Fox News

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Fox News

Post by A_B »

Tom 1860 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:32 pm If Fox keeps its customers, it will maintain the same advertising $$$ right. Advertisers know there market and it will remain the same regardless of this settlement right?
They’ve lost some advertisers but yeah any that’s still paying is probably not leaving. The real hit as mentioned a bit was the carriage fees and if they can get top dollar when they renegotiate. I think that’s happening soon. I’m getting my swamping and my podcasting confused and don’t know who said what where.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:12 pm I am very skeptical of/curious about Fox’s ability to keep a lid on the settlement amount. I’m talking about within their own organization. I’m sure everyone else has a financial incentive to keep it confidential.
I’m much less interested in the dollar amount than the release of all the evidence of Fox intentionally airing lies fundamental to upholding Democracy in order to boost their ratings because they openly admit their viewers are complete morons. And I wanted more evidence of the pro-Trump personalities saying horrible things about Trump.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I can't encourage you guys enough... If you didn't read that twitter thread that was posted yesterday, it really paints a very (potentially) bleak picture for Fox.

Their advertising dollars, since around 2019 though today, have plummeted. The ONLY reason they can keep getting away with all of this is because they charge an astronomical fee to the cable/satellite providers to carry Fox "news." Period. They charge $2 per "subscriber" while places like CNN and MSNBC charge somewhere in the .20-.30 range.

I had no idea it was that big of a gap. And they are about to go into negotiations with three of the larger carriers. They've promised shareholders 25-30 higher returns. The ONLY way they can do that is to bump the charge up to $3 per subscriber. Fuck that.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:48 pm
Rex wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:12 pm I am very skeptical of/curious about Fox’s ability to keep a lid on the settlement amount. I’m talking about within their own organization. I’m sure everyone else has a financial incentive to keep it confidential.
I’m much less interested in the dollar amount than the release of all the evidence of Fox intentionally airing lies fundamental to upholding Democracy in order to boost their ratings because they openly admit their viewers are complete morons. And I wanted more evidence of the pro-Trump personalities saying horrible things about Trump.
I wouldn’t do it because I wouldn’t want to risk arrest and prosecution, but an engaging piece of street art/graffiti would be to spray paint or otherwise attach speech balloons next to the large photos of the Fox News hosts on the side of their building on 5th Avenue of what they said about their audience. And the last one could read “I cost my company over three-quarters of a billion dollars with my lies.”
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:18 am I can't encourage you guys enough... If you didn't read that twitter thread that was posted yesterday, it really paints a very (potentially) bleak picture for Fox.

Their advertising dollars, since around 2019 though today, have plummeted. The ONLY reason they can keep getting away with all of this is because they charge an astronomical fee to the cable/satellite providers to carry Fox "news." Period. They charge $2 per "subscriber" while places like CNN and MSNBC charge somewhere in the .20-.30 range.

I had no idea it was that big of a gap. And they are about to go into negotiations with three of the larger carriers. They've promised shareholders 25-30 higher returns. The ONLY way they can do that is to bump the charge up to $3 per subscriber. Fuck that.
What’s to stop Comcast, DirecTV, et al from filing lawsuits against Fox for damaging their brands? Or leverage the threat of those suits to slash their carriage fees by 50%? The reason ESPN costs so much is to (presumably) pay for all the rights to broadcast league/conference games. What’s Fox’s excuse?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fox News probably has more hardcore, watch every day viewers that keep their ratings up than any other single network on cable. ESPN likely included.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:26 am Fox News probably has more hardcore, watch every day viewers that keep their ratings up than any other single network on cable. ESPN likely included.
Monday's cable TV programs with over two million total viewers:

NBA - Warriors-Kings (4.32 million)
Tucker Carlson (3.17 million)
The Five (3.09 million)

NBA - Nets-Sixers (3.00 million)
Hannity (2.61 million)
Rachel Maddow Show (2.50 million)
Jesse Watters Primetime (2.42 million)
Special Report with Bret Baier (2.23 million)

They were 24 cable TV shows with over one million viewers (WWE Raw is broken into three separate hours and are three of them). Fox News had 12 of them. They all had at least 250,000 more viewers than ESPN's highest-rated NHL playoff game (Panthers-Bruins).

Their demographic skews very old, but they are absolutely daily viewers.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

3 million people calling everyone they talk to "sheep"
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

FWIW, Smartmatic (another voting machine company) has a $2.7B defamation case still out there.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And there's talk of a shareholder class-action/derivative lawsuit, though I suppose if none of this hurt Fox's stock price, it might not go anywhere.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:49 pm And there's talk of a shareholder class-action/derivative lawsuit, though I suppose if none of this hurt Fox's stock price, it might not go anywhere.
Let's all agree to sell our shares so the price drops!
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:41 pm 3 million people calling everyone they talk to "sheep"
Such free thinkers they don't even know what they're all going to think in unison a few months from now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:49 pm And there's talk of a shareholder class-action/derivative lawsuit, though I suppose if none of this hurt Fox's stock price, it might not go anywhere.
A real BOD would care if they were lying on TV as something that could hurt the brand might affect stock price, but that probably isn't the reality here.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:56 pm
A real BOD would care if they were lying on TV as something that could hurt the brand might affect stock price, but that probably isn't the reality here.
This brings up Fox's defense against some claims regarding Tucker Carlson - we're an entertainment brand that no one would really take seriously.

One of the things Carlson mentioned in his panicked emails right after the election was that Fox's stock price was dropping as their audience left them for OANN and NewsMax. So it's quite possible that Fox's lies about Dominion actually benefited Fox's shareholders.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:31 pm

This brings up Fox's defense against some claims regarding Tucker Carlson - we're an entertainment brand that no one would really take seriously.

One of the things Carlson mentioned in his panicked emails right after the election was that Fox's stock price was dropping as their audience left them for OANN and NewsMax. So it's quite possible that Fox's lies about Dominion actually benefited Fox's shareholders.
Sure the lies benefited the shareholders, it’s getting caught in the lie that’s the problem.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BREAKING: Dan Bongino Parts Ways With Fox News
Conservative commentator and Fox News host Dan Bongino is reportedly out at the network.

Bongino, the host of Unfiltered and Fox Nation’s Canceled in the USA, has been let go, according to reporting from Forbes. The network confirmed the departure in a statement to Forbes, saying “We thank Dan for his contributions and wish him success in his future endeavors.”
Does that count as ironic?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I laughed

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:05 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:31 pm

Sure the lies benefited the shareholders, it’s getting caught in the lie that’s the problem.
Here is a decent update on the shareholder lawsuit from Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/legal/fox-inves ... 023-04-17/

It was written right before the settlement. Everyone I've listened to yesterday/today are saying the settlement strengthens the position of both Smartmatic and this shareholder case. Fox is now operating from a position of relative weakness.

You guys probably remember, shareholders sued Fox for mismanaging all the sexual harassment stuff and another one over illegally hacking into ppl's personal/business cell phones in the UK. Combined, those amounted to around $220M.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And I guess I'll drop this in here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... g-contest/

MyPillow AKA Prince Fucking Moron AKA Mike Lindell is being ordered to pay up on his "prove my claims are false" nonsense.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:57 amYou guys probably remember, shareholders sued Fox for mismanaging all the sexual harassment stuff and another one over illegally hacking into ppl's personal/business cell phones in the UK. Combined, those amounted to around $220M.
Those don't advance the brand like this did.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Yeah, the shareholder suit will either get thrown out on legal grounds unrelated to the merits or it will settle for big money. It’s not a securities fraud suit, so you don’t need to show that the stock price dropped.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rex wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:19 am Yeah, the shareholder suit will either get thrown out on legal grounds unrelated to the merits or it will settle for big money. It’s not a securities fraud suit, so you don’t need to show that the stock price dropped.
Hm. Shareholders have to prove they were harmed. That basically means lower stock prices, because that's the main benefit shareholders get from investment in these large corporations. Unless Fox was known for paying large dividends that took a hit because of all this.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It’s derivative, they just have to show that the company was harmed. None of you are going to like this, but in a lawsuit of this type, the recovery goes to the company. That’s what happened in the sexual harassment suit—Fox was paid $90 million, presumably from insurance money. It also agreed to some corporate reforms, which I’m sure led to a very large attorney fee award to the plaintiffs’ attorneys. That’s what will probably happen here—the shareholders won’t get anything, there will be some new journalistic truthiness review board established at Fox, and the lawyers bringing the suit will walk away with a huge bag of money.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:18 am I can't encourage you guys enough... If you didn't read that twitter thread that was posted yesterday, it really paints a very (potentially) bleak picture for Fox.

Okay I did not read the full thread but isn't the carrier fee going to also come with the packages of fox channels. You don't just get forced to take Fox News in your standard cable package, but you get FXX, FX, Fox Sports, FS2, Fox Deportes, BTN, and such. The total Fox take may not need to push the Fox News fee. Just move more programming to the other sister channels.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:56 pm Okay I did not read the full thread but isn't the carrier fee going to also come with the packages of fox channels. You don't just get forced to take Fox News in your standard cable package, but you get FXX, FX, Fox Sports, FS2, Fox Deportes, BTN, and such. The total Fox take may not need to push the Fox News fee. Just move more programming to the other sister channels.
Don't forget about Fox Soul!

(Yes, Fox News has an "urban" channel. It's tagline is "Our Voice, Our Truth". https://foxsoul.tv/)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:56 pm

Okay I did not read the full thread but isn't the carrier fee going to also come with the packages of fox channels. You don't just get forced to take Fox News in your standard cable package, but you get FXX, FX, Fox Sports, FS2, Fox Deportes, BTN, and such. The total Fox take may not need to push the Fox News fee. Just move more programming to the other sister channels.
Warner Bros/Discovery, Paramount, NBC Universal, etc. all bundle, but there is a channel-specific charge. The Fox News fee is the Fox News fee. FX has its own, as does FS1 and on down the line. They all get grouped together, so if you are a provider who wants to provide FX to your customers, you have to provide (and charge for) them all.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Right. They had another battle but it was over their Fox Sports channels a few years back. They have to negotiate the "news" stuff separately.

And just to be redundant, because stuff gets lost on here sometimes. Fox News wants to charge $3 per subscriber. It is currently $2/subscriber. Your CNNs charge somewhere in the .70-.90 range.

They do have a very loyal and consistent viewership. But it's not THAT many people. And here's why they aren't operating from a great place: Their viewership is WAY down. In 2020 they had 3.6M daily viewers, in 2021 that number shrank to 2.39M and 2022 was 2.37M. I'm not great with math but losing about 1.3M daily viewers in 2 years is pretty amazing. It appears they may have bottomed out, but where they used to triple up on CNN and MSNBC, now there's a puncher's chance (they are at .7M at CNN and 1.2M at MSNBC).

For another time, but holy shit CNN is getting pummeled. MSNBC taking over as the second most watched is telling to me. CNN's effort to what about and both sides things is not winning the day.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Good get for the LIV Tour
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Someone give me odds that CNN is paying him within the decade.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Admittedly, I never reached the heights of my professional career that I had hoped for or had the potential to, but I also never cost my company over three-quarters of a billion dollars either.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, that's where he started... And they cut checks to Rick Santorum so... odds are pretty good?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Wonder if he'll try something like Glenn Beck's short-lived "redemption tour?"
Canadian International
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Order of his landing spots IMO

---Newsmax
---CNN
---MSNBC
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

MSNBC's surge past CNN is almost entirely based on them leaning into anti-Trump and anti-MAGA. Highly unlikely they'll fuck with that to provide this guy some kind of oops I did it again platform.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

umm...could he throw his hat into the ring for 2024?

start watching to see if he starts popping up in Iowa or New Hampshire.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

CNN picked a good day to fire Don Lemon…that will get buried in the news cycle.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:43 am
Perfect timing, just watched the season 2 finale of Succession last night. Sure seems like a blood sacrifice. I think they should give up Cousin Greg, too.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »