Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:On one of the Deadspin podcasts a while back, I think it was Magary who made what I thought was a good point: the Marvel movies are successful because they are made for kids, while the DC movies are made for 40-year-olds who still take comics seriously.
I'm pretty sure Deadpool wasn't made for kids, and it was awesome.
I don't think an exception necessarily disproves the theory. Then there's also the fact that it took years of griping and pleading from fans for them to make the movie in the first place.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnny Carwash wrote:On one of the Deadspin podcasts a while back, I think it was Magary who made what I thought was a good point: the Marvel movies are successful because they are made for kids, while the DC movies are made for 40-year-olds who still take comics seriously.
I totally disagree with that assessment. The DC movies have been much less faithful to the nature of the characters being adapted, which is the sort of thing a kid won't care about but will enrage a 40 year old nerd.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Watched Deadpool tonight. Was not impressed. Tried a little too hard.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Thanks for the heads up - perfect.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

John C. Reilly in the Lobster is fantastic. Strange, dark movie with very muted colors and personalities, but a different story.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I watched No Country for Old Men last night for the first time in years (it's on Amazon Prime right now). What a fucking masterpiece. Seriously, every bit of that movie approaches perfection. Javier Bardem rightly got a lot of acclaim for his performance, but for me, Tommy Lee Jones was the best part of that movie. Best works he's ever done.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Shirley wrote:I watched No Country for Old Men last night for the first time in years (it's on Amazon Prime right now). What a fucking masterpiece. Seriously, every bit of that movie approaches perfection. Javier Bardem rightly got a lot of acclaim for his performance, but for me, Tommy Lee Jones was the best part of that movie. Best works he's ever done.
Co-sign. What I love about that movie is how little dialogue there is. Instead, the settings and the acting itself tells the story, and you just don't see that in movies very often.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I can watch No Country every few months which is saying something for a movie as brutal as it is. Completely agree on its genius. I like the way the Coens twist some of the typical film-making conventions to make you think Josh Brolin's character is the protagonist. Then you get upended about 3/4ths the way through the film.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

What's shocking to me is that it's only 166 on IMDB's top 250 movies. I won't bother listing all of the inferior movies above it. I guess maybe the violence and hopelessness of it bothers people such that they rate the movie lower? Surely nobody reasonable can say it's a bad movie.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Fun fact: I call my wife sitting on my face the "No Country for Old Men" because she was doing exactly that when it won Best Picture at the Oscars in 2008.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

[quote="Giff"] "No C..unt.. for Old Men"

Is that your way of saying Howard, HDO and Sancarlos aren't invited to join you and your wife?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
Giff wrote: "No C..unt.. for Old Men"

Is that your way of saying Howard, HDO and Sancarlos aren't invited to join you and your wife?
No, no it's not. Howard gets past the first round of interviews because he gave us Giants tickets where we saw her favorite pitcher of all-time take the mound. I think Sancarlos' wife would be pissed. HDO has awesome taste in music, so he's past the first round too.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:I watched No Country for Old Men last night for the first time in years (it's on Amazon Prime right now). What a fucking masterpiece. Seriously, every bit of that movie approaches perfection. Javier Bardem rightly got a lot of acclaim for his performance, but for me, Tommy Lee Jones was the best part of that movie. Best works he's ever done.
It's a phenomenal movie, and it adheres really closely to the (excellent) novel.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Giff wrote: No, no it's not. Howard gets past the first round of interviews because he gave us Giants tickets where we saw her favorite pitcher of all-time take the mound. I think Sancarlos' wife would be pissed. HDO has awesome taste in music, so he's past the first round too.
As I always say, the true honor is being nominated.

And No Country is an awesome movie, but compared to the other Coen Bros films that I often rewatch, that one gets fewer viewings than it deserves because it is so damn intense. More often I'd rather spend two hours with Barton Fink, Ed Crane, Ulysses Everett McGill, Hi and Ed or even Jerry Lundergaard than with Anton Chigurh.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I co-sign the love for Coen Brothers movies. And, that movie is certainly intense.

Ps: Giff is right. If Mrs. sck ever even suspected I had extra-marital whoopie, I'd likely come to a quick, painful demise.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The movie I wrote is getting a one-day theatrical release ahead of a full blitz on the Disney networks around the English-speaking world.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 15/.106260

It's no "Citizen Kane," but it's a living!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That is awesome! I'll try to check it out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Congratulations Pruitt, great job!
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

On my way to see sully. And also just watched he end of captain Philips. I can't quit Tom hanks.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote:That is awesome! I'll try to check it out.
Coming to Disney. I wrote half the episodes for the second season which is airing now. A silly show, but some of it's kinda funny.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Wow. Movie was short. Well done but the trailers are misleading. Sully that is.

I remember texting with hood when that happened. He was in Manhattan for 9/11 and it was basically a PTSD trigger. Not really but bad memories.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched A walk in the woods. God for as great of a book as that was the movie paled. Nolte was pretty great but God Redford was boring as hell.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watched One Wall: Kings of Coney Island. This is a documentary about the One Wall Handball National Championships. What an interesting set of characters. Back in college I had to write an paper for intro to Anthology. I would be very interested in an academic study of these folks. Maybe it is just because I am not a New Yorker...but these characters were great.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote:The movie I wrote is getting a one-day theatrical release ahead of a full blitz on the Disney networks around the English-speaking world.

Wait - you wrote the largest grossing film in Japan for 2015? What are you doing with us losers?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Damn, I didn't read to the bottom of the linked page. 7.8 billion yen, thats like what, six, seven thousand bucks?

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Pruitt wrote:The movie I wrote is getting a one-day theatrical release ahead of a full blitz on the Disney networks around the English-speaking world.

Wait - you wrote the largest grossing film in Japan for 2015? What are you doing with us losers?
If I got my IMDB correct, there are probably some swamp folk who think you owe them several shots for having a writing credit on Paw Patrol. And I want to know if GPJ influenced "The Day My Butt Went Psycho!".
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:

If I got my IMDB correct, there are probably some swamp folk who think you owe them several shots for having a writing credit on Paw Patrol. And I want to know if GPJ influenced "The Day My Butt Went Psycho!".
Yeah, I'm a legend among Kindergarteners.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:Damn, I didn't read to the bottom of the linked page. 7.8 billion yen, thats like what, six, seven thousand bucks?
That's 80 million. And the sequel was released the same weekend as the latest T'Star Wars" movie and outgrossed it for the first three weeks.

And most importantly of all... the cheques clear, and I get to write fart jokes.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I bet the Japanese are big on fart jokes.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My 2.5 year old doesn't know yet that the Paw Patrol aren't real, but once he does, you'll be his hero.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote:My 2.5 year old doesn't know yet that the Paw Patrol aren't real, but once he does, you'll be his hero.
The kids love it!

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh fuck, really? Are you the guy who invented Tracker? Is Ryder's voice different because the same kid is aging or because its a new kid?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:Oh fuck, really? Are you the guy who invented Tracker? Is Ryder's voice different because the same kid is aging or because its a new kid?
Yes. No. Not sure.

I wrote on the first two seasons, and Tracker was introduced in the third.

This is the show I've been working on pretty much full time for the past year. High-quality educational content for the young ones!

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote:
mister d wrote:Oh fuck, really? Are you the guy who invented Tracker? Is Ryder's voice different because the same kid is aging or because its a new kid?
Yes. No. Not sure.

I wrote on the first two seasons, and Tracker was introduced in the third.

This is the show I've been working on pretty much full time for the past year. High-quality educational content for the young ones!

I love the idea of Pruitt sitting in front of his computer writing "Long Wet..followed by purple gas wrapping around head"
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This really is the best gig I've had in more than 20 years.

And it would be written like this -
Cheeksqueek tenses and then <FARTS - Continues>. Purple mist shoots out of his "mouth."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well done. Made me want to fart afterwards.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I laughed, I cried…I farted. (It was better than Cats)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:I laughed, I cried…I farted. (It was better than Cats)
Well, duh! Intense stomach cramps are better than Cats