Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Re: Movies

Post by Tom 1860 »

Napoleon was not good, in fact I found it really hard to watch
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Iron claw was pretty good but the editor needed a bit more control over the last 20 minutes.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Enjoyed Ferrari, even if Penelope Cruz's accent veers away from Italian, and back to Spanish, at highly emotional moments.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watch Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning (part one) last night, and really enjoyed it. Fun action movie.

And Tom Cruise is gonna die making one of these.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Boys In The Boat. Decent sports movie that missed the key beats and theme of the book. But good choice for a matinee movie or when it streams on Amazon.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:38 pm YUP

I'm just now seeing this and I'm like HELL YES.

Some years back I volunteered at Santa Fe Comic Con and got to hang out with Nathan Jones (Rictus Erectus) for a couple hours. Despite being this massive, hulking figure he's very shy and felt out of place there. His wife is awesome. She was the polar opposite. Completely outgoing and a social butterfly.

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:25 pm TIL its Anya and not Anna. How long has she been famous?

I sometimes wonder what the hell is wrong with me.
What's even better is the way she tells you to remember how to pronounce it: "It's Anya. Like aneurysm."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:43 pm Boys In The Boat. Decent sports movie that missed the key beats and theme of the book. But good choice for a matinee movie or when it streams on Amazon.
I think that George Clooney is just not a good director. "Good night and good luck" was pretty good, but beyond that...not so much.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:54 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:43 pm Boys In The Boat. Decent sports movie that missed the key beats and theme of the book. But good choice for a matinee movie or when it streams on Amazon.
I think that George Clooney is just not a good director. "Good night and good luck" was pretty good, but beyond that...not so much.
I don't think it was director on this. Screen play and producers have to take the fall.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:42 pm Iron claw was pretty good but the editor needed a bit more control over the last 20 minutes.
Just to follow up on this. It's certainly awards bait type of movie. I just think they picked a bad year. Jeremy Allen White could get a supporting actor nomination, and Zac Efron was way better than most would think. I happen to think both of them will win an oscar at some point, so save this in your hot takes file for down the line. (And White COULD win this year because he was fantastic, but the supporting actor field is stacked this year. But I'm saying enjoy season 3 of the bear because after that, Carmie's going to holllywood full time).
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Ringer's Sean Fennessey's 100 best movies of 2023.

https://letterboxd.com/seanfennessey/list/best-of-2023/
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:40 am
A_B wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:42 pm Iron claw was pretty good but the editor needed a bit more control over the last 20 minutes.
Just to follow up on this. It's certainly awards bait type of movie. I just think they picked a bad year. Jeremy Allen White could get a supporting actor nomination, and Zac Efron was way better than most would think. I happen to think both of them will win an oscar at some point, so save this in your hot takes file for down the line. (And White COULD win this year because he was fantastic, but the supporting actor field is stacked this year. But I'm saying enjoy season 3 of the bear because after that, Carmie's going to holllywood full time).
I've been curious about how the changes to the world of putting out movies and TV shows would affect the release of "Oscar bait" movies. It's been tradition for certain movies to get at least a limited release in the last couple weeks of eligibility for the Oscars, keeping them fresh in voters' minds for both the nomination and voting phases. For example, "Good Will Hunting" to a limited release in December 1997 before receiving a national release in January 1998.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

After Tom Wilkinson passed away recently, I read a number of glowing reports on Michael Clayton, here and elsewhere. Somehow, the wife and I had never seen it. So we just watched it today. Man, what a great film! Can certainly see why it earned so many Academy Award nominations. Better late than never!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:24 pm After Tom Wilkinson passed away recently, I read a number of glowing reports on Michael Clayton, here and elsewhere. Somehow, the wife and I had never seen it. So we just watched it today. Man, what a great film! Can certainly see why it earned so many Academy Award nominations. Better late than never!
Tilda Swinton is so damn good in that movie.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

11 years later finally watching White House Down and man, what a fun flick.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Poor Things was, like the book interesting
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Holdovers was really good. Giamatti was his usual self, but with more depth than some of his previous characters. Based on watching very few other movies this year, I'm thinking he's gonna grab an Oscar. Lock for a nomination, for sure.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Watched it last night, also really liked it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A couple buddies and I have Monday off for MLK Day.

We're going to the movies to watch American Fiction.

If you're checking, Jerloma, yes. I'm still white.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Took the family out to see Wonka in the theater last week. It was my wife's idea. I'd barely even registered that it was a movie that exists. But, it was surprisingly good! I love the original, hated the bits I saw of the Depp remake, and didn't even know what this one was about (turns out, it's a Wonka origin story), but it's light-hearted and fun.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:48 pm A couple buddies and I have Monday off for MLK Day.

We're going to the movies to watch American Fiction.

If you're checking, Jerloma, yes. I'm still white.
The movie was great. Several laugh out loud moments and very entertaining. And come to find out that Cord Jefferson, the writer and director, is from Tucson.

There's a line in the movie where the main character's (Jeffrey Wright) brother (Sterling K. Brown) were comparing their living situations and the brother is like "And I'm still living in fucking Tucson, AZ! There's one gay bar there and it's full of fucking college kids!"

The audience laughed hard at that. (And I've actually been to that gay bar.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:50 pm The Holdovers was really good. Giamatti was his usual self, but with more depth than some of his previous characters. Based on watching very few other movies this year, I'm thinking he's gonna grab an Oscar. Lock for a nomination, for sure.
And will take Oscar to In-N-Out after, no doubt.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just watched Saltburn. That was….something.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:58 pm Just watched Saltburn. That was….something.
Talk about pick your poison with regard to the most difficult bits to watch.

I loved the Jarvis Cocker music reference from Rosamund Pike
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah... yeesh with a couple of these scenes.
[+] spoiler
Not to take the movie too seriously, but I don't really understand the logistics of the ending. I didn't think British aristocracy could just, like... sign away their entire family estate? Again, not trying to dig too far into a rather silly movie (which I mostly enjoyed), but that ending seemed... implausible.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:30 am Yeah... yeesh with a couple of these scenes.
[+] spoiler
Not to take the movie too seriously, but I don't really understand the logistics of the ending. I didn't think British aristocracy could just, like... sign away their entire family estate? Again, not trying to dig too far into a rather silly movie (which I mostly enjoyed), but that ending seemed... implausible.
[+] spoiler
Oliver might have been doing Felix’s mom after he moved back which would make it a little more plausible I suppose but yeah. Just a weird movie, but in a good way.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:06 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:30 am Yeah... yeesh with a couple of these scenes.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Oliver might have been doing Felix’s mom after he moved back which would make it a little more plausible I suppose but yeah. Just a weird movie, but in a good way.
[+] spoiler
Oliver was defo banging Rosamund Pike (who wouldn't?) and there was also a will signing scene
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

[+] spoiler
Right, definitely clocked the will signing. I guess my point/question is... Is that really all it takes? I guess if there are zero family members left? Just seems like someone in the family tree would be all, like.. "nah."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oscar nominations are out and people are BIG MAD that Ryan Gosling is nominated but Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie are not.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:22 pm Oscar nominations are out and people are BIG MAD that Ryan Gosling is nominated but Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie are not.
(Those folks aren't... I dunno, "wrong," but they are also leaving out that America Ferrera got a Supporting bid. I also find it weird that ppl are, like, mad at Gosling. Be made at the voters. I see people saying he got a nomination is ridiculous. No, it's not.)

Swamp also called the Giamatti nomination (not all that difficult)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:52 pm
Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:22 pm Oscar nominations are out and people are BIG MAD that Ryan Gosling is nominated but Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie are not.
(Those folks aren't... I dunno, "wrong," but they are also leaving out that America Ferrera got a Supporting bid. I also find it weird that ppl are, like, mad at Gosling. Be made at the voters. I see people saying he got a nomination is ridiculous. No, it's not.)

Swamp also called the Giamatti nomination (not all that difficult)
It is kind of funny that Gosling got a nomination and Gerwig and Robbie didn’t. Undercuts the entire premise of the movie, but Gosling was fantastic and deserves it. You might say he was Kenough to win. But seriously, he was great.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Gerwig made a fucking Barbie movie fun, and smart, and funny. She deserves a lifetime award for that.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:33 pm Gerwig made a fucking Barbie movie fun, and smart, and funny. She deserves a lifetime award for that.
I agree. She walked an incredibly tight line between an enormous hit and making what could have been the worst movie ever made. She fucking went for it and pulled it off. Unbelievable.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

In other news, how did I not know Joe Namath started in this classic:

-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:38 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:33 pm Gerwig made a fucking Barbie movie fun, and smart, and funny. She deserves a lifetime award for that.
I agree. She walked an incredibly tight line between an enormous hit and making what could have been the worst movie ever made. She fucking went for it and pulled it off. Unbelievable.
Yep. My wife pulled it up on our last flight out west and she was just going to watch a few minutes and just couldn't stop watching. I kept looking over and giggling at whatever scene was showing... Such a fun movie.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Had the long flight home last night from Boston, so downloaded and watched "Killers of the Flower Moon".

Thought it was pretty good...but man, that is one long ass movie. Glad I didn't try to see it in the theater. A few thoughts:
[+] spoiler
-DeCaprio's character is remarkably dumb. And how did give him those prosthetic teeth so he made that same frowny face the whole time?

-Lily Gladstone was great.

-DeNiro's character was a new tier of evil.

-Seeing both Jason Isbell and Sturgill Simpson was fun. Hopefully they got some time playing some music together.

-The ending, with the radio play, was a clever way to put the standard postlogue into the movie. But have Scorscese doing the final bit about what happened to Mollie was "the rat at the end of The Departed" level of obviousness.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I just saw an article on The Hudsucker Proxy on gq.com, and I'm reminded that someone -- Magary maybe? -- mentioned recently to watch the entire Coen brothers oeuvre in order. And man, that sounds like an amazing use of my time. I think collectively I've seen around half of their movies at one time or another. I think I'll start the first weekend in March; my better half has to go to Mumbai for work, so I'll have free use of the screens. Next time I go to my parents I'll have to go through and see which ones I have on DVD.

Come to think of it, maybe if anyone else is interested, we can start a separate thread as a movie club discussion. Any takers?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Wasn't "Blood Simple" their first?

Haven't seen that in years - remember it as being really good.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:22 am I just saw an article on The Hudsucker Proxy on gq.com, and I'm reminded that someone -- Magary maybe? -- mentioned recently to watch the entire Coen brothers oeuvre in order. And man, that sounds like an amazing use of my time. I think collectively I've seen around half of their movies at one time or another. I think I'll start the first weekend in March; my better half has to go to Mumbai for work, so I'll have free use of the screens. Next time I go to my parents I'll have to go through and see which ones I have on DVD.

Come to think of it, maybe if anyone else is interested, we can start a separate thread as a movie club discussion. Any takers?
I'm down. I miss the Thursday night viewings.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don’t know if I could join you regularly but I love the Coen brothers. I think I have four or five of their movies on dvd. And nowadays with streaming you can get just about any film if you’ll pay a couple bucks.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I really like the idea of something like: Watch X movie by a certain day and then get into a discussion. I have a tough time with viewing stuff in the evening at a given time, but give me a week and I can definitely get there.