The Punchable Faces Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: The Punchable Faces Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:07 amThe folks on Hang Up and Listen went after him pretty hard. One of the folks used NBC's inaction as a jumping off point on pointing to NBC's targeting of NFL to conservative America (Country music intro, etc). A bit of jumping off point but one thing to have a personal opinion. Another to spout untrue propaganda.
I agree wholeheartedly with everything Joel Anderson said at the beginning of the segment.

Outsports' Cyd Ziegler had a two-parter on Dungy a couple weeks ago, the second of which is in significant part a series of links to support.

Part 1: NFL broadcasters Tony Dungy and James Brown are featured speakers at outspoken anti-gay preacher’s event
Tony Dungy and James Brown — two main faces of NFL coverage by NBC and CBS — have for years been featured speakers at an event hosted by rabidly anti-gay Christian evangelist Andrew Wommack, who has equated being gay to murder, among many other statements.

The duo will again support Wommack’s ministry this March at an event called “Men’s Advance.” The event is hosted by Wommack at his Charis Bible College in Colorado. The evangelist and his college advance anti-gay and anti-trans beliefs — among other priorities — claiming to root them in Christian doctrine.

Dungy has for years publicly advocated against gay rights. In 2006 — then the successful head coach of the Indianapolis Colts — Dungy raised money to oppose marriage equality for same-sex couples. He has spoken out against gay NBA player Jason Collins’ “lifestyle” and said he wouldn’t want gay player Michael Sam on his team, despite advocating for federally convicted dog-murderer Michael Vick and indicted alleged woman-beater Ray Rice.
Part 2: What to make of Tony Dungy’s anti-gay present and past, and NBC’s choice to remain silent
NBC’s embrace of Dungy — and their complete silence — despite his clear and long-standing association with anti-gay positions, is in contrast to the public actions and statements other networks and organizations have made in similar situations.

The Cincinnati Reds fired longtime broadcaster Thom Brennaman for a flippant anti-gay slur caught on a hot mic. Despite Brennaman’s apology and years-long embrace of the LGBT community, that one moment has upended his career.

Curt Schilling was quickly fired by ESPN after the World Series champion posted an unflattering image of someone he called transgender and publicly spoke out against trans people.

Yet it’s the demise of the broadcast career of Craig James that parallels Dungy the best (sans Hall of Fame career). James was fired by Fox Sports for speaking out against same-sex marriage years ago.

Dungy has avoided any of that, despite also speaking out against same-sex marriage and decrying homosexuality as a “lifestyle” he doesn’t agree with.
Dungy is a fucking bigot. If he had a public opinion of another minority group, whether people from a specific nation, race, or religion, this wouldn't even be a question. He's a fucking bigot, full stop.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Is it pointing to an elephant in the room to mention that Dungy and James Brown are Black?

Firing them might open a whole different discussion.
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, I'll just state the obvious, which is lots of black people are bigots. Lots of people are bigots.

You know where I'm going with that...

It's indefensible to employ those guys at this point. I had no idea, so thanks for sharing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's even more infuriating when the suicide rate among these marginalized groups are higher and this fucker lost a kid to suicide. You'd think he'd be somewhat more sympathetic, but he's the guy who literally copied and pasted his "apology" so fuck him all the way to hell.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:51 am Is it pointing to an elephant in the room to mention that Dungy and James Brown are Black?

If you put in the statement of his firing why you are firing him and leave no doubt instead of the boilerplate "going in a different direction/wish him well", it shouldn't be a real problem.

If you don't fire him because you're afraid the right-wing outrage machine is going to turn people against you, you're part of the problem.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:40 am It's even more infuriating when the suicide rate among these marginalized groups are higher and this fucker lost a kid to suicide. You'd think he'd be somewhat more sympathetic, but he's the guy who literally copied and pasted his "apology" so fuck him all the way to hell.
I'm not remotely surprised that he doesn't see the connection between his (and others) anti-LGBTQ comments and suicide rates in the LGBTQ community. Dungy has very rigid biblical "Christian" beliefs. He has a long history if say deplorable (in my opinion) things and supporting groups that I strongly oppose. I'm sure Dungy views gay and transgendered people as sinners or mentally ill and thinks he is acting in their best interest so they can live as he believes God intended. Intentions are irrelevant and I would fire him, but I'm not surprised by his lack of awareness.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:51 am Is it pointing to an elephant in the room to mention that Dungy and James Brown are Black?

They should partner Dungy with a LGBTQ racist for the 2023 season.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:40 amIt's even more infuriating when the suicide rate among these marginalized groups are higher and this fucker lost a kid to suicide.
To change means admitting you might have been wrong in the past. Never going to happen.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:57 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:40 amIt's even more infuriating when the suicide rate among these marginalized groups are higher and this fucker lost a kid to suicide.
To change means admitting you might have been wrong in the past. Never going to happen.
And one thing about true believers is that they see black and they see white (not a racial reference). If it's not in the scripture, then it's wrong.
Canadian International
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:53 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:57 pm
And one thing about true believers is that they see black and they see white (not a racial reference). If it's not in the scripture, then it's wrong.
They often interpret the text (or only adhere to certain parts while disregarding others) so that it matches their specific desires.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's my problem. If you find me someone who adheres 100% to the literal writings, I'll think they're an idiot but I'll judge them far less than someone who carves out little hatred niches while ignoring other stuff.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:15 pm That's my problem. If you find me someone who adheres 100% to the literal writings, I'll think they're an idiot but I'll judge them far less than someone who carves out little hatred niches while ignoring other stuff.
10-15 years ago a guy tried to spend a year living exactly by the word off the Bible and wrote a book about it. Pretty ridiculous and funny, Living Biblically maybe? I think they tried to turn it into a sitcom which seemed like a horrible idea.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:19 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:15 pm That's my problem. If you find me someone who adheres 100% to the literal writings, I'll think they're an idiot but I'll judge them far less than someone who carves out little hatred niches while ignoring other stuff.
10-15 years ago a guy tried to spend a year living exactly by the word off the Bible and wrote a book about it. Pretty ridiculous and funny, Living Biblically maybe? I think they tried to turn it into a sitcom which seemed like a horrible idea.
Did he stone anybody?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:22 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:19 pm
Did he stone anybody?
Great question. can’t remember how he got around committing crimes.
-Pruitt
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

This is in some way similar to how I feel about anti-abortion folks who agree with exceptions for rape and incest. That has nothing to do with the sanctity of life and only exists destroy bodily autonomy for women. All anti-abortion positions are bad, but at least the no-exceptions people are more consistent.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Agreed (and sure I’ve said exactly that here before).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I mean consistently awful, but I agree for sure.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It atleast implies they really believe a fetus is a baby.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We mean Whitlock right?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yes.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Sports commentator for The Blaze?

Someone's career is in freefall.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:51 am Sports commentator for The Blaze?

Someone's career is in freefall.
I had no idea The Blaze still existed. Glenn Beck disappearing from my consciousness is a beautiful thing, although his level of crazy is cute in light of where politics and RW media are today.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Curt Schilling gets out his dog whistle and blows hard!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 7.48.33 PM (1).png
Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 7.48.33 PM (1).png (220.75 KiB) Viewed 276 times
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Female rock legends not ‘articulate’ enough for Rolling Stone founder
The subject of the interview was Wenner’s new book, “The Masters,” which consists of long-ranging conversations between Wenner and the musicians he finds to be giants in their field, plucked from several decades of Wenner’s tenure at Rolling Stone. Luminaries like Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Jerry Garcia.

The “masters” are all White men. Not a woman or person of color among them. That in itself is noteworthy, but the eye-popping part of the New York Times article happened when the interviewer asked Wenner to explain why.

“Insofar as the women,” Wenner responded, “just none of them were as articulate enough on this intellectual level.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I read some excerpts from that interview and ... holy shit. What an asshole.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:20 am Yeah, I read some excerpts from that interview and ... holy shit. What an asshole.
A great response from fellow RnR HOF board member Troy Carter: TROY CARTER TO WENNER: "YOUR VIEWS... ARE CANCEROUS SEEDS"
We can't change what was said, but we can learn from it and take steps to ensure that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is an institution that truly honors the breadth and depth of contributions to music. I’ve included a few links to interviews so you can educate yourself on artistic articulation. Nina and Joni would run circles around you on their worst day. It’s always difficult when a board removes a founder, but in this case, it’s easy. Kick rocks, buddy.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Went to watch a local high school game and this kid was such a punk. Should've had two techs and finally got benched by his coach after he shushed the crowd when a teammate cut the lead to 11. I'm not real proud of my reaction after he got called for a foul on a fast break layup for an and-1.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Central casting to play the bully in an 80s teen movie.
Last edited by The Sybian on Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Texas is weird.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shushing a crowd when a teammate cuts a lead to 11? The hell with punching him; if you really want to do damage everyone should've just pointed to him and laughed at him. He'd remember that on his deathbed.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Counterpoint, he's a HS kid?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, this feels like some kind of pervert shit unless he's like a top 100?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I mean I give everyone here the benefit of the doubt so I wouldn't be quite that harsh but yeah...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I guess you had to be there.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

In Texas!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don't really understand the pervert angle, but admittedly when I see punk high school athletes being punks, my first thought isn't peverted.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I would like to add that if this message board existed in 1990 and someone who posted here was in the crowd that saw me bow to them after hitting the front end of a 1-and-1, I hope they would have posted about me as well. And I was in 7th grade. And HOT.