and we watched a network feed of the dunk contest and 3- point contest with no commentary or commercials. It was great. You could hear the players chasing with each other during the breaks.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think it was just a glitch and I got to see something I wasn’t supposed to see. After batting practice was done, they switched to the CF camera and you could see them calibrating the virtual strike zone. There were also a couple of very official looking guys that seemed to be communicating with the camera, and a guy with a service dog near the mound. I assume that was part of the cheating.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

blundercrush wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:49 pm Going past even cord cutting, I've started swapping services every month, and it has saved me anywhere from 100-200$ per month (paying full freight I would easily have Hulu/espn/Youtubetv/Disney/Twitch/HBO/Netflix/Prime). As a practical matter I much prefer watching seasons once they are over, I am also trying to cut down on some TV watching and starting the month strong, watching all of the stuff I missed and is actually good, and then I generally get bored of the service anyway, so it just runs out. The main trick to this is is signing up and then cancelling so you only have the month. If something truly amazing comes out like GoT then yeah, I'll stay subscribed, but otherwise? no thanks.
I'm unclear on how this is working for you unless you're not having all those services at the same time? Hulu/ESPN/Disney is like $14 a month and the others outside YTTV are like $40 a month combined, right?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:53 pm I remember back in elementary school, probably 5th or 6th grade, was at my friends house for the weekend and it was also the NBA All-Star game. They had satellite and we watched a network feed of the dunk contest and 3- point contest with no commentary or commercials. It was great. You could hear the players chasing with each other during the breaks.
This brings back a drunk or stoned memory from college of going to someone's house and watching satellite TV. They had Letterman on and the camera stayed on during commercial breaks. I remember watching Dave talk to the guest and the audience, but I don't think there was sound. Thinking back, this doesn't make any sense, as the shows weren't filmed live, so I doubt Dave waited the exact commercial break time between segments, right? Wouldn't they just say "we'll be back with Bill Murray after the break" then take a brief pause and just start up again? Was there a live show? Was I just really stoned?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:25 am
duff wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:53 pm I remember back in elementary school, probably 5th or 6th grade, was at my friends house for the weekend and it was also the NBA All-Star game. They had satellite and we watched a network feed of the dunk contest and 3- point contest with no commentary or commercials. It was great. You could hear the players chasing with each other during the breaks.
This brings back a drunk or stoned memory from college of going to someone's house and watching satellite TV. They had Letterman on and the camera stayed on during commercial breaks. I remember watching Dave talk to the guest and the audience, but I don't think there was sound. Thinking back, this doesn't make any sense, as the shows weren't filmed live, so I doubt Dave waited the exact commercial break time between segments, right? Wouldn't they just say "we'll be back with Bill Murray after the break" then take a brief pause and just start up again? Was there a live show? Was I just really stoned?
Seems highly unlikely.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm pretty sure they do pause for roughly the length of commercial breaks. Not sure why.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:40 pm
I'm pretty sure they do pause for roughly the length of commercial breaks. Not sure why.
They do commercial breaks even though they are taped. Dave would come out before the show and do a few jokes to get a feel for the crowd. Then when commercial breaks came they would have makeup checking Dave, the band, and the guests. I can't' remember if there was someone talking during the breaks, but there definitely was an applause sign that would blink as they were coming back from break. It didn't feel like a full 3 minute commercial break, but definitely more than a minute.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Live on tape. Live show recording at 5 or 6 pm lasts the same as what was broadcast at 1135
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Going live-to-tape while leaving time for commercial breaks makes it easier for the network to drop the aforementioned commercials in, as there is no editing your show for time. Basically, the network will play the show, then switch over to the commercials while the show continues playing (usually with a countdown of some sort), then go back to the show at the end of the commercial break, and so on.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:23 pm Live on tape. Live show recording at 5 or 6 pm lasts the same as what was broadcast at 1135
So my drug addled memories are actually accurate (this time)? Seems weird they would let the cameras run during the breaks and air on satellite. I assumed they would tape a segment so they could redo it if there were issues, but most talk shows actually seem live, so they just tape an hour show in an hour, huh? Fascinating.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:48 pm Going live-to-tape while leaving time for commercial breaks makes it easier for the network to drop the aforementioned commercials in, as there is no editing your show for time. Basically, the network will play the show, then switch over to the commercials while the show continues playing (usually with a countdown of some sort), then go back to the show at the end of the commercial break, and so on.
Wow, they throw huge money into the hosts and are this lazy with production? I guess you film a new show every weekday, you don't have the time to edit when you air the date its shot.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:51 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:48 pm Going live-to-tape while leaving time for commercial breaks makes it easier for the network to drop the aforementioned commercials in, as there is no editing your show for time. Basically, the network will play the show, then switch over to the commercials while the show continues playing (usually with a countdown of some sort), then go back to the show at the end of the commercial break, and so on.
Wow, they throw huge money into the hosts and are this lazy with production? I guess you film a new show every weekday, you don't have the time to edit when you air the date its shot.
The shows are made by production companies. The networks are responsible for the commercials that air during the show from selling the airtime to getting the commercials from the advertising agency to making sure they air at the correct time to instructing the production companies on how to format the show for the commercial breaks.

Has zero to do with the hosts. If something goes wrong, the production company will re-shoot the segment or whatever and edit it into the show master. That said, there's not a whole lot of time for fine tuning, so it's basically fixing it to make it acceptable for air.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafe knows way more on this subject than I do, but I'd also note that with a lot of long-standing shows, or even network and cable news, there's a ton of inertia... Stuff often just stays the way it is because folks doing production on a lot of stuff have been around for decades and "that's just the way we do it."

Again, DSafe's got a much more specific answer, I'm just going with observations from someone that's been around the news biz for quite awhile.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

My comments are for live-to-tape shows, like a traditional late night show.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I went to a taping of The Daily Show… 20 years ago? Holy fuck? Where did the time go? Jon Stewart talked to the audience between segments, and it probably was the amount of time a commercial break would run. Something happened, and they aired the episode with a different interview. He interviewed the Weakest Link host, and she was fucking nuts. He completely lost control of the interview and it went long. I bet they needed time to edit her down to something useable. Her interview aired a week or so later.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Letterman shot Mon-Thu, and filmed Friday's show on Thursday after the Thursday show
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:45 pm I went to a taping of The Daily Show… 20 years ago? Holy fuck? Where did the time go? Jon Stewart talked to the audience between segments, and it probably was the amount of time a commercial break would run. Something happened, and they aired the episode with a different interview. He interviewed the Weakest Link host, and she was fucking nuts. He completely lost control of the interview and it went long. I bet they needed time to edit her down to something useable. Her interview aired a week or so later.
Anne Robinson?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Baloney wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:49 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:45 pm I went to a taping of The Daily Show… 20 years ago? Holy fuck? Where did the time go? Jon Stewart talked to the audience between segments, and it probably was the amount of time a commercial break would run. Something happened, and they aired the episode with a different interview. He interviewed the Weakest Link host, and she was fucking nuts. He completely lost control of the interview and it went long. I bet they needed time to edit her down to something useable. Her interview aired a week or so later.
Anne Robinson?
Yup, found a video. You can see a cut and Jon saying he doesn't know what the hell she is talking about. She was rambling and he kept trying to reel her in. The actual interview was closer to 15 minutes, and it got really weird at times, and uncomfortable. It was like listening to a homeless person argue with an invisible man. I used to think she was playing droll for the camera on her show, but no, she was just fucking nuts.

https://www.cc.com/video/v95tkc/the-dai ... e-robinson
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just watched 2 minutes of that and had to bail.

Why would you hire that to do anything other than bother people into leaving your restaurant for turnover rate?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:54 pm
blundercrush wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:49 pm Going past even cord cutting, I've started swapping services every month, and it has saved me anywhere from 100-200$ per month (paying full freight I would easily have Hulu/espn/Youtubetv/Disney/Twitch/HBO/Netflix/Prime). As a practical matter I much prefer watching seasons once they are over, I am also trying to cut down on some TV watching and starting the month strong, watching all of the stuff I missed and is actually good, and then I generally get bored of the service anyway, so it just runs out. The main trick to this is is signing up and then cancelling so you only have the month. If something truly amazing comes out like GoT then yeah, I'll stay subscribed, but otherwise? no thanks.
I'm unclear on how this is working for you unless you're not having all those services at the same time? Hulu/ESPN/Disney is like $14 a month and the others outside YTTV are like $40 a month combined, right?
The YTTV I remember looking at was 60-70 per month, HBO/Netflix/Prime/Twitch/Disney equal out to ~another 75 which brings us to 140 (twitch has a separate subscription from prime if you want no commercials)

No YTTV and rotating one of the others a month is the math I was doing.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Has anyone had a Google ChromeCast die on them? I sat down the other night to watch baseball, and the YoutubeTv was all scrambled/static-y. Then I tried Netflix and got the same thing...but only when actually trying to watch something...not on the selection/menu screens.

Never had any problems with it before.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Includes ESPN and ABC
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, that really sucks. It looks like Disney is using their leverage to try to kill YoutubeTv. And as a consumer who wants those channels, my best option is to switch to the Disney/ Hulu bundle, directly rewarding Disney for this.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Well that blows.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I’m one of the bigger YTTV stans I know, so it is definitely tough to see this. I think Google has done a pretty good job of navigating the carriage wars to this point, but this is one they won’t win. I don’t care how good the service is, you need the content.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Agreed. Disney has been building to this and now they're making their move. I just don't know what to do now. I want the sports, but I don't want to give up the unlimited DVR and overall ease-of-use of YTTV. Any suggestions?
Totally Kafkaesque