Guns: Infinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Guns: Infinity

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

9 dead and more injured at an outlet mall in Allen, TX.

Extremely graphic video and images circulating on Twitter.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:21 pm 9 dead and more injured at an outlet mall in Allen, TX.

Extremely graphic video and images circulating on Twitter.
Altho somehow not trending on Twitter overnight and TX officials sat on the death toll until 10 pm.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

We’re so fucked.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

You mean the Governor Abbott's "MOOR GUNZ" plan isn't working out?

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The social media accounts for the mall shooter...

Dude was an incel Neo-Nazi/White Supremacist. Good thing he was able to stock up on a boat load of guns!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A Russian social media site, taboot.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, here's one cop who's not a bastard.

First hand video of the Allen, TX mass shooting.

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So there's this today:

and tonight, I'm in Spokane moving my kid into the dorm , and we go get dinner and there's a fuckstick sitting in the place with a tee shirt that says "No one needs an AR-15? No one needs a whiny little bitch either, and yet here you are".

I turned to my daughter and her friend and said "what an asshole".
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Active shooter at UNC, about a mile from my son's apartment. He was just heading out to class when he learned about it. He says he heard shots later, after they had supposedly caught the gunman. Then, it turned out the guy they got wasn't the right one. The shooter is still at large, 2.5 hours later.

We were planning on driving over to have dinner with him tonight, but the campus is still on lockdown.

The thoughts and prayers carousel spins on.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shit like this is so weird. Why do people do this?
image.png
image.png (33.66 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:52 pm Active shooter at UNC, about a mile from my son's apartment. He was just heading out to class when he learned about it. He says he heard shots later, after they had supposedly caught the gunman. Then, it turned out the guy they got wasn't the right one. The shooter is still at large, 2.5 hours later.

We were planning on driving over to have dinner with him tonight, but the campus is still on lockdown.

The thoughts and prayers carousel spins on.
Looks like they got him now!
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

So many thread options here

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Welp one of my dwindling beach days will now be consumed with trying to come up with perfect response to this. Thanks!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Metal detectors can't see through fat and also she knew this?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Is that like “German Shepherds can’t smell drugs through coffee”?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:17 pm Metal detectors can't see through fat and also she knew this?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:56 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:17 pm Metal detectors can't see through fat and also she knew this?
God how many people are going to quit when they hear the new safety standards in place where one has to check fat folds?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Or maybe the metal detectors are faulty?
Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:11 pm Or maybe the metal detectors are faulty?
The story said the detectors went off three times, so not faulty. They couldn’t find the metal so they wanded her, and the guard wanding her let her go rather than check the fat folds.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:06 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:11 pm Or maybe the metal detectors are faulty?
The story said the detectors went off three times, so not faulty. They couldn’t find the metal so they wanded her, and the guard wanding her let her go rather than check the fat folds.
Ma’am, I’m going to have to ask you to lift you gunt.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Christ, that's so aggressively American.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Feels a bit over dramatic. Some guy started shooting up people on Franklin Street while I was a student. Seemed like we kept playing video games
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:58 pm Feels a bit over dramatic. Some guy started shooting up people on Franklin Street while I was a student. Seemed like we kept playing video games
LOL fuck off dude :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's one of the most appropriate newspaper covers I've seen.

Overly dramatic, my ass.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Her tears? There was not that type of angst in 1995. Probably because it's the lockdown and shooter messages that impact people more than the shooting. We definitely didn't even know until it was over.

https://www.dailytarheel.com/section/20 ... son-street
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:33 pm Her tears? There was not that type of angst in 1995. Probably because it's the lockdown and shooter messages that impact people more than the shooting. We definitely didn't even know until it was over.

So you’re saying you kept playing video games because you had no idea what was happening? How is that even possibly a comparable situation? Are you saying people are too aware of active shooters on school grounds? The gunfire (potentially down the hall) impacts people differently?

Columbine occurred in 1999. Not sure you’re saying much if in 1995 people weren’t as fed up with mass shootings as they have been since.

But, when you say, “overly dramatic,” nothing in your past experience (that you’ve indicated here) suggests you have the right to judge this.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Hear you but it's media so fair to judge id say, college or not. And I can definitely compare to my very similar experience. Maybe the negative impacts of active shooter messaging should be considered more seriously.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:34 pm Hear you but it's media so fair to judge id say, college or not. And I can definitely compare to my very similar experience. Maybe the negative impacts of active shooter messaging should be considered more seriously.
Because it’d be more effective to keep the targeted people in the dark?

Who would that benefit? The command center because an ignorant group of people will take to commands more effectively? The shooter, so they’re not barricading doors and as out of vision as possible? Or you, so you don’t have to read impactful, communications between loved ones during an active shooter situation?

As for your own experience? Not to minimize an active shooter situation you were apparently adjacent to, but how many of your friends in 1995 even had cellular phones? As a college student you likely had an email address, and you even had access to the internet, but let’s not pretend for a second you and your friends were as plugged in as we are today. You were playing Road Rash cuz that’s what you did between classes.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:33 pm Her tears? There was not that type of angst in 1995. Probably because it's the lockdown and shooter messages that impact people more than the shooting. We definitely didn't even know until it was over.

Yeah, no angst at all back in the day.

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Id say more like provide more information or possibly intentionally keep some in the dark who arent within a certain proximity. Same as there was basically no way to warn in 1995 perhaps weve not moved past the campus wide automatic messaging. Dont know what went out but given that a campus will have to deal with shooting situations every few decades (with increasing frequency id think) maybe use GPS to send alerts to those within a few hundred meters? Allow people to communicate information within each other within a certain distance and report danger to others within a certain distance? Maybe thats done already.

I definitely dont recall any fear or tears. Granted I was probably 1/2 mile away but seems like a lacrosse kid got killed. Thats pretty close to home but still not enough to really give two fucks. Im sure there were plenty who knew him or played with him but for the other 30,000 on the campus it wasnt some angst ridden event and certainly not crying on the street. Shocking then (less so now) and possibly life changing if you were on the street (or building in this case) but for everyone else more like watching something on the news but you knew where it was.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:57 am Id say more like provide more information or possibly intentionally keep some in the dark who arent within a certain proximity. Same as there was basically no way to warn in 1995 perhaps weve not moved past the campus wide automatic messaging. Dont know what went out but given that a campus will have to deal with shooting situations every few decades (with increasing frequency id think) maybe use GPS to send alerts to those within a few hundred meters? Allow people to communicate information within each other within a certain distance and report danger to others within a certain distance? Maybe thats done already.
You'd need to block cellular access and restrict internet access in the classrooms, dorms, cafeterias, common areas for that to be even remotely possible. There are definitely messaging systems in place for several types of disaster scenarios.

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:57 am I definitely dont recall any fear or tears. Granted I was probably 1/2 mile away but seems like a lacrosse kid got killed. Thats pretty close to home but still not enough to really give two fucks. Im sure there were plenty who knew him or played with him but for the other 30,000 on the campus it wasnt some angst ridden event and certainly not crying on the street. Shocking then (less so now) and possibly life changing if you were on the street (or building in this case) but for everyone else more like watching something on the news but you knew where it was.
Nobody can make you give two fucks, and like many people, you simply will not until its your child being torn apart by an AR-15 because some nut doesn't like Mondays. As for it not being some "angst ridden event?" I already touched on this last night.

In 1995 it was peculiar. Shit, your video game-playing self probably thought it was cool, because it was sorta near where you were, and yeah well, Road Rash, bong and pizza and it's all good.

It's 2023, and the college kids of today are fucking tired of it. They've been doing the shelter in place drills since they were in preschool. Not sure it's really any of our place to tell them how to feel about it.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Blocking cell phone access is among the worst things I think you could do.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:54 am Blocking cell phone access is among the worst things I think you could do.
Absolutely.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My wife was a law student at UNC when that happened (the shooter was a 3L). It absolutely was a big deal and dominated local (at least) news for a while.

Besides the instant communications differences between now and then, as we all know these mass shootings are way more common now and we know that at least some of these shooters are going for high scores. On Monday, nobody really knew the scope of the situation other than there was a shooter on campus, some people had been shot (turned out to be only one), and the shooter was still at large. It took ~3 hours to catch the guy, so he could have been anywhere and it's reasonable to assume that he'd start shooting again somewhere else.

My son is a student there but was in his apartment about a mile away from the initial shots. I can tell you that it was a big deal for me, texting him, checking the news, Twitter, Reddit, etc. for updates until they caught the dude. I'm not an overly fearful person, but it wasn't possible to go back to work emails while I knew this was going on. I think kids, parents, friends, etc. were perfectly justified to be scared, especially if they happened to be closer to the epicenter.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley, I can only imagine how terrifying that must have been.

Yesterday I had my first experience when I thought for a second some sort of shooting was taking place. I was taking a walk to the big mall across the street from our office to grab some food when I saw a bunch of people running from the area of a jewelry store. I even saw an employee running away while hearing someone wail like they were pissed off. The way people were running I figured that guy had a gun. I jogged back a little bit and then ended up having a better look at the store. Could still hear the screaming, but I could see the guy screaming and he was rubbing his eyes. Sounds like someone pepper sprayed him while looking at jewelry and took off with it. Obviously glad it was nothing relatively serious, but really the first time I remember being worried about something like that when out in public.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »