Treadmill shopping advice

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Treadmill shopping advice

Post by The Sybian »

My son ran Cross Country this fall, and has really taken to it. He really wants to continue training over the Winter, so we are planning on removing crap from the kids' playroom to make room for a treadmill. From what i gather, anything under $1,200 isn't likely to last long. Anyone own a treadmill or have some advice? Features to look for? Lack of folding up is borderline dealbreaker, but most seem to have this feature.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Treadmill shopping advice

Post by A_B »

I didn't pay anywhere near that much and mine has lasted a pretty long time. It isn't used as much these days but when j was training for hood to coast and bourbon chaw I used it 4-5 days a week. It isn't quiet though. If I ran as much now as I did hen I'm sure I would have had to replace it, but I think 1200 seems like a lot.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I got one for around $400 (in 1998 dollars) and it lasted at least through 2005 when we got rid of it to make room for babies. It folded up and everything.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:I got one for around $400 (in 1998 dollars) and it lasted at least through 2005 when we got rid of it to make room for babies. It folded up and everything.
Yeah, I got one for about $400-500 in 2006 (from Sears IIRC) and it lasted for at least three years (sold it though it still worked fine). It also folded up.

My small bit of advice relates to how much you think it'll be used. Treadmills are generally one of those things that can get used for a season then essentially collect dust, especially considering if you'd rather run outside (in the summer there, winter here). So while the normal advice wouldn't be to cheap out too much, in this case if you think there's a chance it'll become a bit of a passing fancy, consider something more closer to the lower end of mid-range. (Also you probably don't need a lot of the fancy features some of them having like different training programs and shit.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:Yeah, I got one for about $400-500 in 2006 (from Sears IIRC) and it lasted for at least three years (sold it though it still worked fine). It also folded up.

My small bit of advice relates to how much you think it'll be used. Treadmills are generally one of those things that can get used for a season then essentially collect dust, especially considering if you'd rather run outside (in the summer there, winter here). So while the normal advice wouldn't be to cheap out too much, in this case if you think there's a chance it'll become a bit of a passing fancy, consider something more closer to the lower end of mid-range. (Also you probably don't need a lot of the fancy features some of them having like different training programs and shit.)
My experience mirrors Brian's. Spent under $500 for one from Sears that folded up and was used daily for about 5-6 years before selling it. Relatively simplistic model from Pro-Form.

We had a smallish apartment, but kept it in the living room. It was loud, but kept there to be a constant reminder to use it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ours became a basement clothes hanger but we got a year or two of incessant motorized whining before putting it to pasture. Was heavy and bulky but lasted more than ten years if not so many miles.