Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by L-Jam3 »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:59 pm It's almost as if they made the whole thing up in an attempt to assert their patriarchal control over you.

I have a buddy that isn't religious but follows the Greek Orthodox Lent menu every year just for the health benefits. As it turns out, eating a lot of fish is a good thing.
I remember hearing once, and this could be completely apocryphal , that the no meat on Fridays rule comes from a Jewish tradition. In ancient times, meat was expensive. But anybody could’ve gotten a rod and a lure and catch a fish (think how in Colonial times lobster was food for inmates). So the whole idea wasn’t not eating flesh as much as it was for those who were of the privileged class to experience just for a day a week to eat as a commoner.

Of course, taking that to its logical conclusion now would be on Fridays Catholics should eat Kraft Mac & Cheese, hot dogs, and Chef Boyardee.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:54 pm
Jerloma wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:59 pm It's almost as if they made the whole thing up in an attempt to assert their patriarchal control over you.

I have a buddy that isn't religious but follows the Greek Orthodox Lent menu every year just for the health benefits. As it turns out, eating a lot of fish is a good thing.
I remember hearing once, and this could be completely apocryphal , that the no meat on Fridays rule comes from a Jewish tradition. In ancient times, meat was expensive. But anybody could’ve gotten a rod and a lure and catch a fish (think how in Colonial times lobster was food for inmates). So the whole idea wasn’t not eating flesh as much as it was for those who were of the privileged class to experience just for a day a week to eat as a commoner.

Of course, taking that to its logical conclusion now would be on Fridays Catholics should eat Kraft Mac & Cheese, hot dogs, and Chef Boyardee.
Sure, blame it on a Jewish conspiracy… I read that fisherman were struggling financially in the 15th century and the Pope made the rule to keep them in business
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That’s the story I know.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The fish fry at the local Catholic joint in my hometown was always kind of a social event (for the olds). Not a huge catholic population, but every denomination had fish probably at least once during lent at the church on friday.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

I find it slightly interesting that I spent the first ~18 yrs of my life in Buffalo as a (presumed/fake/disbelieving) catholic and never once went to one of the ~2112 friday fish-fries (frys?) in this area code.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Now I miss Joe Pera and his Nana again.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We get this guy laid we won’t have any trouble!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:45 pm
That wasn’t real?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Right? That looks infinitely less insane than most of the shit these idiots wear.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nope. (Midjourney is an AI generating app.)

With fake news being a thing these days, AI just made it so much more difficult to figure out what's truth.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

STAY PRAYED UP

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

In a rational society, the utter idiocy of the concept of prayer would warrant more of a social stigma than people who think they were examined by alien proctologists.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:48 pm In a rational society, the utter idiocy of the concept of prayer would warrant more of a social stigma than people who think they were examined by alien proctologists.
I agree with you for the most part. I've always looked at prayer as faith-based meditation. So it's not that dumb to me. But being an atheist, it's still all blah. If that makes sense.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:48 pm In a rational society, the utter idiocy of the concept of prayer would warrant more of a social stigma than people who think they were examined by alien proctologists.
You know I’m mostly on your side but that’s a miserable analogy. One is claiming something actually happened, the other is hoping for a future outcome.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:15 pmI've always looked at prayer as faith-based meditation.
I like this description.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My mother is very Catholic and attends Mass twice a week. Awhile back, we got into a semi- deep conversation about prayer and other things.
She is convinced her prayers helped my father beat lung cancer. So, I asked her about God’s ethics. Why would he listen to some folks and seemingly ignore others? Why do bad things sometimes happen to good and/or innocent people? And, what about the seemingly opposed concepts of “things happen because it’s God’s will”, versus “man’s free will to make choices in his life”.

Of course, the answer was “we are not meant to understand everything God does.”

Hmmm…
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Religion is just so weird. My mother was attending or Zoom-ing two or three churches a week for the past couple of years. But she did not believe in heaven, and I don't think she even believed in God. I used to think she mostly just wanted to sing and/or hear choir music, which explains the dedicated attendance at the local church, but she was also regularly tuning in to her old church from Chicago and some church from NYC.

She said that she wanted a "celebration of life" instead of a funeral. But the service she chose (she scripted the whole thing) was a standard Episcopal service, with all the usual prayers.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:15 am We've Given Religion Too Much Respect
I think I came a little.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Like...just fucking once!
What I mean is that religion has to be challenged, not respectfully welcomed, whenever it sticks its head into politics. Why is every presidential candidate able to proclaim their belief in Jesus with no subsequent pushback? Why do you believe in him? Do you believe in virgin birth? Do you believe in resurrection after death? Do you believe in miracles? Do you believe in science? You can’t believe in both. Whenever a politician nods to the Bible as their inspiration, they should be interrogated. What’s so great about the Bible? Lots of shit in there that seems clearly impossible. Why do you believe it? What else do you believe that could not possibly be true? How do we know you can assess information properly? Why should non-Christians have any confidence that you can serve them when you operate according to a book they do not embrace? Why should any of us have confidence in you as a rational adult if you abandon your reason to this Book of Myths?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Another reason why I'd never run for Congress? Dealing with sociopaths who think I worship the devil when I say I'd rather enjoy doing anything else on Sunday than file into church and sit around people who don't espouse the values of the God they're there for.

I mean, I'd basically just disclose that I'm not religious and I'd become the worst thing in the world to them regardless, but you get my drift.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Staten Island has lost its way

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's like when they show HS Rachel on Friends.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Any other fucking religion and Conservative Christians would be screaming bloody murder.

They do it? Total fine.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I noticed when it was running last night that all the people washing the feet were white. Those having their feet washed were not.

I'm sure there's a "cleanse the sinner" thing going on there somewhere.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

We forgive you for not being white and straight like us. But let's wash that shit off to be sure.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm also annoyed at the gratuitous use of AI or a Photoshop so filtered it looks that way. It does even look like real people.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:47 pm I noticed when it was running last night that all the people washing the feet were white. Those having their feet washed were not.

Nothing to do with theology. Young people are leaving the church in droves mainly due to the religious right's treatment of the underprivileged. It's just an attempt to stop them by making Jesus more relatable. Because you know...young people like to wash other people's feet.

My church used to have a huge potluck on Holy Thursdays to celebrate the last supper, and they made all us CCD kids wash one of the elder parishioner's feet after dinner. It couldn't even be your parents either...like someone you don't know. Fucking nightmare of my childhood.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Lots of good comments on that Instagram post.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:34 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:47 pm I noticed when it was running last night that all the people washing the feet were white. Those having their feet washed were not.

Nothing to do with theology. Young people are leaving the church in droves mainly due to the religious right's treatment of the underprivileged. It's just an attempt to stop them by making Jesus more relatable. Because you know...young people like to wash other people's feet.

My church used to have a huge potluck on Holy Thursdays to celebrate the last supper, and they made all us CCD kids wash one of the elder parishioner's feet after dinner. It couldn't even be your parents either...like someone you don't know. Fucking nightmare of my childhood.
Fuck that nonsense. I had to go to a homeless shelter to serve Thanksgiving dinner one year. That was actually really rewarding. I doubt I would've been made to wash anybody's fucking feet though. It would've split our household. Dad would've backed me, and my mother would've become saddened. And then got over it a few weeks later.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

What's the o/u on people inspired to convert based a creepy 30 second ad of washing people's feet? I'd love to know their thought process on creating this campaign.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if it’s retention and not conversion?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:44 pm What if it’s retention and not conversion?
Right. They're circling the wagons here.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

It’s not about faith, it’s a political play.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:23 pm What's the o/u on people inspired to convert based a creepy 30 second ad of washing people's feet? I'd love to know their thought process on creating this campaign.
I will say this, when I saw the ad live, I automatically looked for overt bigotry and was pleasantly surprised to see them including folks that are more obvious targets of Christian hate - minorities, immigrants, drug users, queers, etc. It was only after thinking about it a bit more - particularly about how much money they spent - that made it more negative in my view.

But I suspect to the vast majority of people who saw it, it was a positive and surprisingly progressive view of Christianity.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:07 am It’s not about faith, it’s a political play.
Shirley wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:36 amI will say this, when I saw the ad live, I automatically looked for overt bigotry and was pleasantly surprised to see them including folks that are more obvious targets of Christian hate - minorities, immigrants, drug users, queers, etc. It was only after thinking about it a bit more - particularly about how much money they spent - that made it more negative in my view.

But I suspect to the vast majority of people who saw it, it was a positive and surprisingly progressive view of Christianity.
*insert They're the Same Picture gif*
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You gotta make your propaganda appealing to the large swath of NPCs allowed to vote in this country.