Fox News

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Fox News

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Gonna point out the obvious: The fact that the statement says his last show was last Friday and he doesn't get to have a sign off show... And that he didn't say anything on Friday and acted like he would see everyone on Monday.

Yeah, "mutually agreed" is absolute bullshit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Can this dude's firing have been part of the official settlement agreement?

Or was it like "You're going to give us this massive pile of money. And also, before we sign, you will fucking agree to fire this list of people or it's Dominion News."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It could have been, but assuming the settlement is private, I highly doubt we'll ever know. I also highly doubt Dominion really gives a fuck. The Dominion suit was about money, and only money. We were all pissed that we didn't get to see Fox get dragged through the mud in public, but that ain't Dominion's job.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I gotta admit, I'm really finding this amusing. I just wish it were more obvious what shitty thing he did that got him fired. Hopefully that will come out.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:31 pm Gonna point out the obvious: The fact that the statement says his last show was last Friday and he doesn't get to have a sign off show... And that he didn't say anything on Friday and acted like he would see everyone on Monday.

Yeah, "mutually agreed" is absolute bullshit.
"We're firing you, and we mutually agree your ass isn't working here anymore."
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:55 pm I gotta admit, I'm really finding this amusing. I just wish it were more obvious what shitty thing he did that got him fired. Hopefully that will come out.
According to the story in the WaPost (Tucker Carlson is out at Fox News after Dominion lawsuit disclosures)
But it was Carlson’s comments about Fox management, as revealed in the Dominion case, that played a role in his departure from Fox, a person familiar with the company’s thinking told The Post.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:49 pm It could have been, but assuming the settlement is private, I highly doubt we'll ever know. I also highly doubt Dominion really gives a fuck. The Dominion suit was about money, and only money. We were all pissed that we didn't get to see Fox get dragged through the mud in public, but that ain't Dominion's job.
Fair.

Dave's comment above this one makes more sense.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I thought the settlement agreement was disclosed and hardly said anything. That’s how we knew right away that Fox wouldn’t make on-air apologies.

I’m curious whether Fox is buying Carlson out. Presumably he has a contract.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:30 pm I thought the settlement agreement was disclosed and hardly said anything. That’s how we knew right away that Fox wouldn’t make on-air apologies.

I’m curious whether Fox is buying Carlson out. Presumably he has a contract.
I would guess they're just paying him out without a non-compete to make it as easy as possible. Based on the settlement, it's pretty much a rounding error, especially if it helps them not get crushed in their carrier fee negotiations.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I wonder if the other two lawsuits (Smartmatic and shareholders) didn't somehow play into this, at least partially. As in, is there some kind of liability of allowing the guy that did the most damage in terms of spreading the Big Lie (ratings wise) to stay on the air.

Lawyers? Any value from a defense standpoint with firing Carlson.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:18 pm I wonder if the other two lawsuits (Smartmatic and shareholders) didn't somehow play into this, at least partially. As in, is there some kind of liability of allowing the guy that did the most damage in terms of spreading the Big Lie (ratings wise) to stay on the air.

Lawyers? Any value from a defense standpoint with firing Carlson.
I think firing Carlson hurts the defense, because it's basically an admission that Carlson did something wrong.

It's theoretically possible that Fox could exclude evidence of Carlson's firing under the exclusion for "subsequent remedial measures." That typically comes up in personal injury cases. I don't know if it would apply to defamation.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

But he/they are also being sued for sexual harassment. And obviously, not for the first time. I think in that case, it very much does matter if you don't address the problem and allow it to continue.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, there's a lawsuit from a former producer that paints a VERY ugly picture/culture for Carlson's show. Lots of shitty misogynistic, homophobic and xenophobic comments.

Listening to Pod Save... Apparently (and again, not shockingly), many of the producers had to be let go over the years for posting on extremely far right (racist) message boards.

So, yeah...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

From comedian Josh Gondelman's newsletter:

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Gonna make 2 very obvious points:

* I don't know, I could be missing someone, but I think Tucker is the only person to have been fired from all three major cable news channels. Kewl.

* I'm really thinking he got fired because of the toxic culture and potential harassment lawsuit. His predecessor (O'Reilly) said all sorts of vile shit and he was kept around until the sexual harassment stuff finally dragged him down.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:18 pm * I'm really thinking he got fired because of the toxic culture and potential harassment lawsuit. His predecessor (O'Reilly) said all sorts of vile shit and he was kept around until the sexual harassment stuff finally dragged him down.
Saw this earlier today...

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The clip packages I'm seeing the last two days - because I don't watch these guys on purpose, ever -- he's a fucking nutjob. His fake laugh alone shows signs of serious mental illness.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It's always the ones you most suspect.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Should've stuck to the n-word and he would have been fine there.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'm going to interpret that as he said "cum" a lot.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Green M&M is way less sexy without the go-go boots.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Basically just a dude recapping the WSJ article from today on why Carlson was fired.

* - He apparently called a Fox female executive a cunt and maybe some other stuff. Said that his text about hating Trump was a momentary spasm of anger, but he wanted the world to know this is really how he feels about this exec.

* - He had come to see himself as bigger than the Network and was increasingly operating on an island. Something you don't do in Murdochland.

* - Executives were increasingly set-off by his "thinly veiled racism" BECAUSE it made the show toxic to "blue chip" companies. So, it comes down to money. With the ratings as high as they were, no legit companies would pay for time on such a toxic/shitty show.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:01 pm Green M&M is way less sexy without the go-go boots.
DiSantis stole them.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This Variety Fair article goes even deeper on the why of it all.

Tucker Carlson’s Prayer Talk May Have Led to Fox News Ouster: “That Stuff Freaks Rupert Out”
Rupert Murdoch was perhaps unnerved by Carlson’s messianism because it echoed the end-times worldview of Murdoch’s ex-fiancée Ann Lesley Smith, the source said. In my May cover story, I reported that Murdoch and Smith called off their two-week engagement because Smith had told people Carlson was “a messenger from God.”
David Doel with the rundown on everything:

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

While I get that cruelty is always the point with these fucksticks, man...you can never forget they're just so fucking stupid as well.
Noli Timere Messorem
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And some of you were rooting for the Ravens because you think Lamar pisses off the right wingers…
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:01 am And I guess I'll drop this in here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... g-contest/

MyPillow AKA Prince Fucking Moron AKA Mike Lindell is being ordered to pay up on his "prove my claims are false" nonsense.
Federal Judge Agrees
Canadian International