Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie »

I was lucky enough to attend that tour a year ago when it was going on. His show in Tucson was the night after the Phoenix taping.

Between him and Bill Burr I can't stop laughing. They're both so good. Here's some additional stuff from it.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:39 am I've only seen the Ted Cruz bit and if that's the funniest thing, it'll be awesome.
I love a shot at Ted Cruz as much as anybody, and the Cruz bit doesnt crack the top 5 from the special. Stuff about his parents and kids were the best.

Johnnie, thanks for posting the documentary, very cool.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The bit about Ted Cruz, like the majority of bits comedians do, especially when preceded by "I swear to God this is true..." or "I seriously can't make this up," isn't true.

Funny, but not true.

ETA

Not saying he isn't worth shooting at or that funny bits about him aren't worth working out comically, I just find they don't land that hard.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah it definitely felt fabricated. Especially if you know Austin and paid attention to news about Ted Cruz and his primary residence in the last few years. I mean, it’s certainly possible he owns homes in Houston and Austin, but sadly Houston is his primary residence outside DC and now I’m wondering why the fuck I would bring up this awful fact.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The accuracy:

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

If you haven’t had the chance check out Shane Gillis’ YouTube special. One line he had had me crying/laughing going down the road. Honestly thought about pulling over so I could catch my breath. Full disclosure, probably a little baked, but still funny. Dark humor. Who knew having an alcoholic dad and a junkie sister could be so funny.

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

bfj wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:07 pm If you haven’t had the chance check out Shane Gillis’ YouTube special. One line he had had me crying/laughing going down the road. Honestly thought about pulling over so I could catch my breath. Full disclosure, probably a little baked, but still funny. Dark humor. Who knew having an alcoholic dad and a junkie sister could be so funny.

A new hour from him just dropped on Netflix.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The wife and I are going to see Natasha Leggero tomorrow night, and then Gary Gulman on Wednesday. Fun!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:22 pm The wife and I are going to see Natasha Leggero tomorrow night, and then Gary Gulman on Wednesday. Fun!
Hell yeah! The wife and I are at Matteo Lane right now.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:29 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:22 pm The wife and I are going to see Natasha Leggero tomorrow night, and then Gary Gulman on Wednesday. Fun!
Hell yeah! The wife and I are at Matteo Lane right now.
So I just watched some YouTube of Mateo Lane. Funny.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anthony Jeselnik is coming to town net year. Tickets go on sale soon.

Also, I'm sure some of you heard that over a month ago The New Yorker wrote a deep dive into Hasan Minhaj's standup stories and painted him as a bad guy.

A few days ago, he responded to it with receipts:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Why is anyone surprised a comedian changed some of the facts in a story to make it better for his comedy special? Nobody ever said it was 100% true, and none of the facts he changed are even that important. People suck. I was thinking about getting tix to see Jeselnik in NJ, but the date didn't work out. Bummed, he is fantastic.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’ve seen from a couple of comedians that embellishing is the nature of the beast. Hell making stuff out of whole cloth is fine. I guess this issue was it was a hot point/sensitive subject and was making home look like more of an authority/voice of reason than is true.

I haven’t watched his response yet.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I dunno. He's not just a comedian, he's also a political commentator. And his exaggerations were politically charged - not to make stories funnier, but to make the political point more persuasively. He's clearly trying to come across as someone who is conveying information in addition to being amusing.

(We saw the King's Jester show when it came here on tour. We loved it.)

I don't think it's a big deal to exaggerate about something that happened with your wife or your boss or what happened on a flight or whatever. Like I don't think that dude's mother really sits around the house. But he's apparently gone beyond that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’m not sure how one can defend the reporter after watching that. They clearly included a lot of out of context jabs in that article. Steve’s concerns are clearly addressed IMO.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:00 pm I’ve seen from a couple of comedians that embellishing is the nature of the beast.
Next you'll be telling me that Bert Kreischer didn't really join the Russian Mafia!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:27 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:00 pm I’ve seen from a couple of comedians that embellishing is the nature of the beast.
Next you'll be telling me that Bert Kreischer didn't really join the Russian Mafia!
He addressed that in his movie. BTW, watched it a couple nights ago. Felt like an incredibly low budget half-baked idea, but it was fin for what it was. Almost a parody of action movies at times. Mark Hamill was really good playing Bert's father.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

This is one of the dumbest controversies imaginable.

He's a comic/monologuist not a journalist. Jesus! What the fuck is wrong with people that they have to make an actual issue out of this?
Canadian International
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:10 pm Anthony Jeselnik is coming to town net year. Tickets go on sale soon.
Wife and I saw him here in Denver a couple weeks ago. Good show...his typical stuff...but I don't think it was his best.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:31 pm
He addressed that in his movie. BTW, watched it a couple nights ago. Felt like an incredibly low budget half-baked idea, but it was fin for what it was. Almost a parody of action movies at times. Mark Hamill was really good playing Bert's father.
A movie like that can be made for me by one scene or line. And for this one it was
[+] spoiler
Did I do that?!?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:02 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:31 pm
A movie like that can be made for me by one scene or line. And for this one it was
[+] spoiler
Did I do that?!?
I was high and nodding off. That line shocked me awake. I rewound to hear the setup.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:44 pm This is one of the dumbest controversies imaginable.

He's a comic/monologuist not a journalist. Jesus! What the fuck is wrong with people that they have to make an actual issue out of this?
In fairness, Hasan does try to portray himself as a journalist, or at least a political commentator (like Anderson Cooper or maybe Jon Stewart). If he is inventing racist and religious bigotry that happened to him, it goes beyond embellishing a funny story.

Based on what he showed in that video, it does seem like the NYT journalist ignored facts to make their point - the same thing she accused Hasan of! But I don't think that covered all the various stories he was accused of making up. I suspect that, like usual, the truth is somewhere in between.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Lots of Jersey talk at the Chris Gethard show I saw this weekend. Thought of you guys.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:13 pm I’m not sure how one can defend the reporter after watching that. They clearly included a lot of out of context jabs in that article. Steve’s concerns are clearly addressed IMO.

Just the first part of his response completely eviscerates the reporter. Really shitty "journalism."

Judges: Ironic?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Matt Rife is getting dragged online these last couple days because of his opening joke in his latest special that makes fun of domestic violence. His fanbase is mostly female. (He got TikTok famous for his crowd work and because he's a good looking dude.)

When called out for his 'joke' he doubled down by sharing a link to...special needs helmets. Apparently he just wants to be one of the bros, so he's nuking his credibility to do so.

If none of you know who Matt Rife is, I totally understand. For one, I was amused that he recovered from this incident in 2017 with Zendaya to even get to this level:

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:09 am If none of you know who Matt Rife is, I totally understand.
I only have heard his name because of hearing it from other comedians on various podcasts. Not surprisingly, they all hate that guy.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

I found Michelle Wolf's new Netflix shows to be very funny.
Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:09 am Matt Rife is getting dragged online these last couple days because of his opening joke in his latest special that makes fun of domestic violence. His fanbase is mostly female. (He got TikTok famous for his crowd work and because he's a good looking dude.)

When called out for his 'joke' he doubled down by sharing a link to...special needs helmets. Apparently he just wants to be one of the bros, so he's nuking his credibility to do so.

If none of you know who Matt Rife is, I totally understand. For one, I was amused that he recovered from this incident in 2017 with Zendaya to even get to this level:

TT, on facebook wrote:If you found Matt Rife's jokes "controversial" please unfollow me, cause you definitely won't like the stuff I'm trying right now

#ActualDarkComedy
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So good...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

I was crying while watching that
Canadian International
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've watched it three times already. Hilarious.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s always a really great segment but did anyone else feel like …
[+] spoiler
… both the Michael Jackson and Coretta Scott King jokes should have been standlones? Those were both 10s but each had another joke mashed in.
Also am I a dumbshit for believing they really don’t see the jokes ahead of time?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yeah, I don't think either of them are that good at pretending but that somehow doesn't help clear it up
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I believe it, because it’s funnier if they are reading it for the first time live.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:40 pm It’s always a really great segment but did anyone else feel like …
[+] spoiler
… both the Michael Jackson and Coretta Scott King jokes should have been standlones? Those were both 10s but each had another joke mashed in.
Also am I a dumbshit for believing they really don’t see the jokes ahead of time?
The non-scripted laughter when they see the punchline is the funniest part of this bit, and I guess they could pull that off even if they'd already read them, but this is one of those things I'm just going to believe is true just so it doesn't ruin it for me. It's like how I still believe Drinking Outta Cups is narrated by a dude having an acid trip in a broom closet.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

How have I never seen that video before? I blame all of you, I count on you to curate pop culture and the internet for me. Acid trip in a closet is about the only explanation. Not my chair, not my problem.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:09 pm How have I never seen that video before? I blame all of you, I count on you to curate pop culture and the internet for me. Acid trip in a closet is about the only explanation. Not my chair, not my problem.
I'm certain I posted it on AofG back in the day so my due diligence is accounted for here.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nope...didn't have a clue.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've never seen that Drinkin Outta Cups video. Kinda funny.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Like, Hattie Davis? There's nothing more believable than that lady's name being Hattie Davis.
Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:19 pm I've never seen that Drinkin Outta Cups video. Kinda funny.
It's infinitely funnier when you accept the the clear, unquestionable truth that this guys' friends recorded him having an acid trip in a closet and then animated it like that. Facts ain't taking that from me.