The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:18 am

The entire batch under-carbonated? What beer?
Single can. It was an IPA from a Denver brewery that I've had some good beers from before. I don't see a lot of under-carbed cans. I've seen a few under filled etc. but this the tab was weird when I opened it and it had some bubbles but absolutely no head.

Oh and I got a Veil 4 pack (first time I've seen in CO) that's fucking excellent. Silver Ferrari I think it's called.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Veil is no joke.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I want more of the Veil beer, but at 20$ a 4 it's not a grab one for the night thing...

also this is interesting.

https://tastetrinbago.com/the-history-o ... caribbean/
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is that high for your area or just a threshold you won't cross. Most Other Half around here is a little above $20 per 4 pack, the really good local brewery usually lands around $17 and only sold at the source.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:33 pm The Veil is no joke.
The brewery is pretty awesome, too. Richmond is an underrated city in terms of food and brewery scene. Had a great 3 day weekend down there for my birfday during a few years back.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:11 pm
The brewery is pretty awesome, too. Richmond is an underrated city in terms of food and brewery scene. Had a great 3 day weekend down there for my birfday during a few years back.
Heading to Richmond for a soccer tournament this Spring, I need to try and work in a trip to Veil. Only Veil beer I had was a collab with Other Half. [checks Untappt app], completely forgot I had to NEIPAs from Veil, both were absolutely top shelf.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:35 pm
Heading to Richmond for a soccer tournament this Spring, I need to try and work in a trip to Veil. Only Veil beer I had was a collab with Other Half. [checks Untappt app], completely forgot I had to NEIPAs from Veil, both were absolutely top shelf.

I need to go back and look, we hit up 3 or 4 good breweries and restaurants. Particularly over in that area where Veil is... That's where our VRBO joint was, so we could walk to a bunch of spots.

*looking*

Scott's Addition is the area.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:40 pm

I need to go back and look, we hit up 3 or 4 good breweries and restaurants. Particularly over in that area where Veil is... That's where our VRBO joint was, so we could walk to a bunch of spots.

*looking*

Scott always coped better than his sister Jane.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You warm up before that stretch?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If you like stouts....visit Hardywood
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:35 pmI... like stout....Hard...wood
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Do not skip The Answer brewery if you're in Richmond.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:46 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:40 pm

*looking*

Scott always coped better than his sister Jane.
She's done with (does confederate statues rhyme with Sergio)?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:59 am Is that high for your area or just a threshold you won't cross. Most Other Half around here is a little above $20 per 4 pack, the really good local brewery usually lands around $17 and only sold at the source.
That's must "have to have" beers run from 17-low 20s with a bit of a markup not at the brewery. I can hammer through a 4 pack so try not to go hog wild unless it's something special.

Sad I used to fly into Richmond every year for a conference in VB (I talked them out of flying directly as it was cheaper to go to Richmond and rent a car) now that conference moves around the country...Orlando and San Antonio the last few I've been to.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:37 pm
I feel like you gave me solid recs when I put it out there back in the day. Agreed, now that you reminded me. We hit up The Answer for one of our meals... and beer. Place through me off, because the map shows a Vietnamese restaurant that you see from the main road, but The Answer is down the back side of that building.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:35 pm
If you like stouts....visit Hardywood
Funny, I debated buying a 4 pack of Hardywood's Christmas Morning Stout today. Went with the Hop Slam instead, as it tends to fall off really fast and my beer trading friend said he has a lot of stouts for me.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:40 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:37 pm
I feel like you gave me solid recs when I put it out there back in the day. Agreed, now that you reminded me. We hit up The Answer for one of our meals... and beer. Place through me off, because the map shows a Vietnamese restaurant that you see from the main road, but The Answer is down the back side of that building.
That's An's mom's restaurant, which also has a fantastic beer menu that isn't just Answer beers. I believe that's where An got his start making beers before he expanded into the back location.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ahhh. That's right... I remember thinking at the time that I'd probably rather have the Mekong food, as I was feeling kind of full with all the beer I drank that afternoon.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The tradeoff for the full menu of Vietnamese food at Mekong is limited Answer beer options (although they have quite a few other bottles and cans on offer). The tradeoff for the full beer menu of Answer is the food options are still quite good, but more like bar food, and the beers are either Answer beers OR a few guest taps.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

There's another one that had/has really good pizza Tripple Crossing maybe?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The brewpubs around here seem to be leaning hard into sours. Is that the case elsewhere, too?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:56 pm The brewpubs around here seem to be leaning hard into sours. Is that the case elsewhere, too?
Sours and pilsners.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:56 pm The brewpubs around here seem to be leaning hard into sours. Is that the case elsewhere, too?
My son is actually getting his degree in brewery science.

He has been talking about this trend for a couple of months now.

I was very anti-sour because I tried it on a tour of New Belgium and really didn't like it. The Boy got some samples at a recent stop at a local and... Pretty good!

I think they are figuring out how to smooth it out a bit.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:04 pm

I was very anti-sour because I tried it on a tour of New Belgium and really didn't like it. The Boy got some samples at a recent stop at a local and... Pretty good!

[+] spoiler
I don't think New Belgium is any good.
That being said, I welcome the move to pilsners, and away from IPAs.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:57 pm
Sours and pilsners.
Yep, same here. I just don't like pilsners. I'll try one every now and then. Even from the best breweries, I just don't like them. I don't hate them, but just can't get into it. The sours started ramping up a few years ago, but now it's insane. Almost as many sours coming out as IPAs. The novelty of the Smoothie Sour has worn off for me, but probably more of a summer drink, so maybe that's it. Still enjoying the Berliner Weiss and kettle sours, but not as often. I think sours are really easy for the brewers to get creative with the added ingredients, so it makes sense.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:04 pmI think they are figuring out how to smooth it out a bit.
Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't this turn off the hardcore Sour Heads?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:04 pm

I'll second Chedda's comment on New Belgium. There are a lot of different styles of sours, and they go back 400 years, so I think people have it figured out. Try some different styles of sours, a lot of them are very approachable and easy to drink. It's a strange taste, and takes some getting used to. I had a couple friends who were dead set against sours, but I gave them some mild fruit bombs and they liked it. I swore off sours on the Swamp many years ago, but Rush gave me a few suggestions to ease into it (I think Rodenbach Flanders Red opened me to the idea). My first was Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge, which was like drinking a beer through a mouthful of Sourpatch kids, and I couldn't finish one. I wonder if I'd like it now...
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I’ve been on the anti-sour bandwagon for a while but there are a few breweries out here who do them well (Weldwerks, 4 Noses and Loveland Aleworks). And by well I mean mild enough for taste buds that don’t care much for sour things.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:32 pm There are a lot of different styles of sours, and they go back 400 years... I swore off sours on the Swamp many years ago, but Rush gave me a few suggestions to ease into it (I think Rodenbach Flanders Red opened me to the idea).
Hilarious, back during the first rediscovery of sours when I was slinging beer some kid asked me about a Belgian sour and if it was any good. I was like they've been in business since 1680, they're just getting it dialled in.

But I agree. I like the "tart" sours (think black/raspberries) rather than the pucker/turn your stomach to yoghurt sours. My wife is one a fruited sour kick lately...and some are good, I'm just a one and done then back to the DIPA guy.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

New Belgium's La Folie is pretty good, and their standard Voodoo isn't bad to bring to a party, but they aren't that great since they've expanded and now gotten bought out. As Karma mentioned we have much much better local offerings.

NonLinear is your son brewing at CU-Denver? They have an on-campus pub that usually has some pretty good stuff, though I haven't been down there since Boulder is moving away from the same systems.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I like IPAs. Sorry, not sorry. I try other stuff and I'm always like, "why am I forcing myself to like stuff at this point."

To be fair, I really am much more of a wine drinker these days. I drink beer when my son and BIL come around because I know that's their jam. I also think it's fun to check out a local brewery or two when I'm traveling because you can kind of get a feel for the people and location.

I like trying stouts and sours and stuff at breweries in Flights. But it's pretty rare that I'm like, "oh, yeah, I'd like a pint of that."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m easily 90% or more IPAs too. Some pilsners in the summer and stouts/porters in the winter but most of my variety comes within hop choice or IPA style.

(If someone ran the numbers I wouldn’t be shocked if my 2022 was >50% Other Half IPAs. When something is available and so much better than the other choices it’s hard to not go with it.)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah I didn't know IPAs were passe. I don't drink a lot of beer, but when I do I want to know it, so I tend towards IPAs when out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I don't know that they're passe as much as they've oversaturated the market.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And the people who don't like their prominence very explicitly and vocally don't like it.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

The wife got my a beer advent calendar from a place near the in-laws in Charlottesville. Numbered slots in a case for each day that had hand-picked beers from VA/local breweries. It had a few of the Hardywood stouts with the additives. They were well made, but not my thing. I generally dislike anything sweet and their stouts always seem mapley and sugar-sweet. I really like some of the Vibrissa beers and even hit their brewery in Winchester last week.

My go to has been any of the IPA's from New Trail. I'm not sure how far out you can find their stuff, but it should cover MD/NJ.
Last edited by testuser2 on Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:08 am And the people who don't like their prominence very explicitly and vocally don't like it.
Pretty much the height of hipster nonsense in this industry. "Oh, sure, they may have been the tip of the spear and helped explode craft brewing and the local brewery scene... But they're totally not what REAL beer drinkers like."

getthefuckouttahere
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

testuser2 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:43 am The wife got my a beer advent calendar from a place near the in-laws in Charlottesville. Numbered slots in a case for each day that had hand-picked beers from VA/local breweries. It had a few of the Hardywood stouts with the additives. They were well made, but not my thing. I generally dislike anything sweet and there stouts always seem mapley and sugar-sweet. I really like some of the Vibrissa beers and even hit their brewery in Winchester last week.

My go to has been any of the IPA's from New Trail. I'm not sure how far out you can find their stuff, but it should cover MD/NJ.
Charlottesville and the surrounding area is REALLY good for breweries. Devil's Backbone has one of the coolest breweries/restaurants I've been to in many years. There's even a campsite on property. My son and BIL want to stay there this summer.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:36 pm I’m easily 90% or more IPAs too. Some pilsners in the summer and stouts/porters in the winter but most of my variety comes within hop choice or IPA style.

(If someone ran the numbers I wouldn’t be shocked if my 2022 was >50% Other Half IPAs. When something is available and so much better than the other choices it’s hard to not go with it.)
My favorites are stouts, porters, and English barley wine, but it's hard to find a good barley wine these days. I had been drinking a lot of sours, but I have a few that have been sitting in my fridge for a long time. I like to try new beers and tend towards weirder things just to try them. I buy single bottles/cans a lot, or buy a 4 pack and trade a can with my friend. That said, probably more than 50% of what I drink is IPAs. Not my favorite style, but there are so many great local IPAs, and usually if I want a beer, I'm craving hops. I usually drink more stouts in the winter, but I have no problem drinking a thick, 10%+ heavy stout in August.

Back to the tartness level of sours, it's actually extremely easy to control (except for maybe wild ales, where the sour flavor develops due to using wild yeasts or exposing beer to natural organisms in the air as opposed to lab created yeast). You essentially infect your beer with a specific bacteria (lactobacillus) and as it eats the sugars, it excretes lactic acid instead of alcohol. You can measure the pH level as the bacteria does it's work and stop at whatever number you want. Or if you are like me and too cheap to spend $100 on the pH device, you taste the wort every few hours until you get the desired level of sour. Boil the wort to kill the bacteria, let it cool and add yeast to create alcohol. I don't think brewers boil wild ales after the infection, but I believe many continue to develop more sour flavor in the bottle, so probably not. It's a little weird tasting the wort in the souring phase, as the lactic acid is all you taste as it's pre-hops or fruit added.
-Pruitt
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:55 am Charlottesville and the surrounding area is REALLY good for breweries. Devil's Backbone has one of the coolest breweries/restaurants I've been to in many years. There's even a campsite on property. My son and BIL want to stay there this summer.
That area is crazy with all the wineries and breweries. Bold Rock is down the street. We hit a few places down there over the summer during our last visit. Hazy Mountain is an insane facility for being brand new.