College Football Week 9

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

College Football Week 9

Post by A_B »

Jerry Kill retired at Minnesota. Kinda saw it coming, but hate for it to have to happen during season.
Last edited by A_B on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Re: College Football Week 8

Post by rass »

Peter King wrote:Finally...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Re: College Football Week 8

Post by A_B »

Tennessee has to stay in Cincinnati this weekend because there were not enough rooms available due to the Breeder's cup.

HA HA HA HA.
rass
The Dude

Re: College Football Week 9

Post by rass »

"Florida/Georgia, a game that takes on a life of its own, played at a neutral site."

Nantz is so lame.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:"Florida/Georgia, a game that takes on a life of its own, played at a neutral site."

Nantz is so lame.
He probably knows more Florida/Georgia Line songs than he does players from both teams.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good thing tOSU has more than one QB.. And just so Jones can drive the drunk starter home from the PD.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

h/t ggb
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Under the terms of OSU's Drug and Alcohol Policy, Barrett clearly should be given a 2-game suspension. However, Meyer has announced that his suspension is for only one game. Can't have him rusty for the Michigan State game!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ticker on ESPN said that he would not be suspended for two weeks because it was a misdemeanor charge.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Ticker on ESPN said that he would not be suspended for two weeks because it was a misdemeanor charge.
That's the explanation being given, but supposedly OSU's policy doesn't say that it's limited to felonies and lists various misdemeanor offenses as examples of what would be covered. So it sounds like that reason is a post hoc justification by Meyer and the AD for the shorter suspension.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If nothing else the fact he's underage should be a mitigating factor, if not for the state of Ohio then Meyer.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just saw something I've never seen before. UMass backed up to their own 1 inch line and a OL gets a false start. Penalty is half the distance to the goal but since there's nowhere to move the ball the officials don't even bother.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Joe K wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Ticker on ESPN said that he would not be suspended for two weeks because it was a misdemeanor charge.
That's the explanation being given, but supposedly OSU's policy doesn't say that it's limited to felonies and lists various misdemeanor offenses as examples of what would be covered. So it sounds like that reason is a post hoc justification by Meyer and the AD for the shorter suspension.
It's a two-week suspension.

If the suspension starts today, it's over by next Saturday.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Holy shit. Duke and Miami just had the craziest ending I've ever seen (well, that I was watching at the time).

Duke scored a TD to go ahead by 3 with :06 left. Miami took the squib kick, lateralled it probably a dozen times before breaking a guy free and he scored.

And then, while I was typing that, the refs announced a block in the back. They're still reviewing for some reason.

BTW, that would be Miami's 24th penalty of the game. There might be a riot if this TD gets overturned.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Absolutely nuts. Never seen that work.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

8 laterals. Picked up flags were right. No penalty.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

[quote="HaulCitgo"]8 laterals. Picked up flags were right. No penalty.[/quote

Agreed. That was also the longest play review I've seen. It even had a halftime when the head ref went out to announce a verdict and then changed his mind and went back to review for another minute or so.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The post game explanation for that play/review will be interesting. I didn't see the refs throw a flag on the play and I also didn't see any blocks in the back, but that play was all over the field, so I'm sure I missed lots of stuff. However, the ref clearly said that there was a block in the back called, there would be an untimed play, and that they were reviewing it. After the lengthy review (two of them), they decided that there was no penalty and the TD stands. But you can't overturn a block in the back on review, so what gives?

Apparently the length of the review also included looking for down knees, but apparently they missed this one:
And maybe this was the block in the back?

Can a game be overturned on Monday if they determine that the refs DID throw a flag and incorrectly picked it up on the final play of a game?
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Duke waz robbed...

That said...Fuck DOOK...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BTW, if you didn't see the game (and I'm sure you didn't - it was Duke vs. Miami), Miami had a slew of penalties on Duke's seemingly game-winning drive. In there were two pass interference calls on the kid who eventually scored the winning TD (the fantastically named Corn Elder). Each PI call was correct, but somewhat borderline. The Miami sidelines (and cheering section) was HOT by that time. Remember, Miami had endured 23 penalties, an ACC record, while Duke had only 5.

And to wrap this up - the ACC has suspended all of the officials involved - http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-11-01-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The ACC pointed out four specific errors on the last play:
The replay official erred in not overturning the ruling on the field that the Miami player had released the ball prior to his knee being down. If called, this would have ended the game.

The on-field officials erred by failing to penalize Miami for an illegal block in the back at the Miami 16-yard line. If called, the ball would have been placed at the Miami 8-yard line and the game would have been extended for an untimed down.

A block in the back foul was called at the Duke 26-yard line. After the officials conferred, which is appropriate, they correctly determined that the block was from the side, which resulted in the flag being picked up. The replay official was not involved in the decision to pick up the flag; however, the referee did not effectively manage communication and properly explain why the flag was picked up.

In addition, the on-field crew failed to penalize a Miami player for leaving the bench area and entering the field prior to the end of the play. This foul would not have negated the touchdown because it would have been enforced as a dead ball foul.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I can't recall off-hand another example of a league admitting that the wrong team won because of a blown call. Since even the most important blown calls almost never happen on the very last play of the game the reaction tends to be that the losing team should have played better after the call occurred instead of blaming the officials. (Which is silly, because blown calls can have a huge impact on expected win probability.) But it sounds like Duke will not be retroactively declared the winner here.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:BTW, if you didn't see the game (and I'm sure you didn't - it was Duke vs. Miami), Miami had a slew of penalties on Duke's seemingly game-winning drive. In there were two pass interference calls on the kid who eventually scored the winning TD (the fantastically named Corn Elder). Each PI call was correct, but somewhat borderline. The Miami sidelines (and cheering section) was HOT by that time. Remember, Miami had endured 23 penalties, an ACC record, while Duke had only 5.

And to wrap this up - the ACC has suspended all of the officials involved - http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-11-01-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The ACC pointed out four specific errors on the last play:
The replay official erred in not overturning the ruling on the field that the Miami player had released the ball prior to his knee being down. If called, this would have ended the game.

The on-field officials erred by failing to penalize Miami for an illegal block in the back at the Miami 16-yard line. If called, the ball would have been placed at the Miami 8-yard line and the game would have been extended for an untimed down.

A block in the back foul was called at the Duke 26-yard line. After the officials conferred, which is appropriate, they correctly determined that the block was from the side, which resulted in the flag being picked up. The replay official was not involved in the decision to pick up the flag; however, the referee did not effectively manage communication and properly explain why the flag was picked up.

In addition, the on-field crew failed to penalize a Miami player for leaving the bench area and entering the field prior to the end of the play. This foul would not have negated the touchdown because it would have been enforced as a dead ball foul.
Other than that, they did a great job!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Frank Beamer is going to retire at the end of the season. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 17235.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hate seeing all of these good jobs open up when I'm hoping UVA will be coach shopping.

Update - I just noticed that I linked to Bronto's article.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote:I can't recall off-hand another example of a league admitting that the wrong team won because of a blown call. Since even the most important blown calls almost never happen on the very last play of the game the reaction tends to be that the losing team should have played better after the call occurred instead of blaming the officials. (Which is silly, because blown calls can have a huge impact on expected win probability.) But it sounds like Duke will not be retroactively declared the winner here.

I dunno. Miami has had a bunch of wins taken away after the fact.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Michigan reverting (almost) to the Hoke-Rodriguez era of allowing a game that should've been a walk turn into a horrible loss. Only the well-documented (by now) horrible clock management of the interim coach saved them from back-to-back gut punch losses.

That said, in the same week that a UM coed posted 5000 fliers accusing Jabrill Peppers of giving her the clap*, he goes onto be an impact player in literally every facet of the game and earning B1G freshman of the week.

* Chlamydia... Is that the clap?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The clap is gonorrhea. The explanation for how it got that nickname is pretty repulsive: back in the day guys with gonorrhea used to clap their hands into their dick to squeeze the pus out.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am so, so sorry that I read that.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Thanks for fucking up A League of Their Own for me, dick.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I just read that Ohio State kid's punishment is a one game suspension and he loses his scholarship for a semester. Does that count as a release or is it just another way schools can fuck kids?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The "Semester" to be served is next Summer session apparently.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I saw this in highlights yesterday and Deadspin reminded me today... Anyone else see Kelly lose his mind on ND asst. coach (strength coach, it turns out*)? I mean, it's not the end of the world, but... Basketball coaches caught manhandling their players on CCTV have been fired for that kind of outburst. He's lucky the Duke - MIA game took front and center or that might've been a top story coming out of the weekend.

* WTF is with all these non-coach guys on the sidelines. I'm sure it would be a whole lot easier to get around down there without the extra 40 never gonna play and don't need to be down there to coach people mucking things up.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.