College Football Coaching Carousel

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

College Football Coaching Carousel

Post by Shirley »

So, take everything I wrote about Les Miles in that other thread and apply it to Mark Richt. Georgia is taking a hell of a risk.

Has anyone seen a chart listing the highest winning percentages for coaches fired purely for performance reasons? Richt would have to be pretty high up there.

Oh yeah, UVA finally fired Mike London as well. Mark Richt would look pretty good in Charlottesville.

(disclaimer - I think I'm third cousins or something with Mark Richt. Never met him or anything, but my grandmother's maiden name was Richt.)
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Re: College Football Coaching Carousel

Post by brian »

Matt Campbell going to Iowa State is a curious move. Seems like he would have a shot at a higher profile job and Toledo is arguably a bigger job than Iowa State despite ISU being a Power Five school. There's more money at ISU obviously, but the chance of failure is pretty huge.

(Dino Babers is rumored to Central Florida and I thought he would have a shot at a bigger profile job than that as well.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Lots of talk about Scott Frost (offensive coordinator, Oregon) to Syracuse. He interviewed with the new SU athletic director previously for the Boise State job.

Both Campbell and Babers things seem weird to me, too.

Campbell seems like he could do a lot better than Iowa State.

UCF, save for the change in recruiting base, seems to be a parallel move for Babers, at best, and he should be able to get a Power 5 job. Have seen that the delay in finalizing his deal may be coming down to Babers' buyout dropping from 300K to 200K on December 1.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Richt would look nice in a scarlet R.

But, I think we circle back and end up with Schiano, again.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The word is that Campbell's camp could have leaked the ISU thing to make Missouri offer him the job when he interviewed with them. Pretty clear Missouri didn't do that, so Campbell took the ISU offer.

When I saw the Babers possibility my first thought was that teams didn't want a 55-year-old head coach. Which, given the frequency of 10+ year coaches, is kind of dumb.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:The word is that Campbell's camp could have leaked the ISU thing to make Missouri offer him the job when he interviewed with them. Pretty clear Missouri didn't do that, so Campbell took the ISU offer.

When I saw the Babers possibility my first thought was that teams didn't want a 55-year-old head coach. Which, given the frequency of 10+ year coaches, is kind of dumb.

Richt is 55 and should be working. My guess is he spends a year with Finebaum then gets a job next year.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Scott Frost is the new UCF coach.

And Temple's Rivals site is now reporting Matt Rhule is not a candidate at Mizzou. That juggles things a bit. Not sure who the guy is now.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

devilfluff wrote:Richt would look nice in a scarlet R.

But, I think we circle back and end up with Schiano, again.
Terps have reached out to Richt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote:Scott Frost is the new UCF coach.
In just a few hours, the vocal part of the Syracuse fanbase spent a large amount of vitriol lamenting that the new AD couldn't get his #1 target, how bad this makes the football program, and firing Scott Shafer is pretty much already a failure because a replacement wasn't already locked up, including a few calls for the AD to be fired after five months on the job.

I hate sports fans.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Up until Saturday, Michigan's DC - DJ Durkin - was heavily rumored to be going to Maryland. I mean, I'm sure that rumor is still out there, but his stock certainly took a hit after that second half against OSU.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I have a Facebook friend who is a big Georgia booster. She, and apparently a large number of others are livid that Richt was fired and are agitating for the AD to now get fired.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:I have a Facebook friend who is a big Georgia booster. She, and apparently a large number of others are livid that Richt was fired and are agitating for the AD to now get fired.
I find that hard to believe. UGA fans have been calling for richt's head for years.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brisly Estime, a WR at Syracuse, has tweeted and deleted that Chris Ash, the co-defensive coordinator at tOSU, has taken the SU job.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:
sancarlos wrote:I have a Facebook friend who is a big Georgia booster. She, and apparently a large number of others are livid that Richt was fired and are agitating for the AD to now get fired.
I find that hard to believe. UGA fans have been calling for richt's head for years.
Apparently, not all of them hated Richt. I don't know squat about Georgia or their fans, so I maybe this is just a small group of people. But here is an article, and, here is a petition calling for the AD's head on a platter.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Brisly Estime, a WR at Syracuse, has tweeted and deleted that Chris Ash, the co-defensive coordinator at tOSU, has taken the SU job.
He'd emerged over the past couple days as a the "secret" candidate who was not-so-secret any longer.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Sonny Dykes is the guy at Mizzou.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Up until Saturday, Michigan's DC - DJ Durkin - was heavily rumored to be going to Maryland. I mean, I'm sure that rumor is still out there, but his stock certainly took a hit after that second half against OSU.
From what I've read and heard, this still looks like the most likely outcome in the next day or so. Not terribly exciting, but not a "WTF are they thinking?" like the Edsall hire. A lot of potential recruits are saying they'll bolt if Locksley isn't kept around either as Head Coach or an assistant. As much as that may hurt, you have to think more long term and Locksley is something like 3-25 as a head coach and had some sexual harassment issues at New Mexico. Can't hire him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Brisly Estime, a WR at Syracuse, has tweeted and deleted that Chris Ash, the co-defensive coordinator at tOSU, has taken the SU job.
He'd emerged over the past couple days as a the "secret" candidate who was not-so-secret any longer.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Sonny Dykes is the guy at Mizzou.
Interesting. I think Sonny Dykes has been a bit of a cultural misfit in Berkeley. But, that aside, his Cal offenses have been good, mostly thanks to Jared Goff. Meanwhile, the defense every year has been a tire fire.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

vandwagon wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Up until Saturday, Michigan's DC - DJ Durkin - was heavily rumored to be going to Maryland. I mean, I'm sure that rumor is still out there, but his stock certainly took a hit after that second half against OSU.
From what I've read and heard, this still looks like the most likely outcome in the next day or so. Not terribly exciting, but not a "WTF are they thinking?" like the Edsall hire. A lot of potential recruits are saying they'll bolt if Locksley isn't kept around either as Head Coach or an assistant. As much as that may hurt, you have to think more long term and Locksley is something like 3-25 as a head coach and had some sexual harassment issues at New Mexico. Can't hire him.
Pretty much being reported as a done deal this afternoon. I think it's an interesting hire and given the crowded market, probably a pretty good get for Md. Some of the speculation is that because Durkin is almost exclusively a defensive guy, Locksley will be kept on to run the offense. And the recruiting angle is a big factor.

From the M perspective, this would've been seen as a much bigger deal prior to watching that defense get gashed for 40+ points. That's a little unfair given how dinged up the DL was, but it was mind boggling that they didn't drop a safety into the box after OSU basically showed they were going to run until M stopped them. Very disconcerting that no adjustments were made to the game plan in this and the Indiana game.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Reports are that Durkin is officially going to Maryland.

Hoping Scott Shafer gets to reunite with Harbaugh and gets a chance to do it right in Ann Arbor.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
vandwagon wrote:
Pretty much being reported as a done deal this afternoon. I think it's an interesting hire and given the crowded market, probably a pretty good get for Md. Some of the speculation is that because Durkin is almost exclusively a defensive guy, Locksley will be kept on to run the offense. And the recruiting angle is a big factor.

From the M perspective, this would've been seen as a much bigger deal prior to watching that defense get gashed for 40+ points. That's a little unfair given how dinged up the DL was, but it was mind boggling that they didn't drop a safety into the box after OSU basically showed they were going to run until M stopped them. Very disconcerting that no adjustments were made to the game plan in this and the Indiana game.
Read the same thing on Testudo Times http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-te ... ach-search.

Not exactly an exciting hire, but solid background and a young guy. Some Maryland fans are afraid of the job being a stepping stone, but I'm ok with him having enough success to use it as that. The last guy that did that was Bobby Ross, a long time ago.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I'm hearing Dino Babers to 'Cuse.

Ash & Golden have been mentioned as the leading candidates at Rutgers.

Supposedly, Richt is interviewing at Virginia.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

devilfluff wrote:
I'm hearing Dino Babers to 'Cuse.

Ash & Golden have been mentioned as the leading candidates at Rutgers.

Supposedly, Richt is interviewing at Virginia.
Richt reportedly already accepted the job at Miami.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:
devilfluff wrote: Supposedly, Richt is interviewing at Virginia.
Richt reportedly already accepted the job at Miami.
Damn. I thought Miami was going to bring Butch Davis back.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

1) No idea Richt went to Miami

2) I kinda love this hire. Richt knows how to be a head coach in terms of running a program. Miami needs leadership. Richt can recruit (apparently #1 Running Back is going with Richt) and his game coaching isn't terrible. But man have his teams had some terrible injury luck. Don't know if that's a training staff issue or what, but it seems like he's had key players go down every year. Murray, Gurley and Chubb in last 3-4 seasons alone.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

You mean Eason? He's a QB.

Unless Richt can get an RB too. Then that's a nice haul.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:You mean Eason? He's a QB.

Unless Richt can get an RB too. Then that's a nice haul.

Oh maybe I misheard. Wasn't 100% invested in the TV at the time.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Bronco Mendenhall to Virginia is a surprise.

Navy's Ken Niumatalolo is LDS. So I have to think he'll be the top (and only) prominent name.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote:Bronco Mendenhall to Virginia is a surprise.

Navy's Ken Niumatalolo is LDS. So I have to think he'll be the top (and only) prominent name.
Kyle Whittingham? I assume that's unlikely.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

BYU has approached him before, and he's turned them down. I don't see him doing it now. As a Utah alum, I'm biased, but BYU is a HUGE step down in job/program (Utah in the PAC-10, and BYU struggling as an independent).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Somehow I don't see BYU fans embracing a switch to the Triple Option offense.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Indeed. I just saw the news myself. Seems like a pretty damn good hire for uva.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:

BYU has approached him before, and he's turned them down. I don't see him doing it now. As a Utah alum, I'm biased, but BYU is a HUGE step down in job/program (Utah in the PAC-10, and BYU struggling as an independent).
Utah is the reason it's the Pac-12 now!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dungey is a good fit for Babers offense. If nothing else Syracuse should be fun to watch here very soon.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:Dungey is a good fit for Babers offense. If nothing else Syracuse should be fun to watch here very soon.
I am ecstatic. Reports are contract is six years. I don't know if he'll make it that long without leaving for someplace else, but honestly, if someone big comes calling, it means he brought the program all the way back (8-10 win range is realistic peak and I think they've only won 10 games four times in school history).
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:Dungey is a good fit for Babers offense. If nothing else Syracuse should be fun to watch here very soon.
I am ecstatic. Reports are contract is six years. I don't know if he'll make it that long without leaving for someplace else, but honestly, if someone big comes calling, it means he brought the program all the way back (8-10 win range is realistic peak and I think they've only won 10 games four times in school history).
Is someone going to hire a 57-year-old Dino Babers from Syracuse?

Given what we've seen this year, I'd be shocked.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

You never know. I think his offensive system and the way it can drastically turn a program around quickly would still make him appealing in a few years, especially if it works in the ACC. Even at 57 or 58, he'd still have plenty of years left to coach in good health.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

You never know. I think his offensive system and the way it can drastically turn a program around quickly would still make him appealing in a few years, especially if it works in the ACC. Even at 57 or 58, he'd still have plenty of years left to coach in good health.
It can turn a program around, sure. But Bowling Green was good with Dave Clawson before he got there too. Can he replicate what he did at Eastern Illinois (who was good a couple years before he got there)?

I think Syracuse fans have every right to be optimistic and the Orange should be much better under Babers. But I'm just not sure given the trend of younger coaches that he'd have any opportunity to move to a bigger job at 57 if he had three years of success at Syracuse. And of course, that's not the worst thing in the world for Syracuse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm really liking UVA's hire of Bronco Mendenhall. He has a hell of a resume. Yes, BYU has a strong history, but nothing else about that job guarantees success. There isn't nearly enough nearby talent and it must be tough to recruit to a school that might kick you out for sleeping with your girlfriend. Yet Mendenhall average 9 wins a year and never had a losing season (and was only close in his first year).

In many ways, he reminds me of the hire of Tony Bennett. I don't expect that level of success (that just doesn't happen often), but I think Bronco can be really good.

It's certainly a better choice than Will Muschamp!
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:I'm really liking UVA's hire of Bronco Mendenhall. He has a hell of a resume. Yes, BYU has a strong history, but nothing else about that job guarantees success. There isn't nearly enough nearby talent and it must be tough to recruit to a school that might kick you out for sleeping with your girlfriend. Yet Mendenhall average 9 wins a year and never had a losing season (and was only close in his first year).

In many ways, he reminds me of the hire of Tony Bennett. I don't expect that level of success (that just doesn't happen often), but I think Bronco can be really good.

It's certainly a better choice than Will Muschamp!
Muschamp is the flip-side to the Mark Richt coin. No clue how to be the main dude.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Will Muschamp uses wife to prove prowess to South Carolina
Will Muschamp, the new head coach at South Carolina, has a background working with defenses, so it’s almost fitting he started his new gig on the defensive — with the ever-so-charming deployment of his wife, Carol, as a prop.

“Gamecock Nation, if you don’t think I can recruit, look at [my wife] and look at me,” Muschamp said Monday at his official introduction in Columbia, S.C., according to SEC Network. “I can sell ice to an Eskimo.”