The OFFICIAL Irony thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Re: The OFFICIAL Irony thread

Post by Baloney »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:47 pm Interesting. Maybe the same thing always happens for migrant vessels but the attention/framing is different.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Not irony, just proof that many, many people in the world are utter cunts.

On Wednesday, a guy drowned swimming the channel between England and France to raise money for charity, first reported on the BBC today...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BBC reporting that the "debris" includes the landing frame and a piece of the rear cover of the sub.

Presser at 3p.

The guy on BBC is in firsthand contact with members of the crew that have seen the images themselves. He was friends with 2 of the passengers.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The one thing I will say of the coverage: I've read enough and seen enough of the experts to come to the conclusion that this was a hull breach (or something structural) and all of this countdown to their air supply being depleted was just... Look, I get it, they don't want to be negative or morbid.

But you've got millions of ppl wringing their hands over oxygen when the probability that they died fairly quickly the day they went down is extremely high.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:13 pm
Livvy should really rizz that kid up and beg him to go to LSU.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That is one of the greatest headlines I have ever seen.

And now that it's clear that the passengers are all mingling with Titanic victims in heaven, I just have to ask - even if you are filthy rich, shouldn't you do some due diligence before dropping $250 k to travel to the bottom of the ocean?
Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:11 pmLivvy should really rizz that kid up and beg him to go to LSU.
He’s 36 and has been arrested (maybe imprisoned?) for threats against female DJs.

🥤🦆
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Odds on it imploding at the wreck site and. Now they’ve fucked that up worse than breaking in half did?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:34 pm
And now that it's clear that the passengers are all mingling with Titanic victims in heaven
You know, I was thinking about this the other day; if you suffocated in a submersible two miles under water, can your soul escape to get to heaven?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:23 pm
And now that it's clear that the passengers are all mingling with Titanic victims in heaven
You know, I was thinking about this the other day; if you suffocated in a submersible two miles under water, can your soul escape to get to heaven?
I don’t think they suffocated in the traditional sense. As in, their bodies collapsed immediately depending on depth. But I suppose that detail may never be surmised outside of finding something substantial that was intact.

ETA: your hypothetical scenario is certainly possible. But heaven or hell I reckon once I leave this body it won’t matter all that much.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

They're awake now and there's nothing you can do about it. Coming for Jersey first. Not to be an asshole to Syb that just where theyre going.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m never gonna not think this is funny and not gonna apologize for it. Only thing funnier would have been Bezos blowing himself up going to space but only because that was on live TV
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Dan Crenshaw knows who is really responsible...

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Looking good, Long John Forehead.

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Between this and the crypto bro crashing out on Jeopardy!, this has been a good week for the proletariat.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:39 pm They're awake now and there's nothing you can do about it. Coming for Jersey first. Not to be an asshole to Syb that just where theyre going.
Orcas have been in Jersey for years. Someone didn't watch Jersey Shore.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:17 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:23 pm
I don’t think they suffocated in the traditional sense. As in, their bodies collapsed immediately depending on depth. But I suppose that detail may never be surmised outside of finding something substantial that was intact.

ETA: your hypothetical scenario is certainly possible. But heaven or hell I reckon once I leave this body it won’t matter all that much.
Everyone knows souls go to heaven when a submarine collapses and the people are crushed, and I know that’s likely how they died. (Although I think the Bible said something about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven, so they may be fucked). But if people ran out of air in a sub, can their souls escape an air locked, pressurized sub? The Bible doesn’t provide answers! Not that I’ve ever read it, but safe assumption.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Put it down after the first few chapters, I guess?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:46 am Looking good, Long John Forehead.

I'm old enough to remember when liberals were insisting that the government pay employers to keep their employees on during the pandemic.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Giff wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:32 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:39 pm They're awake now and there's nothing you can do about it. Coming for Jersey first. Not to be an asshole to Syb that just where theyre going.
Don’t make me go down there, kidnap you, and bring you to the mean streets of North Orange.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:05 am
Giff wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:32 am
Don’t make me go down there, kidnap you, and bring you to the mean streets of North Orange.
You can just buy the plane ticket!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:42 amI'm old enough to remember when liberals were insisting that the government pay employers to keep their employees on during the pandemic.
As someone who came from multi-generational wealth with a reported net worth in eight figures, he A.) probably didn't need the loan or B.) could have paid it back.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:41 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:42 amI'm old enough to remember when liberals were insisting that the government pay employers to keep their employees on during the pandemic.
As someone who came from multi-generational wealth with a reported net worth in eight figures, he A.) probably didn't need the loan or B.) could have paid it back.
Sure, and I supposed I could have "afforded" to pay out of pocket to keep my receptionist and secretary employed. But if I had to do it out of my pocket, I wouldn't have done it. I'm glad to give to charity, but not to that extent.

The point of PPP was that the government was going to pay employers to keep people employed. The loans were offered and accepted with the expectation that they would be forgiven. In other words, they weren't loans. They were subsidies. There was no expectation that anyone would pay the loans back unless they failed to do what the program required. Because we all wanted employers to keep people employed at a time when the entire society was undergoing major upheaval and there was a legitimate fear that the economy would collapse.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve, I think his point is that a lot of people got loans who didn’t need them or deserve them.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:25 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:41 am
Sure, and I supposed I could have "afforded" to pay out of pocket to keep my receptionist and secretary employed. But if I had to do it out of my pocket, I wouldn't have done it. I'm glad to give to charity, but not to that extent.

The point of PPP was that the government was going to pay employers to keep people employed. The loans were offered and accepted with the expectation that they would be forgiven. In other words, they weren't loans. They were subsidies. There was no expectation that anyone would pay the loans back unless they failed to do what the program required. Because we all wanted employers to keep people employed at a time when the entire society was undergoing major upheaval and there was a legitimate fear that the economy would collapse.
And I guarantee you they were against the stimulus checks to those who needed them as well.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don't have a problem with those PPP loans because I think they helped a lot of companies. But I do have a problem with getting a PPP loan and then acting like people that need assistance more regularly are a blight on society.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:25 pmSure, and I supposed I could have "afforded" to pay out of pocket to keep my receptionist and secretary employed. But if I had to do it out of my pocket, I wouldn't have done it.
I'm sure they'd love to read this.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:26 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:37 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:25 pmSure, and I supposed I could have "afforded" to pay out of pocket to keep my receptionist and secretary employed. But if I had to do it out of my pocket, I wouldn't have done it.
Our receptionist knows that she was able to keep getting paychecks even though she wasn't coming into the office and she wasn't receiving anyone.

Our secretaries also know that they kept receiving full checks even though their workloads dropped by about half for several months.
mister d wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:37 pm
Our receptionist knows that she was able to keep getting paychecks even though she didn't come into the office for several months (and so she wasn't receiving anyone).

Our secretaries also know that they kept receiving full checks even though their workloads dropped by about half for several months.
sancarlos wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:26 pm Steve, I think his point is that a lot of people got loans who didn’t need them or deserve them.
That probably is the point - but it misunderstands the whole point of PPP. PPP was not intended to help businesses. So whether a business "needed assistance" doesn't matter.

PPP was designed to keep people employed when everything was going to shit. It was the government paying employers to keep their employees on payroll. Not the government lending employers money to keep employees on payroll.

It was a great success. It was a great liberal success. We avoided major economic collapse, and between PPP and various other Covid relief programs, the poverty rate in the US actually went down. And if we run into another situation like that, we should do it again. But if business owners are going to be called freeloaders for participating in the program, that provides a disincentive to participate the next time around.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The rub is the fact that employers would have kept 2/3 of the employees but got paid for all of them. That goes straight into owners pockets particularly those for whom revenues not tied to in person transactions. The good part was it happened quick but too quick to avoid waste and there was already the unemployment benefits which were slower but effective. Too effective and combination more or less added turbo boost to inflation such that housing is all but unaffordable now and the labor market has been not good enough for long enough that employers and consumers behaviors changing to compensate for less and less competent employment. Even if inflation is now trending to normalcy, fair to ask in retrospect whether the economy would have been better off with a less aggressive policy. Regardless serious questions about the length of government stimulus policy. That said the mind really does forget COVID days fast. Better check the 100 page thread
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:52 pm The rub is the fact that employers would have kept 2/3 of the employees but got paid for all of them. That goes straight into owners pockets particularly those for whom revenues not tied to in person transactions. The good part was it happened quick but too quick to avoid waste and there was already the unemployment benefits which were slower but effective. Too effective and combination more or less added turbo boost to inflation such that housing is all but unaffordable now and the labor market has been not good enough for long enough that employers and consumers behaviors changing to compensate for less and less competent employment. Even if inflation is now trending to normalcy, fair to ask in retrospect whether the economy would have been better off with a less aggressive policy. Regardless serious questions about the length of government stimulus policy. That said the mind really does forget COVID days fast. Better check the 100 page thread
I think I get what you are saying but also I might need a 100 page explainer.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Defacto rent deferrals a big factor too. Closing of courts and CDC eviction barriers went a long way towards housing inflation. Same with federal cares act rental payments. Govt paid and mandated a lot of free rents for a long time. Any sane landlord would increase rents by 20% just on those factors
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Eviction filings are 50% higher than they were pre-pandemic in some cities as rents rise
At the same time, rent prices nationwide are up about 5% from a year ago and 30.5% above 2019, according to the real estate company Zillow. There are few places for displaced tenants to go, with the National Low Income Housing Coalition estimating a 7.3 million shortfall of affordable units nationwide.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:49 am Eviction filings are 50% higher than they were pre-pandemic in some cities as rents rise
At the same time, rent prices nationwide are up about 5% from a year ago and 30.5% above 2019, according to the real estate company Zillow. There are few places for displaced tenants to go, with the National Low Income Housing Coalition estimating a 7.3 million shortfall of affordable units nationwide.
Yeah it’s gotten crazy here. We’re having our 20yo daughter move into the condo I inherited from my mom because there’s no practical way for her to rent a place on her own.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

We're seeing this trying to find a place for my son near Penn. Rents are super high.

My vague understanding of this ongoing housing issue is that it's in large part due to Airbnb. You have companies buying up houses, apartments, condos, etc. in cities so they can rent them out on Airbnb. This is creating a housing shortage and driving up prices. I haven't checked, but I bet you're seeing an opposite downward pressure on hotel room prices as they have so much more competition now.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Meh. Not saying the short-term residences aren't messing with the rental market, not sure it's having a major impact on the hospitality industry. Obviously just anecdotal, but I've spent a lot of time booking hotel space the last 2 months and rates sure didn't seem lower than they normally are. (We've booked in Denver many many times over the years, plus places that we've tended to stay while driving back and forth.)