College Basketball 15-16

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: College Basketball 15-16

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:Jamie Dixon just took the TCU job.
I don't know the Pitt situation very well, but it seems really odd to go from Pitt to TCU. I get that it's Dixon's alma mater, but he's been at Pitt a long time. I have to assume that he's heard grumblings from a somewhat spoiled fanbase after missing the tourney last year and barely making it this year. I'm guessing he saw that as ingratitude and maybe he was feeling some pressure. Still, it's odd to see a good coach take what is essentially a step down. Yes, I get that TCU is in the Big 12, but come on. That program hasn't been to the tournament in like 20 years and really has no hoops history at all.

Now if alma mater fever is running and high and Pitt were to snag Sean Miller .... nah, not gonna happen, but it would be very interesting. Can you even imagine the coaching power in the league if that were to happen? Miller would have to REALLY love Pittsburgh to even consider it though.
I would think the fanbase grumbles are about a 15-11 NCAA record and zero Final Fours in 13 seasons. Both of his NCAA tournament misses have been in last five years. The tourney losses includes a second-round loss to 13-seed Bradley in 2006 (Pitt was a 5-seed) and a second-round loss to 6-seed Xavier in 2010 (Pitt was a 3-seed).

Sean Miller not only played at Pitt, he's from the area. And so is his brother, Archie, who is the head coach at Dayton.

Gregg Marshall is also a pretty decent candidate to jump this offseason with VanVleet and Baker being done at Wichita State.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I definitely think Archie Miller is more likely to jump to Pitt than Sean. Sean has probably a top 5-6 job in the country.

I think Marshall can bide his time and wait for a better gig.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Agreed on Archie, who's probably the current #1 choice on nearly every program's hire list. I was thinking he might be a nice fit at Georgia Tech, but damn if Gregory doesn't have that team winning. They destroyed South Carolina on the road last night in the NIT. Gregory might just keep his job after all.

Of course, NC State fans are lusting after Archie as well (he played there), but Gottfried took State to three (four?) straight NCAAs before missing this year. He's not getting fired.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:Agreed on Archie, who's probably the current #1 choice on nearly every program's hire list. I was thinking he might be a nice fit at Georgia Tech, but damn if Gregory doesn't have that team winning. They destroyed South Carolina on the road last night in the NIT. Gregory might just keep his job after all.

Of course, NC State fans are lusting after Archie as well (he played there), but Gottfried took State to three (four?) straight NCAAs before missing this year. He's not getting fired.
If Georgia Tech did move on from Gregory for some reason, I'm sure someone there would balk at bringing in another guy from Dayton.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Funny to watch all the delusional UNLV fans here think they going to get the top candidates and have them all turn them down. There are some advantages to the UNLV job compared to most high mid-major jobs, but at the end of the day no one is going to pick UNLV over almost any major jobs.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:Funny to watch all the delusional UNLV fans here think they going to get the top candidates and have them all turn them down. There are some advantages to the UNLV job compared to most high mid-major jobs, but at the end of the day no one is going to pick UNLV over almost any major jobs.
Hell, Lon Kruger decided Norman, Oklahoma was a better place to be.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote:Funny to watch all the delusional UNLV fans here think they going to get the top candidates and have them all turn them down. There are some advantages to the UNLV job compared to most high mid-major jobs, but at the end of the day no one is going to pick UNLV over almost any major jobs.
Man funny to think of UNLV as a mid major. Growing up they were the major with Tark.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

UNLV fans are the worst.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Mike Lonergan (George Washington) turned down Rutgers (who tried to get Danny Hurley). Rutgers gets Steve Pikiell from Stony Brook.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

As expected, Pitt apparently reached out to the Miller brothers. And as further expected, both said no.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt ... 1603230091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Oh. And Archie said don't call him either."

"Dammit."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pitt hires Kevin Stallings from Vanderbilt. That is a net loss for Pitt, no matter how they felt about Dixon before he left.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If you're free right now, go to ESPN. They are airing the famous 1966 NCAA championship game which pitted the all-black starting five of Texas Western (UTEP) against the all-white Kentucky team. People were shocked that Kentucky lost. You don't need me to tell you the game's significance, socially.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Just flipped it on. Pat Riley missed three straight shots.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

So in most of the preseason rankings for next season, Duke is #1 due to their monster recruiting class (and a few solid returnees). All of the predictions assumed Grayson Allen was going pro. Well, he's not. Duke is going to be really fucking good next year.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I bet that decision really tripped up the experts ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I thought he was going to CRUZ right into the pros ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Multiple reports saying Josh Pastner is taking the Georgia Tech job.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Multiple reports saying Josh Pastner is taking the Georgia Tech job.
They are literally still openly celebrating in Memphis. My Memphis bb twitter feed is replete with raucous joy.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Multiple reports saying Josh Pastner is taking the Georgia Tech job.
They are literally still openly celebrating in Memphis. My Memphis bb twitter feed is replete with raucous joy.
Yeah, that's really not what you want to see when you're hiring a guy from another school. Kind of a red flag, no?
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
Yeah, that's really not what you want to see when you're hiring a guy from another school. Kind of a red flag, no?
For sure.

I have been away long enough that I have no reaction, but the pure happiness from Tiger fans and even the writers covering the team/talking heads over it is amusing.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

And Donnie Tyndall got himself a 10-year show-cause for some impressive levels of academic fraud and player payment while at Southern Miss, tying Dave Bliss for the record.
The former head coach directed members of his staff to complete fraudulent coursework for seven prospects so they could be immediately eligible to compete. The activity began within six weeks of the former head coach starting at the university, involved the majority of the former coach’s staff and involved approximately half of the prospects the university recruited during a two-year period. The former head coach directed two graduate assistants and a former assistant coach to travel to two-year colleges to complete coursework for prospects.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Impressive. I love that he started cheating almost immediately. I'm gonna guess he wasn't too clean at this previous stop, Morehead State.

(looks it up ... yep)
Wikipedia wrote:In August 2010, the NCAA placed Morehead State on two years' probation for violations by boosters.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

He got canned at Tennessee as soon as Southern Miss got their letter of notification (the list of violations). Just makes me wonder if anyone associated with the Volunteers can even spell "due diligence".

ETA: Frank Haith would be advised to take notes on what is happening.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

La Salle assistant coach (southern recruiting and guard play) Will Bailey joins Travis Ford's staff at St. Louis. Wow, right?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

and Memphis completes head coaching upgrade
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote:and Memphis completes head coaching upgrade

They did for sure, but that's not a long-term fix.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Tubby, huh?

He has to have the record for more jobs at "big" programs, right? (I put big in quotes, because other than Kentucky, he mostly coached at second-tier programs in major conferences. Even though Memphis isn't in a major conference, I still consider it a big time program.)
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colle ... 60722.html

Some amazing/infuriating quotes in there.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Rick Barry's son? Shouldn't we be seeing his grandsons playing college ball by now?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote:http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colle ... 60722.html

1.) Until the NCAA allows more than year-to-year scholarships, they should just keep their mouth shut
2.) They are student-athletes, not indentured servants.
3.) The NCAA should think of this as a reward for a kid who gets his work done in the classroom. Isn't that the point of college.
4.) Maybe Mid Majors should start trying to be big time hoops programs and create an environment where the kids want to use all 4 years of eligibility at the school
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dick Vitale on grad-transfers: "The initial purpose of that rule was very positive. But you can’t convince me that the majority of these graduates are transferring for academics. It’s about basketball. You’re a coach who gives a kid your heart and soul for four years and then all of a sudden the fifth year he runs on you? That’s just not right. Abuse, abuse and abuse."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
mister d wrote:http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colle ... 60722.html

4.) Maybe Mid Majors should start trying to be big time hoops programs and create an environment where the kids want to use all 4 years of eligibility at the school
There's lots of kids who use this rule to transfer TO mid-majors without having to sit out a year. That's how Thomas Rawls ended up at Central Michigan and ended up using that to get to the NFL. I don't think it's a big an issue at that level as some people are making it out to be.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like 150 of our 200 minutes are going to be transfers and 5 of the 6 were former top 100s who weren't ever going to pick La Salle out of HS. And for every one we get coming down to the mid-major level, there's another one who stays at the major level, which is why every f'ing kid tries it out initially. And should. Crying because Auburn or Arizona State lost an upperclassman rotation player to 30 minutes per game at a mid-major is typical star-fucking by Vitale. Just a louder, "more likable" Peter King.

(And to the quote above ... someone ran the numbers on another site and 42% of D1 coaches are currently at 4+ years tenure. The poor hypothetical coach losing that 5th year senior he was so loving and loyal to only hypothetically exists in 2 out of 5 programs.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Oh and Terps pick up L.G. Gill as a grad transfer from Duquesne yesterday.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

UNBELIEVABLE DOESN'T HE CARE AT ALL ABOUT JIM FERRY WHO IS COINCIDENTALLY ENTERING HIS 5TH SEASON AS DUQUESNE'S HEAD COACH AND WHO RECRUITED HIM AND LOVED HIM AND CARED ABOUT HIM AND DEFINITELY WOULDN'T HAVE LEFT HIM WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT IF HE HAD FOR SOME REASON GOTTEN A MAJOR CONFERENCE COACHING OFFER GILL IS EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH COLLEGE BASKETBALL AND KIDS THESE DAYS SMDH!!!!!!!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:Like 150 of our 200 minutes are going to be transfers and 5 of the 6 were former top 100s who weren't ever going to pick La Salle out of HS. And for every one we get coming down to the mid-major level, there's another one who stays at the major level, which is why every f'ing kid tries it out initially. And should. Crying because Auburn or Arizona State lost an upperclassman rotation player to 30 minutes per game at a mid-major is typical star-fucking by Vitale. Just a louder, "more likable" Peter King.

(And to the quote above ... someone ran the numbers on another site and 42% of D1 coaches are currently at 4+ years tenure. The poor hypothetical coach losing that 5th year senior he was so loving and loyal to only hypothetically exists in 2 out of 5 programs.)
Aren't most (if not all) of those transfer "classic" transfers though (who have to sit out a year).?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

5 out of 6, although we've had one or two waivers in the past. The article focused on the entire "epidemic" of transferring, just the money quote was about grads.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Got it. Yeah I don't think too many coaches are worked in a tizzy over "regular" transfers though I see now the data in the article covered all transfers not just grad transfers.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I couldn't even finish that article. I don't think it mentioned once that most of these "impatient" kids have to sit out for a full year after transferring. I guess that would have invalidated his argument, so he ignored it.

I agree that as a fan, I prefer to see kids stay at the same schools, but I also get that that's a completely selfish and bullshit reason. If kids want to transfer, why not? As Delaware pointed out, players still change schools less frequently than coaches.

That said, I do think it's interesting that transfers have exploded, and it would be interesting to really understand why, but that article wasn't even close to finding the reason.
Totally Kafkaesque