College Basketball 15-16

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

College Basketball 15-16

Post by A_B »

Florida player sets all time best points per arm average!

That's not really close to true. Not sure what I was thinking there. The point is a one-armed guy scored.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: College Basketball 15-16

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote:Florida player sets all time best points per arm average!

That's not really close to true. Not sure what I was thinking there. The point is a one-armed guy scored.
ESPN wrote:Hodskins drove to the hoop in the final minute and sank the bucket despite getting fouled. He missed the free throw -- but coaches, teammates and the crowd didn't care.
Guessing he drove to the right side of the lane....okay just saw the video...spun on the defender

Also has already picked up 3 Trillions on the year.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Like Steph, if I could be like Steph.........

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog ... revolution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Tonight's about the most excited I'll be as a neutral (if you can call it that given it's Kansas-Oklahoma) before the tournament.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Good call bronto. Couldn't stay up though. Made it to end of regulations
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

If you missed that game, don't feel bad. The Best Player in the Country, Ben Simmons, plays tonight on ESPN!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote:If you missed that game, don't feel bad. The Best Player in the Country, Ben Simmons, plays tonight on ESPN!
Yeah, I saw that little graphic and was a little amused. Weird thing to promote with so blatantly.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:Good call bronto. Couldn't stay up though. Made it to end of regulations
I feel my college basketball regular season has peaked. And once again, I miss Big 12 basketball. I still watch about 60% Big 12 basketball in CBB season.

The game was also a fun way of watching how a stat on Twitter gets taken and spread. During the third OT I wondered how many points Kansas football had scored all Big 12 season. So I went and looked. 108. Holy shit, Kansas basketball has a chance to surpass that. So I tweeted it with the Jayhawks at 102.

The tweet is mildly picked up and one sports site in particular with 16+K followers RTs it with a comment. KU, as you know, gets to 109. The site then parrots out the stat again three tweets later and it goes bonkers with retweets and likes while other sportswriters pick up on it. It's mildly amusing and also annoying. Not that I want total credit for a stat anyone could have looked up, but don't try to sound original for something someone else told you three minutes earlier.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A_B wrote:
Rex wrote:If you missed that game, don't feel bad. The Best Player in the Country, Ben Simmons, plays tonight on ESPN!
Yeah, I saw that little graphic and was a little amused. Weird thing to promote with so blatantly.
Pretty obvious this year that ESPN got instructions from its business partner to start selling SEC basketball and to make it look like something other than a Kentucky Globetrotters tour.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Too bad college basketball has a tournament and regular season games are unexciting and meaningless.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, that was a great game. The only thing it missed were some game winners/tiers at one of the various "ends." I thought it was unfortunate that the key play happened because the ref didn't enforce the rule granting space to the inbounder. The Kansas kid was literally touching him (which I think is supposed to be a technical).

Quite a back-to-back set of games on ESPN with UNC-FSU just before (with nearly as many points). Brice Johnson's game (39 and 23) was incredible.

It was all NEARLY enough to make me forget UVA getting their asses whipped by Virginia Tech. OK, it wasn't nearly enough. That sucked.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:Yeah, that was a great game. The only thing it missed were some game winners/tiers at one of the various "ends." I thought it was unfortunate that the key play happened because the ref didn't enforce the rule granting space to the inbounder. The Kansas kid was literally touching him (which I think is supposed to be a technical).

Quite a back-to-back set of games on ESPN with UNC-FSU just before (with nearly as many points). Brice Johnson's game (39 and 23) was incredible.
I got a technical in junior high for not leaving enough space for the inbounder.

And Johnson may get more rebounds than that on Saturday against Syracuse.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Shirley wrote:Yeah, that was a great game. The only thing it missed were some game winners/tiers at one of the various "ends." I thought it was unfortunate that the key play happened because the ref didn't enforce the rule granting space to the inbounder. The Kansas kid was literally touching him (which I think is supposed to be a technical).

I got a technical in junior high for not leaving enough space for the inbounder.

For as good as the game was, the officiating was atrocious. That was at least the fifth "interesting" call that had severe impact on the game. Off the top of my head:

- missed basket interference vs. Kansas early. OU got 1 point instead of 3 out of it (two free throws instead of and-one)
- the call vs. Mason that was all ball and the subsequent technical of Self because Self blew up because he saw it right next to the referee
- the double technical vs. Selden and Woodard that came immediately after they exchanged words. It was really damn quick.
- the over the back call with 2.1 seconds left was borderline and came from John Higgins behind the play vs. the official under the basket
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Also, the game was John Higgins' fourth in four days. He was in Arizona on Sunday. Outside of my opinion of last night's officiating, I think a rule like "no more than three games in four days" is not a bad idea.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

For as good as the game was, the officiating was atrocious. That was at least the fifth "interesting" call that had severe impact on the game. Off the top of my head:

- missed basket interference vs. Kansas early. OU got 1 point instead of 3 out of it (two free throws instead of and-one)
- the call vs. Mason that was all ball and the subsequent technical of Self because Self blew up because he saw it right next to the referee
- the double technical vs. Selden and Woodard that came immediately after they exchanged words. It was really damn quick.
- the over the back call with 2.1 seconds left was borderline and came from John Higgins behind the play vs. the official under the basket
That over the back call wasn't borderline at all, I didn't think. Ellis (?) slammed into that guy. The problem was that they missed the pretty obvious foul that led to the missed shot to begin with.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

That over the back call wasn't borderline at all, I didn't think. Ellis (?) slammed into that guy. The problem was that they missed the pretty obvious foul that led to the missed shot to begin with.
How did I forget Mason getting whacked in the face?

It was Traylor. I felt he had the ball before he touched Lattin and where the call came from was a tad odd too. I'm also not used to seeing anything of that nature go against Kansas so late that it could have changed the outcome of the game.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Tough game last night for my boys. No cohesion. Cal still hasn't figured out rotations, and I was railing on that in the first half before the foul trouble got so bad.

Simmons played decent, but wasn't a world beater at all. Great court vision, but may be too tentative on offense. Before I said he was Lebron without the body, but he really isn't close to that standard yet. Hell, the best player on the court was Quarterman.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

This is probably the worst Syracuse team in Boeheim's tenure. Last year, had they not pulled the plug on their own postseason, they would have likely made the NIT. I don't know if this group can make the CBI.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Lots of upsets last night.

Watched the Terps v. Michigan. Robinson shot really well in the first half (very impressive for a kid who transferred from Williams). Melo had a very off night. Because of his 1st half foul trouble, Michigan could do some things on defense that frustrated the Terps. Solid coaching there.

Something that frustrated me. Varum Ram. Started his college career at Trinity (D3), transfer walk on to MD, 4.0 student, and now a grad student with a scholarship. Big defensive play in round of 32 last year (probably got away with a foul). Anyway, played 14 minutes last night. Usually a guy who Mark Titus would be watching for his trillions. Very good on the defensive side of the ball. Tough on ball and quick feet (shuffled with guys in a full sprint). Really caused problems for Michigan by pressing the point guard and smart off ball/weak side positioning. Great. But on offensive they hid him in the corner. Terps would not even pass to him. So Michigan was playing 5 against 4. Maryland could not drive the basket or throw it to the blocks because it was a double team or extra guy in the passing lane.

Also Laymen is a strange player. Not sure he is a consistent shooter but gets some crazy rebounds by coming in late from the outside.

Also Jared Nickens....supposed be to a shooter.....17 minutes and no points (0-4 from 3)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

B1G scheduling is strange. Just realized the Terps play Northwestern again 17 days after their first meeting and before playing other B1G schools. Similar thing will happen with the games against Ohio State and Purdue. However Michigan and Wisconsin games are spread pretty far apart. TV? Travel reasons?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

wlu_lax6 wrote:B1G scheduling is strange. Just realized the Terps play Northwestern again 17 days after their first meeting and before playing other B1G schools. Similar thing will happen with the games against Ohio State and Purdue. However Michigan and Wisconsin games are spread pretty far apart. TV? Travel reasons?
Missouri plays Georgia on Jan. 20.

They played each other on Jan. 6.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, the ACC has some of that weird scheduling too. The reason is TV. They try to move as many of the marquee games as they can into February and March. That's when more of the country is paying attention to college basketball instead of football. Kind of stupid, I think, but whatever.

BTW, a huge win for UVA last night over Miami. They had lost their last two, road games to VT and GT. Neither of those teams will finish in the top half of the ACC (well, GT might squeak in there), but neither are terrible either. Buzz Williams at VT is a very good coach who has them improving quickly and they have the kind of quick, aggressive guards that can give the packline trouble. GT is pretty well balanced and they've lost a crazy number of close games over the past two seasons - they were due.

With the win over Miami, UVA now has three wins over AP top 11 teams - Nova, WVU, and Miami. Those teams have a combined 5 total losses.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Lots of upsets last night.

Watched the Terps v. Michigan. Robinson shot really well in the first half (very impressive for a kid who transferred from Williams). Melo had a very off night. Because of his 1st half foul trouble, Michigan could do some things on defense that frustrated the Terps. Solid coaching there.

Something that frustrated me. Varum Ram. Started his college career at Trinity (D3), transfer walk on to MD, 4.0 student, and now a grad student with a scholarship. Big defensive play in round of 32 last year (probably got away with a foul). Anyway, played 14 minutes last night. Usually a guy who Mark Titus would be watching for his trillions. Very good on the defensive side of the ball. Tough on ball and quick feet (shuffled with guys in a full sprint). Really caused problems for Michigan by pressing the point guard and smart off ball/weak side positioning. Great. But on offensive they hid him in the corner. Terps would not even pass to him. So Michigan was playing 5 against 4. Maryland could not drive the basket or throw it to the blocks because it was a double team or extra guy in the passing lane.

Also Laymen is a strange player. Not sure he is a consistent shooter but gets some crazy rebounds by coming in late from the outside.

Also Jared Nickens....supposed be to a shooter.....17 minutes and no points (0-4 from 3)

That's the first time MI has beaten a KenPom Top 50 team in what seems like forever. They caught the Terps at a good time, I think. They just looked mentally tired to me. There was a point in the middle of the second half where they were just going through the motions, which is when MI ran the lead up to double digits. Turgeon called a timeout and from there it was a battle to the end.

I'd also like to say, for the record... Yes, Trimble had an off day. MI was playing without its best player for the third straight game (Levert.)

(Oh, and Layman was a MI transfer... He was deadly last night.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Sure, there's a little football being played today, but man there's been some great college hoops as well.

Notre Dame upset Duke in Cameron. Auburn beat Kentucky for the first time in something like 19 years. Clemson continued their crazy ACC start by beating Miami. West Virginia damn near pulled off back-to-back wins over 1 & 2, but lost narrowly to Oklahoma in Norman.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

U.K. Is really struggling on road. We are not a balanced
Team. Really
Weak inside.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:U.K. Is really struggling on road. We are not a balanced
Team. Really
Weak inside.
I'm interesting to see how much truth is/was in Cal's comments after the game that officials have become afraid to call the game differently this year.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Eh. He talks. And it matters but not as much as he would like. Officiating is not why we lost tonight.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley wrote:Sure, there's a little football being played today, but man there's been some great college hoops as well.

Notre Dame upset Duke in Cameron. Auburn beat Kentucky for the first time in something like 19 years. Clemson continued their crazy ACC start by beating Miami. West Virginia damn near pulled off back-to-back wins over 1 & 2, but lost narrowly to Oklahoma in Norman.
Baylor wins on a buzzer beater against Tubby Smith's Texas Tech.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:Eh. He talks. And it matters but not as much as he would like. Officiating is not why we lost tonight.
Well, no, not why UK lost Saturday. But just how much truth there is to it. I haven't watched enough CBB this year yet to make a determination myself.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

And now Duke has last lost three in a row, two at home. They just lost to a Syracuse team that had recently come out of a four-game losing streak of their own.

The ACC is completely unpredictable this season.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Why stop at 3? 11 is on the table with that schedule. A bit like Kentucky in 2013 (and 2016 perhaps), the one and done strategy is only as good as the incoming class....
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

3 of the 5 #1s this season have gone down thanks to a school in Iowa. And three different ones at that. Seems like a pretty random stat.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:And now Duke has last lost three in a row, two at home. They just lost to a Syracuse team that had recently come out of a four-game losing streak of their own.

Do not understand why they didn't use Plumlee more while shooting 37 threes.

EDIT: I also am expecting that Krzyzewski blowing off the last half of the Syracuse team in the handshake line isn't getting much play outside of Orange fan base. Is that correct?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Shirley wrote:And now Duke has last lost three in a row, two at home. They just lost to a Syracuse team that had recently come out of a four-game losing streak of their own.

EDIT: I also am expecting that Krzyzewski blowing off the last half of the Syracuse team in the handshake line isn't getting much play outside of Orange fan base. Is that correct?
Didn't Plumlee have something like 19 and 17 in that game? Those were practically his career totals coming into this season. I'm not sure how much more you could ask of him.

I saw the K handshake Vine in my Twitter feed, so it hasn't been completely ignored. I'm pretty sure it's a bigger deal in Syracuse though.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

Didn't Plumlee have something like 19 and 17 in that game? Those were practically his career totals coming into this season. I'm not sure how much more you could ask of him.
I don't watch Duke if at all possible, so it is an honest question when I ask: Do they ever post Plumlee up? For large portions of the game, Syracuse runs out a 6'8" 205-pound freshman at center. Plumlee certainly had no problems rebounding and scoring after, so it seems like he could have done more.

I get that teams mostly don't post up any more. Roberson had 14 and 20 boards for SU last night and him getting used in pick-and-roll last night is the first time they've done that his 2 1/2 years. Normally, he only gets touches by chasing down a rebound, so I understand not posting up a guy if he simply can't do it. Just seems that there should be some advantage for Plumlee posting instead of having 2/3 of their FGs be threes.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Well, Duke is clearly broken right now. Honestly, their bigger problem has been defense (much like the last 3-4 years) and rebounding. The offense has been occasionally great, but they didn't seem to know what to do against that zone yesterday other than jack 3s. You're right that it looked like Plumlee had a lot of room if they wanted to dump it in there. I guess that's just not part of their offense. They only throw it to him on lobs.

What's weird is they have a kid on the bench, Sean Obi, who transferred from Rice after averaging over 9 boards/game as a freshman. He is now a redshirt junior, I think, but he never plays. Surely a team that only plays a few guys and clearly can't rebound could find minutes for someone who seems like such a natural rebounder. I don't get it. K seems to bury talented kids on the bench for no obvious reasons (kind like Gbinije a few years ago).
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BTW, UVA is hosting ACC titan Clemson tonight. It's an absolute must win at this point. Sounds crazy to say for a game against Clemson this early, but Virginia needs to get back on track. And then they need to find a way to win a road game or two.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Plumlee has been at Duke for 5 years now and he's never shown much ability to do anything with his back to the basket. He has one little baby hook move that is money from 2 feet, that's about it. The strategy that Duke would have liked to play against Syracuse was to have Amile Jefferson set up at the foul line as a sort of target man. Not totally sure why they didn't try that with Ingram, maybe they just felt it was too far outside his comfort zone. But no, they are not going to employ a lot of post offense. If Jahlil Okafor post offense made the Duke offense less efficient than it otherwise was (it's a fact!), then certainly Marshall Plumlee post offense would do the same.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Thank you both for your explanations.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Kansas could have seized the Big 12 tonight. Instead... nope.

And if KU would have won, there was a chance ISU could have hosted No. 1 two straight Mondays.