The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by govmentchedda »

They just started shipping to Richmond, VA. I believe that everything else is only shipped within Florida. The Humidor series stuff is great. It tastes a lot like cedar. They have a few other beers that they also add cedar to, but not as much as the Humidor series. They're always coming up with one off brews. For example, they can and bottle 6 beers regularly, with their Jai Alai IPA selling best. They also have 3 regularly bottled 750 ml options, and currently 4 seasonal 750 ml options. They currently have 20 different varieties on tap, plus 4 other guest taps from other breweries.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

They have a collab with New Belgium out right now that is very underwhelming. Peppers and aged in cedar and you don't really get anything coming out it. A let down from two very envelope pushing breweries.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Is that the Cigar City Collaboration Ale? Haven't had it. I think they might be out of it here in Tampa.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:
(and Syb go Rate Beer, not Beer Advocate.)

I tested both, and find my tastes more in line with BA raters. Plus the site is a lot more user friendly and has more info.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:Is that the Cigar City Collaboration Ale? Haven't had it. I think they might be out of it here in Tampa.
Hasn't been released here, but i had it at a private tasting. It'll sell like crazy, but it's not worthy of it's names.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Not every beer will be off the charts. For instance, CCB's Guava Grove is undrinkable. I do know that I can walk into the brewpub and order from a wide variety of tasty brews.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:Not every beer will be off the charts. For instance, CCB's Guava Grove is undrinkable. I do know that I can walk into the brewpub and order from a wide variety of tasty brews.
Oh, I've enjoyed many of the ones I had, and majority of the NBB beers I've had. Just weird that the collaboration of the two is gorss.

Though Denver Beer Company has a Kaffer Lime that is absolutely disgusting. I took a sip out of a taster and it ruined my palate for 30 minutes. So gross.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Not every beer will be off the charts. For instance, CCB's Guava Grove is undrinkable. I do know that I can walk into the brewpub and order from a wide variety of tasty brews.
Oh, I've enjoyed many of the ones I had, and majority of the NBB beers I've had. Just weird that the collaboration of the two is gorss.

Though Denver Beer Company has a Kaffer Lime that is absolutely disgusting. I took a sip out of a taster and it ruined my palate for 30 minutes. So gross.
NBB just made it to Tampa, to much fanfare. The Fat Tire is very good, IMO, and I enjoyed the Coconut Curry Hefeweizen, although I'm not sure I'd want more than one at a sitting.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:NBB just made it to Tampa, to much fanfare. The Fat Tire is very good, IMO, and I enjoyed the Coconut Curry Hefeweizen, although I'm not sure I'd want more than one at a sitting.
If you like DIPAs the Rampant is good. The Frambozen (their raspberry brown) is very very nice. And the Abbey is quite tasty as well.

I was into Fat Tire about 15 years ago, good but other ambers have by passed it.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Rush2112 wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:NBB just made it to Tampa, to much fanfare. The Fat Tire is very good, IMO, and I enjoyed the Coconut Curry Hefeweizen, although I'm not sure I'd want more than one at a sitting.
If you like DIPAs the Rampant is good. The Frambozen (their raspberry brown) is very very nice. And the Abbey is quite tasty as well.

I was into Fat Tire about 15 years ago, good but other ambers have by passed it.
I will second the opinion on Rampant. Picked some up the other week and enjoyed it very much. Haven't had the Abbey, but do like the Trippel.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A disappointing Unibroue is still better than most beers...

A dark wheat beer but not much going on here.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My Aunt and Uncle bought me a 4 pack of this.

If you are not from Baltimore you just don't understand (much like Mr. Boh and Utz Crab Chips)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:A disappointing Unibroue is still better than most beers...

A dark wheat beer but not much going on here.

I believe that's one of their beers only available in Canada. The Terrible and 17th are fantastic. La Fin Du Monde is one of my all time favourites.

Enjoying an Alesmith Speedway Stout.

a 100 on RateBeer, I agree. Just fantastic.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I've found the same thing. More than it should have.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Worst beer I ever tried. Mikkeller Bad Worse barley wine. Such a disappointment. So excited to finally try a Mikkeller. Avoid:

I thought it was a tainted bottle, but too many reviews agree. Absolutely flat and full of sediment. Very slight barley wine taste at the start, then booze, then a strong lasting finish of bad pinot noir. I tried to fight through it, but had to pour half of it out. I got a strong buzz of half a bottle, which also makes me think there was something wrong with it.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Not sure if I've posted this before, but this is delicious and I'm not a wheat beer person:

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Oh, 2 Negroes Wheat.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:Oh, 2 Negroes Wheat.
No word on if you get a mule for every case you buy
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've got a Boulevard Rye On Rye and Barrel Belgian Quad that I'm trying to age, they whisper to me ever so often.

I really like the Dark Truth Stout as well.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:I've got a Boulevard Rye On Rye and Barrel Belgian Quad that I'm trying to age, they whisper to me ever so often.

The Bourbon Barrel Quad?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:I've got a Boulevard Rye On Rye and Barrel Belgian Quad that I'm trying to age, they whisper to me ever so often.

The Bourbon Barrel Quad?
Aye.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I was in Denver over the weekend for my brother's wedding (best man!) Last night, the wife and I went to a place downtown that claims to have more beers on tap than any place in the country. The attached menu lists 90-some and there are apparently more, because one of the two I had (Oskar Blues Old Chub scotch ale) isn't even on this menu. I also had a Blanche du Bruxelles weiss biere. Worth a visit if you're ever downtown - it's on the 16th street mall.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

There are a few Yardhouses around, I went to one in Long Beach last time I was in CA. I had a great time.

If I'm drinking in Denver I usually hit up the Falling Rock Taphouse or Hops & Pie
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Drinking Dark Hops by Beer Here, brewed at Nøgne. Certainly one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. Loved it at the first sip, but that is steadily declining as I go. There is a certain taste and smell that is slightly overpowering the rest of the flavors. I think it is yeast, but I'm not sure. Probably needed to age more. It is labelled as a black IPA, but it is more stout-like than a black IPA. Has rye in it as well. Very malty and peat-like smokiness. The smell is a combo of what I think is yeast and prunes. Take out the yeastiness, and it's really good. Probably wouldn't buy again, but sure is interesting.

-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

European IPAs are quite different from American versions. Much more hop bombs here in Murica.

Syb, if you see Evil Twin beers try them. It's the Mikkeller's twin brother. The Biscotti stout is fucking stellar (and they have barrel aged version) the Night in NYC Stout is very nice as well.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Long Dark Voyage To Uranus - moronic name, but a heavy, heavy, heavy imperial stout.

Tasty, bitter as hell and debilitating.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Pruitt wrote:Long Dark Voyage To Uranus - moronic name…
But true.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sooo... what's the consensus on Goose Island beers? a) I'm low on 12 oz. beers, b) we're hosting a party Friday night, c) I wanted something different from what I usually get, and d) Costco had them on sale. So, today, I bought a case comprised of four different Goose Island ales. Cracking one open, shortly...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm a fan of Goose Island. Their IPA, Matilda and Harvest Ale are quite good. It seems like they've gotten to be a macro microbrew lately, but it is quality stuff in my opinion, and certainly a step up from American macros.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:Sooo... what's the consensus on Goose Island beers? a) I'm low on 12 oz. beers, b) we're hosting a party Friday night, c) I wanted something different from what I usually get, and d) Costco had them on sale. So, today, I bought a case comprised of four different Goose Island ales. Cracking one open, shortly...

I've only had the Bourbon County Stout, and it just might be the best beer I've ever tried. I've heard several friends say they really like the IPA.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:I've only had the Bourbon County Stout, and it just might be the best beer I've ever tried. I've heard several friends say they really like the IPA.
It is very very good. If you happen upon a bottle of the Bourbon County Rye I HIGHLY suggest getting as many as you can. It is truly fantastic.

SC, they are a very good large micro. Their beer is quite good. In the mix you probably got the 312, Honkers, IPA? All good versions of the style nothing crazy. The Belgian styles (Matilda, Sophie, Lolita, etc.) and the BC Series is where they really shine. All in all good and glad that being bought by InBEV only changed the brewmaster and not the quality of their beers.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

govmentchedda wrote:I'm a fan of Goose Island. Their IPA, Matilda and Harvest Ale are quite good. It seems like they've gotten to be a macro microbrew lately, but it is quality stuff in my opinion, and certainly a step up from American macros.
That happens when you get bought by Anheiser Busch/Unibev...

Their regular offerings are mostly meh- drinkable, but not outstanding. Some of their limited/seasonal stuff is quite good.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote:I'm a fan of Goose Island. Their IPA, Matilda and Harvest Ale are quite good. It seems like they've gotten to be a macro microbrew lately, but it is quality stuff in my opinion, and certainly a step up from American macros.
I like the 312 a lot for a summer beer.

I didn't use to care much for that style but it has grown on me.

According to Untapped, I have tried 80 different beers during 2013. Granted, 20 of those were samples at a beer festival, but I am glad I didn't pay for about ten of those because they sucked.

My highest rated ones are the Sam Adams Octoberfest and Singletrack Copper ale.

I had a Dixie Lager while traveling last week. I enjoyed it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Drinking a Full Tilt Brewing Berger Cookie Chocolate Stout. Smells and tastes like a Berger cookie for the Baltimore contingent. Delicious.

Not mine, but wanted to include a picture. Now I'm craving a Berger Cookie.

A local place had a bunch of Uinta on tap the other day. Tried a them and bought a growler of the Hop Notch and loved it. Also liked the Wyld Extra Pale Ale. Will get that next time I see it. Bought a bottle of Labyrinth Black Ale from Uinta too. Will break that out on New Year's Eve.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Uinta is fantastic for a bunch of Mormons. Actually bought a bottle of their Imperial Jack Pumpkin tonight. The Cockeyed Cooper Barleywine is one of my favourites.

Currently ENJOYING a Bourbon County Rye. My LORD is this fantastic beer. 5+ stars.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Had a Goose Island Sixth Day last night. Solid.

Also had a Brooklyn Winter Ale, not as good, and a Great Lakes Christmas, which was right in the middle.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I found the Goose Island anniversary beer for half price a few weeks ago. It was really, really good.

Now I have to go find a new beer for the Christmas party I'm going to Saturday.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I've always been intrigued by the Brewdogs beers, but they are usually around $8 for a single bottle, and i ain't that curious. Just saw 4-packs for $10, so I opted for the Libertine Black Ale. They described it as a hopped up stout. Definitely not getting the stout out of it, but a nice black IPA. Very nice flavors, but subdued. That isn't a bad thing at all, but I am so used to hopmonsters that this caught me off guard a bit. At a reasonable price, definitely worth it, but never for $8.

Now I am moving on to the Ballast Point Sculpin, thanks to Rush's recent post (Facebook, maybe?) of the best IPAs as rated by beer experts. For some reason whenever I'd see Ballast Point I'd get it confused with Blue Point. I've had a couple offerings from Blue Point, and they were awful. The Ballast Point Sculpin is really, really nice. As clean and smooth an IPA as anything I've had. Right there with Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Both the Sculpin and the Black Libertine are beers you could drink every day. I could see drinking a lot of the Libertine. Most beers I like I can only have one or two before I need to switch to scotch/bourbon if I am going to continue drinking. I can only take so much hops or rich Stouty goodness before I need to cut it with some whiskey.

-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote:I found the Goose Island anniversary beer for half price a few weeks ago. It was really, really good.

Now I have to go find a new beer for the Christmas party I'm going to Saturday.
I got the Bell's Xmas ale. It's good, I just haven't figured out what's in it yet and I don't want to cheat and look it up.

Also intrigued by the Arcadia Acres (I think?) triple chocolate stout I saw at the store. But it was $13 for a four pack. Got a little sticker shock so I backed off. None of the beer nerds Saturday had tried it so I'll have to be a trailblazer.