The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by rass »

No, they call him the "straw man" because he drinks his milkshake IPAs with a straw...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:04 am Any beer in the shower is a good beer.
Fact
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

testuser2 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:03 am
bapo! wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 pm Too late for that. I wake up early these days. Maybe half of a macro. Yuengling 4 Lyfe!
I appreciate Bapo! going PA strong. Yuengling is great for what it is. The new brews are all pretty terrible(Summer, Oktoberfest). The Chocolate porter isn't bad.
Yeungling made it to Texas finally. I was the second person to buy a case from Total Wine.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:00 am Sorry, the cool brewery you thought would impress is simply a hipster hangout, no reason to use your good comedic material here.
[puppy dog eyes] Pwease apwoove of my favowite bwewewy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bapo! wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 pm Too late for that. I wake up early these days. Maybe half of a macro. Yuengling 4 Lyfe!
I appreciate Bapo! going PA strong. Yuengling is great for what it is. The new brews are all pretty terrible(Summer, Oktoberfest). The Chocolate porter isn't bad.
Funny how those regional/nostalgia beers are always seem better to us than they actually are (especially if drunk in the shower.) I have a huge soft spot for Harpoon IPA though it's not really that great of a beer.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:55 am
Funny how those regional/nostalgia beers are always seem better to us than they actually are (especially if drunk in the shower.) I have a huge soft spot for Harpoon IPA though it's not really that great of a beer.
I need to find a can of Milwaukee's Best for the nostalgia. Preferably one buried in the woods for a couple days in the summer to get the proper flavor.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:08 am
I need to find a can of Milwaukee's Best for the nostalgia. Preferably one buried in the woods for a couple days in the summer to get the proper flavor.
When I was in grad school I drove out to NM with a buddy. I grabbed a 6 of Genny Cream Ale someplace in NY (which he made fun of me for) and it was in the back seat for 6-8 until we camped for the night. I threw it in the stream next to the campsite to cool and we had a few around the campfire. He remarked how delicious it was.

Maybe mountain stream cooled, last beers in the icy cooler, shower beer need to be ranked. Does anyone have a contact at Thrillist?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:35 am
When I was in grad school I drove out to NM with a buddy. I grabbed a 6 of Genny Cream Ale someplace in NY (which he made fun of me for) and it was in the back seat for 6-8 until we camped for the night. I threw it in the stream next to the campsite to cool and we had a few around the campfire. He remarked how delicious it was.

Maybe mountain stream cooled, last beers in the icy cooler, shower beer need to be ranked. Does anyone have a contact at Thrillist?
Thrillist! Haven't heard that name in years! I somehow got on their e-mail list or something, and I would waste time clicking through some of their content. They still exist?
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:54 am
Thrillist! Haven't heard that name in years! I somehow got on their e-mail list or something, and I would waste time clicking through some of their content. They still exist?
Oh yes. I get 40 top beers that brewers say you need to drink now!! lists every so often. Sierra Pale always being a top choice.

Here's their current list for pumpkin beers.

and best breweries
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:55 am
I feel that way about Coors Banquet. Especially on a hot day.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

"Juicy Bits" is such an unfortunate beer name.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Yes on Coors SC. Saw Rush at the Pepsi Center in the Coors box. I was glad to see I was the only one drinking Banquet. It was a hell of a good time.

As for Juicy Bits, and WeldWerks in general, I think they're good, but I think a lot of their beers are the same shit just shifting the hops/adjuncts from beer to beer.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Drinking Daisy Age Brewing's new Purple Majesty. (Daisy Age is located down the street from wherever you're reading this.) I probably would have enjoyed this a lot more five or ten years ago, before I had so many great barrel-aged imperial stouts with elderberries, maple syrup, fennel, and crushed elk horn. This is still special, tho.

Also, I still really enjoy Bell's Two Hearted Ale, lo these many years later. Centennial is definitely in my top-15 favorite hops.

Anyway, I'm drinking these to celebrate the fact that my friend is getting his book published. Actually, I'm just drinking them because it's my day off, and I'm home, and football and baseball are happening on tv, and what else would I be doing?

Cheers, Swamp. I hope you're enjoying your Sunday.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:51 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:04 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:01 am
CHOCKO TACO - IPA w/ chocolate, vanilla, cone and milk sugar. 7.5% Oh no we didn't! Through ice cream wizardry, we brewed a hazy IPA that tastes like one of our favorite desserts. CHOCKO TACO blends the flavors of fudgy swirls, vanilla, sugar cone and milk sugar, and will bring you back to your happy place. You can enjoy CHOCKO TACO today in the taproom on draft or TO GO in 4pk//16oz cans
this feels like it has a high ceiling and a low floor. we'll find out friday.
Sounds like great additions to a stout, not sure how that could work in an IPA, but I'd try it once.
they have an orange creamsicle one that I keep meaning to try. saw it at the store yesterday. vanilla and orange and milk. I'll probably get that when I stop there thursday.

(I hardly drink craft at home any longer. it's usually macro swill or mixed drinks and then craft while we're out)
the orange creamsicle is very good and the chocko taco is really, really good. they legitimately got it to taste like chocolate on the front end. I was happily surprised. so surprised i ended up buying two eight packs.

not cheap, but really good.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Commonwealth Brewing was right around the corner from where I stayed in Virginia Beach over Labor Day weekend. We ended up buying a fair share over the five days we were there, visiting three times in five days. I don't think there was a bad beer in the bunch. I'm currently finishing off the last one, Experiential, my favorite of the lot.

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Reaper wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:37 pm Commonwealth Brewing was right around the corner from where I stayed in Virginia Beach over Labor Day weekend. We ended up buying a fair share over the five days we were there, visiting three times in five days. I don't think there was a bad beer in the bunch. I'm currently finishing off the last one, Experiential, my favorite of the lot.

They had a release with limited distribution in Northern VA of this gem. I bought it based on the name
https://www.commonwealthbrewingcompany. ... -unicorns/

Got a really nice bomber of Barrel Aged something from them that I have not opened.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sucks. I used to go to a conference every year in VAB, then people complained so it moves..it's been in Orlando and was supposed to be in San Antonio.
I sort of liked the VAB tackiness and I got hit up Commonwealth, The Veil and others.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:53 pm
Reaper wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:37 pm Commonwealth Brewing was right around the corner from where I stayed in Virginia Beach over Labor Day weekend. We ended up buying a fair share over the five days we were there, visiting three times in five days. I don't think there was a bad beer in the bunch. I'm currently finishing off the last one, Experiential, my favorite of the lot.
They had a release with limited distribution in Northern VA of this gem. I bought it based on the name

Got a really nice bomber of Barrel Aged something from them that I have not opened.
I had that one while we were down there. The "we" is two families. The other guy's wife got stupid drunk off of just one of those 10%ers. I can't remember what my second one of the night was, but it was another high percenter that put me out.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Reaper wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:57 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:53 pm

I had that one while we were down there. The "we" is two families. The other guy's wife got stupid drunk off of just one of those 10%ers. I can't remember what my second one of the night was, but it was another high percenter that put me out.
Yeah the ABV on the beers they had at the release up here were all closer to grain alcohol than Mic Ultra.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm not the biggest Treehouse fan, but this Juice Project: Citra & Galaxy my MA buddy just sent me is fucking excellent.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hell yes. Last haul had that and another citra + project (Motueka) that wasn’t half as good.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:32 pm I'm not the biggest Treehouse fan, but this Juice Project: Citra & Galaxy my MA buddy just sent me is fucking excellent.
My IPA hating friend just went to TH and said he got me King Jammy, which is King Julius conditioned on freeze dried apricots. Looking forward to trying it.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:55 pm Hell yes. Last haul had that and another citra + project (Motueka) that wasn’t half as good.
I haven't really found any of those New Zealand hops to my liking. Drinkable? Sure. But I'm not overly excited about them.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

New Belgium now owns Bell's
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:42 pm New Belgium now owns Bell's
Aussie's trying to take over our beer!
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:24 pm
They don't call it beer down under.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Japanese, actually.

Bell’s owned by New Belgium owned by Lion Little World Australia owned by Kirin Beverages.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:46 pm
Japanese, actually.

Bell’s owned by New Belgium owned by Lion Little World Australia owned by Kirin Beverages.
Owned by the Sheinhardt Wig Company.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My 15 year old son got me beer for my birthday. He made a surprisingly good build your own six pack. I think I need to be worried.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I love Sierra Nevada Celebration.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:25 am I love Sierra Nevada Celebration.
Used to get excited every year when it came out. Probably been over 10 years since I’ve had it. Should get some this year.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:25 am I love Sierra Nevada Celebration.
There are three things I miss after quitting drinking. Red wine, margaritas, and Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, it's been a while since I've been excited about Xmas releases, but now it kinda sounds good.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sierra Celebration
Mad Elf
Hardywood Bourbon Barrel Seasonal (Xmas Morning)
KBS' holiday release
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Reminds me I need to pick up some Jubel
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Is it Mad Elf season? I haven't seen it, but I haven't thought to look for it. Now I'm in the mood.

I still buy some Celebration Ale most years. I still love it, especially for nostalgia reasons. It's one of the first beers I ever truly fell in love with.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:42 pm Reminds me I need to pick up some Jubel
I picked some up a few weeks ago. Always good.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This is pretty tasty.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:33 pm Sierra Celebration
Mad Elf
Hardywood Bourbon Barrel Seasonal (Xmas Morning)
KBS' holiday release
Just bought a 4-pack if the Hardywood Bourbon barre gingerbread stout. It comes in really cool old tymie bottles. Like the bottle says, it’s “freagin Christmas in a bottle.” Last year my parents got me a 4 pack of Christmas Morning and a 750ml bottle of the bourbon barrel, still havent opened the bourbon one. Definitely doesn’t need aging, but curious to see what a year has done for it. I may buy another 4 pack, I really love that beer. BBA milk stout with cinnamon, vanilla, honey and fresh ginger.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sweet Water buying Green Flash and Alpine. Consolidating the brew operations too. Tough week to for folks to learn they are losing their jobs.