Swamp Auto Repair

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Swamp Auto Repair

Post by sancarlos »

My Ford Fusion doesn’t even come with a spare tire at all. Just some fix-a-flat type spray goop that will hopefully get you to a garage.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Buick wagon has no spare either. Wife's kia required turning a hex nut under floor mats with the jack and then it drops from bottom of car. Dumb as fuck. At night on I85 grass... No shot
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My highlanders have spares underneath. Not too bad to get out. Hyundai Accent had no spare and I’ve replaced four fucking tired on it already.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:08 am so we had to lawyer up because we found out the night of the wreck that AAA had wrongfully canceled her insurance in late 2020 claiming that she didn't have a membership.

that was patently false, of course, as the house is in both of our names and you have to have a membership to have homeowner's insurance. and she was currently active on my membership at the time of the wreck. the only thing I can think of is that they screwed up not realizing that her membership was on mine.

anyway, we are in the final stages of getting the money from his insurer and should hopefully have it soon .... and we got a letter from AAA while we were on vacation last week saying that her insurance has been reinstated with no lapse in coverage

kill me now
lol this got dumber

1. we got the car. paid way too much for it because of the chip shortage. but it's done and dusted. we're back to two cars. we've switched our home and auto to state farm

2. AAA just debited LA this month for the six-month period from Nov-May after they said they reinstated her insurance. we called the AAA office and told them that we needed to get it canceled and tried to explain the situation. they said they could only date it to the day after the wreck. we quickly agreed because

3. we immediately sent everything to the lawyer and told him that AAA was taking responsibility for insuring her when the wreck happened. it was explained to me in May by AAA that we could only claim the AAA insurance at the time if we paid the six-month balance. we decided just to not pay the balance and move on without filing an errors and omissions claim and just wash our hands of AAA. but now that they are wanting (and taking) her money for that timeframe, we're getting him involved
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So here’s a question:

Last month I discovered the front brake pads on my 2015 Altima will need replacing. They’re down inside of 20% remaining. I haven’t driven the car since then other than to start it to keep the battery alive. Which also needs replacing as it’s apparently inside of 10% juice remaining. Car’s about 6 years old, so this story checks out.

So…the car’s got 60k on it. I’ve been the primary driver and I don’t drive it hard. It’s done maybe 10-12 trips to south Florida. The rest is neighborhood to grocery / box store driving.

Is there any risk in only getting the front pads replaced, and leave the rear axle alone until say, next year?
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I guess you can't say NO risk but probably not. You'll generally know when the brake pads absolutely need to be replaced.

EDIT: Wait - I misunderstood. What's wrong with the rear axle?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:49 pm I guess you can't say NO risk but probably not. You'll generally know when the brake pads absolutely need to be replaced.

EDIT: Wait - I misunderstood. What's wrong with the rear axle?
Nothing as far as I know. I was only told the front pads need to be replaced (he mentioned to do it at the next oil change, but I’m not waiting that long considering the synthetic nature of the oil requires less changing)…

I get why it’d be a good idea to replace all pads simultaneously, but is that even necessary? I don’t wanna replace pads that have half their lives left.
Noli Timere Messorem
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:31 pm So here’s a question:

Last month I discovered the front brake pads on my 2015 Altima will need replacing. They’re down inside of 20% remaining. I haven’t driven the car since then other than to start it to keep the battery alive. Which also needs replacing as it’s apparently inside of 10% juice remaining. Car’s about 6 years old, so this story checks out.

So…the car’s got 60k on it. I’ve been the primary driver and I don’t drive it hard. It’s done maybe 10-12 trips to south Florida. The rest is neighborhood to grocery / box store driving.

Is there any risk in only getting the front pads replaced, and leave the rear axle alone until say, next year?
You should be fine. I've done the same thing on a couple of my front-wheel drive cars that I only drove locally/short trips.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:42 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:31 pm So here’s a question:

You should be fine. I've done the same thing on a couple of my front-wheel drive cars that I only drove locally/short trips.
Thanks!
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ahhhh - no that's not a problem. You'll know when a brake pad needs to be replaced. By the time it gets dangerous you will have had to actively ignore grinding for like a month.

I mean sheeeeeet there's a chance the one's in the front aren't as low as they told you.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 pm Ahhhh - no that's not a problem. You'll know when a brake pad needs to be replaced. By the time it gets dangerous you will have had to actively ignore grinding for like a month.

I mean sheeeeeet there's a chance the one's in the front aren't as low as they told you.
True. 60k-ish miles and it's not been driven hard. 2 more payments and she's mine.

I'm probably going to replace the car stereo (this used to be easy, but these integrated things make it a chore) for one that has Apple CarPlay.

There's another question. Has anybody dared to replace their in dash entertainment / logistics station with an aftermarket model?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:26 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 pm Ahhhh - no that's not a problem. You'll know when a brake pad needs to be replaced. By the time it gets dangerous you will have had to actively ignore grinding for like a month.

True. 60k-ish miles and it's not been driven hard. 2 more payments and she's mine.

I'm probably going to replace the car stereo (this used to be easy, but these integrated things make it a chore) for one that has Apple CarPlay.

There's another question. Has anybody dared to replace their in dash entertainment / logistics station with an aftermarket model?
Haven't replaced an in dash entertainment system since probably high school. It was easy enough on a 1990 Honda Accord. Also, I agree with GPJ, you'll know when you need to replace it. You definitely don't need to replace all 4 pads at the same time, but would likely want to do both of the fronts or both of the rears at the same time.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Replacing the CD unit in a 2007 Honda Civic was one of the most difficult things I've ever done.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Brake pads don’t grind, they squeak when you need to replace them. If you hear grinding, that’s your rotors and they cost way more than pads.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So between curb rash and stained-in break dust, my wheels are at a point where repairing them would probably make less sense than replacing them. I'm not sure how I'd go about getting them replaced though. The couple places I talked to told me I could find and buy the wheels myself, then take them to a shop for the work, but that sounds easier said than done. Any advice?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:17 am So between curb rash and stained-in break dust, my wheels are at a point where repairing them would probably make less sense than replacing them. I'm not sure how I'd go about getting them replaced though. The couple places I talked to told me I could find and buy the wheels myself, then take them to a shop for the work, but that sounds easier said than done. Any advice?
If you have a fairly common vehicle, you may be able to find at a salvage yard. We did that with some wheels for my wifes car a long time ago. Much cheaper than the quote from the auto place.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:17 am So between curb rash and stained-in break dust, my wheels are at a point where repairing them would probably make less sense than replacing them. I'm not sure how I'd go about getting them replaced though. The couple places I talked to told me I could find and buy the wheels myself, then take them to a shop for the work, but that sounds easier said than done. Any advice?
I've order parts from online stores with names like "genuine Honda parts" (research indicates its dealerships selling out the back door) and once through a site that sends requests to salvage yards, but I can't remember the name. Both ended up being incredibly inexpensive, but shipping wheels might be costly.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

are you buying 2 or 4 wheels?

if you're buying all four, you can get "generic" wheels for your car. if you're buying too, you should probably try to match them with the other two staying on the car. I was told this a while back when I bought new wheels after I had a bent rim
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Tirerack.com if you're replacing. They'll even ship to shops if they're on their list (and a lot are.) I don't know your type of car but if you're going generic you need to make sure they fit your cars lug pattern and the hold the curb weight of said car.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I guess spending $1400 on repairs/oil change/new battery is better than buying a new car

(I brought the car in for an oil change after discovering an oil leak. weeeee)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Seems the transmission may be all but shot on my 2013 Outback. I'm about 14K miles out of warranty.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:21 am Seems the transmission may be all but shot on my 2013 Outback. I'm about 14K miles out of warranty.
But Suburus don't die!!!
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:30 am
rass wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:21 am Seems the transmission may be all but shot on my 2013 Outback. I'm about 14K miles out of warranty.
But Suburus don't die!!!
That was the old days. The new ones don't hold up as well. I drive an impreza, my wife has an ascent. I have driven an XT, Legacy, and Outback. My XT was great. The Legacy went great, then the Outback (made in the US) had some troubles (nothing major but lots of little things). My impreza is solid but low mileage use (but surprisingly loud inside the cabin) and our ascent seems to have had a number of recalls.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Seems to be a history of Subaru engine issues in the general era/area of my car, including some recalls, but there was never an outright recall for my year/model.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Old Subaru's never die. They just go to a WNBA game and regroup.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

somewhere in my basement there's a plaque from Subaru of America certifying me as a Parts Professional.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

When my 2010 Outback turned 9 years old, we drove it over Loveland Pass in Colorado in winter.

Hit black ice, skidded into the trees, and totalled it. Without even triggering the airbags.

Used the insurance money to get a 2016 Outback.

You should look into that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I shudder to think about your bicycle recommendations.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brought my car in for an oil change at Valvoline Instant. Part of their service is testing your battery. About 10 minutes after leaving the place, I got a warning light pop up saying "Charging System Problem." Seems like more than a coincidence. I did change the battery myself about a month ago. New battery was bigger than the factory battery, but the guy at the parts store told me it was the correct one. It fit, but it was difficult to bolt the bar in place.

Brought the car to the dealership today, and they said it's a failed battery sensor. Seems like a common problem, just wondering if the oil change guys or me installing the battery could have caused the damage. The replacement sensor is fucking $490, and they don't have any in stock and waited 4 hours to order it, after the parts store closed, so I'm looking at 3 days without my car and my fucking daughter left all her soccer shit in the car, which she gets yelled at 3 times a week. Now I need to drive 40 minutes round trip to get her soccer clothes tomorrow.

On a lighter note, when I told my wife I was getting an oil change Saturday then told her last night I was bringing the car in, she said "nobody brings in cars for oil changes as much as you do, I haven't brought a car for an oil change in 20 years!" "Maybe that's because I bring in both of our cars?" "Oh, good point."
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brought the car into our trusted neighborhood (sort of) repair shop prior to driving down to GA a few weeks back. Got the oil changed and the wanted me to spend $700 on brakes, but I told them to hold off (this isn't really relevant to anything.

Got back and noticed that on our tilted driveway, their appeared to be an oil leak. When parked level, no leak.

Anyways, brought it in today and, yep, they installed the wrong size plug/part. Replaced it at no charge.

So, that was nice, if not kind of a PITA to deal with on a Monday.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sybian, how often does your wife think the oil needs to be changed?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:58 pm Sybian, how often does your wife think the oil needs to be changed?
whenever I tell her it does, or the light comes on. She has no clue. I do get her surprise as I brought it in Saturday then told her last night I was bringing it in. I also needed transmission fluid replaced, and the oil change guys couldn't do it. I had two decent drives trips weekend, and put off the oil change for a couple weeks, didn't want to risk running out completely. Had that happen once when I had a leak. Light came on for low oil, I figured I could make it home. Engine seized in the middle land of I-78 during rush hour. Not fun trying to get to the shoulder while coasting and everything shuts down. Even the power steering. Can't come back from a seized engine...
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Went to go pick up a dinner at Jersey Mikes earlier this evening and noticed when I got back into the Rogue (2019) the display said "Chassis Control System Error."

So that's a generic error message that could mean one of dozens of issues with a car that has about 15k miles on it.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I have contemplated getting one of the obd devices to read errors like this. They are cheap.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:47 am I have contemplated getting one of the obd devices to read errors like this. They are cheap.
Hell yes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:43 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:47 am I have contemplated getting one of the obd devices to read errors like this. They are cheap.

I have seen ones way cheaper than $120. Seems like price point closer to $40 is common
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hey all you DC area folk. Got any recommendations on good auto shops? Kid probably needs to get a oil change and have a general look over soon and I don't really want to take it somewhere sketchy.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My place is out in MoCo... All Brands Auto Repair. See above for just one example of the opposite of shady from a repair shop. My wife's family (including us) have been going there for 30+ years. Straight as an arrow shop, but probably not super convenient for your daughter.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:27 am Hey all you DC area folk. Got any recommendations on good auto shops? Kid probably needs to get a oil change and have a general look over soon and I don't really want to take it somewhere sketchy.
For my old Subaru XT, my go-to guy was this place. The guy is actually Japanese. He whttps://www.yelp.com/biz/japanese-auto-care-arlington

Also have had good experiences finding recommendations here
https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:51 am
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:43 am

I have seen ones way cheaper than $120. Seems like price point closer to $40 is common
Make sure it's ODB II and not ODB I