Official MLB Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Official MLB Offseason Thread

Post by mister d »

May as well start this off with a bang ... Daniel Norris has thyroid cancer.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Official MLB Offseason Thread

Post by howard »

Well, he delayed surgery since the spring, until after the season, so must be the good kind of cancer. Most thyroid cancer is extremely treatable.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

When I heard he was living in his VW van in a Wal-mart parking lot, he instantly became my favorite player. Then a few years later, the Tigers got him in the Price deal. So there is/are a god(s)/(dess)(s).

It's been a long time since I had a deep interest in one player. Probably going back to Gibson in the early 80s, when he was easily the biggest bust in baseball. My office door was covered with newspaper columns and stories about his latest apocalyptic failure, on and off the field, taped there by my fellow baseball fans at work.

My favorite in the off-the-field category were the stories about Gibson going to a bar with his girlfriend's dad to watch her strip. That might be colorful if you're winning the World Series while walking on one leg. But when he was hitting .225 again and breaking bats after striking out, it was fodder for the bleacher creatures when Gibson trotted to the outfield. It's hard to believe that Gibson now has Parkinson's. And, yes, he did marry that girlfriend; I think they're together still.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I have to assume it was disclosed to the Tigers in the Price trade so probably not a big deal. Which is great for everyone. I love the kid and did even when he was a Blue Jay. Nothing but good thoughts.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Barry Zito retired. Just wanted to bring this up because I always thought "Barry Zito" was the least likely name for a sports star. Sounds like a shady talent agent from the 1930s.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'd like to hear a clip of Bob Sheppard announcing his name. That must have sounded cool.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Jon Heyman is reporting on Twitter that Don Mattingly and the Dodgers have parted ways.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I think they should hire Dusty Baker.

I am serious. He would be a perfect fit for that team.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Since Sabathia to the Yankees, I've never been more positive of a team change free agent than Jason Heyward to the Cubs. Just makes waaaaaaay too much sense on every single level.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:Since Sabathia to the Yankees, I've never been more positive of a team change free agent than Jason Heyward to the Cubs. Just makes waaaaaaay too much sense on every single level.
FWIW, there's an emerging consensus among the St. Louis sports media that the Cardinals will be willing to break the bank to keep Heyward. Especially since Holliday struggled so badly down the stretch and the plan seems to be to play Piscotty at first. Who knows if Heyward wants to stay in St. Louis but I wouldn't assume that he'll get a much higher offer to go elsewhere.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:Since Sabathia to the Yankees, I've never been more positive of a team change free agent than Jason Heyward to the Cubs. Just makes waaaaaaay too much sense on every single level.
I was coming in here to ask about that. Any downside for the Cubs? Can he cover the entire outfield while Schwarber learns left field on the job and Soler stands in right?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In my scenario, Soler is the one who goes to bring back some pitching. I might feel ok with Heyward in CF, but not flanked by those two.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I think that in exchange for a reliable #3 starter, the Cubs could let the other team choose between Soler, Baez, and Castro. If the Cubs lose Soler, they could move Bryant to right. He's athletic enough that with some practice, he could be at least serviceable out there.

With Schwarber, obviously a great bat, but unless the NL adopts the DH soon, he will have to learn on the job. I guess the original plan was for him to take a few years in the minors to learn a position, but he hit so damn well they had to call him up.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't imagine Castro bringing much value back at this point. $38MM over 4 years isn't crazy money, but its high enough that its more on the "agree to take" side than the "line up for" side. Baez should be the 2B in the most erotic young IF in forever.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:I can't imagine Castro bringing much value back at this point. $38MM over 4 years isn't crazy money, but its high enough that its more on the "agree to take" side than the "line up for" side. Baez should be the 2B in the most erotic young IF in forever.
I'm hoping someone thinks highly of him. He had an OPS+ of 115 last season, and an OPS+ of 112 for the second half of this season. And he showed himself to be a team player with the way he handled his demotion and came back strong.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

On behalf of the Yankees, I offer you Jacoby Ellsbury for Castro.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I wonder if the Cubs would part with Soler in exchange for Trevor Bauer or Danny Salazar.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No and "hmmm"?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Cubs would drive Soler to Chicago for Salazar probably. It's not a bad thought on either end.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Cubs and Mets would be, by far, the most interesting trade partners. Pretty much inverse rosters.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Is there an age by which pitchers are generally safe from serious injury? For example, if a pitcher makes it to age 27 without serious arm trouble, can a team generally assume that he is less likely to have serious arm trouble going forward than, say, a 24-year-old?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

"No, that's preposterous." --Frank Wren
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote:Cubs would drive Soler to Chicago for Salazar probably. It's not a bad thought on either end.
There's a rumor going around these parts that the Indians might make a run at Todd Frazier. The Indians would have to part with one of their two best batting prospects (Bradley Zimmer or Clint Frazier) and a pitcher, but I can see them making the move. The Indians are in a "win now" mindset because they have a lot of their core players (Brantley, Kipnis, Gomes, Kluber, Carrasco) locked up on team-friendly contracts. I think it makes sense for both teams, although I imagine the Reds fan base wouldn't be too keen on losing such a well-liked player.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Mark Buehrle had shoulder problems this year.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

And it restricted him to ONLY 198 innings. I think any injury he has is because of throwing so many innings forever.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Is there an age by which pitchers are generally safe from serious injury?
A great question. I happened upon an article about Bronson Arroyo, he was more or less injury free until blowing out his tommy john elbow ligament at age 37. That's just one, though.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

howard wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:Is there an age by which pitchers are generally safe from serious injury?
A great question. I happened upon an article about Bronson Arroyo, he was more or less injury free until blowing out his tommy john elbow ligament at age 37. That's just one, though.
I'm not sure there would ever be a magic # in terms of age because of the multitude of variables including biomechanics, (over)use, strength capacity, etc, etc, etc.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Only thing that might be a slight predictor is post-first-TJ. Like I'd be curious to see what percentage of MLBers have had one and then what percentage has a second. I would leave Josh Johnson out of the study.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Can we get average fastball speed for certain ages over time?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:

Speaking of...
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote:Can we get average fastball speed for certain ages over time?
You could using Fangraphs, but I can't see a way to dump out pitcher age into the query so you might have to run every age as a separate dump.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A_B wrote: Speaking of...
I'm sorry, I forgot to link the Arroyo story. Interesting guy.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Interesting in that his body is 38 and his brain is "19 year old who's a few weeks into his first philosophy course and totally digging it"? Like reading the part about girls who his teammates tried to bail him out of, is there any chance they weren't "he's a good looking baseball player so I'll just listen to his dumb shit for a while then F"?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ruben Amaro Jr. from Phillies GM to Red Sox 1B coach is legitimately the funniest baseball thing ever.

(Even better, the guy he's replacing was the most pedophile looking coach in the league.)
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

More pedophile than their actual pedophile?

That is pretty funny. Gotta be the weirdest change of positions in baseball history.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I hope he wears a suit onto the field. Dress for the job you want.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This is an amazing story, but should we believe Lenny Dykstra?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My mom and I still point to Dykstra as proof that parents know a lot more about character than their idiot 9 year olds.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Many people will mistake this fact for proof, but he did lead the league in walks when he said he did this. His walks went dramatically higher that season.

But I don't believe him, out of habit.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…