Home Repairs - EXTREME Live Swamping Edition

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Home Repairs - EXTREME Live Swamping Edition

Post by rass »

Kitchen faucet.

I had to replace the cartridge back in the Spring(?). It was so difficult to get the old one out, between rust and hard water residue, that everything didn't go back together quite right. Very loose. I'm also willing to admit culpability in that.

Anyway, it finally started to give way for real yesterday, so it figure it's time to replace the entire faucet. I get under the sink and coupling nut for the spray hose line (right in the middle below) is just flat out rusted to the faucet stem and perhaps the sink basin, too.

I tried WD40-ing it, but the basin is in the way and I really can't get to it with a wrench. I don't have a basin wrench. So, should I try getting one, even though it may not help, or instead remove the entire basin, free the nut, replace the faucet, and then reinstall the basin?

I took the day off to handle this. I'll let you know how it goes, raw and uncut. Running subplot will be that I need to turn off the water in the house, and I had bran flakes for breakfast and still need to have my coffee.

Step 1: walk the dog

Be right back. I may run to Lowes if the consensus is hat I just give that a try....
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs - EXTREME Live Swamping Edition

Post by Brontoburglar »

I just bought a framed print of your sink from Photobucket
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I did this at the last place and needed a basin wrench. Its a very shitty and unfun job and I don't think you'll be able to properly tighten the faucet solo.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:I did this at the last place and needed a basin wrench. Its a very shitty and unfun job and I don't think you'll be able to properly tighten the faucet solo.
I was able to get the hot and cold lines off (and back on). Though, I guess I never turned the water lines back on for the sink, did I... I'll give a shot.

New plan: make coffee, take it to Lowes, buy basin wrench, hopefully clear my morning shit when I get back before the water goes off.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Good luck.

I could use some advice - hanging a heavy mirror on drywall. Any advice/experiences to share?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote:Good luck.

I could use some advice - hanging a heavy mirror on drywall. Any advice/experiences to share?
Buy toggle bolts and use them instead of drywall anchors.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0 ... 05,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

$25 poorer, I'm back. I had the checkout lady at Lowes with the worst drawn on eyebrows ever:

I've seen her before, she apparently gets up every morning and decides yeah, I'm scribbling these on again! And she's young! I don't get it. Tattoos?

About to crawl under the sink. How do plumbers work into their 50s and beyond? I'm struggling with a bit of a cold, but laying on the floor and propping yourself up in odd positions to exert yourself is like hard.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shit like this is why there are professionals rather than everyone learning how to do it for those 2-3 times in their life it'll come up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

As mentioned last week in the general Home Repairs thread, I'm secure enough to realize that.

This just (A) seems like it shouldn't be too bad and (B) seems like such a small job that finding someone reputable to come and take our money to do it for us might not be easy.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Water is going off...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Don't get rust in your eye.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Holy shit it worked!!!

And goggles, yeah.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:Water is going off...
Open up another faucet in the house to make sure as much of the water is out of the system as possible.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote:
rass wrote:Water is going off...
Open up another faucet in the house to make sure as much of the water is out of the system as possible.
Yeah, I forgot to do that yesterday.

And to be honest, I almost forgot to turn the water off at all this morning, because I posted that from the toilet and walked by the valve, upstairs to the sink before I realized what I had (not) done.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gonna tie that shit to my hood.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

OK, speedbump.

I bought a three hole faucet assuming I could reuse/connect my existing spray hose. That does not appear to be the case. Need to go make a swap. Had to go to go to the huge Home Depot on the other side of town for the faucet because the selection at the nearer by Lowes sucked.

Be back in a bit. This might kill my hopes of salvaging a 1/2 day at work.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:OK, speedbump.

I bought a three hole faucet assuming I could reuse/connect my existing spray hose. That does not appear to be the case. Need to go make a swap. Had to go to go to the huge Home Depot on the other side of town for the faucet because the selection at the nearer by Lowes sucked.

Be back in a bit. This might kill my hopes of salvaging a 1/2 day at work.

My favorite joke that my buddy and I go back and forth with during DIY projects is every reciept from HD/Lowes should say at the bottom "Thank you for shopping with us! We will see your dumbass again in 45 minutes!"

I've maybe had 1 project ever where only one trip was needed.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Good luck.

Buy toggle bolts and use them instead of drywall anchors.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0 ... 05,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Excellent.

Much obliged.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote:I've maybe had 1 project ever where only one trip was needed.
Like 2 stupid little moving projects (one was planting a 6 foot tree) and packing led to a half dozen trips. It was infuriating.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

The best is when you don't have truck, and you've measured and are sure the thing you're buying can fit in the car trunk with the backseats down, and then it doesn't and your stuck standing there in the parking lot with a prehung door hanging 6 feet out of your trunk.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:
BSF21 wrote:I've maybe had 1 project ever where only one trip was needed.
Like 2 stupid little moving projects (one was planting a 6 foot tree) and packing led to a half dozen trips. It was infuriating.
My most recent one was to replace the guts of my guest bath's toilet. Got everything preped and ready, water off and drained and realized the water off valve was bad, but no problem, we hadn't even gone to the HD yet.

Got to HD, buy "universal toilet gut kit" and new valve. Come home. Valve wrong, but disassemble valve and make it work, need new connector, +1 trip, get back, "universal" toilet kit not universal to toilet from 1970something. Decide to replace entire upper, as it will be cheaper and easier than trying to retrofit. +1 trip for that. Get back, finally get everything together. 25 minute project takes 3 hours.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

travzilla wrote:The best is when you don't have truck, and you've measured and are sure the thing you're buying can fit in the car trunk with the backseats down, and then it doesn't and your stuck standing there in the parking lot with a prehung door hanging 6 feet out of your trunk.
What kind of car are you driving that you thought any prehung door would fit in there? That's a good time to walk back inside and rent that truck they have for 20$ an hour and take the door home and the truck back right quick. woof.

travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

BSF21 wrote:
travzilla wrote:The best is when you don't have truck, and you've measured and are sure the thing you're buying can fit in the car trunk with the backseats down, and then it doesn't and your stuck standing there in the parking lot with a prehung door hanging 6 feet out of your trunk.
What kind of car are you driving that you thought any prehung door would fit in there? That's a good time to walk back inside and rent that truck they have for 20$ an hour and take the door home and the truck back right quick. woof.
Kia Forte. Actually just had to take the cardboard packaging off the side, and it slid in enough to only hang out the back about a foot, which was fine for the 10 minute drive.
Installing it on the other hand... I think i shimmed that thing in every combination of sides and could never get it square. It's comical how angry I get when things don't work the way I want perfectly on the first try.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

travzilla wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Kia Forte. Actually just had to take the cardboard packaging off the side, and it slid in enough to only hang out the back about a foot, which was fine for the 10 minute drive.
Installing it on the other hand... I think i shimmed that thing in every combination of sides and could never get it square. It's comical how angry I get when things don't work the way I want perfectly on the first try.
I put a new front door in last year. Talk with my pops and he told me to pay someone to do it. My best friend is an engineer and DIY nut told he was positive we could do it.

We could do it.

Over the course of about 13 hours over 2 days. And it's still not technically finished, as I haven't painted the trim on it yet and the caulk job looks terrible. Never again.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Back, net $35 poorer.

I runwalked into the store because there were two other people carrying shit with them that appeared to be return candidates. Ended up next in line. On my way out, the return line was four deep at each register. Today has been full of small victories.

If my quick glance to the left was accurate, there is a pretty bad accident on 78 W (express lanes?) through Union. Lots of emergency vehicles.

mister d - a perhaps too large BBQ sign is currently being hung over the storefront formally known as the WF Corner Table.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oops.....
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:Oops.....
Directions unclear. Dick stuck in faucet.

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I will never replace a kitchen faucet and/or sink again in my life. In the last house I did it three times. The first was right after moving in. No problem. Worked like a champ for seven years. Started getting a bit wobbly, but nothing major. Then we redid the counter tops and got a new basin. Got a new faucet to go along with the new basin. No problem installing the basin (besides having a hell of a time tightening it down). The faucet on the other hand was awful to install. Tightened that bitch down like no tomorrow, but for the life of me could not get that damn thing to not wobble. Well at least it wasn't leaking. Four months later, my oldest turned it on and then handle broke. So I am going to say it was faulty the entire time. Last one I put in was working when we sold this summer. I vowed to myself never again.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote:
rass wrote:Oops.....
Directions unclear. Dick stuck in faucet.
Almost. Left a piece (diverter for spray hose) in the box. Things got wet.

All done, I think...
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I was planning to watch a documentary about Bronies today, but this looks more compelling. I was promised 'raw and uncut,' so hopefully there will be topless rass pics later. Fingers crossed for sweaty.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

duff wrote:I will never replace a kitchen faucet and/or sink again in my life. In the last house I did it three times. The first was right after moving in. No problem. Worked like a champ for seven years. Started getting a bit wobbly, but nothing major. Then we redid the counter tops and got a new basin. Got a new faucet to go along with the new basin. No problem installing the basin (besides having a hell of a time tightening it down). The faucet on the other hand was awful to install. Tightened that bitch down like no tomorrow, but for the life of me could not get that damn thing to not wobble. Well at least it wasn't leaking. Four months later, my oldest turned it on and then handle broke. So I am going to say it was faulty the entire time. Last one I put in was working when we sold this summer. I vowed to myself never again.
After the cartridge replacement but before this repair, I fought a losing battle to have the kids wash their hands anywhere but the kitchen for the love of god please.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

duff wrote:I will never replace a kitchen faucet and/or sink again in my life. In the last house I did it three times. The first was right after moving in. No problem. Worked like a champ for seven years. Started getting a bit wobbly, but nothing major. Then we redid the counter tops and got a new basin. Got a new faucet to go along with the new basin. No problem installing the basin (besides having a hell of a time tightening it down). The faucet on the other hand was awful to install. Tightened that bitch down like no tomorrow, but for the life of me could not get that damn thing to not wobble. Well at least it wasn't leaking. Four months later, my oldest turned it on and then handle broke. So I am going to say it was faulty the entire time. Last one I put in was working when we sold this summer. I vowed to myself never again.
That's why Mrs. Sabo and I hired someone to do our kitchen remodel, which starts next week. We're gutting everything (including knocking down part of a wall) and replacing everything with new stuff. It won't be cheap but we're planning on staying in this house for the rest of our lives, so we wanted to get things done the way we wanted them. I can't wait for this process to be finished.

Pro tip: If you're going to remodel any part of your house and your spouse/partner is a graphic designer, let them make all color decisions because everything you recommend will have some sort of fatal flaw. Trust me on this.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Sabo wrote:
That's why Mrs. Sabo and I hired someone to do our kitchen remodel, which starts next week. We're gutting everything (including knocking down part of a wall) and replacing everything with new stuff. It won't be cheap but we're planning on staying in this house for the rest of our lives, so we wanted to get things done the way we wanted them. I can't wait for this process to be finished.

Pro tip: If you're going to remodel any part of your house and your spouse/partner is a graphic designer, let them make all color decisions because everything you recommend will have some sort of fatal flaw. Trust me on this.
That is why the new house has a newly remodeled kitchen and master bath. We couldn't have picked it out better ourselves.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:mister d - a perhaps too large BBQ sign is currently being hung over the storefront formally known as the WF Corner Table.
Its been open for a few weeks now. Inexplicable decision.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:
rass wrote:mister d - a perhaps too large BBQ sign is currently being hung over the storefront formally known as the WF Corner Table.
Its been open for a few weeks now. Inexplicable decision.
Yeah, I was in the store once but didn't try it. You?

And given the size of the new sign, the change is semi-permanent.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife likes the faucet, so I guess I'm good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:Yeah, I was in the store once but didn't try it. You?
Just beer. I have not ordered once when I would have before because I didn't want (1) BBQ or (2) supermarket BBQ.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sabo wrote:That's why Mrs. Sabo and I hired someone to do our kitchen remodel, which starts next week. We're gutting everything (including knocking down part of a wall) and replacing everything with new stuff. It won't be cheap but we're planning on staying in this house for the rest of our lives, so we wanted to get things done the way we wanted them. I can't wait for this process to be finished.

This looks like a bad combination.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Nah, it's good. The only thing we still have decide on is a light fixture over the eating area in the kitchen. We'll either get a small ceiling fan or a regular light. Other than it it's just a matter of getting everything going.

But there were certain times during this process where I wish I was getting a root canal instead.