The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by sancarlos »

I did not know there are chains of brew pubs.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:05 pm I did not know there are chains of brew pubs.
McMenamins
McMenamins is a family-owned company in the Pacific Northwest serving our own handcrafted beer, wine, cider, spirits and coffee alongside good, honest pub fare since 1983. Steeped in art, history and a sense of place, locations range from neighborhood pubs to historic hotels where live music and history talks are the norm, and soaking pools, movie theaters and other fun prevail.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:05 pm I did not know there are chains of brew pubs.
The is Rock Bottom Brewery erasure.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Oh yeah. My short term memory is deteriorating as we speak. I’ve been to both McMenamin’s and Rock Bottom. Never mind.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You and me both man. Tell you what, if I’m ever out there we’ll go on a tour and together we’ll rate these chains of pubs.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:30 pm You and me both man. Tell you what, if I’m ever out there we’ll go on a tour and together we’ll rate these chains of pubs.
Fun!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

CB & Potts used to be; I think Ram is still around in Idaho and Oregon.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:36 pm Any thoughts on Singlecut? They opened a taproom (The Singlecut Barn) within walking distance of our house. The local proprietors are trustworthy (they ran the wood-fired pizza and beer restaurant in town for several years before selling it), but are now linked with Singlecut.
I’ve had several, all were good to very good. Didn’t realize they had taprooms.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:49 pm
CB & Potts used to be; I think Ram is still around ways work. in Idaho and Oregon.
When I was in college at Colorado State, CB Potts was the place where my fake ID would reliably always work.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:03 pm Singlecut is a wee but hipster for my taste, but have some solid brews. Especially nice for a neighbourhood spot.
This is interesting to me because I’d consider them much more of an older dude type of brewery, down to the owner. They don’t really chase trends or make the silly experimental stuff, just good solid IPAs. The only thing hipster about them is starting in Astoria.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(I know they aren’t older in terms of how long they’ve been around, just stylistically more Sierra than Other Half.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:03 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:03 pm Singlecut is a wee but hipster for my taste, but have some solid brews. Especially nice for a neighbourhood spot.
This is interesting to me because I’d consider them much more of an older dude type of brewery, down to the owner. They don’t really chase trends or make the silly experimental stuff, just good solid IPAs. The only thing hipster about them is starting in Astoria.
100% my take, but I’ll add I had a really good stout from them. I was so excited when they started to distribute in NJ, but I’ve probably bought 3 or 4 single cans in Nj over the 5+ years.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Always good but never pushing the edges of great.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:43 pm Always good but never pushing the edges of great.
And never anything outside the box. That explains why my last Singlecut was pre-COVID. If it weren’t for Untappt, I’d never remember anything.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I'll have to get over there in a couple weeks after the novelty wears off. Place was packed every time I drove by last night running the older one to/from rock climbing.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:49 pm
CB & Potts used to be; I think Ram is still around in Idaho and Oregon.
There are still a fair number of Ram's in Washington, but the ones here in Seattle proper closed down.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:06 am Osteria del Corso. Name is much fancier than the place. They have indoor bocce.
You glorious bastard I bet our anniversary dinner on that place and it came through. Thanks.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Decided to stop in at a hole in the wall wine store near my daughter's soccer practice field. Didn't expect much, but sometimes the crappiest stores are the best place for rare finds. Beer fridge only had macros of the Bud and Miller variety, but they had six feet of shelf space for bottles and craft cans. Very excited to find several bottles of Thomas Hardy 50th Anniversary (2018) and 2 bottles of Thomas Hardy 50th aged in Scotch barrels.

When I lived in Boston, I fell in love with barleywine at the brewpub near my apartment. Someone told me Thomas Hardy was a very similar tasting barleywine. Found some Thomas Hardy, and it was really damned close, then within a year, Thomas Hardy went out of production (1999). I've tried dozens of barleywines since, and none are on par, (I prefer English to American style). Cut to 2015, and someone bought the recipe and decided to start making it again. I've only seen one bottle, until yesterday, which I bought and cellared for 5 years. Going to try one of the bottles tonight, and if it's good, buy all of the rest next week. Already bought the two Scotch barrel bottles.

-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anchor ceasing operations and liquidating
founded in 1896, sold to Sapporo in 2017
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:47 am Anchor ceasing operations and liquidating
founded in 1896, sold to Sapporo in 2017
Very sad news, even if I don't particularly like their beer. Most histories of beer credit the one-time owner of Anchor, Fritz Maytag, as the father of the craft beer movement. He bought the brewery in the 1960s when he learned it was closing and revolutionized the brewing process to make higher quality beers.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good news is they cashed out and Sapporo can eat it.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Incredibly disappointing. I am still a fan Anchor Steam and I’ve had a few one-offs at Anchor taps that were excellent.

Last night I literally just booked a flight to SF in October for the Bengals game…specifically scheduled it so I could go to the Anchor taproom my first night in town. Hopefully someone buys the brand and keeps it going.
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:27 pm Incredibly disappointing. I am still a fan Anchor Steam and I’ve had a few one-offs at Anchor taps that were excellent.

Last night I literally just booked a flight to SF in October for the Bengals game…specifically scheduled it so I could go to the Anchor taproom my first night in town. Hopefully someone buys the brand and keeps it going.
I would think someone would buy the brand and keep it going. If nothing else, sell the rights to brand and the recipes.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:13 am Good news is they cashed out and Sapporo can eat it.
I was trying to figure out how much Fritz sold it for. Looks like he sold to a VC group in 2010 for an undisclosed amount, and the VC group sold it to Sapporo for $85 million. I do love seeing the major brands losing money on buying microbreweries.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:27 pm Incredibly disappointing. I am still a fan Anchor Steam and I’ve had a few one-offs at Anchor taps that were excellent.

Big bummer. But, let me know when you’re available and maybe we can find a different good taproom.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:51 pm

Big bummer. But, let me know when you’re available and maybe we can find a different good taproom.
Yeah I was going to reach out once it got closer and I figured out my schedule. Six years ago when I was in the area doing some work for Stanford I went to Freewheel in Redwood City which I really enjoyed…is that close to you?
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:15 pm

Yeah I was going to reach out once it got closer and I figured out my schedule. Six years ago when I was in the area doing some work for Stanford I went to Freewheel in Redwood City which I really enjoyed…is that close to you?
Freewheel is pretty close to me. Brian and I visited there once. Couple others nearby that I prefer, though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:21 pm

Freewheel is pretty close to me. Brian and I visited there once. Couple others nearby that I prefer, though.
I strongly suggest deferring to San Carlos' recommendations on beer and food venues.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:21 pm

Ok…I’m always looking for something new. I’ll reach out a month or so before (game is Oct. 29) and we can set something up.
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:26 pm I strongly suggest deferring to San Carlos' recommendations on beer and food venues.
Well, thank you, sir.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:54 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:26 pm I strongly suggest deferring to San Carlos' recommendations on beer and food venues.
Well, thank you, sir.
No, thank you!
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There is a Cheerwine Ale for sale in NC that looks a little hazy, and a little more pink than something like Blue Moon and it tastes EXACTLY like Cheerwine soda. I'm befuddled.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Up at my parent's house for the week. I grabbed a four-pack from the local (two towns/30 minutes away) brewery. NOBH as in no bittering hops IPA. Damn this is a fantastic beer and no one knows about Hex and Hop Brewing (they do beer and mead.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Treehouse is expanding again, this time building across the street from SPAC in Saratoga Springs.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Goddamn I miss Trillium! Used to have an annual work trip to Boston and I'd bring an empty suitcase and go home with a suitcase full of Trillium on the Amtrak. Completely destroyed the wheels the first time I did this, but it was still worth it. Still have a couple bottles of a Trillium/Carton collaboration sour I was saving for a friend. Since that was pre-COVID, I think he passed his statute of limitations.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Flying Fish (NJ) files for chapter 11.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:55 pm Flying Fish (NJ) files for chapter 11.
I never understood how they stayed in business with all of the much better breweries opening over the last 5-10 years.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I tossed all my beer making stuff. I just had a gallon kit mind you but it was beaten up. I probably made five to six batches with it but non in six or seven years probably.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

bought yesterday in Toronto - not sure when (if) I'll even drink it. Henderson's Rush Golden Ale.