POLL: Do we need the DB? (Please Vote)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Do we need/want the old database threads on this board?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 28

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

POLL: Do we need the DB? (Please Vote)

Post by A_B »

Serious question...if this is working in its current state, is there any need to try to add all the old stuff back in and re-populate the whole shooting match?

Or are we better off just starting new and making this place hella awesome from scrizzle?
Last edited by admin on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Turning this into a poll question since I need to know what you guys want - Scottie
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Re: Do we need the DB?

Post by bryan »

AB_skin_test wrote:Serious question...if this is working in its current state, is there any need to try to add all the old stuff back in and re-populate the whole shooting match?

Or are we better off just starting new and making this place hella awesome from scrizzle?
Probably depends on the amount of work involved. It surely would be nice to have the archives here, especially since it is searchable now, but I wouldn't want Scottie or anyone else to spend umpteen thousand hours on it.
wrecks
Jackie Treehorn

Post by wrecks »

Will people have to re-register anyway? I think it's preferable for people who don't visit here every day (or every week) to be able to post here again without the hassle of starting over.
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

wrecks wrote:Will people have to re-register anyway? I think it's preferable for people who don't visit here every day (or every week) to be able to post here again without the hassle of starting over.
Scottie can say for sure, but I suspect his admonishment to not use your "normal" handle was in anticipation of being able to restore those accounts and the associated activity.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

bryan wrote: . . . but I suspect his admonishment to not use your "normal" handle was in anticipation of being able to restore those accounts and the associated activity.
You are correct, sir.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

wrecks wrote:Will people have to re-register anyway?
Depends (again) on how much vb5 screwed with the older database(s). If it/they can be restored properly, nobody should have to re-register. Significant *if*, mind you.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Re: POLL: Do we need the DB?

Post by Shrew »

I say let's just start fresh. Screw anything that might cause hiccups going down the road,
Test Ride the Sybian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Test Ride the Sybian »

ShrewToo wrote:I say let's just start fresh. Screw anything that might cause hiccups going down the road,
I think some people who wrote regular articles on the old front page might like to see their work back. It might be fun to occasionally cruise through an old thread like the 2008 Presidential election thread, or read Karina as it happened, or the day JFK got shot or something, but I personally wouldn't be heartbroken starting fresh. Then again, seeing some old classics might be fun. If some threads from Unknown's era survived the Great Swamp Fire of Ought Six or whenever, that would be nice, but I don't think much of Unknown's post are retrievable. But, I have no idea what any of that entails, so I leave that up to Scottie.
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

um, if we (and by we, i mean scottie) attempts to connect this board software to the various databases that hold the swamp archives, and memories, and it breaks,

then, we can just start anew, fresh, from scratch.

the cost of attempting to build the databases into this framework is, basically, zero (above and beyond scottie's efforts). a failure does not make starting from scratch any more difficult.

there is nothing to lose by trying to build a complete swamp. except the scottie's time and effort. which he is willing to expend. even giddy. he seems to like this shit.

nothing to lose, nothing to be afraid of. man in his quest for knowledge and progress is determined, and shall not be deterred.

(but why does rice play texas?)
"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
wrecks
Jackie Treehorn

Post by wrecks »

So we're not talking total protonic reversal here?
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

no one is suggesting crossing the mf streams, venkman
"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
admin
Maude Lebowski

Re: POLL: Do we need the DB? (Please Vote)

Post by admin »

I could use as much feedback as possible on this. It's the biggest (and most complex) of the jobs to be done. Kindly chime in with anything that comes to mind on the matter. Thank you.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard test2 wrote:um, if we (and by we, i mean scottie) attempts to connect this board software to the various databases that hold the swamp archives, and memories, and it breaks,

then, we can just start anew, fresh, from scratch.

the cost of attempting to build the databases into this framework is, basically, zero (above and beyond scottie's efforts). a failure does not make starting from scratch any more difficult.

there is nothing to lose by trying to build a complete swamp. except the scottie's time and effort. which he is willing to expend. even giddy. he seems to like this shit.

nothing to lose, nothing to be afraid of. man in his quest for knowledge and progress is determined, and shall not be deterred.

(but why does rice play texas?)
This. It's not the end of the world without the database, but we have built up ten years of history here, and I would really like to be able to access it, if it can be done without extreme effort.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

It would be really nice to go back. But I could live without that, as I would still have the memories.

But Jorts & cabbage soup, Pacer brawl in the stands, and Jerloma falling off the bridge would be nice to revisit.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Yes, keep the database if at all possible. What are we without our words? I'll tell you what we are. We're just a bunch of, like, wordless things.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Any reason why we couldn't have the old DB as a read-only archive as a separate forum? That way, we could start new threads with links to the old threads and then start new conversations in the new forum.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Travzilla Beta
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Travzilla Beta »

Preferable but not a deal breaker
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Travzilla Beta wrote:Preferable but not a deal breaker
It's a bit more important to me than that. I've started a bunch of threads, and I don't want to recreate them. You can't reproduce magic! And one thread about Connor McDavid or KPop in the Swamp's lifetime is probably more than enough.

(The last time our database was wiped out, I thought about making a clean break with this place. Unfortunately for you, Trav, I reregistered.)

A searchable, linkable database as Sabo mentioned would be better than nothing, tho.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Semplica Girls wrote:
Travzilla Beta wrote:Preferable but not a deal breaker
It's a bit more important to me than that. I've started a bunch of threads, and I don't want to recreate them. You can't reproduce magic! And one thread about Connor McDavid or KPop in the Swamp's lifetime is probably more than enough.

(The last time our database was wiped out, I thought about making a clean break with this place. Unfortunately for you, Trav, I reregistered.)

A searchable, linkable database as Sabo mentioned would be better than nothing, tho.
It'd be nice to have them somewhere, even if we could only link to them.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The DSG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by The DSG »

I would also like the previous versions of the Swamp available. If not part of one giant Swamp, at least searchable and linkable.

This place is about the people and the previous Swamps are us.
"ONIONS!"
Test Ride the Sybian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Test Ride the Sybian »

The DSG wrote:I would also like the previous versions of the Swamp available. If not part of one giant Swamp, at least searchable and linkable.

Really? I always thought this place was about the onions!
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

Personally, I couldn't care less about the archives.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

I think the history is very important, though I have no clue how much time and effort it would take to get it operational again. It would be awesome, but it might not be fair to put it on Klozmodius. He has already done so much, and I hate to saddle him with additional demands. I trust the judgement of Klozmodius on this one.
Popin' ain't easy
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Without the old swamp or nu old swamp or whatever, we may have some problems getting the Fantasy Football League back up and running in proper divisions.
The Burglar
Jackie Treehorn

Post by The Burglar »

restore the virgin jokes!
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

Don't bury bronto's cherry!
Inanimate Carbon Rod
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Inanimate Carbon Rod »

If it's doable then why not?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Inanimate Carbon Rod wrote:If it's doable then why not?
One more cryptic vote to read about Bronto's virginity I guess.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

UPDATE: Late last night I tested out the most recent database, the one that was in use with the "upgraded" vBulletin version 5 software, on a dummy phpBB3 board just to see if I could integrate the DB with the forum software. It was decidedly not pretty. vBulletin reformatted the database to suit itself. Looked at it in its present state, it is completely unreadable (on the very few occasions it will load anything but a blank page).

If you want to know what it looks like, find a system file on your computer (a .DAT or .BAK for example), open it in NotePad or any simple text editor. You get this sort of gibberish:
½”dÓíÍ?”¤2µŒgj¶tûíÉ‚Þ—8‘…‡ Â^|HÓnæ¨Â‚Ú¡öD™\m^¶Xˆ#ç` í:#TÈÉÊñ1E8åE¸œÜ¸¦Ù$©WÇPî¼nƒ]~o„[w? í´Ú`´çŸÔbcdùÁÅ üƒ€! 庑B¨D`2€&€P@ðDyëWÀseØ.ðÝ’ñéÿ¡Í¿ÿ…‡ éÙ́šäê$阡ÚóÿQnï§jó¶GövˆÁÓå׳÷(¼a†¦…‡ hÂÕæ „^,ÑøÉ’Xéôÿ[©¿ór=bŸÙÝìuàWºSiû>?yï`…‡ ê½Q™7«¾f.UÒž>VˆcB,6ozºdè%"ÝýY*éTˆÂ~…‡ T ‡×s€±¢Ûh`¿Hyjë$‡AY1Ú˜€*ÿe«PR[ï«Å® ôˆy©ª×]9ÍA_—ùõ9€òòÜv¹‚ÎÐ×»€FëÄÙÈe.Eª’Y…‡ ûÁp! 妫¡!T"0²Å(¢Aà; LÇ>y*@*’‚W‘ÛÌìOMö/ð™u69÷µÁØ8-?ø}s1+…‡ ü®Þ§«Xøãóv.! Ü]Õðz;µUå&7=V›`†Ò Î⡆[i¨ÒºM˜=Fì-@¶†©Z î›NeF1ÐÙÊäó)Ô;ÃÈÞê0 È®D]zúÄkÈT6z1oƒkjÜ^BLÊIÚ%ÃÑ‹aä°”—= *[;‹–Qµg“qƒ<òƲp=J¬³lÀöe·ÙN¯²*BTJïõ…‡ x²±-‹)åɉzÖ ^al–½Ò
Try to imagine tens of thousands of lines of that.

I'm trying to figure out how to roll back the database, if possible, to a pre-vb5 state. I'm not convinced even that will necessarily work as I've seen differing testimonies regarding a movement from vBulletin to phpBB. It is not by any means the same as upgrading from, say, phpBB2 to phpBB3.

So, yeah, it's getting frustrating but I'm still on it. A backed-up copy of the database, pre-vB5 upgrade, would solve it maybe. But unless there is a back-up somewhere in the ASmallOrange system, I don't believe we have one.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

The DSG wrote:I would also like the previous versions of the Swamp available. If not part of one giant Swamp, at least searchable and linkable.

I like this idea too, if it's possible and easier to do.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Scottie, are you saying we converted our database to a new format and didn't make a backup first?

Really?
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

They made a copy, he told me to delete it after the upgrade, only need to find it on the server.

Scottie, let me know if you have no luck and I'll try and contact the tech that did the upgrade and find where he stashed it.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I say we copy/paste all the old posts into new posts manually, then backdate them through the admin panel.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

admin wrote:
bryan wrote: . . . but I suspect his admonishment to not use your "normal" handle was in anticipation of being able to restore those accounts and the associated activity.
You are correct, sir.
oh shit! did not get the memo about not using your normal name! can i delete this account or something?
rass
The Dude

Swamp history thread? Swamp history thread

Post by rass »

He's never mentioned it, but this sort of makes me hope bronto watches Riverdale.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hey Rass, when I saw you bumped this thread I thought you were bragging about the time everyone voted to let you stay!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I found some great stuff while looking for that comic!

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I want that but without the words?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I can send you all 13 frames?

Happier Swamp times: