MLB.TV 2016

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

MLB.TV 2016

Post by Brontoburglar »

Anyone want to join the party again this year? Price has been adjusted and I need to see if the blackout tweaking affects the main MLB.tv package. Below is the full text of the class action email I got today.

Let me know if you're interested. I'm purchasing it again and we can do what we've done in the past.
A proposed settlement (the "Settlement") has been reached in a class action lawsuit brought on behalf of consumers who purchased MLB.TV or purchased MLB Extra Innings from Comcast or DIRECTV between May 9, 2008, and January 18, 2016. The proposed settlement is between the individuals who brought that lawsuit and the defendants. The defendants are the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball ("MLB"), Major League Baseball Properties Inc., as successor by merger to Major League Baseball Enterprises Inc., MLB Advanced Media L.P., MLB Advanced Media, Inc., Athletics Investment Group, LLC, the Baseball Club of Seattle, L.L.L.P., Chicago Cubs Baseball Club, LLC, Chicago White Sox, Ltd., Colorado Rockies Baseball Club, Ltd., The Phillies, Pittsburgh Baseball, Inc., San Francisco Baseball Associates, LLC, New York Yankees Partnership, Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network, LLC, Comcast Corporation, Comcast SportsNet California, LLC, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, LLC, Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, L.P., DIRECTV, LLC, DIRECTV Sports Networks, LLC, DIRECTV Sports Net Pittsburgh, LLC (d/b/a Root Sports Pittsburgh), DIRECTV Sports Net Rocky Mountain, LLC (d/b/a Root Sports Rocky Mountain), and DIRECTV Sports Net Northwest, LLC (d/b/a Root Sports Northwest). The lawsuit alleges that MLB's rules establishing local broadcast territories violated federal antitrust laws. The defendants deny any wrongdoing or liability. If you purchased MLB Extra Innings from Comcast or DIRECTV or purchased MLB.TV between May 9, 2008 and January 18, 2016, your legal rights are affected whether you act or do not act. Please read this notice carefully.

• The lawsuit alleges that the territorial allocation of broadcast rights within MLB assigned to each of its member clubs and thereafter sold to regional sports networks violated federal antitrust laws, provides out-of-market consumers with fewer choices, and inflates prices charged to view broadcasts of live professional baseball games. Defendants dispute Plaintiffs' factual and legal claims and deny any wrongdoing and liability, as well as any adverse effect on consumer choices and that prices charged have been inflated. The parties have concluded that it is in their best interests to settle the litigation to avoid the expense, inconvenience, and uncertainty of litigation.

• In May 2015, the Court granted in part and denied in part Plaintiffs' motion for class certification. The Court held that the individuals who filed this suit could represent a class for the purposes of seeking injunctive relief, but not damages.

• Under the Settlement and subject to MLB's continued delineation of its clubs' local broadcast territorial rights and associated blackout practices, MLB has agreed to reduce prices through the 2020 season and provide several new products. Comcast and DIRECTV have also agreed to reduce prices for the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

• Price Relief

• MLB will lower the price of MLB.TV to $109.99 for 2016 (from the 2015 price of $129.99). MLB will be prohibited from increasing the price by more than 3% (or the federal Cost of Living Adjustment ("COLA"), if higher) per year through 2020.

• For the 2016 and 2017 MLB seasons, Comcast and DIRECTV will provide the full season MLB Extra Innings product at a 12.5% discount from the 2015 price.

• Increased Availability

• Single-Team Packages: MLB will offer packages of single teams' out-of-market games through MLB.TV (for example, a stream of just the Kansas City Royals' games for out-of-market subscribers). This product will cost $84.99 for a full season in 2016, with MLB allowed to raise the price by no more than 3% (or COLA, if higher) for each of the next four years. MLB has also agreed to make this option available to Comcast and DIRECTV so that they may offer seasonal packages of single team games for each and every MLB Club available through MLB Extra Innings, although Comcast and DIRECTV are not obligated to offer such packages.

• Follow Your Team: MLB will allow all MLB.TV purchasers who subscribe to Comcast, DIRECTV, or certain other cable, satellite or other providers to purchase a "Follow Your Team" option that will allow them to receive telecasts of their favorite out-of-market team's broadcaster without any blackouts—even when it is playing an in-market team, so long as the purchaser receives the in-market team's programming through his or her television service. This product will cost no more than $10 more than a standard MLB.TV package, which will raise the overall price of the MLB.TV package to $119.99 for a full season in 2016 for consumers selecting this enhancement.

• In-Market Streaming: MLB will seek to reach agreements with Comcast, Root Sports, and Fox regional sports networks to offer live in-market streaming of their telecasts. If in-market streaming is not available for all of the teams whose games are broadcast by those networks by 2017, MLB will be prohibited from increasing prices for any of the above MLB.TV products through 2020.

• Unserved Fans: MLB will offer live streaming of any in-market team's telecasts produced by Comcast, Root Sports, or Fox regional sports networks to any customer who is unable to obtain multi-channel video provider distributor service or virtual multi-channel video provider distributor service at his or her residence.

• The Court in charge of this case still needs to decide whether or not to approve the Settlement. If the Court approves the Settlement, and after any appeals are resolved, the benefits will be provided automatically to class members
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Re: MLB.TV 2016

Post by Sabo »

In.

ETA: I'll ask my friend who's done this the last couple of years if he still wants to do it. He's currently in India for work but I should be able to get an answer from him in the next day or two.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Count me in.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

In.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I can probably get one of my buddies in if needed. Let me know...
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

My friend said he's in, so that gives us five by my count:

Bronto
Sabo
Sabo's friend
Giff
Keg
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote:My friend said he's in, so that gives us five by my count:

Bronto
Sabo
Sabo's friend
Giff
Keg
If we get one more we're at less than $20 a person, so I'm good with that.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Sabo wrote:My friend said he's in, so that gives us five by my count:

Bronto
Sabo
Sabo's friend
Giff
Keg
If we get one more we're at less than $20 a person, so I'm good with that.
I'm checking.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Yo Bronto, have you renewed for 2016 yet? If so, what are the credentials?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think I need to pay.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

We're at $24 a person, so PayPal/check works.

I'll also update the password to reflect the calendar.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Did I need to pay for one or two?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

how so? Are you paying for someone else too?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry, I guess I never confirmed that I would take the other one to get us to 5. My sister out in Cali would love to watch the Astros. No bigs.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Giff wrote:Sorry, I guess I never confirmed that I would take the other one to get us to 5. My sister out in Cali would love to watch the Astros. No bigs.
Oh shit, she still can. I would just have to refund some people a little cash. I'm sorry.

(Does she have t-mobile? It's free with them)
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

the 60fps video is fucking nuts!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Is it too late to dig in on this? I didn't know if they'd shut it down for sharing logins or not but if it's somewhat reliable I'll kick in so I can get the Sox and Twins.

Can you chromecast this from an ipad?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

BSF21 wrote:I didn't know if they'd shut it down for sharing logins or not…
I can't believe they still have this gap in their network. But my whole family and several friends are digging it.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

howard wrote:
BSF21 wrote:I didn't know if they'd shut it down for sharing logins or not…
I can't believe they still have this gap in their network. But my whole family and several friends are digging it.
I assume this is the HBOGo/Netflix model. They know it happens, they're happy with their margins, and it's more trouble than it's worth to go after it and deal with the CS headache.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I wish Sirius satellite radio would have that attitude. I routinely get kicked off despite turning off one device before logging in on another.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

howard wrote:I wish Sirius satellite radio would have that attitude. I routinely get kicked off despite turning off one device before logging in on another.
They'll never get another dime from me. Tried to cancel that service in a truck we got rid of and they wouldn't let us. Had the radio ID, the VIN, everything. They said we needed "a PIN number" to access the account that we never set up, and thus wouldn't let us cancel the service. So we canceled the credit card it was attached to.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A lot of things about that company suck, like their customer service. But I enjoy Tom Petty's and Steven Van Zant's channel too much, so I continue. Quit Howard Stern a couple of years ago, primarily because of Sirius shenanigans.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

BSF21 wrote:Is it too late to dig in on this? I didn't know if they'd shut it down for sharing logins or not but if it's somewhat reliable I'll kick in so I can get the Sox and Twins.

Bump.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Is it too late to dig in on this? I didn't know if they'd shut it down for sharing logins or not but if it's somewhat reliable I'll kick in so I can get the Sox and Twins.

Bump.
I think it's limited to 5 devices.