Cord cutting?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Shirley »

I'm thinking of giving FuboTV a try. They have two free weeks, so I can decide if I like it and maybe YTTV will figure out something with Disney in the meantime. Their $65/mo plan (same price as YTTV) has 250 hrs of DVR. Not unlimited, but that's probably enough. I record a lot of crap on YTTV that I never really watch. I wish I could tell how many hours I've recorded so I could compare.

Update: Actually it's only one free week.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

For any of you considering switching to Sling, it takes an act of Congress to cancel with them. I'd avoid that option.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I've been using my brothers YouTube. Like it a lot. ESPN isn't a deal breaker for me and 80%+ of what I watch is sports. So long as I get premier league weekend mornings I'd stay. Of course I don't pay. I do get Boston channels which I love. No sure if the service would allow me to do that not on the brothers dime but would pay for that sans ESPN. Pretty much the only thing I'd miss is Monday NFL and Thursday college. I wouldn't sign up for a service without ESPN but now that I'm hooked id remain.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

For me, it's the loss of college basketball that's a killer. Most of that is on ESPN or the ACC Network, which is ESPN. We'll see how Fubo does.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Fubo doesn’t have Turner and therefore most of the NCAA Tournament.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

What if we all split up and go to every single game with a decent iPad?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It looks like the logical move is to Hulu+ which is probably why we are here. The channel lineup is closest, and since it is owned by Disney you never have to worry about losing ESPN/ABC. I haven’t confirmed this, but I understand that the new pricing includes Disney+ and ESPN+, which are mandatory. If you already have those, that might justify the price hike. I have read some not good things about Hulu’s UI and DVR.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rex wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:46 pm It looks like the logical move is to Hulu+ which is probably why we are here. The channel lineup is closest, and since it is owned by Disney you never have to worry about losing ESPN/ABC. I haven’t confirmed this, but I understand that the new pricing includes Disney+ and ESPN+, which are mandatory. If you already have those, that might justify the price hike. I have read some not good things about Hulu’s UI and DVR.
If this really causes a big market shift from YTTV to Hulu… Seems like an antitrust lawsuit waiting to happen.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I will say that I am surprised at the speed of transition that streaming services are making toward being pretty much just like cable and satellite
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:03 pm I will say that I am surprised at the speed of transition that streaming services are making toward being pretty much just like cable and satellite
Talked about that today. First they go to weekly release shows now they’re fucking everyone in the eye again.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well in the more traditional providers Fios is fighting with the local CBS station (owned by Sinclair). Will cut them off on 1/1 if they can't reach a deal. Right in time for NFL playoffs.....going to have to pick up an HD antenna.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The thing that still distinguishes this model for me is the customer's ability to sign up without a long-term contract and terminate without penalty or fuss. Which is exactly what's happening today! Waiting for someone to try to cross that line.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rex wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:40 pm The thing that still distinguishes this model for me is the customer's ability to sign up without a long-term contract and terminate without penalty or fuss. Which is exactly what's happening today! Waiting for someone to try to cross that line.
the local cable company has no contracts now and I think that more companies need to start following suit

eta: I understand the installs may be a contract reason, but I think even a 6-month agreement wouldn't be too off-putting
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:03 pm I will say that I am surprised at the speed of transition that streaming services are making toward being pretty much just like cable and satellite
Well, the market forces haven't really changed that much, so it makes sense that after disruption, it falls back to a similar place. The key differences now are competition (you used only have your one cable company and satellite as options), ease of change, and the fact that you have content creators in the game now. Distribution is WAY easier than in the old days when you had to spend 10s of billions to put wires in the ground or satellites in the sky. So, folks that make content can easily play. And those that didn't used to have their own content (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) have started making their own so as to have some competitive chance.

The thing is, even after this consolidation, the services are still cheaper and way more powerful (on demand, cloud DVR, etc.) than they were 5-10 years ago.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rex wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:25 pm Fubo doesn’t have Turner and therefore most of the NCAA Tournament.
Oh, I missed that part. Gonna have to rethink that then.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:06 pm For any of you considering switching to Sling, it takes an act of Congress to cancel with them. I'd avoid that option.
Taught this one to a few friends:

"My spouse, who's in the military, just got orders overseas. Unfortunately we are having to move suddenly."

Comcast cancelled within 15 minutes.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, this is going to be an issue. I guess I can take YTTV and deal with Hulu+.

There's a certain game on NYE I can't really see myself missing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Agreement reached
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:50 am
Well, the market forces haven't really changed that much, so it makes sense that after disruption, it falls back to a similar place. The key differences now are competition (you used only have your one cable company and satellite as options), ease of change, and the fact that you have content creators in the game now. Distribution is WAY easier than in the old days when you had to spend 10s of billions to put wires in the ground or satellites in the sky. So, folks that make content can easily play. And those that didn't used to have their own content (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) have started making their own so as to have some competitive chance.

The thing is, even after this consolidation, the services are still cheaper and way more powerful (on demand, cloud DVR, etc.) than they were 5-10 years ago.
you're also paying less and getting less though. that's I think the frustrating thing about it for most sports fans at the moment. sure, you can go switch to YTTV or Hulu, but then you don't have your local teams if they're like most and on a bally channel

what's that worth? varies by person, obviously. but it doesn't feel like an apples to apples comparison at this point if you like sports
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ryan wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:20 pmAgreement reached
Huzzah!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:16 pm sure, you can go switch to YTTV or Hulu, but then you don't have your local teams if they're like most and on a bally channel

what's that worth? varies by person, obviously. but it doesn't feel like an apples to apples comparison at this point if you like sports
I don't understand that sentence up there. What is a bally channel? And why wouldn't you have your local team? I think everyone here likes sports, so it's an odd argument that sports lovers won't prefer YTTV or Hulu.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:11 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:16 pm sure, you can go switch to YTTV or Hulu, but then you don't have your local teams if they're like most and on a bally channel

I don't understand that sentence up there. What is a bally channel? And why wouldn't you have your local team? I think everyone here likes sports, so it's an odd argument that sports lovers won't prefer YTTV or Hulu.
Oh, I see. It's a regional sports channel in the midwest. Non issue for me. I'm not sure what local sports I'm not getting with YTTV. Maybe the Hurricanes? Don't know, because I really don't watch them.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Selfishly, I’m fine with Google’s stance towards the Bally RSNs, because I’m a mostly out-of-market fan who doesn’t have much need for the local Bally channel. I guess people who need the local channel are stuck with a more expensive cable plan, but then again, they don’t have to buy League Pass and MLBtv like I do.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:13 pm

Oh, I see. It's a regional sports channel in the midwest. Non issue for me. I'm not sure what local sports I'm not getting with YTTV. Maybe the Hurricanes? Don't know, because I really don't watch them.
you didn't know the fox sports regionals were bought by sinclair and rebranded as bally sports? I'm surprised. they're also far from a midwest thing... it's 21 regional networks across the country that covers (I think?) the majority of the local tv rights of MLB/NHL/NBA teams

ETA: It's close to half. 42 teams in those three sports. 14 MLB, 16 NBA and 12 NHL
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:40 pm
Shirley wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:13 pm

you didn't know the fox sports regionals were bought by sinclair and rebranded as bally sports? I'm surprised. they're also far from a midwest thing... it's 21 regional networks across the country that covers (I think?) the majority of the local tv rights of MLB/NHL/NBA teams

ETA: It's close to half. 42 teams in those three sports. 14 MLB, 16 NBA and 12 NHL
Including the Hurricanes
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Our regional sports channels are included in the YouTubeTV package. Are you certain Bally isn’t included in yours?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Bally's/Sinclair have been in a dispute with YTTV for months (year?) now. I'm stuck using a VPN to watch Bolts games.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So the Star Trek franchise leaving Hulu inside of two weeks forced my hand to signup for Paramount+ this morning. Also, I just noticed that for $1 more a month to Hulu I could bring Disney & ESPN+ back into the fold.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:29 pm So the Star Trek franchise leaving Hulu inside of two weeks forced my hand to signup for Paramount+ this morning. Also, I just noticed that for $1 more a month to Hulu I could bring Disney & ESPN+ back into the fold.
Do you have T Mobile? I got a free year of Paramount+ through them.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/paramount-plus-deal
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:51 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:29 pm So the Star Trek franchise leaving Hulu inside of two weeks forced my hand to signup for Paramount+ this morning. Also, I just noticed that for $1 more a month to Hulu I could bring Disney & ESPN+ back into the fold.

Nah I’m Xfinity mobile. Thanks though!
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thanks Johnnie!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:36 pm

Thanks Johnnie!
You're welcome!

Just remember to cancel before the end of the 12th month or else it'll begin charging at $5 a month.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:41 am I'm cut the cord starting Saturday, and haven't looked at this thread before today. Is there a quick fuck jeeves summary? I need to buy an antenna for local channels (any recommendations?). I might try nothing but Amazon Prime at first, but will probably eventually get the Hulu/Disney/ESPN package. I think I can also get a 4 month free trial of youtube tv through google pay.
Bump. In the NFL playoff thread, I mentioned I missed the games. I bought a cheap antennae that didn't work awhile ago and figured because of my apartment being a basement unit, and gave up. Right now I have Peacock Plus (free with Comcast Internet), Prime, and Hulu which I got for 99 cents a month, and it's been more than enough shows -- I've been impressed with Hulu's selection of movies and there are just so many shows to watch. It does feel weird missing the new seasons of Curb, Big Head, Ozark, and whatever Marvel shit Disney comes up with, but then I rememember that a few years ago, I used to always watch shows well after they came out (thank you Netflix DVDs).
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:33 pm
EdRomero wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:41 am I'm cut the cord starting Saturday, and haven't looked at this thread before today. Is there a quick fuck jeeves summary? I need to buy an antenna for local channels (any recommendations?). I might try nothing but Amazon Prime at first, but will probably eventually get the Hulu/Disney/ESPN package. I think I can also get a 4 month free trial of youtube tv through google pay.
Bump. In the NFL playoff thread, I mentioned I missed the games. I bought a cheap antennae that didn't work awhile ago and figured because of my apartment being a basement unit, and gave up. Right now I have Peacock Plus (free with Comcast Internet), Prime, and Hulu which I got for 99 cents a month, and it's been more than enough shows -- I've been impressed with Hulu's selection of movies and there are just so many shows to watch. It does feel weird missing the new seasons of Curb, Big Head, Ozark, and whatever Marvel shit Disney comes up with, but then I rememember that a few years ago, I used to always watch shows well after they came out (thank you Netflix DVDs).
You would need to purchase a month of Paramount Plus to get the AFC Championship game (CBS). Unless you have YouTubeTV - in which case you have CBS (as well as FOX for the NFC Championship game). I am unaware of how to get a live FOX stream the way you can get CBS (ParamountPlus) and NBC (Peacock). I guess maybe Disney/Hulu might have live ABC? Who knows.

Peacock will have the Super Bowl btw...
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

no, you don't need Paramount+ to watch the games on Sunday

(see my note in the NFL thread)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:37 am no, you don't need Paramount+ to watch the games on Sunday

(see my note in the NFL thread)
I assumed he was talking about watching the games in HD/4K on a big screen TV, not his phone.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

still very possible with the app!
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Had notification yesterday my ESPN subscription is going up from $49.99 to $69.99 - a 40% hike
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... ights.aspx

Big big news for cord cutters, Apple fanboys and MLS season ticket holders.

For MLB/NBA/NHL, this is the template for getting rid of local blackouts.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Got an huge new TV and am now paying YouTube and yet no NBA finals in 4k. Uhh... Why do I have this wall sized tv?