Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

NFL Week 12

Post by Pruitt »

Hey, guess who's been benched again?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 42292.html

Go Browns!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 12

Post by brian »

I think it's pretty telling the Browns were apparently more worried about his partying on his off week than a potential domestic violence incident.

Also, kinda sad the joy some people are apparently taking in what appears to be some kind of substance abuse problem (I mean on Twitter, not here.)

Unless the Browns are just content to cut bait with him once and for all in the offseason (certainly not unlikely) I don't see what publicly benching him is supposed to accomplish. Seems like you'd be better off trying to get him more playing time and then seeing if you can get him to seek treatment again in the offseason.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:I think it's pretty telling the Browns were apparently more worried about his partying on his off week than a potential domestic violence incident.

Also, kinda sad the joy some people are apparently taking in what appears to be some kind of substance abuse problem (I mean on Twitter, not here.)

Unless the Browns are just content to cut bait with him once and for all in the offseason (certainly not unlikely) I don't see what publicly benching him is supposed to accomplish. Seems like you'd be better off trying to get him more playing time and then seeing if you can get him to seek treatment again in the offseason.
So is this just because of his alleged "problem with alcohol"? I guess I just don't get why the pounce here other than Johnny Football seems like a tremendous asshole. If Gronk does this shit the talking heads on ESPN yuk it up and he gets another commercial. JF does it and it's "a profound disappointment". I can't believe I'm sticking up for the guy, but he's at the club on a bye week. Why is it anyone's business if he's handling his shit? I haven't seen any reports of him missing meetings or practice or anything. Am I missing something?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote: I haven't seen any reports of him missing meetings or practice or anything. Am I missing something?
I think he had been missing meetings and then made the public apology, statement he was going the straight and narrow, etc. etc. Then when right back to to it. If I were him I would have been in the most private part of the club with no cell phones allowed (or at home with a bottle of Cristal and my Ps4.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:
BSF21 wrote: I haven't seen any reports of him missing meetings or practice or anything. Am I missing something?
I think he had been missing meetings and then made the public apology, statement he was going the straight and narrow, etc. etc. Then when right back to to it. If I were him I would have been in the most private part of the club with no cell phones allowed (or at home with a bottle of Cristal and my Ps4.)
That's it exactly.

Gronk doesn't have substance abuse issues.

Once again, a complete clean sweep coming in Cleveland.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
Gronk doesn't have substance abuse issues
Depends on how you want to define it, but I call bullshit.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote:Depends on how you want to define it, but I call bullshit.
On what? Manziel has been BMOC his entire "adult" life. Having rich parents, going to a local college, living it up, having enough of the Farve seat-of-his-pants shit to make him a bit of a folk hero, etc.

He had some sort of substance problem, you don't live in rehab for 10 weeks for nothing. We're not privy to the team discussions, but they've had enough shit with Gordon that I'm sure there was some sort of zero tolerance agreement made and Manziel broke that agreement. I'm surprised that he simply went down the depth chart and wasn't cut outright. He's learned nothing in the almost 2 years in the league, there's coaching about learning to play the NFL game on the field and there are also learning going on off the field that he somehow refuses to learn.

Gronk, might party just as hard, but he hasn't been in rehab, is responsible (had a party bus that he uses to go to and from clubs, etc.) and from I've seen and read is humble and works hard, Manziel seems to be one of those that expects shit to be given to him like it has been given to him up to this point. Boy needs to learn or he's not going to be in the league very long.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rams WR Stedman Bailey shot twice in head, in critical/stable condition
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Case Keenum joke in 5...4...9...banana...
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pettine never wanted to start Manziel and this gave him an out. Manziel isn't the problem with the Browns.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote: He had some sort of substance problem, you don't live in rehab for 10 weeks for nothing. We're not privy to the team discussions, but they've had enough shit with Gordon that I'm sure there was some sort of zero tolerance agreement made and Manziel broke that agreement. I'm surprised that he simply went down the depth chart and wasn't cut outright. He's learned nothing in the almost 2 years in the league, there's coaching about learning to play the NFL game on the field and there are also learning going on off the field that he somehow refuses to learn.

Gronk, might party just as hard, but he hasn't been in rehab, is responsible (had a party bus that he uses to go to and from clubs, etc.) and from I've seen and read is humble and works hard, Manziel seems to be one of those that expects shit to be given to him like it has been given to him up to this point. Boy needs to learn or he's not going to be in the league very long.
Oh my goodness
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm just glad that Manziel as the full anti-Tebow is coming to fruition.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I want an entire Wonderlic test made up of party bus word problems

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Q: You have invited 6 of your best buds and their best gals on your party bus. It's a Friday night, so you will allow everyone (yourself included) to have two Miller 64's before they must switch to water. How many 6 packs of beer must you purchase to ensure that you have enough beer for everyone on the bus (excepting the driver, of course! :))? How many beers will be left over for next weekend? Show your work.

BONUS: You have a meeting at 9AM tomorrow morning, and it takes you on average one hour from when your alarm goes off to get ready and arrive at the stadium. What time should you have the bus drop you off to make sure you can get a full 8 hours of sleep?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote:Pettine never wanted to start Manziel and this gave him an out. Manziel isn't the problem with the Browns.
He isn't *the* problem, but it's hard to put your faith in someone who has repeatedly ignored your warnings. This is especially true for pro athletes.

Hell, the Browns don't have a single problem. They have so many it's rather difficult to imagine anything that's going right with the team.

- Ownership: I have no idea how Haslem managed to become a billionaire. Maybe fraud is more lucrative than I thought. It also doesn't do your team any favors when the owner says on national TV that he took the advice of a homeless man the night before the draft. (It's one thing to be on the street and have a homeless man come up to you and tell you to draft Manziel, but FFS, do you have to mention that on a live, national TV broadcast?)

- Management: The GM is the guy who drafted CB Justin Gilbert (who has played 32 snaps in 2015, despite multiple injuries to the defensive backfield) and Johnny Manziel in the same first round of the 2014 draft. He also drafted Terrance West with his second-round pick, and that guy is now on his third NFL team this season (and is on the practice squad, no less). And let's not forget he was suspended for a month because he texted the coaching staff during a game. HOW FUCKING STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO DO THAT?

The one positive I've heard about the front office is that team president Alec Scheiner is doing good things on the business side of operations, as the team's value has supposedly increased each year during Haslem's tenure as the Browns' owner.

- Coaching: I'm torn on Pettine. At times I think he's done an OK job considering the circus surrounding the team. But then I consider he's 2-15 in his last 17 games, and his opposition to starting Manziel when the season is clearly lost is puzzling. And for a guy who's supposedly a defensive whiz, the Browns defense the last two years have been abysmal. I still don't understand why the Browns are playing Paul Kruger out of position. He had 11 sacks last year rushing off the weak side, but now he's a starting strong-side OLB who has 19 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 10 games. WHY?

- Roster: Each position group has some sort of fatal flaw, except for maybe the special teams.

QB: Josh McCown gets shit on all the time, but he's been one of their best offensive players. Manziel has had his opportunities and not made the most of them, and when he gets his next opportunity delivered to him on a silver platter, he shits all over it. He's gone.

RB: As a group, the only one who has any talent is Duke Johnson Jr., and that's because he can catch the ball and make people miss. But he's so small he'll never been an effective between-the-tackles runner. He probably should be moved to a slot receiver spot to best utilize his talents. I have no idea what's happened to Isaiah Crowell. He looks so tentative when he hits the line of scrimmage.

WR: With the exception of Travis Benjamin, all of these guys are clowns. And even Benjamin is a stretch, as he had a couple of big games in the first part of the season but has done jack since then. The biggest clown in this group is Ray Farmer because he gave Dwayne Bowe a two-year, $13 million contract. So far, he's caught three passes for 31 yards in four games this year.

OL: Aside from Mitchell Schwartz, the entire unit has receded. Perhaps time is catching up to Joe Thomas, but neither Alex Mack nor Joel Bitonio can use that excuse. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas is traded in the offseason, and you can pretty much guarantee Alex Mack won't be back. Schwartz is a free agent at the end of the season, and he'll probably get well paid going elsewhere. The one positive out of all of this is it will free up a ton of salary cap room, which the Browns can use to sign a bunch of shitty free agents that will be gone two years later.

TE: Finally, we can talk about a positive! Gary Barnidge has been the breakout player for the Browns. He probably won't make the Pro Bowl because of what Tyler Eifert has done in Cincinnati, but he's playing near that level.

Defense: The Browns have the worst rush defense in the league (in rushing yards allowed), have 16 sacks in 10 games and rank 30th in points allowed. Enough said. They're also the highest-paid defense in the NFL.

Special teams: Andy Lee has the sixth-best net punt yards average, which is nice. Rookie kicker Travis Coons is 16 for 16 in FGs but is 14 of 16 in extra points. Ok, that's weird. The punt and kick return teams are average at best.

So, what do you do? It appears the only real solution is to fire everyone. But what experienced NFL GM or head coach would want to come to Cleveland considering this would be the third GM and head coach Haslem has fired in four years? Many Browns fans hold out hope that Bill Cowher would come out of retirement to right the foundering franchise, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's funny. (No, seriously, people really think this.)

What will probably happen is the Browns will win three of the next six games to knock them out of the first overall pick of the draft. They'll end up drafting fifth or sixth. Haslem will fire everyone but Scheiner and he'll try to sign every out-of-work big-name NFL coach. He'll eventually settle for a rookie NFL coach or an experienced college coach (because, you know, that *always* works out well). The roster will be gutted, and we'll have another three-year rebuilding plan foisted upon the team that will be abandoned after the second year. Lather, rinse, repeat.

And the most idiotic thing about all of this? Every home game (not including preseason) will be a sellout.

BOOK IT.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

rass wrote:Q: You have invited 6 of your best buds and their best gals on your party bus. It's a Friday night, so you will allow everyone (yourself included) to have two Miller 64's before they must switch to water. How many 6 packs of beer must you purchase to ensure that you have enough beer for everyone on the bus (excepting the driver, of course! :))? How many beers will be left over for next weekend? Show your work.

BONUS: You have a meeting at 9AM tomorrow morning, and it takes you on average one hour from when your alarm goes off to get ready and arrive at the stadium. What time should you have the bus drop you off to make sure you can get a full 8 hours of sleep?
GRONK: (Crumples up paper, spikes it at proctor (they totally have a proctor), chugs third Miller 64, earns Kumon endorsement contract)

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

[quote="Sabo"
Defense: The Browns have the worst rush defense in the league (in rushing yards allowed), have 16 sacks in 10 games and rank 30th in points allowed. Enough said. They're also the highest-paid defense in the NFL.
[/quote]

That is unbelievable.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nice work Sabo. Was it cathartic to write? Or, just painful?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The 49ers have quickly degenerated into a fouled-up team, on a level rivaling the Browns. Ann Killion of the SF Comical writes a great takedown of the dysfunctional, leak-friendly organization.
Link
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote:Nice work Sabo. Was it cathartic to write? Or, just painful?
Both. Mostly it reminded me of all the stupid things the team has done in the last few years.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Browns Fan Cries When Talking About Manziel

Poor guy.

Wonder if he gets so choked up when talking about his kids? I am so glad I don't take this stuff THIS seriously.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Interesting article about how Rashean Mathis will try to convince his son to NOT play football.

It's hard to imagine how football's long-term situation is not very, very bad with the rise of articles like this.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote:The 49ers have quickly degenerated into a fouled-up team, on a level rivaling the Browns. Ann Killion of the SF Comical writes a great takedown of the dysfunctional, leak-friendly organization.
Link
Wow, the team claiming to the Fox TV crew that Kaepernick had cost them "20 touchdowns" is absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who thinks that if you replaced Kaepernick with a Pro-Bowl caliber QB, the 49ers would be contenders, is out of their mind. That just reaks of either Tomsula or Baalke (who has had brutal drafts lately) trying to save his job by blaming a QB who is already unpopular with the media. I know Harbaugh is an asshole, but ownership siding with Baalke over him will go down as a colossal mistake.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote:
sancarlos wrote:The 49ers have quickly degenerated into a fouled-up team, on a level rivaling the Browns. Ann Killion of the SF Comical writes a great takedown of the dysfunctional, leak-friendly organization.
Link
Wow, the team claiming to the Fox TV crew that Kaepernick had cost them "20 touchdowns" is absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who thinks that if you replaced Kaepernick with a Pro-Bowl caliber QB, the 49ers would be contenders, is out of their mind. That just reaks of either Tomsula or Baalke (who has had brutal drafts lately) trying to save his job by blaming a QB who is already unpopular with the media. I know Harbaugh is an asshole, but ownership siding with Baalke over him will go down as a colossal mistake.
The implication in several SF Chronicle columns has been that the leaks to national football commentators are likely coming from Jed York's office.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That pass from Stafford to Pettigrew (dropped by Pettigrew of course) could be made by only about two or three guys on the planet. That's why the Lions would be stupid to give up on him.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote:Hey, guess who's been benched again?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 42292.html

Go Browns!
And now it's coming out that Manziel lied to the Browns about the age of that video, and that he asked friends to lie about the video, too.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

so the eagles spend $40 million on a corner and have to put a rookie corner on Calvin Johnson.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This might be the best game I've seen Stafford play as a Lion. Every throw has been a bullet right on the money.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

degenerasian wrote:so the eagles spend $40 million on a corner and have to put a rookie corner on Calvin Johnson.
But Chip Kelly is a genius so it's all good. #hottaek
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:
degenerasian wrote:so the eagles spend $40 million on a corner and have to put a rookie corner on Calvin Johnson.
But Chip Kelly is a genius so it's all good. #hottaek
Rare to see an NFL team this inept. Tackling like CFLers.

When Aikman is ripping into a team, you know things are bad.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So does Chip Kelly go to LSU after this year? What's his next landing spot?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think it's pretty obvious the Cowboys are better with Romo than without but this performance today is quintessential big game Romo.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Who knew The Blue Man Group plays football?
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

brian wrote:I think it's pretty obvious the Cowboys are better with Romo than without but this performance today is quintessential big game Romo.

With Romo in there the Cowboys totally abandon the run.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And down goes Romo...doesn't look good.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

brian wrote:And down goes Romo...doesn't look good.
yeah looks like the same collerbone
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just goes to show how quickly things can change but the NFC East is a dumpster fire.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

brian wrote:Just goes to show how quickly things can change but the NFC East is a dumpster fire.
don't think the Cowboys were ever in it, even with Romo back. Eagles downfall is sudden.
Giants vs Redskins this weekend for all the marbles.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

John Fox is a pussy. The Bears deserve to lose this game.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

John Fox makes wrong decisions every week, somehow he survives.