Three Very Important Travel Safety Questions

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Three Very Important Travel Safety Questions

Post by Jerloma »

1. Let's say that you were staying at the house with this backyard in Winter Park, FL in a couple of weeks, and there's no pool, and it's been deemed safe to swim in. Would you swim in that lake or allow your spawn to?

2. What's the deal with bringing pot cookies on a plane? Is that safe?

3. What's the lesser of these two risks?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Three Very Important Travel Safety Questions

Post by tennbengal »

On first one , no.

Two year old child dragged by alligator into lagoon at Disney's grand Floridian tonight. So, just no on Florida lake swimming. Even during day.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Are they homemade or professional pot cookies?

As long as they don't reek of ganj, sealed in something air tight, and are in your checked bags you should be kosher.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Three things. No. Don't swim there. No lake swimming in Fl.

Wrap your pot cookies like a present that you're delivering from Nana to your nephew Tom. Pack it in your checked luggage.

Eat at the Ravenous Pig while you're there. Cask and Larder is great too. Four Rivers for BBQ.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

No lake. Yes herb.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Thanks, Swamp. These are exactly the answers I was hoping for.
Kind of a hybrid between those two things. Why does that matter?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Jerloma wrote:Thanks, Swamp. These are exactly the answers I was hoping for.
Kind of a hybrid between those two things. Why does that matter?
Professional tend to smell more strongly of pot, at least those here in CO do. Also, I'd trust that you'd remove any incriminating packaging.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

1. No: You don't want your kids to die in a lake.

2. No: Unless you're flying solo and meeting them there or something, that's a really dumbshit risk to take.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Back to this Disney incident, there's a big ass beach there, but you can't swim? Sounds like tempting fate.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's not marked "no swimming" as far as I know, but most Floridians know that swimming in lakes isn't the best of ideas. Can't imagine what this must have been like for the family.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

govmentchedda wrote:It's not marked "no swimming" as far as I know, but most Floridians know that swimming in lakes isn't the best of ideas. Can't imagine what this must have been like for the family.
There were signs warning people not to swim in the lagoon, he added, although the signs didn't specify why swimming was prohibited.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/chi ... rt-n592641
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

govmentchedda wrote:It's not marked "no swimming" as far as I know
Pretty sure there are signs everywhere. At least there were on the Bay Lake side where we were.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Although let me add that my kids may very well have walked 6 inches into the water and I wouldn't have thought/didn't think twice.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ryan wrote:Although let me add that my kids may very well have walked 6 inches into the water and I wouldn't have thought/didn't think twice.
Me too.

You hear stories about small dogs getting eaten/attacked near the shore line/in the water. They seem to know the size of what they're going after, and the likely speed and awareness of their prey. Alligators gonna alligate.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I just spent the last 30 seconds wondering how long it will be until Disney puts underwater barriers off the shores, then remembering that alligators can walk on land too. That should be illegal.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I never even considered for a second that Disney was building reports on lakes infested with alligators and they just build beaches on these lakes. The only surprising thing here is that it hasn't happened sooner.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

1.) Let the Evil One swim, but not the Ginger.

2.) Not worth the risk, IMO. I think you'd be better off having it in your carryon. Checked luggage goes through screening, and probably has dogs sniffing the luggage. On an X-ray, I assume they come out looking like regular cookies, and the TSA people looking at the carryon stuff won't stop it. You run the risk or a random drug dog walking through the airport picking up on it, but most of the wandering security dogs aren't drug sniffers. At least not on drug sniffing duty, they could be trained to detect drugs, though. Pretty much nothing prevents dogs from smelling weed. Air tight, exploded aeresol scent can, in a pool of hot sauce and they smell through it all.

As bad a rap as airport screeners get, I've seen to much to fuck with them. Granted TSA is a fucking joke, but they have some sick equipment and virtually unlimited authority to search.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Jerloma wrote:I never even considered for a second that Disney was building reports on lakes infested with alligators and they just build beaches on these lakes. The only surprising thing here is that it hasn't happened sooner.
Infested is probably a strong word considering the hundreds of millions of people who have never come into contact with one.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ryan wrote:
Pretty sure there are signs everywhere. At least there were on the Bay Lake side where we were.
The story I read highlighted that and then mentioned that the life guard was the one who called 911. If there is no swimming why the life guard?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Ryan wrote:
The story I read highlighted that and then mentioned that the life guard was the one who called 911. If there is no swimming why the life guard?
In case the signs are spelled wrong?

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:Not worth the risk, IMO. I think you'd be better off having it in your carryon. Checked luggage goes through screening, and probably has dogs sniffing the luggage. On an X-ray, I assume they come out looking like regular cookies, and the TSA people looking at the carryon stuff won't stop it. You run the risk or a random drug dog walking through the airport picking up on it, but most of the wandering security dogs aren't drug sniffers. At least not on drug sniffing duty, they could be trained to detect drugs, though. Pretty much nothing prevents dogs from smelling weed. Air tight, exploded aeresol scent can, in a pool of hot sauce and they smell through it all.
Its dumb enough that I wonder if J-Lo is just baiting us to make Wednesday more interesting.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Of course you let your kids swim. When did we get so pussified as a country to deny children the simple pleasure of a swim in a lake? If a gator takes one then at least you have another one as a backup. And you can be happy that you contributed in a small way to the circle of life. Gators gotta eat too.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Of course you let your kids swim. When did we get so pussified as a country to deny children the simple pleasure of a swim in a lake? If a gator takes one then at least you have another one as a backup. And you can be happy that you contributed in a small way to the circle of life. Gators gotta eat too.
Yeah, J-Lo. Consider yourself a child farmer. You raised a child, provided care so they could grow into a meal for another animal. And like a farmer, you even received tax subsidies for raising them.

J-Lo, if you do bring the edibles and get caught, make sure to give your wife your Swamp password and have her tell the story.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Alligators don't kill people. Shallow water and the rotation of the earth allowing for darkness kills people.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Eat all the cookies before going through security.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I have a brother-in-law who lives on a fairly small lake in Jacksonville. Now, the key here is that he lives in a neighborhood community of full time residents. These people know the lake and it would be very difficult for a gator to show up and not be noticed/dealt with.

We routinely swim in that lake, as do the majority of the other folks.

So, I guess what I'm saying is check with folks that know the area. It's my understanding that gators aren't really into lakes. They like fairly shallow bodies of water, like ponds, swamps (duh), rivers, marshes, etc. I'm not saying they don't hang out in/around lakes... But I don't think that's their typical habitat.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Just don't feed the pot brownies to the gators, cuz that will make them hunger more for swimming children.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote:1.) Let the Evil One swim, but not the Ginger.
No! We must protect the Bronco fan!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote:I have a brother-in-law who lives on a fairly small lake in Jacksonville. Now, the key here is that he lives in a neighborhood community of full time residents. These people know the lake and it would be very difficult for a gator to show up and not be noticed/dealt with.

So, I guess what I'm saying is check with folks that know the area. It's my understanding that gators aren't really into lakes. They like fairly shallow bodies of water, like ponds, swamps (duh), rivers, marshes, etc. I'm not saying they don't hang out in/around lakes... But I don't think that's their typical habitat.
100% incorrect on the bolded part.

However, I do agree with the lake in the neighborhood thoughts. A residential lake would likely have a lot of people who would know if there was a gator around. It's not like they don't come out to bask in the sun. It would be surprising for someone to get attacked without others having seen the gator first.

Don't get me wrong, people waterski, float, swim, etc. in Florida lakes, but you'll never catch me doing it.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:I have a brother-in-law who lives on a fairly small lake in Jacksonville. Now, the key here is that he lives in a neighborhood community of full time residents. These people know the lake and it would be very difficult for a gator to show up and not be noticed/dealt with.

100% incorrect on the bolded part.

However, I do agree with the lake in the neighborhood thoughts. A residential lake would likely have a lot of people who would know if there was a gator around. It's not like they don't come out to bask in the sun. It would be surprising for someone to get attacked without others having seen the gator first.

Don't get me wrong, people waterski, float, swim, etc. in Florida lakes, but you'll never catch me doing it.

Yeah, I think back on things... Pretty sure my BIL was bullshitting us so we wouldn't worry about being in the water.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The search for the missing/eaten two year old at Disney seems like an exercise in futility to me.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

PR damage control. Pretty tough to just say the kid got ate and open the rides (like they ever stopped).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

J-Lo, I didn't even think twice on Friday. They look like normal cookies and no noticeable smell.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Giff wrote:J-Lo, I didn't even think twice on Friday. They look like normal cookies and no noticeable smell.
Yeah I think they smell more like peanut butter than anything. Did you put it in your carry on or luggage?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Carry it on. Throw it in with a banana and a sandwich so it just looks like you're carrying lunch. Buncha rookies around here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Let's say its a 1/100 chance of anything negative happening. With kids, is that really a smart (willful) decision to make?

Signed,

Mister D, 200 years old
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

D's got a point. Have one of the girls carry it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There we go.