Buying glasses/lenses online

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Buying glasses/lenses online

Post by Brontoburglar »

Has anyone tried it?

I have a pair of sunglasses I'm not using because they aren't prescription. I'd have no problem sending them away for a few weeks via a website if it's going to save me a bunch of money for prescription lenses vs. going to my eye doctor/some place around here.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Re: Buying glasses/lenses online

Post by rass »

No. I guess this advice wouldn't help if you already have glasses/frames and are looking for new lenses (and already know your prescription?), but the last time my wife needed new glasses I found her a Groupon that included an exam and new glasses.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've done it several times with a Canadian company called "Clearly."

They even did a great job on my son's glasses, and he wears a heavy duty prescription.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:No. I guess this advice wouldn't help if you already have glasses/frames and are looking for new lenses (and already know your prescription?), but the last time my wife needed new glasses I found her a Groupon that included an exam and new glasses.
I already have glasses and my prescription so it's simply my prescription in a pair of black Ray-Bans *Men In Black song plays*
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

I've purchased a few pairs through Zenni (sunglasses, extra pairs for the kids in case of loss/breakage). I was pretty happy with the results. I don't think they do lenses for existing frames though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Been thinking about this. I've worn the same contacts for years, and suddenly they fuck up my eyes. I had pretty severely inflamed corneas a while back. I've figured out it is due to my contacts. I threw out the box and bought a new box, and same thing. Even wearing them for just 3 hours, and my eyes are fucked up the next 2 or 3 days. Went to the Opthamologist 3 times to treat the first bought, but they weren't good enough to check with contacts.

Point being, I need to look into prescription sunglasses, and don't want to pay the obscene prices at stores. I just can't imagine buying glasses without trying them on first.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote:Been thinking about this. I've worn the same contacts for years, and suddenly they fuck up my eyes. I had pretty severely inflamed corneas a while back. I've figured out it is due to my contacts. I threw out the box and bought a new box, and same thing. Even wearing them for just 3 hours, and my eyes are fucked up the next 2 or 3 days. Went to the Opthamologist 3 times to treat the first bought, but they weren't good enough to check with contacts.

Point being, I need to look into prescription sunglasses, and don't want to pay the obscene prices at stores. I just can't imagine buying glasses without trying them on first.
I've done the Warby Parker thing, where you go on their website, enter a credit card, and can select up to 5 different pairs for them to send you to try on at home. When you find a pair you like, you send them back and fax them your prescription. Pretty easy, and the prices are fairly reasonable.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Been thinking about this. I've worn the same contacts for years, and suddenly they fuck up my eyes. I had pretty severely inflamed corneas a while back. I've figured out it is due to my contacts. I threw out the box and bought a new box, and same thing. Even wearing them for just 3 hours, and my eyes are fucked up the next 2 or 3 days. Went to the Opthamologist 3 times to treat the first bought, but they weren't good enough to check with contacts.

I've done the Warby Parker thing, where you go on their website, enter a credit card, and can select up to 5 different pairs for them to send you to try on at home. When you find a pair you like, you send them back and fax them your prescription. Pretty easy, and the prices are fairly reasonable.
I looked at their site a couple years ago, but they had so few styles, nothing worked for me. They are a client, so I should see if I can get a discount.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have Warby Parkers too, but I'm not a good baseline since they're the first glasses I've ever had to wear.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I have Warby Parkers too, but I'm not a good baseline since they're the first glasses I've ever had to wear.
They have greatly expanded their selection since I last looked. Need to go back to the opthamologist and figure this shit out first
-Pruitt