Fox News

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Fox News

Post by Steve of phpBB »

$$$$$
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I had to go to their website this morning and good god what a terrible site. Seems pretty obvious it's just make the headlines big because no one is reading the articles anyway.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I purposely didn't say anything about punishment.

It's embarrassing AF for the entire talking head crew to get dragged through the process, where their text messages admitting to lying and more hilariously how much they hated Trump and thought Giuliani and the woman whose name I refuse to commit to memory are/were whack jobs.

I always think of those folks that are "independent" that watch Fox and maybe CNN. When a network is called out for being a propaganda arm of the MAGA bullshit factory, that aint good.

But, I fully realize the vast majority of the viewers a) aren't even hearing about the case and b) wouldn't care even if they were. I'm more just sitting here grinning because Tucker and Hannity and Pirlo and Bartiromo probably clung to the notion that they had some kind of credibility prior to Trump.

They are now fully exposed as lying clowns. They are either too stupid to understand what they were doing, or more likely, just really shitty people concerned about upsetting the base and keeping the gravy train rolling.

And while it's a drop in the bucket, $1B isn't nothing for an outfit whose annual profit is $14B.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:43 am Advertisers? Carriages by cable providers? Losing those would be punishment.
Advertisers who haven't left by now aren't going to leave because of this. Scared elderly people need to buy their gold and doomsday food supplies! They could get hit with an enormous judgment against them, and the Judge seems to side with the Dominion on everything so far.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:56 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:43 am Advertisers? Carriages by cable providers? Losing those would be punishment.
Advertisers who haven't left by now aren't going to leave because of this. Scared elderly people need to buy their gold and doomsday food supplies! They could get hit with an enormous judgment against them, and the Judge seems to side with the Dominion on everything so far.
They eventually have to renegotiate their carriage fees to the cable providers when those contracts come up. They won’t be able to command top dollar anymore.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, the judge is PISSED because he just found out that Fox withheld stuff they should've handed over in discovery. Apparently, he can tell the jury about that and advise them to look at the stuff not handed over with prejudice (that's not the right term, but it's the right flavor.)

The "stuff" are recordings made by a former Tucker Carlson producer of Fox folks who were hearing that the Dominion claims from Rudy and "that woman" were bullshit. And that was coming from folks on the Trump campaign.

Some of the stuff that comes out of this trial is no doubt going to be used as evidence, or at least provide the breadcrumbs for the special prosecutor looking at Trump and co for the J6 debacle. Specifically, they are now looking at wire fraud around the issue of Trump fundraising off the notion of a stolen election... They knew it was all bullshit, yet they sent out multiple emails every day fundraising to "stop the steal."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:02 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:56 am
They eventually have to renegotiate their carriage fees to the cable providers when those contracts come up. They won’t be able to command top dollar anymore.
How many viewers do you think they lose over this? If you are still watching FoxNews, you MIGHT see this story, and if you do, you blow it off as Liberal Media lies, because Fox already trained you that everything on Fox is true, and any outlet giving contrary information are "fake news" Liberal propaganda designed to destroy America.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, the only real world consequence I see in this is that Fox will be slightly less likely to base an entire smear campaign on demonstrably false claims.

And the $$, but really, like I said before, that's a drop in the bucket in the long term.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hate to be cynical, but I'll believe they lose those when I see it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Another nugget of info:

The judge has already stipulated that what Fox put out over the air were untrue statements about Dominion machines. He will instruct the jury at the beginning of the trial. That's pretty big.

What the jury is going to be determining is whether it was done with malice.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:39 pm Another nugget of info:

The judge has already stipulated that what Fox put out over the air were untrue statements about Dominion machines. He will instruct the jury at the beginning of the trial. That's pretty big.

Damn, I'd think proving it was lies would be 75% of the battle.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:07 pm

Yup, exactly. It's REALLY hard to sue media companies in this country.

The fact that these morons put so many damning statements in texts and emails is astounding.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The only way for Fox News to actually lose would have to be a mandated name change to Fox Entertainment or have a screen before every program for 15 seconds that says "The following program is not news. It is an opinion show. Please independently verify the substance of what's discussed. For entertainment purposes only" something.

They have to be delegitimized in the starkest way possible. If not they'll be on their bullshit once the case concludes, regardless of outcome.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If the jury is going to be instructed to find the statements false, you’d have to think that they probably are going to settle sooner rather than later.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:29 pm

If the jury is going to be instructed to find the statements false, you’d have to think that they probably are going to settle sooner rather than later.
I think I read a while back that Dominion is refusing to settle. They are more interested in the facts coming out than the settlement money.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I really don't think the average Fox News viewer gives enough of a shit to change where they get their news from.

I really don't think people with a television provider that includes Fox News is going to drop their service, change their viewing package, etc. to drop Fox News because most people don't care enough to deal with that or lose other programming they want to keep by changing their provider/package, including other channels that are all bundled together as part of getting Fox News (like FX, FS1, or YES, etc.).

I say the latter as someone who won't change from DirecTV.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I hadn't heard that about Dominion, but the trial starts Monday.

All that I've read and heard is that Fox is definitely behind the 8 ball, BUT malice is really hard to prove.

What is in Dominion's favor is that many of the Fox people are on record (either email, text or recorded) saying that any fact checking on Dominion and keeping the narrative going was important to retain viewers, keep the stock price up, and maintain ad revenue. I'm no lawyer, but that's pretty clearly indicating the intent of spreading lies (which, again, is already stipulated to pre-trial.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:44 pm I hadn't heard that about Dominion, but the trial starts Monday.

All that I've read and heard is that Fox is definitely behind the 8 ball, BUT malice is really hard to prove.

What is in Dominion's favor is that many of the Fox people are on record (either email, text or recorded) saying that any fact checking on Dominion and keeping the narrative going was important to retain viewers, keep the stock price up, and maintain ad revenue. I'm no lawyer, but that's pretty clearly indicating the intent of spreading lies (which, again, is already stipulated to pre-trial.)
I'm too lazy to look into this, but when you say they have to prove malice, is that malice towards Dominion or just a "bad" intent? I don't know if it's possible to prove Fox had malicious intent towards Dominion, I think Dominion was just collateral damage in their malicious intent to lie to their viewers to make them believe the Presidential election was fraudulent or their malicious intent to appease the Man-child head of their Party.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.justsecurity.org/85918/fox- ... amendment/

So, I left out an important term that occurred last week. The judge issued a partial summary judgement, siding with Dominion. That's what I was talking about earlier.

Here is the answer to your question, from that piece.
The jury need only decide whether Fox News spread the false claims about Dominion while knowing that they were untrue or being reckless as to their falsity, and to determine what, if any, damages Dominion should receive to compensate it for the harm from Fox News’ actions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Winning SJ on that seems pretty huge to me, but I definitely don't handle that type of case.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:35 pm Winning SJ on that seems pretty huge to me, but I definitely don't handle that type of case.
You’ve never handled a billion dollar defamation case concerning the Presidential election? Ambulance chaser.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:02 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:35 pm Winning SJ on that seems pretty huge to me, but I definitely don't handle that type of case.
You’ve never handled a billion dollar defamation case concerning the Presidential election? Ambulance chaser.
It's a hole in my resume for sure.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just needed a "p" for a nice little ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Here is a thread that explains some of the issues facing Fox News and how the Dominion trial can affect them:

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Fuck, that really sucks. I'm guessing Fox threw a huge number at Dominion with airtight NDAs, so we won't hear shit.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I am very skeptical of/curious about Fox’s ability to keep a lid on the settlement amount. I’m talking about within their own organization. I’m sure everyone else has a financial incentive to keep it confidential.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:12 pm I am very skeptical of/curious about Fox’s ability to keep a lid on the settlement amount. I’m talking about within their own organization. I’m sure everyone else has a financial incentive to keep it confidential.
I'd say we know within 48 hours.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Guess they realized it wasn’t worth it to even try to keep it confidential.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I’ve never been before Judge Eric Davis, for what it’s worth, so he may be right.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Seems low for a settlement this late. Maybe Fox is on the hook for all lawyering fees as well?

I mean, if I were on deal or no deal and the only remaining numbers left were $1.6B and $1, I'd take this.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Am I being an idiot non-lawyer or is there a path here to a settlement/NDA with enough room to almost immediately appeal payment on grounds of Dominion violating some blurry term of the agreement?

(Its been a fear of mine to be involved in an NDA where for the rest of my life I'm terrified something will slip and I'll lose twice.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:28 pm Am I being an idiot non-lawyer or is there a path here to a settlement/NDA with enough room to almost immediately appeal payment on grounds of Dominion violating some blurry term of the agreement?

(Its been a fear of mine to be involved in an NDA where for the rest of my life I'm terrified something will slip and I'll lose twice.)
I was thinking of the other side messing up. Fox probably had to agree to terms of what their talent could say on air in the future about the company. Guessing there will be lawyers and execs ready to hit the on the on air mute button with a follow up of commentators on twitter whining about being censored.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:39 pm Here is a thread that explains some of the issues facing Fox News and how the Dominion trial can affect them:

Well, that shit was fascinating. And now we can all hate Fox more than we already did. Had no idea they were jacking everyone's cable bills like that.

Fuckers.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd like the people who claim Soros funds (everything) to explain why Soros didn't back Dominion to keep the lawsuit going.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

If Fox keeps its customers, it will maintain the same advertising $$$ right. Advertisers know there market and it will remain the same regardless of this settlement right?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Yeah, they're very likely gonna be just fine.

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Damn shame this didn't get to trial...would have been worth it to hear the additional dirty laundry get aired.

The real crime is no on-air retractions or apologies. Carry on as if nothing happened...the whole thing will be forgotten by next quarterly reports.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?